This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
School CTE deadlines. Most schools start in August. We should see more movement by June. July at the latest.
Why don’t schools just contact their accepted students that didn’t use the tool/didn’t select PTE for their school and tell them to make a decision now or have their acceptance rescinded? Waiting until CTE deadlines isn’t the smart way to be going about this. Some schools have CTE deadlines in June - those students will effectively have no chance if they were waitlisted at a school with a CTE deadline in July. Schools will likely have a limited waitlist to select from because of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Why don’t schools just contact their accepted students that didn’t use the tool/didn’t select PTE for their school and tell them to make a decision now or have their acceptance rescinded? Waiting until CTE deadlines isn’t the smart way to be going about this. Some schools have CTE deadlines in June - those students will effectively have no chance if they were waitlisted at a school with a CTE deadline in July. Schools will likely have a limited waitlist to select from because of this.
Some schools have done this but it would be nice if there was uniform enforcement of the guidelines/rules

Reactions: 3 users
I sent an LOI and update letter as well back when I was waitlisted and articulated my commitment if accepted. I was waitlisted in January then literally the next day got a DO acceptance. Luckily for me my DO program won’t start until end of July so I’ve got more time than most in similar situations to us sitting on MD waitlists with DO acceptances. From a tuition standpoint really hoping the instate MD pulls through for me lol. Also am extremely grateful that I even have an acceptance and realize the end point will most likely be the same at either place.

I’m in the exact same boat! I feel ya 100%

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC definitely screwed this whole thing up but I feel there’s a lot the schools could have done to make their own lives easier. There’s no reason every school shouldn’t have enforced PTE on April 30th or sometime in May. Then if a school sees a candidate chose “PTE” for another school (or nothing) then those schools where someone held an acceptance (not WL) would remove those candidates. And this should certainly 100% be true for CTE deadlines but also applied to WLs, so at least poaching shouldn’t be an issue.

Reactions: 5 users
I feel like there will be unfilled seats this year, because if we don't have any movement until July a lot of students may have to make a decision to move/find an apartment by then and it will be to late for them to accept a seat off of a WL. At least that will be the case for me. If i don't hear anything by mid June Im going to have to commit to Chicago.

I called my top choice to see when their CTE deadline was and they just said "2-3 weeks before classes start" :mad:.

@gyngyn your thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users
Essentially, they need an intermediate status of "required to withdraw all acceptances, but allowed to stay on wait lists" that could have a mandatory deadline earlier on.

Essentially, they need an intermediate status of "required to withdraw all acceptances, but allowed to stay on wait lists" that could have a mandatory deadline earlier on.
Lol this is PTE, if it was enforced.

Reactions: 4 users

Yeah, that was literally what was supposed to happen on April 30, but it wasn't enforced.

Reactions: 1 user
time for me to give up?
Honestly whomstdn'tven't to say, given the rule change? I've been vacillating between "no movement yet so I am literally certain to get in cause lists are about to move bigtime" and "I will literally never get into med school" with alarming frequency lol

Reactions: 10 users
Honestly whomstdn'tven't to say, given the rule change? I've been vacillating between "no movement yet so I am literally certain to get in cause lists are about to move bigtime" and "I will literally never get into med school" with alarming frequency lol
> whomstdn'tven't
> vacillating

Top tier vocabulary game

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel the same way. It is just so cruel to go from post interview not knowing to WL to waiting anxiously for april 30th then for nothing to happen and to now still not know if there will be any more movement at all.

Reactions: 7 users
I just want to get in this cycle so I don't have to go through this again....I doubt there will be significant changes next year

Reactions: 8 users
i just keep telling myself that my school has never taken this few people off the waitlist so there must be more movement coming.... right?

Reactions: 6 users
is there anyone else here who can relate to this:

being at a job that you really and truly cannot stand? My work has gotten to the point where I genuinely and thoroughly dread each day. Sometimes I drag my feet in the morning for those few extra moments of peace before I get to spend 9 hours having my soul sucked out through my eyes. The culture is toxic, and based in pointing fingers and laying blame. People undermine each other, and there isn't a sense of teamwork or camaraderie. My SO is friends with many of their coworkers and they sometimes go out and get drinks and spend time together, and I envy them so much. I so wanted to have something like that when I started in the workforce.

It frustrates me because I thought I could hang on to this job while waiting on medical schools, and could finally feel comfortable enough to quit sometime this month and move on to a future I could only hope would be different. But now I have no clue if medical school is going to happen. I worry about if/when I should start a job hunt (obviously if I don't get in this cycle, I will not spend more time being miserable here lol). I just want to know what's going to happen in my own damn life!

AH. It feels good to get that out. Such a rough time this is, truly.

Reactions: 17 users

being at a job that you really and truly cannot stand? My work has gotten to the point where I genuinely and thoroughly dread each day. Sometimes I drag my feet in the morning for those few extra moments of peace before I get to spend 9 hours having my soul sucked out through my eyes. The culture is toxic, and based in pointing fingers and laying blame. People undermine each other, and there isn't a sense of teamwork or camaraderie. My SO is friends with many of their coworkers and they sometimes go out and get drinks and spend time together, and I envy them so much. I so wanted to have something like that when I started in the workforce.

It frustrates me because I thought I could hang on to this job while waiting on medical schools, and could finally feel comfortable enough to quit sometime this month and move on to a future I could only hope would be different. But now I have no clue if medical school is going to happen. I worry about if/when I should start a job hunt (obviously if I don't get in this cycle, I will not spend more time being miserable here lol). I just want to know what's going to happen in my own damn life!

I would just start looking for a new job. It will serve as a distraction by giving you something to do while you wait. If you get in, you just stop looking, or if you've been offered a job somewhere, you put in your notice. If you don't get in, you'll get a new job that much sooner and won't have to be miserable.

My work has gotten to the point where I genuinely and thoroughly dread each day
My SO is friends with many of their coworkers and they sometimes go out and get drinks and spend time together, and I envy them so much. I so wanted to have something like that when I started in the workforce.
This is my everyday existence. I left my prior job that I loved for this one since I made a little more money and feel like I sold my soul. It is agony watching friends settle down into a great high-paying job with a ton of fun coworkers while I have to just shrug and say I dont know when they ask about med school. Its a crappy feeling.

I was so excited to fire out of this job into med school in a blaze of glory and it looks like that may be put on hold lol.

• Sad
Guys, it's still early. Try to tone down the doom and gloom. Find something to distract yourself, which may mean getting off SDN for a while. This cycle has obviously been strange, and it seems like rather than a large amount of movement in the beginning that tapers off, there will be slower movement spread across a few months as CTE deadlines come and go.

Reactions: 17 users
This is my everyday existence. I left my prior job that I loved for this one since I made a little more money and feel like I sold my soul. It is agony watching friends settle down into a great high-paying job with a ton of fun coworkers while I have to just shrug and say I dont know when they ask about med school. Its a crappy feeling.

I was so excited to fire out of this job into med school in a blaze of glory and it looks like that may be put on hold lol.
SAME:(

Don't worry Chief I'm right there with you. I loved my job when I first began, but being on a waitlist and being so close to attending school made me realize that there is so much more I'd like to achieve. I still enjoy my job but once you get a taste of what is on the other side you can't help but feel slightly dejected that you aren't able to attain it at the moment you desire. You'll be fine man, just keep your head up. A lot of us are on the same boat so hopefully there's a silver lining at the end of it.

One of the issues is that I don't want to express commitment to another (or my current) job just to drop out in the case that I have to matriculate.

I think one of the big problems is that this specific feeling of being stuck and unable to plan for anything in our lives actually resists distraction very well. I have my family so I have responsibilities to attend to, but in the moments where I'm left alone with my brain, it's very difficult to turn off this awful background noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
If I were on a waitlist with a school with an earlier commit to enroll date wouldn't this be bad news because more students would be forced to commit and therefore less spots off the waitlist?

Is there a place to find all schools' CTE dates?

If I were on a waitlist with a school with an earlier commit to enroll date wouldn't this be bad news because more students would be forced to commit and therefore less spots off the waitlist?

If I'm understanding correctly, I would say that's the best case to be in. If that school you're on WL for has an early CTE date, that means anybody who holds an acceptance there must commit to enroll there by that date. If they decide they want to go to another school they hold an acceptance for, want to wait on other wait lists, or what ever, then they will decline and open a spot for a WL applicant. Since you have an earlier date your WL movement will occur sooner than most I'd assume.

tapatalk_1552091658578.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 20 users
I would just start looking for a new job. It will serve as a distraction by giving you something to do while you wait. If you get in, you just stop looking, or if you've been offered a job somewhere, you put in your notice. If you don't get in, you'll get a new job that much sooner and won't have to be miserable.
I can relate. I wouldn't say I hate my job, but I'm definitely burned out and ready to move on. I wouldn't be able to stay for another year. Stay positive though! There's still time!

You’re definitely not alone. While I didn’t feel the negativity in the workplace as you did, working as a scribe for this past year was enjoyable at first but I dreaded the idea of doing it for another year. You’re essentially the lowest on the totem pole and seeing my coworkers gain admission was disheartening to say the least. When I finally got my first acceptance last week, I felt like a new person! Hold out, I’m sure good news is coming!!

If I'm understanding correctly, I would say that's the best case to be in. If that school you're on WL for has an early CTE date, that means anybody who holds an acceptance there must commit to enroll there by that date. If they decide they want to go to another school they hold an acceptance for, want to wait on other wait lists, or what ever, then they will decline and open a spot for a WL applicant. Since you have an earlier date your WL movement will occur sooner than most I'd assume.
The question is what do we do if you're on a waitlist for your top choice with a late CTE deadline and have an acceptance to a school with an early CTE deadline?

The question is what do we do if you're on a waitlist for your top choice with a late CTE deadline and have an acceptance to a school with an early CTE deadline?
A lot of people have been saying something like this, but honestly? Either email your WL school and explain the situation, hoping they take pity and accept you or just suck it up and truly CTE. The people here talking about staying on the WL even after their accepted CTE deadline are honestly part of the problem that they're so loudly moaning about.

I would rather have a seat anywhere than no seat at all. So maybe its not your top choice and that sucks, but at least you have an acceptance! That's more than a lot of people on this thread can say. I'm not trying to be harsh but that's just the reality this year.

Reactions: 9 users

Theoretically, students with multiple acceptances will have to CTE elsewhere before your top school's CTE deadline comes up. In other words, it's very unlikely that someone will wait to commit to enroll until July 25th at your top school. Of course, family emergencies, financial reasons, etc do come up

I would rather have a seat anywhere than no seat at all. So maybe its not your top choice and that sucks, but at least you have an acceptance! That's more than a lot of people on this thread can say. I'm not trying to be harsh but that's just the reality this year.
Believe me, I am so thankful for that. I am just really confused as to what this process entails is all

So do y’all think I should send a letter talking ab the early CTE deadline or just roll w it and hope they poach and grab me later lmao
Believe me, I am so thankful for that. I am just really confused as to what this process entails is all
The choice is yours. If you want to remain ethical and professional, CTE by your schools' deadlines and withdraw from your WLs. If you don't care about that and would rather be dishonest and have a chance at your WL schools, by all means CTE and remain on the waitlists. The choice is yours. Poaching has happened in the past and will likely be worse this year due to the lack of accountability in the new rules. If you want to contribute to that, then go ahead, but don't come here asking people who still don't have any acceptances looking for someone to give you permission to break the rules so that you feel less bad about yourself.

Reactions: 11 users
The weirdest part about this new process is that all WL spots are not equal. you can be next in line on your top choice waitlist but if you are holding any acceptances at all even to your last choice school you have no choice but to vacate your WL spot. If you dont have any acceptances you are able to wait that person out. It seems so bizarre that this is how they are trying to do this. Also seems like the med schools are just along for the ride as well.. I called one of them and they legit had no idea when their CTE date was or what I was even talking about. Felt weird to be explaining their own process to them.

Curious to know if people are filling out the 2020 app already or are just waiting longer and setting a deadline to start

Reactions: 2 users
..I'm just thankful my top choice's CTE deadline is before my current acceptance's deadline.. I couldn't imagine having to wrestle with ethics vs dreams..

..I'm just thankful my top choice's CTE deadline is before my current acceptance's deadline.. I couldn't imagine having to wrestle with ethics vs dreams..

Casper writers browsing this thread take notes

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Curious to know if people are filling out the 2020 app already or are just waiting longer and setting a deadline to start
I feel like taking a bit too long to submit was my biggest mistake this cycle, so I've been working on it and I'll be submitting day one. Hope for the best and plan for the worst

My 2020 is pretty much ready to go. My school list is drastically different though so I should be getting started on secondaries.

Reactions: 2 users
The choice is yours. If you want to remain ethical and professional, CTE by your schools' deadlines and withdraw from your WLs. If you don't care about that and would rather be dishonest and have a chance at your WL schools, by all means CTE and remain on the waitlists. The choice is yours. Poaching has happened in the past and will likely be worse this year due to the lack of accountability in the new rules. If you want to contribute to that, then go ahead, but don't come here asking people who still don't have any acceptances looking for someone to give you permission to break the rules so that you feel less bad about yourself.

Also I wouldn’t risk getting my acceptance rescinded. Schools can see that you CTE’d but didn’t pull yourself off waitlists and they will rescind your acceptance. Definitely not worth the risk in my opinion. I’m in a similar boat and just emailed the schools I am WL at letting them know about the CTE deadline

Also I wouldn’t risk getting my acceptance rescinded. Schools can see that you CTE’d but didn’t pull yourself off waitlists and they will rescind your acceptance. Definitely not worth the risk in my opinion. I’m in a similar boat and just emailed the schools I am WL at letting them know about the CTE deadline
Schools can't see you didn't pull your waitlists according to one of the adcoms earlier in this thread

I assume you mean gyngyn. They never stated that schools could not see, just that they were not required to enforce.
gyngyn on Wednesday said that. I dont know how to bring the post up in my response but it's there. Someone asked if he could see the waitlists a person who already CTE and he said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.