Nov 23, 2018
If I’m assuming correctly, if we haven’t heard anything back, it’s either going to be a rejection or a waitlist?
Oh man. Both no bueno :arghh:

Mar 17, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Just got an email that says

"Our apologies for the delay in getting back to you on your application status.

Your application is still in active review. As you probably already know we have a strong pool of applicants who have applied to us and a limited number of slots to fill, thus the process of selection is time consuming.

We hope to inform you of your outcome, probably within the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for your understanding and patience."

Not quite sure what to make of this, but at least hey! It's not a rejection...yet.

Reactions: Philodendron99
Apr 26, 2019

Your application is still in active review. As you probably already know we have a strong pool of applicants who have applied to us and a limited number of slots to fill, thus the process of selection is time consuming.

We hope to inform you of your outcome, probably within the next couple of weeks.

Not quite sure what to make of this, but at least hey! It's not a rejection...yet.
Same here! Just received that email as well. Got a mini heart attack right before opening my inbox.

Nov 23, 2018

I thought it was a rejection because the email didn’t have any attachments.

Feb 15, 2018
Just buying more time. I see they haven't committed to any hard deadline this time. Hopefully we will all know by the end of May.

Oct 16, 2018
Just buying more time. I see they haven't committed to any hard deadline this time. Hopefully we will all know by the end of May.
That's kind of strange. Since the waiting list has been issued to some other candidates (according to this forum), doesn't it imply that seats have been filled? (and that's how waiting list is made?)

Feb 15, 2018
My impression is that they're holding out until the deadline for existing offers to be accepted/declined, then they will send out the final offers to anyone on the wait list, then bump a few "Under Review" to wait list, and reject the remainder. They have extended enough offers to fill the seats but have not confirmed all of them. I imagine they're having a hard time meeting deadlines because there are still more pending offers than they anticipated. Remember that this school is not the first choice for many applicants, so those with high hopes will delay their response until their first choice has given them a final decision. It's all a waiting game at this point. Nobody wants to reveal their hand until they have to.

Oct 16, 2018
My impression is that they're holding out until the deadline for existing offers to be accepted/declined, then they will send out the final offers to anyone on the wait list, then bump a few "Under Review" to wait list, and reject the remainder. They have extended enough offers to fill the seats but have not confirmed all of them. I imagine they're having a hard time meeting deadlines because there are still more pending offers than they anticipated. Remember that this school is not the first choice for many applicants, so those with high hopes will delay their response until their first choice has given them a final decision. It's all a waiting game at this point. Nobody wants to reveal their hand until they have to.
That's pretty unfair for the applicants. They should have the batch-based universal acceptance deadline similar to the U.S. system. This system is not transparent and clear at all.

Mar 15, 2019
This sounds bad

existentialcrisis

Admitted MD
Sep 10, 2018
Status
Medical Student
does anybody know how much Duke-NUS weigh a MSc. degree, which is medicine related? thank you.
All applications are considered equal regardless of previous degree. A master’s neither puts you at an advantage or a disadvantage. I hold a master’s degree in neuroscience & anesthesiology and my application was weighed similarly to other applications.

Nov 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
All applications are considered equal regardless of previous degree. A master’s neither puts you at an advantage or a disadvantage. I hold a master’s degree in neuroscience & anesthesiology and my application was weighed similarly to other applications.
Thank you for the reply.
I understood having advanced degree won’t put me at advantage or the other way.
What I meant is: do they look into your master’s degree for consideration or just the undergrad degree?

Aug 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Could a good master GPA (3.8/4) make up for a poor undergrad GPA (3.0/4)?
Thanks for your kind reply
An upward trend in your undergrad performance and/or a strong MCAT (in your case higher than 516) would somewhat compensate for your low GPA. A master degree would be taken into consideration but is weighted much less as it is pretty much convention for master programs to inflate GPA significantly (3.8 is very average). The competition of DUKE-NUS is getting fiercer and fiercer by year so I think it is your best bet to achieve a stellar MCAT before applying.

Reactions: billy04052

existentialcrisis

Admitted MD
Sep 10, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Could a good master GPA (3.8/4) make up for a poor undergrad GPA (3.0/4)?
Thanks for your kind reply
I couldn’t tell you but the 3.0/4.0 is definitely a massive red flag considering the average cut off this year is approximately 3.75/4.0. I would say that if you had a similar course load in your master’s, you’d be able to justify to the commmitee to consider your master’s gpa. However, if it was thesis based or a lighter course load, they definitely would weigh your undergrad gpa more. Don’t quote me as I am not on the admissions committee.

Reactions: billy04052
Mar 17, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Just got offered MD!!

Edit: Just wanted to say, don't give up hope yet if you haven't heard back from them. It's not just waitlists and rejections! I wasn't waitlisted, it went straight from Under Review --> Accepted.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
An upward trend in your undergrad performance and/or a strong MCAT (in your case higher than 516) would somewhat compensate for your low GPA. A master degree would be taken into consideration but is weighted much less as it is pretty much convention for master programs to inflate GPA significantly (3.8 is very average). The competition of DUKE-NUS is getting fiercer and fiercer by year so I think it is your best bet to achieve a stellar MCAT before applying.
Thank you for your info!!

Nov 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I couldn’t tell you but the 3.0/4.0 is definitely a massive red flag considering the average cut off this year is approximately 3.75/4.0. I would say that if you had a similar course load in your master’s, you’d be able to justify to the commmitee to consider your master’s gpa. However, if it was thesis based or a lighter course load, they definitely would weigh your undergrad gpa more. Don’t quote me as I am not on the admissions committee.
Thanks. What do I need to do to justify? Does it sound ok if I write a letter to brief the committee about the program with online reference?

Rubacava

2+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi, everyone. I have been offered a place yesterday. May I join the WhatsApp group?

I found a Facebook group for the class of 2023. Is that where most of you are at?

Rubacava

2+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
All the best, imp_44! I am a re-applicant, so I think the school appreciates the ability to bounce back from rejection. Don’t be discouraged!

Reactions: imp_44