2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone receive a calendar invite for an interview at a time they didn't sign up for? I got a google calendar invitation for an interview on 4/18 @ 1pm but I signed up for a different day and time.
I didn't. The only email that I received was that my interviewer closed the Doodle poll.

Members don't see this ad.

What is everyone's background? What is everyone's interest in public health and what do you hope to gain from PHAP?

My background is more so working with youth and dealing with health promotion and social determinants of public health. I'm really interested in epidemiology and want to learn more about social and behavioral epi.

I'm definitely excited about the possibility of being relocated and getting more hands on experiences with PHAP.

Did anyone receive a calendar invite for an interview at a time they didn't sign up for? I got a google calendar invitation for an interview on 4/18 @ 1pm but I signed up for a different day and time.
I did!, I called PHAP. They confirmed it was the interview time in the doodle poll.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did, too. I was confused for a second. I signed up for a later time on Doodle than what was indicated in the Google calendar (although it was on the same day). Does anybody know which time is correct and whether we're expected to add this time to our Google calendar (if you have gmail)?

Sorry, could you elaborate? As in my interview time, or the first interview scheduled from the doodle poll?
Yes, so I had an interview for a Tuesday but the recent email I received last night said Monday. When I open the closed poll it shows my confirmed day (Tuesday).
I called PHAP, explain what I saw. The representative confirm that my interview is for the Tuesday I selected. My interview is what is confirm in the doodle poll. Hoped that helped.....

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, so I had an interview for a Tuesday but the recent email I received last night said Monday. When I open the closed poll it shows my confirmed day (Tuesday).
I called PHAP, explain what I saw. The representative confirm that my interview is for the Tuesday I selected. My interview is what is confirm in the doodle poll. Hoped that helped.....

Perfect, thanks so much! I'll probably call just because I don't wanna mess this up. Thanks and good luck!

What is everyone's background? What is everyone's interest in public health and what do you hope to gain from PHAP?

My background is more so working with youth and dealing with health promotion and social determinants of public health. I'm really interested in epidemiology and want to learn more about social and behavioral epi.

I'm definitely excited about the possibility of being relocated and getting more hands on experiences with PHAP.

I'm getting my BS from UT Austin. My major is youth and community studies with a professional concentration in social service and a minor in social work. For my major, we were able to customize our degree plan to basically suit our interests (within the social service realm). Much of my focus is in human sexuality, social epidemiology, and criminal justice. I worked for two years in the university's office of reporting and research (mostly collected data) and am currently a research assistant for a human development/family sci faculty member (who's also my independent research project mentor). I also work as a research assistant for an affordable housing company and a prevention intern with the local HIV clinic.

Perfect, thanks so much! I'll probably call just because I don't wanna mess this up. Thanks and good luck!
I called in this morning and they confirmed that my date/time on the Doodle Poll is correct! For those who received confusing Google Calendar invites, you can call them and they will send you a calendar invite with the correct date and time.

I am a graduating Social and Behavioral Sciences MPH student, mostly working with minority and underserved populations. I got my undergraduate degree in sociology and health disparities. I am mostly interested in health promotion/communications as well as public health program planning and management.

@riceballemoji that sounds awesome! Would you want to do more HIV related programs in PHAP?

@DoubleGator21 when do you graduate? I'm torn between program planning and epi. I think it just depends on my mood or the day of the week lol.

How is everyone prepping for the interview?
I've been looking at the boards, talking to former/current PHAPs, and having some professors and friends that work in the CDC ask me different behavior and situational questions. I've also looked at videos that my interviewer has on the CDC website and just googled situational and behavioral interview questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
@riceballemoji that sounds awesome! Would you want to do more HIV related programs in PHAP?

@DoubleGator21 when do you graduate? I'm torn between program planning and epi. I think it just depends on my mood or the day of the week lol.

yes! Reproductive health is my research focus :) my thesis is over contraception use in adolescence and i coincidentally present tomorrow. i love working with HIV+ populations because i also have a huge interest in social health disparities and social epidemiology (and disparities are HUGE within the HIV+ population) what about you?

yes! Reproductive health is my research focus :) my thesis is over contraception use in adolescence and i coincidentally present tomorrow. i love working with HIV+ populations because i also have a huge interest in social health disparities and social epidemiology (and disparities are HUGE within the HIV+ population) what about you?
Good luck! I'm also interested in social epidemiology and health disparities :); however, much of my research has been centered around trauma among adolescence and how it relates to risky behaviors. You're so right about the disparities in the HIV+ community, we touched on it briefly in one of my classes from last semester.

were we supposed to receive confirmation emails after submitting our skype username and email?

The hiring freeze is over!!!! Yay! Here's to more government positions!

Interviews will be over in a few weeks. I assume the hard part is waiting to hear back for match ups. We are all wonder and exceptional people. Breathe and take your time with your interview.

Reactions: 3 users

hahaha, I was the exact same way, but i decided that SBS was a better fit for what I want to do in the future than epi.

hahaha, I was the exact same way, but i decided that SBS was a better fit for what I want to do in the future than epi.
Alsooo I'll be done at the end of April, so hopefully we find out if we got it soon after

Does anyone know what region that Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc. were a part of? It wasn't my top choices for regions, but now I'm considering it and want to see if I can ask my interviewer if we can alter our preferences (although, I know they'll put us where we're most needed). Thanks in advance!

That's what I may have to do as well. I think I may make my username related to PHAP so that they can differentiate lol. I'll definitely try using your approach @YMT2012. Thanks!!
Hi MelaninMonRHO, good to see another D9 sister in here! Im currently a Zeta, crossed at Duke and will be graduating in a few weeks. I have an interview this coming Tuesday. Would you mind giving me some examples of the questions that were asked during the interview?

Does anyone know what we're supposed to do after we received the confirmation that the Doodle poll closed? How do we submit our Skype username/email? I have my interview tomorrow, and I've yet to hear anything else beyond the Doodle poll closing and a Google calendar invite.

Does anyone know what we're supposed to do after we received the confirmation that the Doodle poll closed? How do we submit our Skype username/email? I have my interview tomorrow, and I've yet to hear anything else beyond the Doodle poll closing and a Google calendar invite.
More info: I emailed them, so hopefully I'll receive a response early tomorrow. I also contacted a current PHAP that I know who's boss is actually the person interviewing me. I hope all goes well, and that I'm not passed over because I never received any additional follow-up. :(

Did you ever get the initial email from PHAP about the interview and all the details surrounding that? If so, you were supposed to reply to that email with your Skype information. If not, then just email PHAP your Skype info (which I'm assuming is what you emailed today). Hopefully, they do get back to you early tomorrow. They typically respond rather quickly.

Hi MelaninMonRHO, good to see another D9 sister in here! Im currently a Zeta, crossed at Duke and will be graduating in a few weeks. I have an interview this coming Tuesday. Would you mind giving me some examples of the questions that were asked during the interview?
I hate to be "that" person, but that wouldn't be fair for anyone else. I know two current PHAP associates and they aren't giving anyone any hints as to what the interview questions are (or what they were last year). The interview questions aren't meant to be known until the interview happens. If one person gets a hint as to what they are, then everyone else should as well. Just trying to keep the playing field level.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you ever get the initial email from PHAP about the interview and all the details surrounding that? If so, you were supposed to reply to that email with your Skype information. If not, then just email PHAP your Skype info (which I'm assuming is what you emailed today). Hopefully, they do get back to you early tomorrow. They typically respond rather quickly.
That's what I did. Thank you so much! Hopefully everything will go well. Good luck to everyone else interviewing tomorrow!

Good luck to everyone who has an interview today! I have mine first thing tomorrow and I'm a little nervous.

For those of you who have an interview today, could you tell us how they contacted you (i.e. did they add you on Skype before or did they just call you at your designated time)?

Hello Everyone,

I just finished my interview. I kind of overslept with time because I had to drop my friends off at the airport early in the morning, so I was contact via Skype on my phone. So it was basically a phone conversation. 5 questions were asked, broken down into different themes and 1 final scenario question that had no right or wrong answer. She told me mid July to August to find out about selection for approximately 185 slots. She also commented and told me that she wanted me to introduce myself to her; not exactly sure what she meant by that. Overall, the interview went pretty good.

Reactions: 4 users
At least it was only 6 questions. I saw that @PHgeek123 posted in another forum that there were more questions asked for the previous classes.

I'm just ready for my interview to get here. I feel nervous, yet content at the same time.

At least it was only 6 questions. I saw that @PHgeek123 posted in another forum that there were more questions asked for the previous classes.

I'm just ready for my interview to get here. I feel nervous, yet content at the same time.

Yes, it's. It bad overall. I would just say let your passion shine trough and you'll be fine

Yes, it's. It bad overall. I would just say let your passion shine trough and you'll be fine
Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind. A lot of former PHAP that I've been talking to have said the same along with being flexible and eager to learn. 185 slots is slightly intimidating.

Hello all! I made it to the interview round! Has anyone had their interview yet? I'm not sure what to expect.

Hey guys, just had my interview... It was so nerve wrecking. Nerves def went away after I receive the skype call. For those wondering, my interviewer friend request me 30 min prior to the interview. As mention the questions were behavioral questions. I think it went well. My interviewer was very friendly.

Reactions: 3 users
Did anybody else get asked if they would consider being placed in Alaska, Guam, and etc.? I was scared to answer yes but didn't know if it was a trick question to see if we are flexible.

Did anybody else get asked if they would consider being placed in Alaska, Guam, and etc.? I was scared to answer yes but didn't know if it was a trick question to see if we are flexible.

That was the one of the first things that she asked me, but seeing as how I didn't specify a region on my application, I said I didn't mind.

Did you happen to pick the region that has those locations? I region 9. Or was it not even on you picked as your top 3?

Did you happen to pick the region that has those locations? I region 9. Or was it not even on you picked as your top 3?
It was not in my top 3 picks. I think it may be a general question they ask. It was the first question he asked me for the interview

More info: I emailed them, so hopefully I'll receive a response early tomorrow. I also contacted a current PHAP that I know who's boss is actually the person interviewing me. I hope all goes well, and that I'm not passed over because I never received any additional follow-up. :(

Hey unicornshadow888 - were you still able to be interviewed even though you didn't write back with your skype username the day before? I have an interview scheduled on Friday and I wrote them this morning to provide my username. They wrote back and said I would NOT be interviewed because I didn't provide my username by April 5th, even though that deadline is NOT conveyed in the email. I am soooooo upset.

I scheduled the interview via Doodle by the 4/5 deadline, but a deadline was NOT clear for providing the skype name. Does anybody have any suggestions for someone to contact? If this had been my mistake, i would of course accept this decision. But the deadline to provide the skype username was NOT provided in the email.

Any info anyone can give me would be appreciated. I'm absolutely positively heartbroken. :(

Hey unicornshadow888 - were you still able to be interviewed even though you didn't write back with your skype username the day before? I have an interview scheduled on Friday and I wrote them this morning to provide my username. They wrote back and said I would NOT be interviewed because I didn't provide my username by April 5th, even though that deadline is NOT conveyed in the email. I am soooooo upset.

I scheduled the interview via Doodle by the 4/5 deadline, but a deadline was NOT clear for providing the skype name. Does anybody have any suggestions for someone to contact? If this had been my mistake, i would of course accept this decision. But the deadline to provide the skype username was NOT provided in the email.

Any info anyone can give me would be appreciated. I'm absolutely positively heartbroken. :(
I looked back at the email they initially sent. I think since the deadline to contact them for the phone interview and doodle signup was April 5, they saying that every part of the interview was due April 5th. I think Doodle and Skype info was together. Don't quote me on that though. That sucks that they said that since you completed the Doodle assignment. Maybe you can call in during your interview time and see if they still take you.

Hello everyone!..
I encourage you all to keep the faith and think positive! Also know that if this is meant for you, you WILL get it! @public_healthy did you try calling them and speak to someone? You definitely should!

Reactions: 2 users
I just finished my interview and I think it went great. I was super comfortable with my interviewer and I had the chance to build a rapport with her. The first 4 or 5 questions are typical behavioral questions and the last one was definitely interesting.

My interviewer also explained that the regional question doesn't help or hurt you. Good luck everyone!!

I just finished my interview and I think it went great. I was super comfortable with my interviewer and I had the chance to build a rapport with her. The first 4 or 5 questions are typical behavioral questions and the last one was definitely interesting.

My interviewer also explained that the regional question doesn't help or hurt you. Good luck everyone!!

Yay! I wonder if there is something specific needed in Alaska or Guam at this time...I've been to Alaska but I would Def feel out of my "California weather" element for 2 years.

I've talked to a few PHAPs, and it seems that no one got placed in an area that would even be considered a commute from where they currently live. Did you get that feel too?