This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But I think schools would be benefiting themselves by not doing so. Med schools depend on each other in some aspects, such as sharing rotation sites and giving each other’s students more research opportunities. So if a school starts gaining a reputation for taking students that have already selected Commit to Enroll (since all matriculation data gets released eventually), other schools might start getting a little bit upset...........

When there are rules that we have all agreed to abide (like our former traffic rules), I would agree with you.
When there is neither enforcement nor clarity, why should we expect adherence?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
When there are rules that we have all agreed to abide (like our former traffic rules), I would agree with you.
When there is neither enforcement nor clarity, why should we expect adherence?
It’s Wild West , ladies and gentlemen. Wild Wild West

Reactions: 1 users
I am now down to my final waitlist school. Hoping this next month brings me good fortune.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am now down to my final waitlist school. Hoping this next month brings me good fortune.

Same. Insane how getting in off the waitlist would change everything about my life.

Reactions: 7 users
Same. Insane how getting in off the waitlist would change everything about my life.

Alright see... when you say things like THAT it just reminds me how much is at stake and makes me bite my nails more :arghh:

It’s crazy how the supply of prospective medical students is so large that med schools can get away with (in my opinion) unfair treatment of applicants. I can’t think of another recruitment process that lasts as long and cares so little for applicants’ future plans/mental sanity.

Then again, I guess it’s my fault for having a waitlist-only worthy application. I knew what I signed up for

Reactions: 3 users
one day. this will all be worth it. right? :D working on personal statement and being a more likeable person

Reactions: 1 user
It’s crazy how the supply of prospective medical students is so large that med schools can get away with (in my opinion) unfair treatment of applicants. I can’t think of another recruitment process that lasts as long and cares so little for applicants’ future plans/mental sanity.

Then again, I guess it’s my fault for having a waitlist-only worthy application. I knew what I signed up for

It’s supply vs demand. Only 40% get in every year just because there isn’t enough seats and you just can’t make up more seats or you risk jeopardizing the quality of the clinical years but new MD and DO schools open up every year. Right now until you get an acceptance work on making your application better for a possible reapplication. Last year I got 1 II, WL then rejected. Got feedback, fixed what I could and ended up with 5 acceptances this year. It is a crappy position to be in looking at only WL but the best way to look at is if it doesn’t work out for you this year and I hope it does work on your application so you won’t be in the same situation next year. If you think this is bad I can only imagine what is like 4 years from now and possibly not matching and having to scramble through SOAP

Alright see... when you say things like THAT it just reminds me how much is at stake and makes me bite my nails more :arghh:

Lmao my bad.

My question for all you waitlist hopefuls with no acceptances yet: how are you all approaching the reapp? Cycle off? Straight into it? What’s gonna be different this time around?

Lmao my bad.

My question for all you waitlist hopefuls with no acceptances yet: how are you all approaching the reapp? Cycle off? Straight into it? What’s gonna be different this time around?

Spending wayyy more time reviewing/editing Primary and secondary texts.

Applying day 1

Looking to enroll in masters/smp

For me I know that it's my academic record holding me back, so I'm planning on taking 15-25 credits over the course of next year while working and apply again during the 2020-2021 cycle.

Mind sharing LizzyM? Idk if my academic record is considered prohibitive lol

edit: was on mobile. i see your stats are in your sig mb.

Last edited:
Spending wayyy more time reviewing/editing Primary and secondary texts.

Applying day 1

Looking to enroll in masters/smp

See I’ve thought of masters/grad programs but the thought of spending thousands of dollars for a masters I otherwise don’t really care for just to maybe increase my chances of admissions doesn’t sound that great.. obviously not speaking to your decision, I’m just trying to contemplate mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
See I’ve thought of masters/grad programs but the thought of spending thousands of dollars for a masters I otherwise don’t really care for just to maybe increase my chances of admissions doesn’t sound that great.. obviously not speaking to your decision, I’m just trying to contemplate mine.

For sure, that’s why I’m only really looking at programs with linkage

Lmao my bad.

For me, I'm going to have to re-take the MCAT, but its hard to get the motivation to study and prep for it when i'm still hopeful about my WL:(

How about you?

Lmao my bad.

Probably get more volunteer hours in and continue in the research lab that I'm in. I have 2 waitlists and 1 TBD, ppl keep saying you will get 1 acceptance out of the three but self doubt keeps creeping in:shrug:

Lmao my bad.

I'm taking a cycle off. I could probably reapply this one if I wanted, but I'm exhausted and another year would give me more time to get everything in order. While my ECs are good, I've been out of the clinical realm for a while and more into research and I'd like to get back into clinical work. That, and keeping up with my non-clinical volunteering which was low. Applying next year would also be better for my SO, and hopefully we can sneak a wedding in there as well!

Reactions: 2 users
Two days until I hear back from a school I interviewed at two weeks ago... crossing fingers

Reactions: 5 users
By some miracle I got an interview at the new NYU school! I have one more shot at a straight acceptance guys! Any interviewing advice? I suspect that's one of my weak points. I'm going to do more mock interviews before the actual thing, but that's something I've done before and I still only received waitlists.

Reactions: 6 users
By some miracle I got an interview at the new NYU school! I have one more shot at a straight acceptance guys! Any interviewing advice? I suspect that's one of my weak points. I'm going to do more mock interviews before the actual thing, but that's something I've done before and I still only received waitlists.
Kevin Ahern. Youtube.

Hey congrats! I got an interview at NYU-LI as well. It's MMI so I'd work on being able to establish your position on a prompt well and learn how to think on your feet.

Me too!!!! :)

For me, I'm going to have to re-take the MCAT, but its hard to get the motivation to study and prep for it when i'm still hopeful about my WL:(

How about you?

I'm re-working my personal statement with some outside help this time. It's completely different and in retrospect my last PS was pretty trash. I took the MCAT june 1st last year and rushed to get my app in the following week without having prepped it lol. I'm also restructuring my school list. I had way too many reaches last cycle.

With both those things being said, I'm still not sure if I should take a year off. I have about 5000 paid clinical hours and i'm interviewing for clinical research coordinator positions at a pretty big university but wouldn't start until right before this cycle if i did happen to get the job.

My volunteer hours are also low so I'm trying to find things I can do on the weekend to bump them up.

Kevin Ahern. Youtube.
Go buy the premed playbook: guide to the med school interview by Dr. Ryan Gray. If you have not heard of this you are already missing out. Go find it on amazon. Like yesterday. Only resource you need for interview prep (minus a mock interview)

Go buy the premed playbook: guide to the med school interview by Dr. Ryan Gray. If you have not heard of this you are already missing out. Go find it on amazon. Like yesterday. Only resource you need for interview prep (minus a mock interview)
I recommend Kevin ahern to everyone - he is amazing . (Not saying the book isn’t ). Plus it is free :) he is the only prep I did (didn’t even do mock ) and I got 3 acceptances and 2 WL out of 5 interviews . He is awesome

Anyone anticipate any movement after next monday?

Got my sixth waitlist today, I've got a talent for this

Reactions: 11 users
Anyone anticipate any movement after next monday?

I wouldn't be surprised. It may be that the schools that will extend acceptances to waitlisted applicants are cases wherein the number of acceptances that remain outstanding are fewer than the total number of seats that they have available for the upcoming year.

I wouldn't be surprised. It may be that the schools that will extend acceptances to waitlisted applicants are cases wherein the number of acceptances that remain outstanding are fewer than the total number of seats that they have available for the upcoming year.
We are required to have offered at least the number of acceptances as seats by mid March.

We are required to have offered at least the number of acceptances as seats by mid March.

Yes. My thought was that IF enough accepted students decline their acceptances to a particular school when they narrow down to 3 acceptances, then the school that has outstanding acceptances numbering fewer than the number of seats for the upcoming year would be compelled to issue more acceptances to meet that requirement and that they would most likely be issued to waitlisted applicants (unless there are applicants that have yet to receive an interview decision). Is this a correct line of thought?

I have a question about a hypothetical scenario. Say you're accepted at a school (School 1) and school starts end of July. But another school you're waitlisted at, a top choice (School 2), has you on a waitlist and takes you off the waitlist after school started at school 1. are there any options here

Yes. My thought was that IF enough accepted students decline their acceptances to a particular school when they narrow down to 3 acceptances, then the school that has outstanding acceptances numbering fewer than the number of seats for the upcoming year would be compelled to issue more acceptances to meet that requirement and that they would most likely be issued to waitlisted applicants (unless there are applicants that have yet to receive an interview decision). Is this a correct line of thought?

I wonder what percentage of applicants have 4+ acceptances at this point. I also wonder how many of them will actually go down to 3 by 4/15. I say, don't expect anything.

I have a question about a hypothetical scenario. Say you're accepted at a school (School 1) and school starts end of July. But another school you're waitlisted at, a top choice (School 2), has you on a waitlist and takes you off the waitlist after school started at school 1. are there any options here

Hypothetically, you could leave after you matriculate and go to your top choice. I believe this is the first year that schools will not be punished for this. Although, if the school you matriculate to requires that you choose "commit to enroll" then you would have already withdrawn all your other apps so this situation wouldn't occur in that case. Not all schools require students to use that tool though. Should be interesting.

I wonder what percentage of applicants have 4+ acceptances at this point. I also wonder how many of them will actually go down to 3 by 4/15. I say, don't expect anything.

exactly my thought. I don't expect any movement until like 4/27

Hypothetically, you could leave after you matriculate and go to your top choice. I believe this is the first year that schools will not be punished for this. Although, if the school you matriculate to requires that you choose "commit to enroll" then you would have already withdrawn all your other apps so this situation wouldn't occur in that case. Not all schools require students to use that tool though. Should be interesting.
So the school im currently accepted at is a DO school but the school im waitlisted at that i could potentially hear from into August is an MD school.

This would be effective waitlist management in the last few weeks before orientation.
It would otherwise work in small states with a single public medical school (or in schools with very, very high conversion).

So the school im currently accepted at is a DO school but the school im waitlisted at that i could potentially hear from into August is an MD school.

I'm in a similar situation, with my school starts in June not august. they're regulated differently,; other than the fact that you lose deposit, there is no legal issue with leaving one school for another to my understanding. Just gonna look like a prick for aborting a seat at a point where they can't refill it lol. I highly doubt you will be put into that position though

exactly my thought. I don't expect any movement until like 4/27

Why 4/27? That's before the deadline.

Ok. It's frowned upon, but you can do whatever you want (matriculate and then leave).

Why 4/27? That's before the deadline.

not all students wait to make their decision on the deadline. Some students make it few days before, and schools are able to see those numbers. The school I am waitlisted at always had movement around that date.

I'm in a similar situation, with my school starts in June not august. they're regulated differently,; other than the fact that you lose deposit, there is no legal issue with leaving one school for another to my understanding. Just gonna look like a prick for aborting a seat at a point where they can't refill it lol. I highly doubt you will be put into that position though
what about like tuition payments?

All this not knowing is terrible, and at some point I want to start planning where I am living, etc. Should I plan to drop off the waitlist at some point and just go to one of the DO schools I was accepted to, or should I stay on the waitlist and just wing it whether I get off of it or not? I actually like the DO school and the city, but I feel I would be crazy to pass up an MD degree and less debt if the opportunity came along.

Reactions: 5 users
All this not knowing is terrible, and at some point I want to start planning where I am living, etc. Should I plan to drop off the waitlist at some point and just go to one of the DO schools I was accepted to, or should I stay on the waitlist and just wing it whether I get off of it or not? I actually like the DO school and the city, but I feel I would be crazy to pass up an MD degree and less debt if the opportunity came along.

Do not withdraw your waitlist if you really want that school.

I would stay on the waitlist if you're more interested in the MD school. I know what you're talking about with the planning - I am a huge planner and it's killing me inside to not know where I'll be in 3-4 months as there are so many unknowns. Really wish the cycle was shorter! It does helps me to mentally prepare myself to move to my currently accepted school. I am scouting out apartments, but am waiting to sign a lease. For me, having to move cross-country last minute would be worth it to attend my top (waitlisted) choice. If you prefer the current DO school though to the MD one, dropping out of the waitlist would give you more peace of mind. May is coming soon though, hopefully we will all get some good news then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.