2019-2020 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And yup, just checked my email, placed on the Alternate list as expected

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say just about all of us got alternated
Makes sense when they said that there was only 3-5 spots available and that the two interview groups had about 20 people each lol. Hoping for more movement in the next few weeks though!

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't received anything yet, hoping for the best!

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think it’s possible that during the committee’s meeting today some interviewees were placed on the Alternate list, while a few others were chosen to be presented to the Dean next week for admission?

Also, I think at one point they mentioned a ranking system, even though the email states there’s no such thing. I’m not sure if this applies to the Alternate list candidates, but an interviewer mentioned that some of the interviewees would be placed on a list and ranked from 1-5, with 4 and 5 being most likely to earn a position in the coming days/weeks. Does anyone know more about this?

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think it’s possible that during the committee’s meeting today some interviewees were placed on the Alternate list, while a few others were chosen to be presented to the Dean next week for admission?

Also, I think at one point they mentioned a ranking system, even though the email states there’s no such thing. I’m not sure if this applies to the Alternate list candidates, but an interviewer mentioned that some of the interviewees would be placed on a list and ranked from 1-5, with 4 and 5 being most likely to earn a position in the coming days/weeks. Does anyone know more about this?
I believe every candidate is graded on a 1-5 scale whether they’re on the alternate list or not. At my interview, the dean mentioned the same scale. Even though they say the alternate list isn’t ranked, that isn’t particularly true because they do have an internal ranking.

I believe every candidate is graded on a 1-5 scale whether they’re on the alternate list or not. At my interview, the dean mentioned the same scale. Even though they say the alternate list isn’t ranked, that isn’t particularly true because they do have an internal ranking.

So do you suppose that all interviewees are being put on the alternate list for now, regardless of rank? Or do you think that a few will be presented to the Dean next week, while the majority wait on the alternate list?

They said there were open positions in Tampa, but no one has mentioned an acceptance to Tampa yet. This could mean that acceptances will be decided next week for both campuses, but that those who were put on the alternate list today are not being considered next week. What is your (and everyone else’s) opinion?

So do you suppose that all interviewees are being put on the alternate list for now, regardless of rank? Or do you think that a few will be presented to the Dean next week, while the majority wait on the alternate list?

They said there were open positions in Tampa, but no one has mentioned an acceptance to Tampa yet. This could mean that acceptances will be decided next week for both campuses, but that those who were put on the alternate list today are not being considered next week. What is your (and everyone else’s) opinion?

If I remember correctly the dean made it sound like we will all be on the alternate list, but will be ranked, so "5's and 4's" are higher on that list. I know they said they would make decisions today and speak with the dean Monday to sign off. So it could be that people get accepted on Monday, but also maybe more will be added to the alternate list. Although the dean said everyone will go on the list because classes are full, the head of admissions mentioned the 3-5 spots. It's so hard to know exactly. I didn't get an email today, so I'm guessing I'll hear something Monday. Just hoping it isn't a flat rejection or anything.

I think the fact that you and @CABGpatchk didn't receive the alternate list email today when others did could bode well for you guys on Monday. But it could also mean maybe being rejected although I haven't seen too many on here get rejected. I would think that they would just email you the rejection like they did for the people on placed on the alternate list.

I was put on the alternate list last year and I interviewed here late in the cycle. Everyone else I talked too from my interview class said they were out on the alternate list. I think it really means they like you but they need to check the withdrawals from the generated class and have a meeting on how they will rank those they liked. I think it’s a good sign for you all!

I was taken off the list in about two weeks when I interviewed here late in the cycle. I had a good app but nothing that really tied me to Florida or the school so I think that’s why I specifically was not interviewed into the very end of the cycle, which may not be the case for many of you. Most people in my interview group were from Florida. Surprisingly, NSU is very friendly to in state and people who have connections to Florida for a private school which is a big plus to those from Florida!

for those who have an acceptance, congratulations! You’ll be going somewhere. For those who don’t yet, I wish you the best of luck and don’t give up but also don’t wait around for things to happen. Start looking at your new applications and what you have done in the last year to improve or look at what you really need to do to boost that application.

It’s really hard to do but once you get in, it will all be worth it!

Reactions: 2 users
I was put on the alternate list last year and I interviewed here late in the cycle. Everyone else I talked too from my interview class said they were out on the alternate list. I think it really means they like you but they need to check the withdrawals from the generated class and have a meeting on how they will rank those they liked. I think it’s a good sign for you all!

I was taken off the list in about two weeks when I interviewed here late in the cycle. I had a good app but nothing that really tied me to Florida or the school so I think that’s why I specifically was not interviewed into the very end of the cycle, which may not be the case for many of you. Most people in my interview group were from Florida. Surprisingly, NSU is very friendly to in state and people who have connections to Florida for a private school which is a big plus to those from Florida!

for those who have an acceptance, congratulations! You’ll be going somewhere. For those who don’t yet, I wish you the best of luck and don’t give up but also don’t wait around for things to happen. Start looking at your new applications and what you have done in the last year to improve or look at what you really need to do to boost that application.

It’s really hard to do but once you get in, it will all be worth it!
I saw from last year's thread that there were people who were "alternate-accepted" and people who were standard "alternate". I'm not sure if thats something they did really late in the cycle though. Were you just on the alternate list?

Applying this cycle and really like this school. Just tryna see where I stand and see if anyone can answer a few questions cause I am a little confused. When you guys talk about gpa are you specifically talking about AACOMAS gpa or? Cause my accomas gpa and science gpa when it was verified is higher than I anticipated. I was expecting around a 3.3 but I guess they included zoology science classes and it is in the 3.5 ballpark. Wondering if this is correct or if schools only include the hard core classes like the biochems and orgs. Also were any of your physics, biochems, type categories sub 3.0 on the breakdown? Also do you think I'd have a realistic chance at this school with a gpa like that and a 501 Mcat or is it not even worth it. Thank you so much for any insight and advice anyone can provide!!!

I saw from last year's thread that there were people who were "alternate-accepted" and people who were standard "alternate". I'm not sure if thats something they did really late in the cycle though. Were you just on the alternate list?
To be quite honest, I don't remember there being two different list. I was on an alternate list for about 2 weeks and then received an email with my acceptance. Being put on the alternate list was about 1 week also. I'm not sure if that was official. I remember the dean speaking to our class at lunch about everyone interviewing for a waitlist but that they expected a lot of movement and that it was a good sign. Some programs are not known for pulling too many off their waitlist, I would say NSU is not that program with regards to last year at least and the size of the program.

So to put short, I think alternate was considered alternate-accept based on how it was explained after our interview/tour dates. I don't have my alternate letter anymore to confirm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying this cycle and really like this school. Just tryna see where I stand and see if anyone can answer a few questions cause I am a little confused. When you guys talk about gpa are you specifically talking about AACOMAS gpa or? Cause my accomas gpa and science gpa when it was verified is higher than I anticipated. I was expecting around a 3.3 but I guess they included zoology science classes and it is in the 3.5 ballpark. Wondering if this is correct or if schools only include the hard core classes like the biochems and orgs. Also were any of your physics, biochems, type categories sub 3.0 on the breakdown? Also do you think I'd have a realistic chance at this school with a gpa like that and a 501 Mcat or is it not even worth it. Thank you so much for any insight and advice anyone can provide!!!
I don't know how it's going now but I know some people in the 2023 class have mcat in that range. It wont disqualify you so I think it's worth a shot. Consider your fit for a program too, your connections to the state, your mission in medicine. Do these factors align with the school somewhat, then you likely have a better chance of getting an interview. MCAT is only one aspect of your interview and NSU seems pretty open in their process for choosing applicants.

ACCEPTED! I truly cannot believe it! Just received the email :)

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Accepted to the Tampa/Clearwater campus today. Super excited to start medical school in Florida. Southern California Resident :D

Reactions: 3 users
Was this your first acceptance? Congrats!
Yeah. Thank you so much! I really hope the people here who really want to attend NSU are able to get off the waitlist. I understand the feeling being on 2 WL prior to this June post-interview acceptance. I am so so so grateful.

White coat ceremony postponed

Hello Class of 2024, I hope that this communication finds you in good health. I am reaching out to inform you that the University President has decided to postpone the White Coat Ceremony planned for August 2020. This decision has been made due to the unprecedented circumstances that we currently face and social distancing guidelines.
The White Coat Ceremony is a special rite of passage for medical students and is a time to celebrate and acknowledge your entry into the medical profession. At the Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine, we take pride in sharing this special day with you and your family.
We look forward to planning this event sometime next year when we can gather safely and give you the recognition that you all deserve.

White coat ceremony postponed

Hello Class of 2024, I hope that this communication finds you in good health. I am reaching out to inform you that the University President has decided to postpone the White Coat Ceremony planned for August 2020. This decision has been made due to the unprecedented circumstances that we currently face and social distancing guidelines.
The White Coat Ceremony is a special rite of passage for medical students and is a time to celebrate and acknowledge your entry into the medical profession. At the Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine, we take pride in sharing this special day with you and your family.
We look forward to planning this event sometime next year when we can gather safely and give you the recognition that you all deserve.
yes, I was very disappointed about that.

yes, I was very disappointed about that.

If it makes you feel better, most of us didn’t want to be there cause it was scheduled right before exams and it was mostly faculty saying long speeches and then 5 minutes of white coat ceremony. You’ll still get it but you’re not missing much besides pics with your fam.

So no more movement? I thought there might be some since the last batch of acceptances that went out on Monday had 24 hours to accept it. Maybe the class is full?

Hey I just wanted to update. I initially got an alternate email but then got the acceptance soon after, but then got off another waitlist on the same day and I’m going there instead. Goodluck friends!

I love NSU-KPCOM and I wish I was able to attend.

I withdrew my acceptance from here.

I hope it goes to someone here.

I wish you all the best! You guys worked hard to make it here and I’m sure all of you are going to make great physicians.

YOU CAN DO THIS GUYS!

does anyone know if classes will still be in-person the first two weeks or is that going to change because of the surge in covid? they already delayed the white coat ceremony indefinitely...

Anyone know of any recent movement?

Anyone know of any recent movement?
looks like the classes are full. Just a matter of if students withdraw because they get in and choose to go elsewhere at this point

Update: I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday. I took the 24 hours to think about it because I was accepted to CCOM last week. I am declining the acceptance at NSU (Tampa campus) and I hope it goes to one of you deserving folks!

I was called today asking if I was still interested as an alternate. I declined because I have an accepted elsewhere. Hopefully if there's movement it'll go to one of you guys!

Update: I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday. I took the 24 hours to think about it because I was accepted to CCOM last week. I am declining the acceptance at NSU (Tampa campus) and I hope it goes to one of you deserving folks!

Haha you sure you dont want to switch spots with me?

I wonder if I should just ship myself in a box to the committee on admissions

I interviewed with the June 17th group and I just received a call today. Does anyone know if we all got a call?

I wonder if I should just ship myself in a box to the committee on admissions

Maybe you could send them an email of continued interest? I don't know how much they take stuff like that into account, but it probably couldn't hurt. Rooting for you!

Interviewed 6/18 and accepted off the waitlist today to the Tampa Bay campus! Excited to attend next year!!

Reactions: 4 users
I was accepted off the waitlist this morning for the Fort Lauderdale campus too. Congratulations to everyone else!

A friend told me none of your guy's exams are proctored since covid? Is that true?

It wasn’t by choice. Basically not all of us had a laptop and stable internet connection to run a zoom and take the exam at the same time. Big reason why they made laptops a requirement this year and now everyone must have one since our exams will take place on the laptop instead of the iPad very soon.