This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. No.
2. No.
Only by including a contract with a CTE will schools be able to clarify intent. At this point, I have seen relatively few examples of enforceable contracts.

If somebody does get a contract could you let me see it?
gyngyn on Wednesday said that. I dont know how to bring the post up in my response but it's there. Someone asked if he could see the waitlists a person who already CTE and he said no.

I stand corrected. That sucks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I called my top choice to see when their CTE deadline was and they just said "2-3 weeks before classes start" :mad:.

@gyngyn your thoughts?
AAMC advised schools to set a CTE 21 days before the start of orientation.
Most of us didn't know what else to do.

I just had a good, sad laugh-cry while imagining leaving my family while my partner tries to sell our house and move alone because I've abandoned my responsibilities to go start school after having randomly having been pulled off a waitlist 2 weeks before that school starts. Because no one had any choice.

I'm so lucky that my partner is loving and supportive and willing to take on all this extra burden. I know there have to be folks out there who are not so well situated.

I recognize this used to happen to people in the old system too. At least it was rarer then - I hope this upcoming cycle is better for those who are applying or reapplying.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Having now gotten a second waitlist and no other interview decisions left to wait for, figured it was time to join the support group!

Have 2 DO waitlists with long shot stats. Shooting for the stars here!

Reactions: 5 users
feelin old seeing the 2018-2019 school specific thread forum get replaced with 2019-2020

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Its more the fact that they didn't have a date and are just leaving it open. I was more curious to see what you thought about seats going empty because of the new process?

Its more the fact that they didn't have a date and are just leaving it open. I was more curious to see what you thought about seats going empty because of the new process?

i doubt schools will ever have empty seats. they will call on waitlisters when school has already started if that happened to be the case. waitlisting more people and prolonging the process helps to ensure they have options in the case of poor estimation.

Reactions: 2 users
Another day goes by with silence from both of my WL. And to boot its 4pm and we still have 7 patient's to see :) Fun fun day!

I think whether schools will enforce the CTE deadline is school specific. At my school, they said sent us a reminder to CTE by the deadline and if we CTEd at that school, but still hold other acceptances/WL, they would drop our acceptance.

Bottom line: yes, seems to be school specific, but I wouldn’t take the risk of remaining on other WLs once you CTEd and are pass the deadline for that particular school, they don’t have a lack of supply of qualified students specially this year, considering they might have given out more WL

AAMC definitely screwed this whole thing up but I feel there’s a lot the schools could have done to make their own lives easier. There’s no reason every school shouldn’t have enforced PTE on April 30th or sometime in May. Then if a school sees a candidate chose “PTE” for another school (or nothing) then those schools where someone held an acceptance (not WL) would remove those candidates. And this should certainly 100% be true for CTE deadlines but also applied to WLs, so at least poaching shouldn’t be an issue.
Can you explain this a bit more? I’m sorry, it’s so confusing. I’m accepted at school B, I used the amcas tool PTE for them, because that’s what I thought I am supposed to do, but I am WL at school A (dream school). School B CTE deadline is 7/15 and school A CTE deadline is 7/8. School A is my dream school, I would 100% go there. But they do not accept updates or LOI. If they accept me after 7/15 will I not be able to go? Also, after I hit the CTE for school B, will they even offer me a spot? Any insight is much appreciated! Hang in there everyone!

That seems to be between you and your individual schools. Frankly, there are no definite answers because there has not been precedent and even schools don't know what will happen. There have already been anecdotes of people switching cte and the previous schools offering greater aid to win the candidate back. I would say every individual scenario depends on applicant and school desirability and level of need and I will not be surprised if things start getting cut throat.

Can you explain this a bit more? I’m sorry, it’s so confusing. I’m accepted at school B, I used the amcas tool PTE for them, because that’s what I thought I am supposed to do, but I am WL at school A (dream school). School B CTE deadline is 7/15 and school A CTE deadline is 7/8. School A is my dream school, I would 100% go there. But they do not accept updates or LOI. If they accept me after 7/15 will I not be able to go? Also, after I hit the CTE for school B, will they even offer me a spot? Any insight is much appreciated! Hang in there everyone!

Oh boy. Okay I think I can tackle this from what I've read.

If school A accepts you before their own CTE deadline, you're golden. You take that acceptance, and CTE to school A. No harm, no foul.

If school A accepts you off their waitlist AFTER their own CTE deadline but BEFORE the CTE deadline of school B, you're also golden. Again, you CTE to school A.

For the more complicated scenarios: Theoretically, if you CTE to school B, you must withdraw your waitlists. Nobody is enforcing this but the schools, however. So if you decide to CTE to school B without removing yourself from the waitlist at school A, it's entirely possible that school B will just rescind your acceptance. School A will see that you CTE'd.

However, we're not entirely sure what's going to happen here. It looks like "poaching" might be a problem this cycle: where a school will offer you an acceptance with the explicit intention of taking you away from another school that you've committed to, so that they can fill their own classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
You technically shouldn't even have the option of going to school A if you arent accepted off the waitlist before the CTE deadline at school B. Per other's comments this has been a big point of contention for a lot of people on here without any acceptances because if you dont give up your waitlist spots when you need to commit to enroll at another school it slows the pace down considerably for everyone else. Luckily, your first choice school has a CTE date before your other acceptance so you could potentially get in during that window.

This thread right now:

70% Complaining
29% Memes
1% Actual Information

Reactions: 12 users
The pain of this is going to turn us all into sarcastic Dr. Houses

• Haha
I understand why AMCAS decided to discontinue the MAR

But why is that any reason for AMCAS to stop enforcing the 4/30 deadline?

Reactions: 1 user
If they accept me after 7/15 will I not be able to go? Also, after I hit the CTE for school B, will they even offer me a spot? Any insight is much appreciated! Hang in there everyone!

@smallscrapes explained it well.

For other people in this situation I think it is a bad idea to mess around and hope that schools don't enforce the rules. The schools that I have been accepted to each sent me a list of rules that I must follow and it says clear as day that after 4/30 you should only have one acceptance and once you hit CTE you must withdraw your WLs or else your acceptance will/may be rescinded. Sure some schools may not enforce this but it does not seem to be worth the gamble. I know everyone has WLs they want to get off and the CTE deadlines make that hard but tough luck - doesn't mean the rules don't apply to us and doesn't mean we should mess around and risk getting an A rescinded

doesn't mean the rules don't apply to us and doesn't mean we should mess around and risk getting an A rescinded

Except it’s not a rule unless the school specifically requires you to commit by then. Going down to one acceptance by April 30 is a guideline.

Seats will not go empty.

Except it’s not a rule unless the school specifically requires you to commit by then. Going down to one acceptance by April 30 is a guideline.
I'm saying ever school I have looked at so far has made it not optional. But sure some schools may not have rules

I believe all schools have it phrased as a rule in their application timeline guidelines but it unfortunately is enforced as a guideline and in a school specific way. Which also seems to be the case with CTE and waitlist vacating. Definitely not a good thing since it makes the playing field imbalanced from school to school.

I believe all schools have it phrased as a rule in their application timeline guidelines but it unfortunately is enforced as a guideline and in a school specific way. Which also seems to be the case with CTE and waitlist vacating. Definitely not a good thing since it makes the playing field imbalanced from school to school.

Not every school has. And even if every school did, how would they enforce it unless they all made the CTE deadline April 30?

The biggest lie perpetuated by House MD is that you can transfer to another Med school after being expelled...

Lol

The biggest lie perpetuated by House MD is that you can transfer to another Med school after being expelled...

Lol

The science is so bad sometimes that I cringe.

I remember once when he said “the patient can only have type A blood because she only has antibodies against the A antigen”

Honestly if I’m half the Dr that House is I will have won life
No physician thinks the character (Dr. House) is anything but a scourge and fictitious blight.
In contrast, Dr. Oz is an actual scourge and blight upon the profession.

• Love
No physician thinks the character (Dr. House) is anything but a scourge and fictitious blight.

It would be really funny if gyngyn was an ADCOM from Columbia. LOL

It’s honestly sad how many people enter college thinking that medicine is resembled by Grey’s Anatomy and House.

Probably why the pre med dropout rate is so high.

Whew!! I stopped regularly reading this thread since I committed to a school last week and withdrew from my WLs, but y'all just made me laugh and cry all at once. Keep on fighting the good fight. I hope things work out for all of you! I know waiting is the worst, but it'll be so worth it when you get that acceptance :clap:

if you want to ruin your day a little. happy tuesday y’all. let’s (hopefully) get this bread :’)

Do you know any wait list movements started in Keck USC? I’m a mother , my daughter is in waiting list. I’m reading everyday how stressful all of you are in WL. This is so sad to see these smart kids getting mentally exhausted. My daughter has 517, cgpa 3.83 she has very good extra curricular acitivities also research publications. She worked so hard for her dream, since she was in middle school. It’s hard me to see her sad face which she tries to hide from us. As parents we are also very disappointed about this unpredictable and unorganized system. Something missing in this system. I wish you all the best! A mom.

Reactions: 22 users
I'm sure this has been asked somewhere on this thread in some form or another, so sorry if this is redundant...

If you have ZERO acceptances and are only on waitlists (which I am), your waitlist schools can tell that you have no acceptances. Therefore, writing a letter of intent to a school (albeit one that is very receptive to updates and LOIs) explicitly stating the phrase "if I am accepted, I will attend" will probably not do much, right? They already know since you have no acceptances that there is a high likelihood of you accepting. I've already sent multiple letters to this school saying it is my top choice/provided updates but never explicitly used the phrase "if I am accepted, I will attend." I just felt I was basically saying that when I said it was my first choice compounded with having no acceptances.

Recently, I've gotten a little nervous when I see other people get pulled off the WL after writing a letter of intent, but maybe in my case with no acceptances it is meaningless. Some might say you have nothing to lose to write another letter just clarifying your intent, but I don't want to come across as desperate and write a letter when it will have no weight. It really is my first choice school so it's not an empty statement, but maybe it's just unnecessary. Thoughts? I am leaning towards I should probably just be patient and see how the WL movement unfolds...

I'm sure this has been asked somewhere on this thread in some form or another, so sorry if this is redundant...

If you have ZERO acceptances and are only on waitlists (which I am), your waitlist schools can tell that you have no acceptances. Therefore, writing a letter of intent to a school (albeit one that is very receptive to updates and LOIs) explicitly stating the phrase "if I am accepted, I will attend" will probably not do much, right? They already know since you have no acceptances that there is a high likelihood of you accepting. I've already sent multiple letters to this school saying it is my top choice/provided updates but never explicitly used the phrase "if I am accepted, I will attend." I just felt I was basically saying that when I said it was my first choice compounded with having no acceptances.

Recently, I've gotten a little nervous when I see other people get pulled off the WL after writing a letter of intent, but maybe in my case with no acceptances it is meaningless. Some might say you have nothing to lose to write another letter just clarifying your intent, but I don't want to come across as desperate and write a letter when it will have no weight. It really is my first choice school so it's not an empty statement, but maybe it's just unnecessary. Thoughts? I am leaning towards I should probably just be patient and see how the WL movement unfolds...
I feel your struggle! Given that you have already sent in updates and a LOI, I feel you should do the latter and wait it out. I know the waiting process is no fun, but we’re all in the same boat. Just got to trust the process. Most schools pull from waitlist until school starts so don’t lose hope! Adcom know and see that you’re dedicated.

I feel your struggle! Given that you have already sent in updates and a LOI, I feel you should do the latter and wait it out. I know the waiting process is no fun, but we’re all in the same boat. Just got to trust the process. Most schools pull from waitlist until school starts so don’t lose hope! Adcom know and see that you’re dedicated.
I appreciate the input! I've been pretty calm and collected about everything overall, but I think seeing recent glimpses of WL movement was a little unsettling. But, I've basically been waiting almost a whole year since I began this process, so I think I can wait another month or two! Good luck to you! :)

What do you guys think about using a new job as an update at this point in the cycle? I want to do everything I can to get off the WL but worry if my WL will look at my update and maybe pass up on me if I’ve committed to a new job. No idea if adcoms are this convoluted lol.

Tagging @gyngyn to try and get noticed

is there anyone else here who can relate to this:

being at a job that you really and truly cannot stand? My work has gotten to the point where I genuinely and thoroughly dread each day. Sometimes I drag my feet in the morning for those few extra moments of peace before I get to spend 9 hours having my soul sucked out through my eyes. The culture is toxic, and based in pointing fingers and laying blame. People undermine each other, and there isn't a sense of teamwork or camaraderie. My SO is friends with many of their coworkers and they sometimes go out and get drinks and spend time together, and I envy them so much. I so wanted to have something like that when I started in the workforce.

It frustrates me because I thought I could hang on to this job while waiting on medical schools, and could finally feel comfortable enough to quit sometime this month and move on to a future I could only hope would be different. But now I have no clue if medical school is going to happen. I worry about if/when I should start a job hunt (obviously if I don't get in this cycle, I will not spend more time being miserable here lol). I just want to know what's going to happen in my own damn life!

AH. It feels good to get that out. Such a rough time this is, truly.
yeah, this exactly describes how i feel right now... but i really need the money... so i need to work till matriculation

• Sad
why? i know him only from NY med (is that right?), but what else did he do?

Someone earlier was mentioning that if you are on WL and reapplying, then you can just apply to one school and add more schools after verification. But if you are verified in the middle of June then you can actually wait till June 30!

Can anyone confirm this is true? It won’t delay the app being sent to schools as long as they’re added before June 30??
For someone who is reapplying I really still don’t understand amcas lol.

Hi everyone, I was wondering.. what do you think it means when a school rejects students off the alternate list?
Is it more due to lack of movement or because they’re zeroing in on specific students?

Hi everyone, I was wondering.. what do you think it means when a school rejects students off the alternate list?
Is it more due to lack of movement or because they’re zeroing in on specific students?

I'm not certain there's any way to know this for sure. For one school whose threads from a past cycle I followed, it meant that they were anticipating a full class already and were freeing their waitlisted students to make other plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.