You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2025-2026 UT Tyler
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey y'all,
I was also told prematch would be yesterday haha but my interview was in October, seems like things changed.
I really would like to go to the second look day but I am having surgery the day before so I won't be able to make it. Will that hurt my chances of getting accepted?
I was also told prematch would be yesterday haha but my interview was in October, seems like things changed.
I really would like to go to the second look day but I am having surgery the day before so I won't be able to make it. Will that hurt my chances of getting accepted?
no, the visit is for your benefit to see the place. and they will have made their decisions already about who gets the offers.Hey y'all,
I was also told prematch would be yesterday haha but my interview was in October, seems like things changed.
I really would like to go to the second look day but I am having surgery the day before so I won't be able to make it. Will that hurt my chances of getting accepted?![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
povimaflower
New Member
For those of you who weren’t able to come to the second look today they said the second round of prematches are going to come out next thursday!
thank you so much for updating us!For those of you who weren’t able to come to the second look today they said the second round of prematches are going to come out next thursday!
Worriedpremed12345
Full Member
Is pre match today or tommorow
Should be today per their website, but it has been changed several times so I guess we will see.Is pre match today or tommorow
reneeissocute2233
New Member
Has anyone heard anything yet?
povimaflower
New Member
In the second look they said it would be in the afternoon so should be starting about now
Worriedpremed12345
Full Member
this wait is draggginggg hahahah
futurepediatrician:)
New Member
I’m glad it’s not just me 😭😭this wait is draggginggg hahahah
themddream
Full Member
Are you from the Tyler area?I received a pre-match call not too long ago. I want to keep details private, but want everyone to be on the lookout for 430 area code.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
they said they wanted to keep details privateAre you from the Tyler area?

Congrats, future Doctor!I received a pre-match call not too long ago. I want to keep details private, but want everyone to be on the lookout for 430 area code.

Worriedpremed12345
Full Member
Congrats! Didn’t they say though in the second look day to be on the lookout for area code 903?
Worriedpremed12345
Full Member
I guess they changed the number they are calling from!
both area codes are in use in this area of TexasCongrats! Didn’t they say though in the second look day to be on the lookout for area code 903?
futurepediatrician:)
New Member
They are moving to the new campus which has all different phone numbers 🙂I guess they changed the number they are calling from!
futurepediatrician:)
New Member
Congratulations!! Do you mind sharing about how long y’all were on the phone?I received a pre-match call not too long ago. I want to keep details private, but want everyone to be on the lookout for 430 area code.
reneeissocute2233
New Member
I wonder if they’ve finished sending out calls?
kingyordan44
Full Member
On my interview day they mentioned it could take a while to get through them, so I wouldn’t be surprised if some more go out.I wonder if they’ve finished sending out calls?
I don't remember what they said at second look, but it was 100% a 430 area code.Congrats! Didn’t they say though in the second look day to be on the lookout for area code 903?
themddream
Full Member
Well that was a disappointing prematch day to say the least. Congrats to everyone that prematched!
themddream
Full Member
I was told the last 3 classes have been prematched from a current student but I also saw someone match on match day last cycle so I’m not really sure what the deal is.We still have two more opportunities! Match and getting off waitlist!
Coming from someone who is a nontraditional applicant. In one of my interviews this season they asked me "what happens if you don't get in this year." You know what I said??
I said, "Then you will see my name again next year." And the year after that. @themddream don't give up!
themddream
Full Member
Thanks, these motivational words are very appreciatedView attachment 414246
Coming from someone who is a nontraditional applicant. In one of my interviews this season they asked me "what happens if you don't get in this year." You know what I said??
I said, "Then you will see my name again next year." And the year after that. @themddream don't give up!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They could offer up all 40 seats in the pre-match phase, and there are certainly some people who also had other Texas interviews who ranked other schools above Tyler.I was told the last 3 classes have been prematched from a current student but I also saw someone match on match day last cycle so I’m not really sure what the deal is.
That's how some people end up with Tyler on Match Day 😉
All 40 seats are prematched, but many things change Match Day, so DO NOT lose hope!
Anecdotally, in our class, only about 1/4-1/3 were prematched and everyone else matched on Match Day, or got off the waitlist!
*raises hand* I forgot to mention that I DIDN'T PREMATCH btdubs!
Anecdotally, in our class, only about 1/4-1/3 were prematched and everyone else matched on Match Day, or got off the waitlist!
*raises hand* I forgot to mention that I DIDN'T PREMATCH btdubs!
Last edited:
superduperman7
Full Member
so excited to match here today, I was wondering if there was a group chat for matched students to talk, also I may be mistaken but is there another website that tracks the number of applicant and matches through the cycle, I remember seeing it a while ago but I forgot the name. Everyone please keep you head up if you have not yet matched, from both my cycle and and experiences seeing others get into medical school the process is long and is never over until its over, please remember to put in your rankings in time and best of luck, FUTURE DOCTORS!!!
Congratulations and watch your emails from UT Tyler for these kinds of detailsso excited to match here today, I was wondering if there was a group chat for matched students to talk, also I may be mistaken but is there another website that tracks the number of applicant and matches through the cycle, I remember seeing it a while ago but I forgot the name. Everyone please keep you head up if you have not yet matched, from both my cycle and and experiences seeing others get into medical school the process is long and is never over until its over, please remember to put in your rankings in time and best of luck, FUTURE DOCTORS!!!
jellybeanlover252
New Member
+1A, got a call around 3pm today with the whole admissions team on the call. VERY SWEET <3
superduperman7
Full Member
admit.org is the website were current application cycle is being tracked by participating members, very insightful in addition to sdnso excited to match here today, I was wondering if there was a group chat for matched students to talk, also I may be mistaken but is there another website that tracks the number of applicant and matches through the cycle, I remember seeing it a while ago but I forgot the name. Everyone please keep you head up if you have not yet matched, from both my cycle and and experiences seeing others get into medical school the process is long and is never over until its over, please remember to put in your rankings in time and best of luck, FUTURE DOCTORS!!!
Yes! After Match, and a little later after, the school will send out an email with an official GroupMe for the class to the join. But I remember it being much later due to the class roster changing as people moved in and out. Last year, after Match, one of our classmates did make an unofficial GroupMe as we tried to reach out to matched classmates on SDN, reddit, etc.Congratulations and watch your emails from UT Tyler for these kinds of details
thank you for sharing this, im hoping so much that I can match here, trying to stay positiveAll 40 seats are prematched, but many things change Match Day, so DO NOT lose hope!
Anecdotally, in our class, only about 1/4-1/3 were prematched and everyone else matched on Match Day, or got off the waitlist!
*raises hand* I forgot to mention that I DIDN'T PREMATCH btdubs!
HorizonWanderer
New Member
Just matched at UT Tyler! No pre-match.
They called around half an hour ago. Best of luck to everyone on this thread!
They called around half an hour ago. Best of luck to everyone on this thread!
Did anyone here get placed on a waitlist?
hondeezy02
New Member
+ WaitlistDid anyone here get placed on a waitlist?
povimaflower
New Member
+ waitlist
does anyone know how many people get placed on WL?
does anyone know how many people get placed on WL?
they won’t tell you and their waitlist is pretty much purgatory unfortunately 🙁+ waitlist
does anyone know how many people get placed on WL?
hondeezy02
New Member
I need more info on why you're saying insta purgatory 😳they won’t tell you and their waitlist is pretty much purgatory unfortunately 🙁
HorizonWanderer
New Member
Hey everyone! For anyone who will be committing here, I'd love to make a group chat and add people as they start trickling off of the waitlist to get in touch, look at housing, lower our anxiety about starting school etc...
Please lmk if you're interested!
Please lmk if you're interested!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UT Tyler will hold a re-applicant workshop. See the poster.
Remember, you can go to it if you are no longer n the active application cycle (you are not on their WL)
Remember, you can go to it if you are no longer n the active application cycle (you are not on their WL)
bigbohtoe
New Member
How were the interviews? What specific questions did they ask?2025-2026 UT Tyler Secondary Essay Prompts: (notice they list WORD count not character count)
1. Our mission is to improve the quality of life and reduce health disparities in our rural East Texas region. Please indicate (select one) your connection to East Texas as outlined in our county map and explain below:
a) I have direct ties to the East Texas region (born, graduated high school, community college, undergraduate, etc.)
b) I have indirect ties to the East Texas Region (family members, in-laws, visited East Texas frequently, attended summer camp in East Texas, etc.)
c) I have ties to a rural region with similar characteristics to the East Texas region (size, demographics, health disparities, etc.)
d) I do not have ties to the East Texas region; however, I’m interested in practicing in this area after graduation.
e) I do not have ties to the East Texas region but am still interested in attending the UT Tyler School of Medicine.
Explain. (250 words)
2. Are you a reapplicant? Yes/No
3. Are you a reapplicant to UT Tyler SOM? Yes/No
What have you done between the last application cycle to make your application stronger? (no limit)
4. Mission Statement: The University of Texas at Tyler School of Medicine was founded to address the shortage of physicians and lack of access to healthcare in East Texas, with the singular goal of improving the quality of life and health in our region.
The mission of the UT Tyler SOM is fourfold:
Community: Embed the School of Medicine within East Texas, focusing on communication, responsiveness, inclusion, and community. The School of Medicine in East Texas, and everything we do will be in partnership with our communities.
Education: Recruit, support and develop a representative healthcare and research workforce from East Texas, focused on reducing health disparities in East Texas.
Research: Develop an array of biomedical, clinical, preventive, translational and population-based research programs focused on understanding and eliminating health disparities in East Texas.
Clinical: Expand access to top-quality healthcare in the local communities of East Texas by developing and implementing innovative healthcare systems and leveraging existing infrastructure and programs.
(after reading the 4 mission points)
Why are you interested in applying to UT Tyler’s SOM? (500 words)
5. Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Please include how you got through the experience and what you learned about yourself as a result. Examples may include: moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity; or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. (500 words)
6. Optional question (highly recommend): Please use this space to share with the committee any additional information that may help us evaluate your candidacy that is not addressed elsewhere in the application. (500 words)
7. Did you participate in a UT Tyler SOM Pathway Program? Yes/No
Good luck to all applying!
Interview Feedback:
![]()
University of Texas at Tyler School of Medicine Admissions, Tuition & Student Feedback | SDN
Admissions data, tuition, degrees, location, interview feedback, essay prompts, and SDN forum links for UTTSOM on SDN Schools Database.www.studentdoctor.net
How were the interviews? What specific questions did they ask?
University of Texas at Tyler School of Medicine Summary Responses | Student Doctor Network
Browse all responses of University of Texas at Tyler School of Medicine on SDN Schools Database.
In-person MMI so specific questions aren’t ever disclosed. 🙂
toastythekitten
New Member
+1 A off the waitlist. got the call from the admissions office around 1pm on 5/4! I’m sure there will be more movement in the coming days as well
InThePines93
Full Member
I'm applying this cycle and hoping to hear success stories from applicants who submitted later in the last cycle. I have a July MCAT date and won't be complete until the beginning of September. Very strong ties to the region, non-trad, good mission fit, etc. so I think I'll be okay otherwise, I'm just worried about securing an interview date 😅