This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure ADCOMS have a table of CTE deadlines.
Nope.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Stupid question but I just want verification. If the school doesn’t accept updates, then me sending them that I’m still very interested in attending is pointless correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Stupid question but I just want verification. If the school doesn’t accept updates, then me sending them that I’m still very interested in attending is pointless correct?

Yes. I am annoyed that one of my three waitlists does not accept updates since I have a publication now..... not exactly fluff lol. oh well

Reactions: 1 users
Would you take an applicant that started elsewhere?

It depends.
Two years ago, having affirmed that we would not accept a matriculated student, I would not have done so.
Now, as a committee we have not had to face this. I'm not sure how we will respond.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
To clarify, I was responding to the question: "how would you respond"...

It depends.
Two years ago, having affirmed that we would not accept a matriculated student, I would not have done so.
Now, as a committee we have not had to face this. I'm not sure how we will respond.

I know that some schools have started adding a buffer at the beginning of M1 to allow a more comfortable transition. Most of this basically includes a brief review of undergrad level bio and biochem.

So I hope that some schools will start playing with the idea of maybe taking in students after the start of the school year in case poaching happens.

@gyngyn

When do you believe that your school will do the bulk of its WL movement?

@gyngyn

When do you believe that your school will do the bulk of its WL movement?
It is not that we haven't begun waitlist acceptances (necessarily), rather that waitlists will not begin in earnest until there is some clarity regarding who is likely to attend. This should get better in a week or two as deposits and enforced CTE's take effect.

It is not that we haven't begun waitlist acceptances (necessarily), rather that waitlists will not begin in earnest until there is some clarity regarding who is likely to attend. This should get better in a week or two as deposits and enforced CTE's take effect.

I wonder if some people haven’t withdrawn their acceptances or WL simply because they’re too lazy to send the email..... it happens LOL.

I know that Columbia (supposedly) enforced PTE on April 30th, but I suppose that wouldn’t have really stopped someone from clicking PTE for Columbia and still holding on to acceptance from Yale (assuming Yale didn’t enforce).

I guess that’s part of the reason why these “enforcer” schools are still nervous... maybe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that Columbia (supposedly) enforced PTE on April 30th, but I suppose that wouldn’t have really stopped someone from clicking PTE for Columbia and still holding on to acceptance from Yale (assuming Yale didn’t enforce).

I guess that’s part of the reason why these “enforcer” schools are still nervous... maybe.

PTE doesn’t require you to do anything. If you already have an acceptance somewhere, clicking PTE somewhere else isn’t going to change that.

PTE doesn’t require you to do anything. If you already have an acceptance somewhere, clicking PTE somewhere else isn’t going to change that.

Yes, but are schools like this just a barking dog with no bite then?

I know that schools receive a general number of PTE and CTE from AMCAS, but I can’t remember if they receive specific on who.

Yes, but are schools like this just a barking dog with no bite then?

I know that schools receive a general number of PTE and CTE from AMCAS, but I can’t remember if they receive specific on who.

If you hit CTE now, the other schools you are accepted at or on the WL for will find out that you CTE-ed somewhere else but not told where.

But are they told that you specifically clicked PTE at their school?

Yes after April 30. Unless it was at a different school, in which case they are only told that you chose it for a different school (this is at all schools you have an A or WL at).

I think at a certain point people will move on and withdraw their hopeful WLs if they already have an acceptance.

Are we even allowed to change schools if we have CTE at another school?

I've heard of someone who CTE'd from T20 school A to NYU, school A (known for offering merit aid) called him and was upset, then offered him a full tuition scholarship. So it seems like the tool allows you to change what school is designated as CTE and the schools determine how to subsequently reinforce this.

I've heard of someone who CTE'd from T20 school A to NYU, school A (known for offering merit aid) called him and was upset, then offered him a full tuition scholarship. So it seems like the tool allows you to change what school is designated as CTE and the schools determine how to subsequently reinforce this.
then what is even the fuqing point of having rules if shi t like this is going to happen this entire fuqing process is so frustrating w no one taking responsibility and the WL applicants taking the shaft

reason i ask is my state school has a cte deadline on May 15, that they only mentioned in an email (nothing online ab it lol) and i’m kinda ****ed w my waitlists

As a poster said above, I hate that my life is about excitement for Mondays now... :xf:

Reactions: 14 users
soooooo how early are some of these CTE deadlines, what have people been seeing. Trying to figure out when we can expect some more movement

May 15th is the earliest I’ve see . May 20th is another
I posted this in another thread but I’ll post it here too. Why don’t schools start rejecting people at the bottom of their waitlists? I think it may stir some movement.

Cause who doesn’t like having a buffer? My guess is WL movement is all about class profile balancing. Even if you’re at the ‘bottom’ of the list, there’s probably still a chance you could get in if you fit the demographics that the school is looking for to fill a particular spot

Are we even allowed to change schools if we have CTE at another school?

Technically no but no ones enforcing rules these days so probably. This is where poaching comes into play. It was previously not allowed but I guess it’s a soft rule now too

So do y’all think I should send a letter talking ab the early CTE deadline or just roll w it and hope they poach and grab me later lmao

So do y’all think I should send a letter talking ab the early CTE deadline or just roll w it and hope they poach and grab me later lmao

Am I the only one who thinks that poaching a student that has clicked CTE violates professional ethics??? Someone please explain why this is ok. I’m open to changing my opinion.

Am I the only one who thinks that poaching a student that has clicked CTE violates professional ethics??? Someone please explain why this is ok. I’m open to changing my opinion.

I honestly think they would choose someone with no acceptances over poaching.

Wait, we can PTE on a waitlist school? I’m on one WL (dream school) and I’m holding one acceptance, but only my accepted school shows up on my amcas. This is so confusing.

Wait, we can PTE on a waitlist school? I’m on one WL (dream school) and I’m holding one acceptance, but only my accepted school shows up on my amcas. This is so confusing.

You can only PTE to your accepted schools. But both your accepted and waitlist schools can see if you PTE’d to another school

It was an actual update letter so I don’t expect them to respond but I made it crystal clear that I’d commit to them if accepted.
I sent an LOI and update letter as well back when I was waitlisted and articulated my commitment if accepted. I was waitlisted in January then literally the next day got a DO acceptance. Luckily for me my DO program won’t start until end of July so I’ve got more time than most in similar situations to us sitting on MD waitlists with DO acceptances. From a tuition standpoint really hoping the instate MD pulls through for me lol. Also am extremely grateful that I even have an acceptance and realize the end point will most likely be the same at either place.

Reactions: 3 users
If im on 1 waitlist (ranked but the ranks aren't disclosed to us) to my dream school with no other acceptances and sent them an LOI in March, would it be useful or a waste to send another LOI?

So is the consensus that the stalemate will continue? Or that there is no stalemate and waitlists have already done most of their movement? Or that it will resolve this week? Dying to know lol

Reactions: 7 users
So is the consensus that the stalemate will continue? Or that there is no stalemate and waitlists have already done most of their movement? Or that it will resolve this week? Dying to know lol
There has been a lot of movement this week in the past- so hopefully that's the case this year as well!

Reactions: 8 users
If im on 1 waitlist (ranked but the ranks aren't disclosed to us) to my dream school with no other acceptances and sent them an LOI in March, would it be useful or a waste to send another LOI?
You might as well shoot your shot.

I see it as having nothing left to lose. I would send another LOI. That’s what I did for the school that took me off their waitlist. I wrote them a 3 page love letter, complete with jokes, and outlined why I was a perfect fit for the school.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I still know people who are withdrawing acceptance offers, don't give up on the waitlist movement friends!!!

Help me decide between school X vs Y thread is still reasonably active, lol

Not sure if this is a pessimistic viewpoint or just honest, but I feel this week is the last week for some good WL movement. After this week, I'm guessing it's just going to be a few here and there - the more rare cases. Probably a few around mid-July too, but nothing significant. Seems like we missed this year's cycle, people :(

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Not sure if this is a pessimistic viewpoint or just honest, but I feel this week is the last week for some good WL movement. After this week, I'm guessing it's just going to be a few here and there - the more rare cases. Probably a few around mid-July too, but nothing significant. Seems like we missed this year's cycle, people :(

I share the same viewpoint. This week is the beginning of a sharp downward slope in the bell curve.

• Sad
@gyngyn please comment, please :confused:

I respectfully disagree, most CTE deadlines are still weeks away! Schools are tryna figure out who's going to matriculate still. Gyngyn has been giving that impression as well!

I believe that there will be more than the usual amount of WL activity. It will be pushed later (toward the start of school).
Towards the start of that schools specific CTE deadline? Or towards July?

School CTE deadlines. Most schools start in August. We should see more movement by June. July at the latest.
meme.png

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 73 users
Status
Not open for further replies.