This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations! I do think you are a bit different than some others hanging on this WL thread as you got accepted to 5/6 of the schools at which you interviewed, and got WL and then accepted from one other. Those stats suggest that you are a superb applicant at the schools to which you got II's (high up on the @LizzyM staircase), and then did a fantastic job in all of your interviews. The good news is that you will now have 5 other A's to release to the figurative massive heap of unwanted Acceptances, some of which might go to some others on SDN!

actually I am a re-inventor with a LizzyM of 62.5 and a cGPA barely over 3.00. ORM. I think what stood out was my life story, my experience working with people across different cultures and continents, and clinical experience. during all my interviews i was told that they expect me to be there next year. using the lizzyM staircase analogy i would have been closer to the bottom but jumped way up after my interview

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
actually I am a re-inventor with a LizzyM of 62.5 and a cGPA barely over 3.00. ORM. I think what stood out was my life story, my experience working with people across different cultures and continents, and clinical experience. during all my interviews i was told that they expect me to be there next year. using the lizzyM staircase analogy i would have been closer to the bottom but jumped way up after my interview

And these words by @EasyEveryoneWouldDoIt , in a nutshell, is why I follow this thread. Gives me hope, facing these next several weeks of soul-crushing uncertainty!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
it is suspiciously quiet....
951BB970-B528-4839-B50E-AE138B816645.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Currently on THREE waitlists, and I have no idea how to to view that-- hoping its a positive thing. I see that people are yearning for April 30th, and I wanted to know if we should really expect significant movement on that date? I was more so expecting movement weeks after the 30th. If anyone has any information on normal (if that even exists) waitlist movement timetables, I would really appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 users
Currently on THREE waitlists, and I have no idea how to to view that-- hoping its a positive thing. I see that people are yearning for April 30th, and I wanted to know if we should really expect significant movement on that date? I was more so expecting movement weeks after the 30th. If anyone has any information on normal (if that even exists) waitlist movement timetables, I would really appreciate it.

Of course it depends on when the school will make calls, but April 30th is the day schools will be fully aware of how many withdrew.

Hi, I'm new to sdn. Just wanted to share that I'm waitlisted for UC Davis (II - 2/1) and Touro Nevada (II - 2/25) (my only two II so far - kind of nervous for this cycle). Looking forward to joining in on the WL support thread :) Wishing you all the best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Yes, April 30 and the first days of May usually see a lot of movement.

Of course it depends on when the school will make calls, but April 30th is the day schools will be fully aware of how many withdrew.
I can only hope this is true!
I'm willing to bet that it won't be...

I can only hope this is true!
I'm willing to bet that it won't be...
Is this because the traffic rules have essentially prolonged timelines by adding more uncertainty? Like if you’re right about schools being more cautious in general, people could in theory be pulled off a top choice WL really late in the game, rippling down etc, so schools won’t know for certain until a few weeks within their commitment deadline?

Wasn’t this always the case though, or can we expect slightly more WL movement later in May with similar movement in the first few weeks?

Is this because the traffic rules have essentially prolonged timelines by adding more uncertainty? Like if you’re right about schools being more cautious in general, people could in theory be pulled off a top choice WL really late in the game, rippling down etc, so schools won’t know for certain until a few weeks within their commitment deadline?

Wasn’t this always the case though, or can we expect slightly more WL movement later in May with similar movement in the first few weeks?
The AAMC is not giving us anything close to actionable data. Nor are they requiring action from students.
Places where almost all acceptees have multiple accepts are going to be making waitlist offers much later than before.
There are also places where none of this will matter much!

Reactions: 1 user
The AAMC is not giving us anything close to actionable data. Nor are they requiring action from students.
Places where almost all acceptees have multiple accepts are going to be making waitlist offers much later than before.
Out of curiosity, how actionable was the multiple acceptance report data previously, at least in your experience? Seems like other adcoms said it didn’t matter as much, but I could be misinterpreting

Members don't see this ad :)
why do you think so?

Out of curiosity, how actionable was the multiple acceptance report data previously, at least in your experience? Seems like other adcoms said it didn’t matter as much, but I could be misinterpreting
Let's say that right now 3/4 of my accepted students are holding acceptances at other schools.
What does this tell me about who is likely to be coming? Nothing.
If they are holding acceptances at OOS schools that have rarely matriculated a student that has also been accepted here, than I know that they are all coming.
If they are holding at HMS, I'm going to guess that many of them are going elsewhere!
Right now all we have is...nothing.

Let's say that right now 3/4 of my accepted students are holding acceptances at other schools.
If they are holding acceptances at OOS schools that have rarely matriculated a student that has also been accepted here, than I know that they are all coming.
If they are holding at HMS, I'm going to guess that they are going elsewhere.
how do you think LOI factor into that? for example, if i hold multiple acceptances, but the school that i wrote LOI for is my IS school, do you think that would be more likely to offer me a spot earlier (if they like me, of course)?

how do you think LOI factor into that? for example, if i hold multiple acceptances, but the school that i wrote LOI for is my IS school, do you think that would be more likely to offer me a spot earlier (if they like me, of course)?
Nobody is going to be offering anything (however poignant your LOI!) until the dust settles.

• Sad

A little confused. How could there be uncertainty beyond April 30th other than for those who have withdrawn as a result of being accepted off the WL to higher preference? In other words, is there no concrete regulation to force the applicant to make a decision by April 30th?

In other words, is there no concrete regulation to force the applicant to make a decision by April 30th?
Nothing.
By next year, I'll bet most schools will have implemented policies that rescind acceptances for those who remain on waitlists after a certain date.
I also predict an increase in non-refundable deposits.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about schools that are known to have tons of waitlist movement? (Like wake forest)
MSAR reported that 107 students were accepted from their waitlist and they offer very few interviews to begin with....

What about schools that are known to have tons of waitlist movement? (Like wake forest)
MSAR reported that 107 students were accepted from their waitlist and they offer very few interviews to begin with....
It will depend on how they may have altered their strategy to accomodate the change in rules.

Nothing.
By next year, I'll bet most schools will have implemented policies that rescind acceptances for those who remain on waitlists after a certain date.
I also predict an increase in non-refundable deposits.

So you can hold multiple acceptances after April 30?

Yeah , I wanna know too .. the main reason is because I still haven’t received financial packages from anyone ..

Actually I think I understand now.

All acceptances (except one, obviously) received before April 30th must be renounced.

But someone who has an acceptance before 4/30 can still be waitlisted elsewhere up until the commit to enroll date for their accepted college.

Do I understand that correctly, @gyngyn ?

All acceptances (except one, obviously) received before April 30th must be renounced.

But someone who has an acceptance before 4/30 can still be waitlisted elsewhere up until the commit to enroll date for their accepted college.

Yes

I've seen a couple school's websites say that financial aid information is due April 1st. Were we supposed to have sent in all financial aid forms before knowing if we got in? Or does this April 1st deadline not apply to waitlisted candidates?

yes, however the downside is, students can select commit to enrol and still be accepted elsewhere if they are not proactive and personally contact schools to withdraw. The tool will not withdraw other acceptances for them nor notify other schools therefore there will be some lag unless applicants are on top of their shi

I've seen a couple school's websites say that financial aid information is due April 1st. Were we supposed to have sent in all financial aid forms before knowing if we got in? Or does this April 1st deadline not apply to waitlisted candidates?
I called my schools in December and they all told me to send info even if I just think I MIGHT get waitlisted . Basically full out fafsa for 10 most likely schools

yes, however the downside is, students can select commit to enrol and still be accepted elsewhere if they are not proactive and personally contact schools to withdraw. The tool will not withdraw other acceptances for them nor notify other schools therefore there will be some lag unless applicants are on top of their shi

But I don’t think that a school will accept someone with “Commit to Enroll” status

But I don’t think that a school will accept someone with “Commit to Enroll” status

Extrapolating this logic, are you saying that you think a school will only accept someone off the waitlist if they have no other acceptances?

I mean...what’s the downside to sending your FAFSA? It’s free and a decision won’t be made off of it.

I mean...what’s the downside to sending your FAFSA? It’s free and a decision won’t be made off of it.

That’s not really what i was asking. I’m definitely open to sending my information, I’m just concerned about the April 1st deadline that I missed because I wasn’t accepted

That’s not really what i was asking. I’m definitely open to sending my information, I’m just concerned about the April 1st deadline that I missed because I wasn’t accepted
I guess I was just curious why you didn’t send it? If you are accepted after that date hey should allow it, but just curious why not in the beginning.

Like he/she said, a decision won't be made off of it. I don't think it's a hard deadline that applies to waitlisted candidates but you should send it to all the schools that waitlist you. This will streamline the entire process down the line once a decision has been made.

Extrapolating this logic, are you saying that you think a school will only accept someone off the waitlist if they have no other acceptances?
You don't have to click Commit To Enroll until June for most schools

This. I know of some schools that actually prefer taking students off the waitlist that have other acceptances and sent an LOI.

But commit to enroll deadlines are different. It basically tells a school that you have committed to enrolling elsewhere (either on your own will or by being forced by the other school).

Also, schools can see wherever everyone matriculated by the time the cycle is long over (usually October of M1). So, if a school DOES take someone off the the waitlist despite the student having committed elsewhere, the school that was committed to will eventually be able to see who did the crime.

So if someone has committed to enroll at BU and Emory still takes them off the waitlist, BU will find out in October and probably be like “WHAT THE HECK EMORY!!!”.

I’m exaggerating. In all honesty, BU probably won’t even care :p

guys i think we all need to accept the fact that none of us really know what will happen... as much as it sucks, it seems to be true....
Next year applicants will probably have a better picture based on our experience, but since we are guinea pigs, no one really knows.

Schools can’t see that you have clicked commit to enroll at another school. They can only see how many selected it for their school. They will only get names once semester starts to my understanding

Does anyone know how many students were accepted off of the waitlist from Howard University, based on MSAR??:shrug:

Schools can’t see that you have clicked commit to enroll at another school. They can only see how many selected it for their school. They will only get names once semester starts to my understanding

If you click “How Does This Tool Work” and you scroll down a little bit, you will see the following written in the middle of the text box:

• If an applicant selects "Commit to Enroll" to a school, then all other schools where the applicant has an acceptance or alternate list offer will be notified of their selection. However, those schools will not know the name of the school that the applicant has selected.
So they CAN see that you’ve clicked “Commit to Enroll” for another school but just can’t see which school that is.

Does MSAR actually state how many students come off the waitlist?

Can someone provide some MSAR waitlist information about Davis? Kind of curious to know... :X3:

AAMC says if you select commit to enroll that you should formally withdraw all other acceptances and WL. Who knows if all students will follow through. They should just stay on plan to enroll if they aren't sure if they'd pick a WL or new acceptance over their current accept once they're down to 1.

Technically, they can. . . but commit means commit so they shouldn't, lol.

True. 2018-2019 "Commit to Enroll" Deadlines

If they are holding at HMS, I'm going to guess that many of them are going elsewhere!
Welcome to the world of DO admissions! Operating in the dark since, well, forever!

I can only hope you are right, but I wouldn't bet on it.

But I think schools would be benefiting themselves by not doing so. Med schools depend on each other in some aspects, such as sharing rotation sites and giving each other’s students more research opportunities. So if a school starts gaining a reputation for taking students that have already selected Commit to Enroll (since all matriculation data gets released eventually), other schools might start getting a little bit upset...........

Status
Not open for further replies.