2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Secondary prompt:
1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (500 Words)

2. What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you? (500 Words)

3. What is your specific interest in osteopathic medicine program at COMP Pomona Campus? (500 Words)

4. Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school. (500 Words)

5. Is there anything in you application that you would like to explain to the admissions committee?

Last edited:
PSA, there's a new MSAR-akin tool for DO schools now that's free to use. Figured I should share! Good luck everyone this cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone received a secondary yet? I have from most all schools I applied to but these ones.

Can you elaborate please? I still can't find MCAT or gpa averages
What I've been doing is searching for a particular school in the search bar. And then if you scroll down on the left side, where there are filters (such as mean GPA, mean MCAT, etc.) you can see the range of MCAT and GPAs.

For example, if you search ATSU, you can see on the left side that the scroll bar for mean MCAT is between 503 and 504.

Hope that helps lol.

What I've been doing is searching for a particular school in the search bar. And then if you scroll down on the left side, where there are filters (such as mean GPA, mean MCAT, etc.) you can see the range of MCAT and GPAs.

For example, if you search ATSU, you can see on the left side that the scroll bar for mean MCAT is between 503 and 504.

Hope that helps lol.

Are we even sure if this thing is giving us accurate & up-to-date stats for these schools?

Secondary received at 7:32 AM PST! Check your other folders! Mine showed up under "Promotions" in Gmail...

@PapaGuava

Same questions as last year.

1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (500 Words)

2. What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you? (500 Words)

3. What is your specific interest in osteopathic medicine program at COMP Pomona Campus? (500 Words)

4. Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school. (500 Words)

5. Is there anything in you application that you would like to explain to the admissions committee?

Good luck, y'all!!

Secondary received at 7:32 AM PST! Check your other folders! Mine showed up under "Promotions" in Gmail...
Same. If I didn't randomly check for funny spam mail I would have missed it...

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone still waiting on a secondary?

Reactions: 2 users
@PapaGuava

Is there a thread for the Western U Lebanon campus (couldn't find.). Secondary received for that school (also in the spam inbox!!).

@PapaGuava

Is there a thread for the Western U Lebanon campus (couldn't find.). Secondary received for that school (also in the spam inbox!!).

I added their email to my contacts so this one actually came to my primary. Good catch though!

Reactions: 2 users
do they screen for secondaries? haven't received.. even checked other folders

Do you know what their cutoff is? My stats are 507 (127 128 124 128), 3.52 cGPA and 3.33 sGPA. I am afraid that my mcat BB score might be below their threshold. I was literally the only school I pre-wrote SMH.

Last edited:
Do you know what their cutoff is? My stats are 507 (127 128 124 128), 3.52 cGPA and 3.33 sGPA. I am afraid that my mcat BB score might be below their threshold. I was literally the only school I pre-wrote SMH.
Not really sure what their screen is. My MCAT is slightly higher but GPAs significantly lower and I already received/submitted my secondary.

Was your CASPer test already completed?

I feel like western is all up on their high horse for making us write over 2000 words for their secondary.. Anyone else barely hitting 400 on each prompt?

I feel like western is all up on their high horse for making us write over 2000 words for their secondary.. Anyone else barely hitting 400 on each prompt?

Definitely a killer and I feel like I’m writing fluff.

I was accepted here last cycle, you don’t need to hit the word limit, it is a limit. Write what you feel you need to include, don’t fluff too much. No one wants to read fluff

I was accepted here last cycle, you don’t need to hit the word limit, it is a limit. Write what you feel you need to include, don’t fluff too much. No one wants to read fluff
Were you OOS?

Any chance I could ask you to take a look at mine?

How many words did you write?

Can we use the same answer responses for WesternU Pomona AND WesternU Lebanon?

Can we use the same answer responses for WesternU Pomona AND WesternU Lebanon?
For the questions that are the same I don't see why not, they're two different admissions committees

What if you only shadowed an MD and not DO?
It is fine. People have gotten in by shadowing only MD. I did MD only but highlighted the usefulness of osteopathy in the cases I saw.

Not really sure what their screen is. My MCAT is slightly higher but GPAs significantly lower and I already received/submitted my secondary.

How many days did it for you receive a secondary from the moment you were verified for Western Pomona?

How many days did it for you receive a secondary from the moment you were verified for Western Pomona?
Verified by AACOMAS on June 6th. Secondary from Pomona on July 2nd, Lebanon campus the day after. Never got e-mails stating that my primary app was under review before secondaries were sent to me (unlike ICOM).

Does anyone know if our app will be reviewed without CASPer score? I am taking the test next week but I am done with the secondary app part of it

Reactions: 1 users