2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have not received an email in April. The email I received was in March after statement review that I was referred and will be contacted if they want an interview I notice alot of people in this blog got that email and there was major confusion bc we all got not referred emails and later in the day we got referred. Haventreceived an email about an interview or doodle poll as of yet.
I believe the e-mail you are referring to came from the USAJobs system and I think it was to just update your status on USAJobs to show that you had made it to the personal statement phase. However, it is not guaranteed that you will get an interview if you wrote a personal statement in March. Continue to check your e-mail throughout this next week, as they do send notifications out in waves. From last year, people got e-mails within a span of a couple of days, so don't lose hope just yet. Unfortunately, if you do not get an interview, they seem to stop all communication completely.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the referred email was just them updating our status on USA jobs to indicate which of us had moved forward to the personal statement round. It was not an email saying we were referred based our personal statement. Last year they sent out the emails for interviews in batches, so perhaps you will receive one this week. If you are selected for an interview you will receive an email explicitly saying you were selected for an interview. A second email comes after that with a doodle poll to actually schedule the interview.
Thanks!

I have checked USA jobs and my email and no interview request. Should I be checking the cdc application portal where I submitted my documents? Can someone provide me with that link please I didnt save it

Members don't see this ad :)
I have checked USA jobs and my email and no interview request. Should I be checking the cdc application portal where I submitted my documents? Can someone provide me with that link please I didnt save it

Here is the link: https://fms.cdc.gov/Legacy/Application/PHAP/HomePage.aspx

They will email you if you get an interview. My USA jobs and status on the CDC portal has remained the same. I don't think they are updating either of those yet, or perhaps at all for this phase. Check whatever email address you provided. From what I understand if you aren't selected to move to a subsequent round they just cut all communication. Seems odd, as it leaves people wondering and hanging, but that is what all all previous applicants have said.

Here is the link: https://fms.cdc.gov/Legacy/Application/PHAP/HomePage.aspx

They will email you if you get an interview. My USA jobs and status on the CDC portal has remained the same. I don't think they are updating either of those yet, or perhaps at all for this phase. Check whatever email address you provided. From what I understand if you aren't selected to move to a subsequent round they just cut all communication. Seems odd, as it leaves people wondering and hanging, but that is what all all previous applicants have said.
Thanks! It says its under review.

Thanks! It says its under review.

Mine also says under review and my USA jobs says referred. I don't think they are updating either system yet. They are just sending out emails to notify for a interview request and to schedule it.

does anyone know when this "supposedly" wave of emails should end? aka when should I stop checking my email almost every hour?

Reactions: 1 user
So, I emailed PHAP last week my Skype email, but I didn't have a username because my Skype is linked to my Microsoft account and it doesn't allow me separate them or create an username. PHAP sent me an email stating that I need to reread the directions and follow them (which I did lol), so I restated that I didn't have the option to create a username.

I'm slightly panicking. Should I just find another device (Windows), download Skype, and create a username/password that way? If so, then I have two days to find one lol. I created my account on the app for my iPhone, then tried on my Chromebook.

does anyone know when this "supposedly" wave of emails should end? aka when should I stop checking my email almost every hour?

Right there with you... I have my fingers crossed but I would like to know when I should look into other options.

Hi everyone! I'm Brigit, and I am a 2016 PHAP currently working in Long Beach, California but originally from Chicago. I remember being in your shoes not too long ago with all the nerves, uncertainty and checking your email every 5 minutes. I have been helping a few of the possible 2017 PHAPs with any questions or concerns they have and thought I could open it up to all of you as well. So feel free to contact me via email at [email protected] if you have something I can help you with. I hope you'll be able to join us at the CDC! GOOD LUCK :)

Reactions: 1 users
So, I emailed PHAP last week my Skype email, but I didn't have a username because my Skype is linked to my Microsoft account and it doesn't allow me separate them or create an username. PHAP sent me an email stating that I need to reread the directions and follow them (which I did lol), so I restated that I didn't have the option to create a username.

I'm slightly panicking. Should I just find another device (Windows), download Skype, and create a username/password that way? If so, then I have two days to find one lol. I created my account on the app for my iPhone, then tried on my Chromebook.
Oh no! I did the same thing and put the e-mail that I use for Skype in my reply. I haven't received an e-mail from them stating that I need a separate username, though I'm sure I'll get one soon if that's the case. That's odd though because they should know that many Skype accounts are now linked to Microsoft accounts. It doesn't make a difference whether a person has an actual Skype username or a Microsoft account when searching for them in the system.

Oh no! I did the same thing and put the e-mail that I use for Skype in my reply. I haven't received an e-mail from them stating that I need a separate username, though I'm sure I'll get one soon if that's the case. That's odd though because they should know that many Skype accounts are now linked to Microsoft accounts. It doesn't make a difference whether a person has an actual Skype username or a Microsoft account when searching for them in the system.
That's what I was thinking! When they responded, all they did was copy and paste from the initial email the section that provided information about the Skype interview. If you do get an email, just let me know what they said. Part of me wishes that they just did an interview with Google Hangouts lol.

Hi everyone! I'm Brigit, and I am a 2016 PHAP currently working in Long Beach, California but originally from Chicago. I remember being in your shoes not too long ago with all the nerves, uncertainty and checking your email every 5 minutes. I have been helping a few of the possible 2017 PHAPs with any questions or concerns they have and thought I could open it up to all of you as well. So feel free to contact me via email at [email protected] if you have something I can help you with. I hope you'll be able to join us at the CDC! GOOD LUCK :)
Thank you!!! I will definitely be contacting you if you have any questions or concerns! Does the program tell you the statistics about the incoming class/possible candidates?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I was thinking! When they responded, all they did was copy and paste from the initial email the section that provided information about the Skype interview. If you do get an email, just let me know what they said. Part of me wishes that they just did an interview with Google Hangouts lol.

I was approached with the same situation, but I used my laptop and created an account not associated with Microsoft and the whole email thing. I'm glad I did because if I got that email from them back, I would be frustrated. Try not going through the mobile sites, and try creating an account with your phone number first and not the email option.

HAPPY NATIONAL PUBLIC HEALTH WEEK! Excited to possibly be a part of PHAP :)

For sure! I hope they contact me soon if it's an issue. May try to go ahead and make another Skype account with an actual username in case it happens. Hopefully my interviewer doesn't get confused though if both accounts end up popping up

For sure! I hope they contact me soon if it's an issue. May try to go ahead and make another Skype account with an actual username in case it happens. Hopefully my interviewer doesn't get confused though if both accounts end up popping up
That's what I may have to do as well. I think I may make my username related to PHAP so that they can differentiate lol. I'll definitely try using your approach @YMT2012. Thanks!!

Hey! I had a similar concern but figured it out. If you go on Skype and search for the email you used, your profile should pull up. Click on it and it will have your "username".

Hey! I had a similar concern but figured it out. If you go on Skype and search for the email you used, your profile should pull up. Click on it and it will have your "username".
Did the "username" consist of live: and a whole bunch of numbers and letters?

I received my interview e-mail on March 30th, but I'm assuming they've been sending e-mails after that date as well like they did in the second phase. On the e-mail, it said that I had to reply with my Skype username and fill out the doodle poll to schedule my interview by April 5. Interviews take place from April 17-April 28. Hope this helps.

I received my interview e-mail on March 30th, but I'm assuming they've been sending e-mails after that date as well like they did in the second phase. On the e-mail, it said that I had to reply with my Skype username and fill out the doodle poll to schedule my interview by April 5. Interviews take place from April 17-April 28. Hope this helps.
Thank you! I think I should start looking at other options no interview email yet. Best of luck to you

Thank you!!! I am still walking on eggshells. I assume maybe the second wave is sent after the first batch schedules it until the 5th, I do not know. *wishful thinking* Thank you once again!

Same here. Do you any other programs or options by any chance? Thank you.
Not from the top of my head I dont. What im gonna do is look at local job postings online. Where are you located?

I tried creating another Skype account with my phone number like @YMT2012 suggested, but it says that my number is also already linked to Microsoft. PHAP sent me another email this morning stating that they would escalate my issue to another person and they will contact me.

Sidenote: I used my friend's Skype account and searched for my account using my email and only one account popped up (the right account).

I tried creating another Skype account with my phone number like @YMT2012 suggested, but it says that my number is also already linked to Microsoft. PHAP sent me another email this morning stating that they would escalate my issue to another person and they will contact me.

Sidenote: I used my friend's Skype account and searched for my account using my email and only one account popped up (the right account).
That's so weird! I haven't received an e-mail from them regarding any issue with what I sent in. I've been keeping a lookout on my e-mail though in case they do because of your situation. When the other person contacts you later today, I would clarify and restate that the e-mail you sent in is attached to your Skype account and is what you use to log in and out of Skype. Other than that, just keep trying to create a new Skype account with an actual username, but personally, I feel that you sending in an e-mail as opposed to an actual username shouldn't be a big ordeal.

Congrats to those who made it to Phase III! I have NOT yet received an email, so unless I get lucky and fill a spot that someone else missed, I'll be looking forward to next year.

Nevertheless I'd be grateful if I could ask some applicants about their background. Namely their approach towards their personal statement. Can anyone help me with this?

Check your PMs or message me your email address if you made it! I'd like to know some information for when I apply next year!

Congrats to those who made it to Phase III! I have NOT yet received an email, so unless I get lucky and fill a spot that someone else missed, I'll be looking forward to next year.

Nevertheless I'd be grateful if I could ask some applicants about their background. Namely their approach towards their personal statement. Can anyone help me with this?

Check your PMs or message me your email address if you made it! I'd like to know some information for when I apply next year!

I really wish they would give feedback on the reasons why we may have not gotten in... I am in the same boat.

I don't have a username associated with my Skype account because I used my email account to sign up for it. I just sent them my email address and stated that it was associated with my Skype account. I received a confirmation email back.

@tondo21 and @tinyc32 the associate that emailed me from the CDC was basically saying the same thing. As long as I provided an email that was linked to the account that I wanted, then it shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to send one more email to PHAP, just to make sure that they have my information and that my email is associated with a Skype account.

Looks like they updated the FMS link... I guess I'll try again next year.
Oh no :/ Definitely try again next year. Last year, I applied and didn't even make it past Phase I. This year, I applied and didn't think I'd here back. It would be nice to know what they are looking for.

I think we all want feedback but here's what I gather

1. Getting through the federal government application is first passing through an automated scan of your resume. There is quite a lot of details about each job posting and that will help you write the specific resume to show you are a candidate. I have taken federal resume classes through my job, and hopefully you can find a way to take one.

2. I have done some research into PHAP. You can be the best of the best, but still not get a matching. It varies every year based on what host sites apply to get a PHAP associate.

3. For personal statements, I'm sure everyone showed their passion. I have learned that it's not how well educated you are in the field, but the passion you can clearly (and concisely) express. There are lots more to say on personal statements and the interview section.

Since I haven't gone through the interview yet, I won't say anything about it yet.

PM me if you want to scratch my brain. BUT importantly, keep trying and not being accepted is definitely not a wall to change your path.

Ps. I actually never got feed back from other jobs I e applied too. Especially federal jobs. There are so many applicants to give individual feed back to. not sure if I'm for or against it but just assuming from the 3k+ who apply and less than 200 get assigned.

I have gotten feedback about my interview process after I got hired and why I was more or less picked. But also after I built a rapport.

Last edited:
I got to Phase III. Do any current PHAPs have suggestions for how to handle the interview?

Congratulations to everyone who got to Phase III!

Not from the top of my head I dont. What im gonna do is look at local job postings online. Where are you located?
hi there. I am actually in NY, but do not seem to have any luck after applying to local ones here. If anyone knows anything, even outside NY with similar programs such as PHAP, please feel free to chip in..thank you!

Oh no :/ Definitely try again next year. Last year, I applied and didn't even make it past Phase I. This year, I applied and didn't think I'd here back. It would be nice to know what they are looking for.
Hi, If you do not mind me asking...what did you do differently the second time around? Thank you

I agree @Beece congrats to those onto Phase III. Please do share your input for the people that want to give it another shot!

For those of you who received an interview invitation, what does your status on usajobs say now?
It should still say referred. You should have gotten an email saying that you've gotten an interview. If you've received an email, tomorrow is the LAST DAY to sign up for an interview slot.

Also, the interviews are conducted via Skype. So, if you haven't created a Skype account, please do so asap!

I don't know if this would help but when I submitted my information, i recreated a new Skype account and I took a screenshot of my profile info so they can directly find me and know which account I was using. This helped with confusing for which account since I had the same account issue before.

I don't know if this would help but when I submitted my information, i recreated a new Skype account and I took a screenshot of my profile info so they can directly find me and know which account I was using. This helped with confusing for which account since I had the same account issue before.

This is an excellent idea. I did this as well because when I search my full name multiple accounts show up. I think there are even two accounts associated with my email. I don't know how that is even possible, but that is what it looks like when I do a search while logged onto my account. I made my profile picture pretty distinctive and sent them a screenshot of my skype user information as well.

Hi, If you do not mind me asking...what did you do differently the second time around? Thank you
Hi! It's not a problem. Honestly, I feel like I didn't do anything differently. I answered the job questions on USAJobs the same way. With my resume, I used some of the same wording and language that the job post had as it related to my personal experiences. Also, within the year, I ended up starting grad school (so I had a better sense of what I wanted to do in public health), I volunteered locally with different agencies that are related to my interests and public health, and I took some of the online trainings and courses that the CDC and Khan Academy offer during my time off between undergrad and grad school.

I applied and completely forgot that I applied, until I was notified for phase II. Even then, I didn't want to get my hopes too high because I know how competitive this program is.

I think we all want feedback but here's what I gather

1. Getting through the federal government application is first passing through an automated scan of your resume. There is quite a lot of details about each job posting and that will help you write the specific resume to show you are a candidate. I have taken federal resume classes through my job, and hopefully you can find a way to take one.

2. I have done some research into PHAP. You can be the best of the best, but still not get a matching. It varies every year based on what host sites apply to get a PHAP associate.

3. For personal statements, I'm sure everyone showed their passion. I have learned that it's not how well educated you are in the field, but the passion you can clearly (and concisely) express. There are lots more to say on personal statements and the interview section.

Since I haven't gone through the interview yet, I won't say anything about it yet.

PM me if you want to scratch my brain. BUT importantly, keep trying and not being accepted is definitely not a wall to change your path.

Ps. I actually never got feed back from other jobs I e applied too. Especially federal jobs. There are so many applicants to give individual feed back to. not sure if I'm for or against it but just assuming from the 3k+ who apply and less than 200 get assigned.

I have gotten feedback about my interview process after I got hired and why I was more or less picked. But also after I built a rapport.

Also, @Cells4life I did pretty much the same thing that @YMT2012 stated.

To the person who asked about the personal statement, for next year I recommend looking at the "best fit model" that the website provides and try to put that into your personal statements. Also, reviewing the PHAP competencies and seeing how the those align with your public health/research goals should help as well.

Reactions: 2 users
To the person who asked about the personal statement, for next year I recommend looking at the "best fit model" that the website provides and try to put that into your personal statements. Also, reviewing the PHAP competencies and seeing how the those align with your public health/research goals should help as well.
I did that along with watching the different videos on the website that current and former associates made.

Did the "username" consist of live: and a whole bunch of numbers and letters?
Yes! I never chose a username when I signed up (specifically made an account for the interview) but I logged into my old skype account and searched for the email address my new account uses and clicked on the profile and it said "live:abcdefgh". Then I searched "live:abcdefgh" and it pulled up the account associated with my new phap-specific skype account.

My personal statement was about 3/4 narrative of an event that "defines" me and how it relates to public health. The last 1/4 was targeted at how my professional experience cultivated my passion for public health and social service. I'm graduating in May (with my BS) but come from a "public ivy" and have a bit of experience. Feel free to PM me for specifics.

Did anyone receive a calendar invite for an interview at a time they didn't sign up for? I got a google calendar invitation for an interview on 4/18 @ 1pm but I signed up for a different day and time.