2019-2020 UT Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my primary 5/14 and my app was completed 6/21, but I still haven't gotten a secondary. LM 75 and IS, so I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat
Did you get an email stating that they have to select you for a secondary? That is their first step in the process.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how the Dell secondary system works? I submitted and was complete pretty early (transmitted ~May 25th), and have received IIs from every other Texas school I applied to, but no secondary yet from Dell. Does this mean I probably won't get one or is their process just really really different?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the Dell secondary system works? I submitted and was complete pretty early (transmitted ~May 25th), and have received IIs from every other Texas school I applied to, but no secondary yet from Dell. Does this mean I probably won't get one or is their process just really really different?
They screen and only offer the secondary to some (disclaimer, I don't know their screens and I don't know what percent get a secondary).
The secondary is webcam answers to questions, so you can't pre-write.
Keep up the writing on your other schools and give it some time!

Reactions: 1 user
What is the size of the incoming class and what is it expected to be next year?

Our class size is 50, looks like it's going to remain that way for the next few years.
Congratulations. Did you already start school? If I may ask, how did you arrive at Dell with your 8 other admissions? Sorry 3 other? Not sure the difference between IA vs A.

Congratulations. Did you already start school? If I may ask, how did you arrive at Dell with your 8 other admissions? Sorry 3 other? Not sure the difference between IA vs A.

Interviews attended and Acceptance

Please feel free to PM me with any specific questions you have!

II yesterday morning! Submitted secondary ~3 weeks ago. LM 72 and IS.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else still holding out for a secondary? Transmitted 6/25 and letters in 7/08 but still anxiously waiting...

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
TMDSAS Received: 6/18
Secondary invite: 7/18 (Very unexpected but very happy to get one)

Reactions: 2 users
Such an amazing interview and school (interviewed on 8/8)! Very motivated group of faculty and students who have already begun to contribute meaningful changes to health care and medicine.

Reactions: 6 users
Such an amazing interview and school (interviewed on 8/8)! Very motivated group of faculty and students who have already begun to contribute meaningful changes to health care and medicine.

That's great to hear! Was there an event the night before?

Finally got a secondary invite today!

Same, got a secondary invite, was totally not expecting it (OOS)

Reactions: 1 users
Should I just give up on holding out for a secondary at this point lmao. Complete 6/11 avg stats in state

Does anyone have some insight into what the interview is like here? I will check the 2018-2019 thread as well.

Transmitted 8/9 and received secondary invite Monday

Does anyone know if the pre-secondary screen is holistic? Transmitted May, haven't received a secondary yet, and holding on to just a little bit of hope....

Does anyone know if the pre-secondary screen is holistic? Transmitted May, haven't received a secondary yet, and holding on to just a little bit of hope....
Yes, it is. Their mission statement spells out the type of students they are looking for, not all by-the-numbers. Your essays will play a part in selection for secondaries.

Transmitted 8/9 and received secondary invite Monday

yikes well good to know i probably will not be getting a secondary invite given they're looking at people transmitted August at this point

i know Dell is super hollistic but what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

For those of you who completed a secondary for Dell, did you get a confirmation email saying you successfully submitted? Thanks.

For those of you who completed a secondary for Dell, did you get a confirmation email saying you successfully submitted? Thanks.
I dont believe they do. they don't even send you an interview invite by email. they call you about a date and if you accept, they will send an email confirming you have an interview. So if you finished your secondary, watch out for a phone call and not email.

Reactions: 3 users
I dont believe they do. they don't even send you an interview invite by email. they call you about a date and if you accept, they will send an email confirming you have an interview. So if you finished your secondary, watch out for a phone call and not email.
This makes me so paranoid I'll miss the call. Hopefully they leave a voicemail lol. I am being optimistic.

last year people who submitted in May got Secondaries in August looks like

soooo I guess we're gonna keep holding out hope :(

This thread is way quieter than the other Texas medical school threads lol

Does anyone know what the turn around typically is at Dell for post secondary interviews? I submitted 5/25, and didn’t get the secondary until 8/16 which I completed on 8/19.

Just got a call for a II!

Submitted my secondary: 8/1 (edit)

I also know a friend that got a secondary invite sometimes last week. She submitted her TMDSAS at the start of June.

Last edited:

Submitted my secondary: 9/1

I also know a friend that got a secondary invite sometimes last week. She submitted her TMDSAS at the start of June.
mind sharing stats?

II today after waiting weeks after the secondary! :)

Last edited:

Submitted my secondary: 8/1 (edit)

Did the call come with an accompanying email? I'm kinda paranoid about all of the spammers' calls I reject with a 512 number...

EDIT: Their website says that you'll receive an email, but that doesn't seem to be the case on this board.

Last edited:
Did the call come with an accompanying email? I'm kinda paranoid about all of the spammers' calls I reject with a 512 number...

EDIT: Their website says that you'll receive an email, but that doesn't seem to be the case on this board.

If you miss their call (like I did), you should receive a voicemail that makes it clear that it's Dell Medical School trying to contact you. I received the email with more information after scheduling my interview with them to confirm everything. Best of luck!

yikes well good to know i probably will not be getting a secondary invite given they're looking at people transmitted August at this point

i know Dell is super hollistic but what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?
I submitted May 28th and got a secondary 9/5

ii 09/13/2019. Missed the call and they left a voicemail. I called back about an hour later and scheduled my interview. She only initially gave me one date and I did not ask any questions lol. It's scheduled for 09/24. Received a confirmation email a few minutes later and was told a more detailed email would be sent closer to the interview.

For those who may ask:
Texas resident. MCAT: 511. GPA: 4.00. LizzyM: 71. Transmitted: 05/21. Last LOR Submitted: 06/19. Unfortunately, I don't remember when exactly I submitted the video secondary, but I believe it was around the last week of June.

Based on MSAR, it looks like the interview is 1 traditional, 5 MMI stations, and 1 team problem-solving exercise (or something like that). Can anyone who already interviewed give some feedback? Is this correct, and was it as stressful and intense as it sounds? All my other interviews have been very relaxed, traditional, conversational interviews, so I'm a little nervous about this one. Also nervous because my MCAT is below average for Dell

ii 09/13/2019. Missed the call and they left a voicemail. I called back about an hour later and scheduled my interview. She only initially gave me one date and I did not ask any questions lol. It's scheduled for 09/24. Received a confirmation email a few minutes later and was told a more detailed email would be sent closer to the interview.

For those who may ask:
Texas resident. MCAT: 511. GPA: 4.00. LizzyM: 71. Transmitted: 05/21. Last LOR Submitted: 06/19. Unfortunately, I don't remember when exactly I submitted the video secondary, but I believe it was around the last week of June.

Based on MSAR, it looks like the interview is 1 traditional, 5 MMI stations, and 1 team problem-solving exercise (or something like that). Can anyone who already interviewed give some feedback? Is this correct, and was it as stressful and intense as it sounds? All my other interviews have been very relaxed, traditional, conversational interviews, so I'm a little nervous about this one. Also nervous because my MCAT is below average for Dell
1 traditional, 5 MMI stations, and 1 team problem-solving exercise - this is what you need to participate in outside of presentations and tour.

what do you feel stressful about it?

I have a question about TMDSAS ranking/pre-match. I LOVED Dell but I know due to their small class size they don't usually pre-match much (if at all?) and hardly even do the official match in February, from what I understand. Should I still rank them high for the chance to pre-match? Or should I rank another school that I know is pre-match heavy higher up than them? I love Dell and would love to go there but I also would like a chance to pre-match somewhere (anywhere lol) so I can sleep easier at night. I'm not sure what the usual strategy is to go about it?