2018-2019 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (Carolinas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Usually you hear within a week @tacos1404 (assuming no interference from weather)!
I believe that is correct on the deposit, @brywigh interviewed earlier than me and should be able to confirm!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know about how long it takes for you hear if you're accepted/rejected after the interview?

Also is it correct that if you're accepted before Nov. 15 you have until December 14 to make the deposit to reserve your seat??

I interviewed in October and I believe my deposit was due by mid-December, so that sounds right. I got my acceptance after only three days. The most you would have to wait would be a couple of weeks. I think they're slower about it after the first couple rounds of interviews, but then pick up speed. I've heard that the committee is meeting next week to go over the first few rounds. They do a very good job of trying to be as quick as they can. Our admissions department is fantastic and will answer any questions or concerns you have in that regard. Best of luck!

I posted this in the Virginia thread and wanted to share it here too. Especially since Florence is projected to land in the Carolinas. Please share with anyone you know possibly traveling to the area.

I wanted to pass along a heads up to everyone that may be traveling to the area soon. Hurricane Florence has intensified to a category 4. Carolinas on up through New England are in the path.

You may want to confirm with your schools what their policies are regarding these. I had a last minute cancellation last year (business trip) because of that huge hurricane that hit Florida. Had less than a weeks notice for that decision.

I know it’s added stress but I’d rather know a protocol beforehand than last minute.

Be safe everyone and good luck in your interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students shed light on the issues that were brought up last year’s thread about staff turnover rate, etc? I would appreciate a PM. Trying to decide between schools right now.

Reactions: 1 user
VCOM Carolinas just gave us the comlex scores for VCOM's 3 campuses. This is not anywhere online so I am posting I them here. If you read my other posts, you will see some of the many problems present at VCOM. These are only growing problems so be aware before applying here, especially VCOM Carolina.

Here are the basic COMSAE phase 1 scores, there is a lot more information for anyone who would like it:

2019 1st attempt pass rate (score above 480)
VCOM CC - 75%
VCOM VC - 88%
VCOM AC - 68%

2020 1st attempt pass rate (score above 480)
VCOM CC - 62%
VCOM VC - 80%
VCOM AC - 72%

As you can see COMSAE passing scores have gone DOWN since last year, a very big RED FLAG. Auburn's have gone up. The schools step 1 scores are under the average national comlex score. There are many other break downs available for anyone that would like it.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone think they may cancel the interview day next Wednesday due to the hurricane? From what I’m seeing the hurricane should pass a few days prior but I’m not sure of the aftermath.

Does anyone think they may cancel the interview day next Wednesday due to the hurricane? From what I’m seeing the hurricane should pass a few days prior but I’m not sure of the aftermath.

I doubt it. I called today because I interview on Monday and they said that hadn't made any decisions about cancelling yet

OMS-1. Ask away

Maybe not the best place to ask but do you know how strict they are on the 3 year old computer requirement? I received an acceptance off the waitlist from last cycle to this class and I am trying to get things in order early. My laptop is a 2015 MacBook Pro.

A word to the wise for potential interviewees:

I am a current student at VCOM-CC and I HIGHLY encourage you to research the following questions before you commit to VCOM and further educate yourself about the options you have available to you.

1. Why are no other universities within the area continuing to associate with the school?
2. Why did VCOM cut funding for student and faculty research, yet increase the requirements?
3. Why are VCOM-CC scores going down on the COMSAE?
4. Why is VCOM-CC unable to hire faculty / maintain consistent faculty at this campus, yet are planning to open another one?
5. Why is VCOM-CC one of only a handful of schools who don't utilize the end of rotation shelf exams? Who writes them?
6. Why does VCOM-CC keep students who have been proven to cheat and allow them to continue their education?
7. Why does VCOM-CC cut student resources at this campus and not others? Why if there are budgetary issues are they planning to open another campus in Louisiana and continue to own multiple private jets and cars that are only available to VA execs and admin?
8. How many professors have left or been let go from VCOM-CC this past year? Why?
9. What level are the research lab spaces available to VCOM-CC?
10. How many classes am I required to teach myself?
11. Do VCOM-CC professors ALWAYS record the classes even if attendance is low?
12. Consider the pros and cons of having to take both the USMLE and COMLEX
13. Consider the pros and cons of MANDATORY attendance and medical education -- are you an auditory learner?
14. Consider the pros and cons of going to a non-pass/fail school -- the look of "all passes" vs. a 3.3 on a transcript
15. Consider the pros and cons of taking 3 exams a week consisting of 8-14 lectures, having multiple labs and quizzes regularly.

There are definitive answers to each question... I wish I would have known to ask them. I would also strongly advise you to reach out to a current student who is not an ambassador about student life and education. Good luck.

You made this account just to post this. If you're that unhappy, leave.

I am a current student at VCOM-CC and I HIGHLY encourage you to research the following questions before you commit to VCOM and further educate yourself about the options you have available to you.

1. Why are no other universities within the area continuing to associate with the school?
2. Why did VCOM cut funding for student and faculty research, yet increase the requirements?
4. Why is VCOM-CC unable to hire faculty / maintain consistent faculty at this campus, yet are planning to open another one?
5. Why is VCOM-CC one of only a handful of schools who don't utilize the end of rotation shelf exams? Who writes them?
6. Why does VCOM-CC keep students who have been proven to cheat and allow them to continue their education?
7. Why does VCOM-CC cut student resources at this campus and not others? Why if there are budgetary issues are they planning to open another campus in Louisiana and continue to own multiple private jets and cars that are only available to VA execs and admin?
8. How many professors have left or been let go from VCOM-CC this past year? Why?
13. Consider the pros and cons of MANDATORY attendance and medical education -- are you an auditory learner?
14. Consider the pros and cons of going to a non-pass/fail school -- the look of "all passes" vs. a 3.3 on a transcript
15. Consider the pros and cons of taking 3 exams a week consisting of 8-14 lectures, having multiple labs and quizzes regularly.

There are definitive answers to each question... I wish I would have known to ask them. I would also strongly advise you to reach out to a current student who is not an ambassador about student life and education. Good luck.

I appreciate your transparency

Maybe not the best place to ask but do you know how strict they are on the 3 year old computer requirement? I received an acceptance off the waitlist from last cycle to this class and I am trying to get things in order early. My laptop is a 2015 MacBook Pro.

As far as I know, they don’t seem to be strict about computers as long as your computer is able to host our exam-taking software called Examplify. You may be able to go onto the Examplify/Examsoft website and find the requirements to run it.

As far as I know, they don’t seem to be strict about computers as long as your computer is able to host our exam-taking software called Examplify. You may be able to go onto the Examplify/Examsoft website and find the requirements to run it.
Hello Brywigh,

Do you know if VCOM opens today Friday Sept 14?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have over 90,000 reasons why that option isn't feasible, but there are multiple people in our class who are actively looking to transfer elsewhere and have already met with our dean.

Further, these are by no means novel issues and I wish I would have had the opportunity and forethought to take current student concerns more seriously, as there are multiple posts nearly identical to mine on various platforms.

Prospective students have the right to know and educate themselves wholly before they make a commitment that will determine their futures so tremendously.
What year are you? Thanks for your information!

They call for interviews? Can anyone provide me with the phone number they called you with (no need for the whole phone #, it can be only the last 4 digits of the number)? I'm asking because I rarely pick up random numbers.... mostly due to random people calling me with scam and stuff in the past

brywigh: how did you get you acceptance via phone or email?

By phone. IIRC, if they don't reach you by phone, then they'll send an email. At your interview they should give you a general idea of when the committee is going to be meeting and making decisions so you can kind of expect when calls are going to be going out. They try to be quick about it.

VCOM Carolinas just gave us the comlex scores for VCOM's 3 campuses. This is not anywhere online so I am posting I them here. If you read my other posts, you will see some of the many problems present at VCOM. These are only growing problems so be aware before applying here, especially VCOM Carolina.

Here are the basic COMSAE phase 1 scores, there is a lot more information for anyone who would like it:

2019 1st attempt pass rate (score above 480)
VCOM CC - 75%
VCOM VC - 88%
VCOM AC - 68%

2020 1st attempt pass rate (score above 480)
VCOM CC - 62%
VCOM VC - 80%
VCOM AC - 72%

As you can see COMSAE passing scores have gone DOWN since last year, a very big RED FLAG. Auburn's have gone up. The schools step 1 scores are under the average national comlex score. There are many other break downs available for anyone that would like it.

62% first-time pass rate. That's just piss poor for lack of a better word. They are all not great, especially when plenty of over schools are above 90%

Is it terrible staff, they are taking bad students?

Can any OMS II address these? Even just through a PM?

Not meaning to defend that low percentage but I think that is for the COMSAE not the comlex
Ah true, didn’t realize COMSAE and COMLEX was talked about in that post. My bad.

Hey everyone I wanted to address some of the trolling and negative attitudes on this thread. VCOM gives stats for all of their campuses(I posted the link to those stats below this email) and from what I can see their COMLEX first-time pass-rate for the CC campus is right around a 93% average for the class of 2019. Now that's a lot better than the misleading COMSAE scores given, as the COMSAE scores that were posted have no source and have absolutely zero meaning when it comes to residencies. You guys have been fighting for so long to get into medical school and then one or two ANONYMOUS trolls have come along and tried to demotivate you and derail you, please don't let them. Based on my interview experiences, you have to go to the school and interview to really see if you like the school or not. Most schools give you time alone with current medical students and that'll be the time to get real advice on whether the school is a fit for you. I strongly believe that a majority of the negative claims being made are false, based on the actual facts and research I've done regarding the school it looks like a fine place to get a medical education. These posts are just trying to make you lose motivation and are from scared applicants afraid to reveal their identity.

https://www.vcom.edu/handbooks/outcomes/files/assets/common/downloads/VCOM Outcomes Report.pdf

Reactions: 5 users
Have any acceptance/ rejection came out? Or do you guys know when the committee will meet?

Have any acceptance/ rejection came out? Or do you guys know when the committee will meet?
For interviewees last Thursday, they told us that we would hear late this week so I'm expecting tomorrow or Friday.

Hey guys! What is the current turn around time from secondary submission--complete email--II?

Hey guys! What is the current turn around time from secondary submission--complete email--II?
Whenever they decide to invite you. This was the first school I submitted a secondary too and was complete. Yet have heard nothing lol. Meanwhile I have an acceptance at Rocky Vista. So could be whoever they decide to interview you.

For me: submission 07/24- complete email 08/06 - II 08/12

I interviewed yesterday and they told us the committee will meet in approximately 2 weeks and to expect an answer in about 2.5 weeks.

how did the interviews go?
I think they went pretty well. The faculty were all very comforting and did a great job at making it as less stressful as possible. Also, the food was really good lol.

Received an II for Oct 10th. My application complete email came on Sept 18th, with me submitting my secondary on the 9th. I received a phone call that same day with the invite. Definitely nervous, but excited at the same time. If anyone has tips, feel free to share ;)

Received an II for Oct 10th. My application complete email came on Sept 18th, with me submitting my secondary on the 9th. I received a phone call that same day with the invite. Definitely nervous, but excited at the same time. If anyone has tips, feel free to share ;)
Stats?

Congratulations!! :) When were you invited? That was a quick turnaround!

undergrad GPA 3.45, graduate GPA 4.0, MCAT 500. I have a decent amount of work experience, but no research.

I recieved the call on Sept 18th. I was definitely surprised by the turnaround!
Good luck on your interview! Let us know how it went!!

undergrad GPA 3.45, graduate GPA 4.0, MCAT 500. I have a decent amount of work experience, but no research.

I recieved the call on Sept 18th. I was definitely surprised by the turnaround!
Hmmmmmm maybe I should call them! Eitherway, congrats on the II

Accepted!! Just now via phone! Interviewed September 13

Reactions: 7 users