2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Deferred as well. Interviewed 1/16. Seems like the class is already full? That sucks

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile

Is this a for sure thing? The email says that we’re offered a seat next year. Like is it a for sure thing? What if I count on this then they don’t admit me next year? I want to cry out of frustration ugh.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a for sure thing? The email says that we’re offered a seat next year. Like is it a for sure thing? What if I count on this then they don’t admit me next year? I want to cry out of frustration ugh.

Read the email very carefully. If you got that email, you got a seat for next year. Don’t cry! YOU’RE GOING TO BE A DOCTOR TAKE THE WIN

Reactions: 2 users
Read the email very carefully. If you got that email, you got a seat for next year. Don’t cry! YOU’RE GOING TO BE A DOCTOR TAKE THE WIN
Plus a full year to do whatever the heck you want to without the pressure of “resume building!” Guaranteed to be a doctor + a stress free year! Keep your head up!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those with the “deferred email” do you mind sharing what it said exactly? I find it hard to believe Western is “full” as there is still so much time for student to choose other schools.

I guess my issue was that I’ve never come across such a result. I just don’t know if I can believe that they would admit me/us for next year. And the idea of waiting until August to secure the spot stresses me out (It’s gonna be quite late to start reapplying by that time).

maybe it’s gonna take a hot second for me to be okay with this. I will contact the school tomorrow and report back to you guys.

Reactions: 1 user
1/16 interviewee and got deferred as well. Seems like the class is full and we could potentially be offered an acceptance this year if someone withdraws there’s. Otherwise it feels like a “high priority” waitlist

I guess my issue was that I’ve never come across such a result. I just don’t know if I can believe that they would admit me/us for next year. And the idea of waiting until August to secure the spot stresses me out (It’s gonna be quite late to start reapplying by that time).

maybe it’s gonna take a hot second for me to be okay with this. I will contact the school tomorrow and report back to you guys.
Yes, please let us know what they say. I interviewed there on 1/30 and at the time, the dean said there were still well over 65 seats that needed to be filled.

Reactions: 1 users
Deffered acceptance is an acceptance and I for one am ECSTATIC. I can work for another year to save money for medical school without having to reapply or worry and take out fewer loans in the future ((((((:)

Reactions: 4 users
To those with a deferred decision. You all did well in the interview and if the interview would have come earlier in the cycle, you would have had an outright acceptance. You have a guaranteed spot the following year if you choose to accept it. And of course there still is a chance of getting in this year depending on how many students decide to withdraw their acceptance.

Obviously for those with other acceptances that would have preferred WesternU, this is probably not what you hoped for, but for others like sfdoctor96, it works.

This of course also explains why we interviewers have not been asked to call interviewees anymore, since outright acceptances are currently not granted.

To those with a deferred decision. You all did well in the interview and if the interview would have come earlier in the cycle, you would have had an outright acceptance. You have a guaranteed spot the following year if you choose to accept it. And of course there still is a chance of getting in this year depending on how many students decide to withdraw their acceptance.

Obviously for those with other acceptances that would have preferred WesternU, this is probably not what you hoped for, but for others like sfdoctor96, it works.

This of course also explains why we interviewers have not been asked to call interviewees anymore, since outright acceptances are currently not granted.

I’m sorry to hear Western is already so full. It has been a dream of mine to attend this school. Do you know if there will be deferred acceptances offered to those who interviewed on 1/30 as well?

I’m sorry to hear Western is already so full. It has been a dream of mine to attend this school. Do you know if there will be deferred acceptances offered to those who interviewed on 1/30 as well?
I am sure of it. There are plenty of excellent candidates that interviewed in January including on the 30th.

Does anyone have any housing recommendations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any housing recommendations?
Daumier, 777, helix are all the super close options albeit pretty expensive for what you get. A lot of students live in Claremont, Ontario, montclair, chino, chino hills, other surrounding cities. There should be a housing page for those looking for roommates, prob be active til closer to May/June.

The dean at nearly every other school: Hmm, I've got more good applicants that I know what to do with. I've already got a full class and a fat wait list. These late interviewees are pretty good, but they were late in their apps. Oh well, I'll just give a few more seats in this year's class and just dump everyone else on the wait list in the meantime. Everyone knows to apply early. Tough luck.

The dean at WesternU: Man, I've got so many good candidates that I don't know what to do. I've already got a full class and long wait list. These late interviewees were a little late in their apps, but they're just too good to pass up. Holy crap, I'll just borrow a few seats from next year's class so I get as many of these awesome candidates I can. Hopefully they don't dump me in the meantime.

For those with deferred admissions, I think you should see it like this :nod:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
The dean at nearly every other school: Hmm, I've got more good applicants that I know what to do with. I've already got a full class and a fat wait list. These late interviewees are pretty good, but they were late in their apps. Oh well, I'll just give a few more seats in this year's class and just dump everyone else on the wait list in the meantime. Everyone knows to apply early. Tough luck.

The dean at WesternU: Man, I've got so many good candidates that I don't know what to do. I've already got a full class and long wait list. These late interviewees were a little late in their apps, but they're just too good to pass up. Holy crap, I'll just borrow a few seats from next year's class so I get as many of these awesome candidates I can. Hopefully they don't dump me in the meantime.

For those with deferred admissions, I think you should see it like this :nod:
LOL probably the exact logic they had. Sad part is I applied early .

• Haha
I am sure of it. There are plenty of excellent candidates that interviewed in January including on the 30th.

would it be safe to say that if you didn’t get a deferred email that it’s a rejection at this point?

would it be safe to say that if you didn’t get a deferred email that it’s a rejection at this point?
I can’t say that for sure. If you interviewed on Jan 9 or 16 with others getting their deferral already, probability is high. For the 30th, I don’t think anything is decided yet.

From personal experience, I feel there always is a specific trajectory for the quality of candidates. It starts of very strong, and then slowly dips. Sometime in January though there is a blip of excellent candidates.
I had three candidates I interviewed on January 16 that I liked better than any candidates I interviewed all year. Sad to see that they will likely have received a deferral, because I would have loved to give them the call with the good news and they certainly deserved it.

From personal experience, I feel there always is a specific trajectory for the quality of candidates. It starts of very strong, and then slowly dips. Sometime in January though there is a blip of excellent candidates.
I had three candidates I interviewed on January 16 that I liked better than any candidates I interviewed all year. Sad to see that they will likely have received a deferral, because I would have loved to give them the call with the good news and they certainly deserved it.

Do you know what the difference between those who received 'deferred acceptance' and those who received 'alternate spot' for this year is? I also interviewed recently and received an alternate spot offer, which I assume is a waitlist. Do 'deferred acceptance' applicants get priority over 'alternates' on the waitlist this year? Also- any idea what proportion of alternates get in each year on average?

Do you know what the difference between those who received 'deferred acceptance' and those who received 'alternate spot' for this year is? I also interviewed recently and received an alternate spot offer, which I assume is a waitlist. Do 'deferred acceptance' applicants get priority over 'alternates' on the waitlist this year? Also- any idea what proportion of alternates get in each year on average?
The deferral message says that if spots are to open, the deffered acceptances will be the first to be considered.

The deferral message says that if spots are to open, the deffered acceptances will be the first to be considered.

The waitlist has multiple tiers. I believe the deferred ones are in the highest tier. How deep we get into the waitlist differs greatly from year to year. I know that last year we went VERY deep.
That was one reason why we had more interviews early this year and why the class was already nearly full be January. So with these changes it is hard to predict how it will go. If I would have to put a number on it based on the past years, I would say you have at least a 50:50 chance.

I'm scheduled to interview later this month. Will this interview be cancelled? Is there even a chance at this point?

Purple.
Interviews will definitely not be canceled. Of course there is a point. If you do well, be prepared to get a deferred acceptance at first with a good chance to make it into the class this year. There might be some outright acceptance spots left, too. Not sure though. I think someone posted that on Feb 15 is the next deposit due date. That will probably open up spots of those not following through on deposit.

Often we go very deep into the waitlists.

Did anyone who interviewed on 1/9 get a deferred acceptance by any chance?

How late will Western be offering interviews? I got the "your app is still under review" email in December and haven't heard anything since.

is anyone else having trouble confirming their westernU email to join the FB page? I didn’t receive an email to confirm (not the class of 2024 the main one)

is anyone else having trouble confirming their westernU email to join the FB page? I didn’t receive an email to confirm (not the class of 2024 the main one)
I never got one either. Didn’t really bother trying to figure it out after that though, so if you figure out what to do let us know

The 2020 and beyond entering classes will now have a pass or fail USMLE Step 1 exam. How does this impact DO students at a school like Western?

Reactions: 6 users
I’d assume they take into account the overall rank of the school because how else can you compare people? Especially since most of the top 25s use pass fail for class.

I’d assume they take into account the overall rank of the school because how else can you compare people? Especially since most of the top 25s use pass fail for class.

Step 2 CK will still be numbered

True. But I heard from my mentor, a professor in radiation oncology at the UWSOM that the step 1 is the key determinant.
Yes, but that was before it was p/f. People are speculating the emphasis could change to step 2 to stratify applicants for residency after the changes. To be fair nobody knows yet how things will work, but hopefully it gets figured out by the time we're applying

How late will Western be offering interviews? I got the "your app is still under review" email in December and haven't heard anything since.
I'm also curious about this. From what everyone here is saying though it sounds as if the class is already full. :(

I'm also curious about this. From what everyone here is saying though it sounds as if the class is already full. :(
Apparently the last interview is in March but I’m only going by what ICanHelpYou mentioned earlier in the thread

the last date is march 7th, but when i emailed admissions they told me if they wanted to open up later dates to interview more candidates, they would.

The 2020 and beyond entering classes will now have a pass or fail USMLE Step 1 exam. How does this impact DO students at a school like Western?
I am curious to see whether residency programs will look at COMLEX as a secondary metric in addition to passing the USMLE (for students taking COMLEX+USMLE, which is a lot of us lol). Since the COMLEX is still scored and has been shown to have a strong correlation with USMLE percentiles, I can see a p/f USMLE with a good COMLEX score being a potential benefit to DOs compared to lower tier MD students who just take the USMLE.

• Okay...
Is it too late for any more interviews being sent out? This really sucks...

I am curious to see whether residency programs will look at COMLEX as a secondary metric in addition to passing the USMLE (for students taking COMLEX+USMLE, which is a lot of us lol). Since the COMLEX is still scored and has been shown to have a strong correlation with USMLE percentiles, I can see a p/f USMLE with a good COMLEX score being a potential benefit to DOs compared to lower tier MD students who just take the USMLE.
Nobody takes COMLEX seriously, and it is viewed as a less competent exam compared to Step 1. Getting a high score in COMLEX will not mean a thing to MD residencies, maybe a little to ex-AOA programs.

Does anyone know when 1/30 interview group will most likely hear back?

Does anyone know when 1/30 interview group will most likely hear back?
I think we were told the 10th/11th the day of the int. But since it seems no one has heard back it might be pushed to next week. Also, reading through the thread it seems that the class might have filled up, which is weird considering how our interview cohort was told there were seats available

I think the next deposit is due the 15th so hopefully next week? Would we be offered acceptances if spots open up or would they go to 1/9 and 1/16 first?

I would imagine that those who got the first deferred acceptances would be first in line for spots that open up...that just seems the most fair

I would imagine that those who got the first deferred acceptances would be first in line for spots that open up...that just seems the most fair
Yeah, makes sense. I wish I had picked 1/16 instead of 1/30 :arghh:

Is there some kind of second look for accepted students?