2018-2019 Dell Medical School

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II today by phone! Dates in Sept, Oct, and Nov. I thought it was spam but then realized it was Dell!! So stoked!

Secondary completed late June. I had given up hope TBH since there are only a handful of OOS spots.
congrats! hope you enjoy ATX! this makes me feel better as i completed mine early july and am slowly feeling less hopefull. doesn't help i live in the 512 area code already so every phone call i get time stops for a split second lol
 
congrats! hope you enjoy ATX! this makes me feel better as i completed mine early july and am slowly feeling less hopefull. doesn't help i live in the 512 area code already so every phone call i get time stops for a split second lol

Thanks! Sometimes I feel hopeless too, but then I try to remind myself that the cycle isn't over till April/May, and we are only in August. I wish you the best of luck 🙂
 
So my app was verified back at the beginning of July, but my letters just came in on August 8th. Should I still be holding out hope for a secondary this late? LizzyM 77, IS
 
LizzyM 75, OOS but from Georgia (Texas apparently likes GA residents idk). I sent my secondary July 16th and heard nothing back. Is it safe to assume I'm out of luck? 🙁
 
LizzyM 75, OOS but from Georgia (Texas apparently likes GA residents idk). I sent my secondary July 16th and heard nothing back. Is it safe to assume I'm out of luck? 🙁
It's early, but by law Texas schools can only take 10% OOS. So that's 5 for Dell. Rough odds.
 
LizzyM 75, OOS but from Georgia (Texas apparently likes GA residents idk). I sent my secondary July 16th and heard nothing back. Is it safe to assume I'm out of luck? 🙁

I submitted mine a few weeks earlier than you but just heard back for interview last week. They will interview ~35 OOS per MSAR. Hang in there!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know what Dell’s STEP 1 scores are? And how are the MMI’s for anyone who’s interviewed?

MMIs were chill tbh. They give you some situations, you say wyd, interviewer asks follow up questions, and then you sit in silence (this is what they told us to do, explicitly). You’ll get more info closer to your Interview date.

So when I interviewed Dell students had just finished taking Step 1. I bet that you will get info about it since the admissions office probably can’t wait to brag haha. I have several friends who are students there and have told me at least what they know from their classmates. I expect the average will be very good (230s+).
 
MMIs were chill tbh. They give you some situations, you say wyd, interviewer asks follow up questions, and then you sit in silence (this is what they told us to do, explicitly). You’ll get more info closer to your Interview date.

So when I interviewed Dell students had just finished taking Step 1. I bet that you will get info about it since the admissions office probably can’t wait to brag haha. I have several friends who are students there and have told me at least what they know from their classmates. I expect the average will be very good (230s+).

Ok cool! Good to know. I’ll have to post about the STEP score if they go over it. Good to hear though, I’ve heard that Dell students might be weaker in certain areas due to the new curriculum, but I hope the scores prove otherwise
 
Pretty sure they give secondaries based off of extracurricular activities esp. high hours of non-clinical volunteering etc.
 
Pretty sure they give secondaries based off of extracurricular activities esp. high hours of non-clinical volunteering etc.
Pretty sure they take into account the whole picture, i.e. holistic

Source: I have 2000 non clinical volunteering + LM 77, no invite
 
Any insight into if Dell is receptive to in the area notification? I am an OOS PA resident flying in for two other Texas school interviews. Significant ties to the state. I received the secondary video and submitted mid July! Figured it can’t hurt?
 
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am suddenly feeling really inadequate looking at the student demographics. 47,000 service hours, 100,000 clinical hours, and 75,000 hours of research divided by the 50 students that make up the class results is like 1,000 service hours, 2,000 clinical hours and 1,500 research hours per student... 🙁
Student Demographics | Dell Medical School
 
You didn't get a secondary? I'm OOS and got a secondary in mid June. Is applying to Med School just a crapshoot at this point?
lol maybe it was my clinical hours? Who knows man. Nothing to lose sleep over though. I admit it drove me nuts before I got my first II
 
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am suddenly feeling really inadequate looking at the student demographics. 47,000 service hours, 100,000 clinical hours, and 75,000 hours of research divided by the 50 students that make up the class results is like 1,000 service hours, 2,000 clinical hours and 1,500 research hours per student... 🙁
Student Demographics | Dell Medical School

Ehhh it’s probably a little more complex than every single student having that laundry list of hours. I saw a lot of people who took gap years at my interview. Maybe 50% tras, 50% non trad. Full-time work for even one year is going to be thousands of hours... the only way to know if you are competitive in the pool is whether or not you receive a secondary. If you received one, they like you. If you received an II, they *really* like you. I had about 4K research hours, but everything else was like 50-200. I suspect many applicants are “pointy” like me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am suddenly feeling really inadequate looking at the student demographics. 47,000 service hours, 100,000 clinical hours, and 75,000 hours of research divided by the 50 students that make up the class results is like 1,000 service hours, 2,000 clinical hours and 1,500 research hours per student... 🙁
Student Demographics | Dell Medical School

Ehhh it’s probably a little more complex than every single student having that laundry list of hours. I saw a lot of people who took gap years at my interview. Maybe 50% tras, 50% non trad. Full-time work for even one year is going to be thousands of hours... the only way to know if you are competitive in the pool is whether or not you receive a secondary. If you received one, they like you. If you received an II, they *really* like you. I had about 4K research hours, but everything else was like 50-200. I suspect many applicants are “pointy” like me.

MS3 at Dell, can confirm lots of "pointy" students. Every class has people that took gap years. Some of those people worked as scribes, nurses, or in other clinical jobs. Some people did paid research, etc. Try not to worry about it too much 🙂
 
MS3 at Dell, can confirm lots of "pointy" students. Every class has people that took gap years. Some of those people worked as scribes, nurses, or in other clinical jobs. Some people did paid research, etc. Try not to worry about it too much 🙂
gotcha 🙂 I am from Austin and my family lives in Austin so I would obviously love to go. But I am an ORM, have a lower MCAT than their average, and applied late. c'est la vie. Good for you though, hope you are enjoying it!
 
Last edited:
I was borrowing Lucca’s term, but basically somebody who has a really high number of hours of one thing and low hours in everything else. I guess like a graph where one number is off the charts. Probably not a real term but I liked it.
Totally not real just seemed to fit.
 
For anyone who interviewed here, could you please provide sometips ? what was the stress level? How were the MMIs? were there actors? If you want to PM, would appreciate that
 
So I just received a phone call from Dell Medical School inviting me for an interview. She said she'd send an email to me (she told me the correct address). I'm super stoked and I hope I didn't say anything stupid or rude on the phone (I doubt it because I was so happy). 75 LizzyM, OOS, ORM.

Edit: Ok I remember I told the caller if I could check my calendar because I wanted to make sure nothing at work would conflict but what if the caller thought I was trying to play hard to get???

Any advice on Dell interviews?
 
So I just received a phone call from Dell Medical School inviting me for an interview. She said she'd send an email to me (she told me the correct address). I'm super stoked and I hope I didn't say anything stupid or rude on the phone (I doubt it because I was so happy). 75 LizzyM, OOS, ORM.

Edit: Ok I remember I told the caller if I could check my calendar because I wanted to make sure nothing at work would conflict but what if the caller thought I was trying to play hard to get???

Any advice on Dell interviews?
congrats! It's pretty chill honestly. They will send you more info right before your interview date. Practice for an MMI if you feel you need it. The trad interview was laid back and conversational.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I just received a phone call from Dell Medical School inviting me for an interview. She said she'd send an email to me (she told me the correct address). I'm super stoked and I hope I didn't say anything stupid or rude on the phone (I doubt it because I was so happy). 75 LizzyM, OOS, ORM.

Edit: Ok I remember I told the caller if I could check my calendar because I wanted to make sure nothing at work would conflict but what if the caller thought I was trying to play hard to get???

Any advice on Dell interviews?
Hey congrats on the interview!! May I ask when you complete secondary and had all letters turned in?
 
congrats! It's pretty chill honestly. They will send you more info right before your interview date. Practice for an MMI if you feel you need it. The trad interview was laid back and conversational.
Thanks! That’s the general feel for Dell that I get. A laid back school that still has high acheiving students. Also, I didnt know they have an MMI so thanks for letting me know!
 
Thanks! That’s the general feel for Dell that I get. A laid back school that still has high acheiving students. Also, I didnt know they have an MMI so thanks for letting me know!

My friends currently at Dell love it and have told me that the first cohort to take Step 1 has done very well (I suspect their reported average will meet or beat Baylor’s actually). Combined with the curriculum that lets you train in a non-science discipline (from top 10 schools in those disciplines and no added time to degree no less), I think they’ve done a really good job of differentiating themselves as a med school in TX.
 
My friends currently at Dell love it and have told me that the first cohort to take Step 1 has done very well (I suspect their reported average will meet or beat Baylor’s actually). Combined with the curriculum that lets you train in a non-science discipline (from top 10 schools in those disciplines and no added time to degree no less), I think they’ve done a really good job of differentiating themselves as a med school in TX.

Wow! Meeting baylor’s scores would be crazy. What are the non-science disciplines? Also, is it a good idea to go to a newish school vs. an established one?