2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, does anyone know if you signed up for the pizza mixer thing and can’t attend if it will hurt your chances? Do they ask during interviews or is a completely separate thing?
It will NOT hurt your chances. The pizza mixer is for you to get to know the school in a casual setting and be able to ask current students about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it safe to assume that the dean has not been available and that we will not hear back anytime soon? Most of us are refreshing our portals every 10 minutes...
I think we wait till this Friday and if anything they’ll let us know next week. Another group is interviewing tomorrow(1/30) so hopefully they’ll decide for us 1/9 and 1/16 interviewers soon.

does anyone know the last interview date or if interviews are still being offered?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know the last interview date or if interviews are still being offered?

I emailed my admissions counselor asking him the same thing and he said "The committee has the ability to offer interview invites up until April. You can technically hear back any time from now until then. There is no guarantee that they will open any specific interview days, but they do have the option to do so. "

I kind of had a hard time understanding what he was trying to say.

I emailed my admissions counselor asking him the same thing and he said "The committee has the ability to offer interview invites up until April. You can technically hear back any time from now until then. There is no guarantee that they will open any specific interview days, but they do have the option to do so. "

yeah, it sounds a little vague. thank you for sharing!

Currently remaining interview dates are:
01/30, 02/27, 03/05.

I believe 03/05 is reserved for linkage students. They canceled several February interview dates.This means the class is filling up fast this year.

This means that the class is filling up fast but for exceptional candidates that applied late IIs might still go out.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently remaining interview dates are:
01/30, 02/27, 03/05.

I believe 03/05 is reserved for linkage students. They canceled several February interview dates.This means the class is filling up fast this year.

If you don’t mind me asking, How were you able to check the remaining interview dates?

You bet. I know some of you 1/9 interviewees are desperately waiting for a decision. I talked to one of the admissions committee members today and he informed me that decisions have been forwarded to the dean last week. Not sure what the hold up is but it might be related to the class filling fast.

1/16 candidates are to be discussed tomorrow, so those decisions are not to be expected before end of next week.

You bet. I know some of you 1/9 interviewees are desperately waiting for a decision. I talked to one of the admissions committee members today and he informed me that decisions have been forwarded to the dean last week. Not sure what the hold up is but it might be related to the class filling fast.

1/16 candidates are to be discussed tomorrow, so those decisions are not to be expected before end of next week.

so it’s not likely a 1/16 interviewee could a get decision this Friday?

Last edited:
so it’s not likely a 1/16 interviewee could a decision this Friday?
Very unlikely since after the admissions committee meeting, decisions are forwarded to dean and she usually looks and approves decision on mondays.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you so much for all of the information :)

Very unlikely since after the admissions committee meeting, decisions are forwarded to dean and she usually looks and approves decision on mondays.
1. User name checked out.
2. You are literally made my life so much easier right now. This waiting game is not the best for the heart and the mind. Thank you for the information.

Would you anticipate 1/9 interviewees hearing back today? Sorry for asking but my deposits for other schools are coming due soon. Western is my top choice, I don’t want to waste my limited economic resources on schools I will not be attending.

Would you anticipate 1/9 interviewees hearing back today? Sorry for asking but my deposits for other schools are coming due soon. Western is my top choice, I don’t want to waste my limited economic resources on schools I will not be attending.
They are waiting to hear back from the dean. While it is not impossible that something might come today, it seems rather unlikely. I would advise you not to miss the deposit deadline for your alternative school(s).

• Sad
They are waiting to hear back from the dean. While it is not impossible that something might come today, it seems rather unlikely. I would advise you not to miss the deposit deadline for your alternative school(s).
As it is medical school is an extremely expensive process. I really can’t afford to waste funds on a few schools that I do not wish to attend. I guess I’m going to roll the dice and hope decisions aren released this week for us (so I don’t have to pay deposits). After the interview I had anticipated our decisions to be real eased last week Monday :/

As it is medical school is an extremely expensive process. I really can’t afford to waste funds on a few schools that I do not wish to attend. I guess I’m going to roll the dice and hope decisions aren released this week for us (so I don’t have to pay deposits). After the interview I had anticipated our decisions to be real eased last week Monday :/
I understand your frustration. You could try to get advice from people and narrow down the options for schools you have right now to your one school you would like to go in case you don’t into western (worst case scenario). That’s just my thought process to avoid making numerous deposits. I know it’s expensive and a tough decision, but it’s a decision you’ll have to make eventually so may as well do it now. I think you could save yourself some money by just narrowing it down to one school and then if you get into Western cool, if not then at least you’re going to school somewhere.

Did you ask the school if they can give you an extension on the deposit? hopefully they can be flexible for you :)

Did you ask the school if they can give you an extension on the deposit? hopefully they can be flexible for you :)
Just got off the phone with one of the schools. Apparently they’re not very flexible in that regard. It’s unfortunate but I’m going to wait out the day and hopefully get some good news back from western today.

• Sad
Just got off the phone with one of the schools. Apparently they’re not very flexible in that regard. It’s unfortunate but I’m going to wait out the day and hopefully get some good news back from western today.

I'm sure you've thought of this before, but maybe place a single deposit down for the school you'd most likely attend from the acceptances you've received? Sounds like you were going to place a deposit down for all of them, which would definitely be very financially stressful and IMO unreasonable

It’s not worth the risk of losing your spot at a medical school for a maybe spot at western. There is no guarantee you will get into western. If you reapply, there is no guarantee you will get more or less acceptance you currently hold. Reapplying costs thousands. Med school costs hundreds of thousands. It sucks if you lose a deposit but it’s not the end of the world. Pay your deposit and secure your spot and hope you hear back from western.

Reactions: 2 users
II at 8:34 pm today. OOS, secondary complete sometime in 08/19.

Only date available for me was Feb 27.

from the previous posts, today should be the day they decide the fates of 1/16 interviewees. Best of luck to everyone!

from the previous posts, today should be the day they decide the fates of 1/16 interviewees. Best of luck to everyone!
As a 1/9 interviewee I can say with confidence, you should NOT get your hopes up lol. Still no news on my end and after calling admissions was basically told they will review my application whenever they get to it, no timeline was given to me. So much for “2 weeks”.

• Sad
1/9 here, we were told 2 weeks. Understandably “crap” happens and things can take longer, but we are entering week 4 for us. I would not get my hopes up if I were you.

1/9 here, we were told 2 weeks. Understandably “crap” happens and things can take longer, but we are entering week 4 for us. I would not get my hopes up if I were you.

someone above from 1/9 said they got an answer already. Unsure how to interpret his or her sarcastic “they must have known what to do with my file the moment they saw it”, but I guess no news is still good news at this point? Though I’d rather receive an R than wait another month then receive an R :((

someone above from 1/9 said they got an answer already. Unsure how to interpret his or her sarcastic “they must have known what to do with my file the moment they saw it”, but I guess no news is still good news at this point? Though I’d rather receive an R than wait another month then receive an R :((
If it makes you feel any better, I am still waiting for an II from this school :)

Reactions: 6 users
Sorry that decisions are taking time now. Up through December, the decisions were typically send out within 1-2 weeks. Like I said, the class might be close to full and the decisions now have to be made slowly and carefully, hence the longer time frame. I know that the admissions committee got to them promptly.

Sorry that decisions are taking time now. Up through December, the decisions were typically send out within 1-2 weeks. Like I said, the class might be close to full and the decisions now have to be made slowly and carefully, hence the longer time frame. I know that the admissions committee got to them promptly.

Is it possible to receive an interview invitation at this point or are the chances slim now? Thank you for commenting on the forum by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Is it possible to receive an interview invitation at this point or are the chances slim now? Thank you for commenting on the forum by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
You see how careful they are being with giving out acceptances for the January interviewees? Now imaging what they will be like for the March folks.

There is always a chance that additional interview dates open up, depending on the number of students that are withdrawing their acceptance.

But certainly, the chances are slimmer now.

There is always a chance that additional interview dates open up, depending on the number of students that are withdrawing their acceptance.

Is there a chance that both 1/9 interviewees and 1/16 interviewees can hear by this Friday?

Is there such a thing as “traffic day” in the DO world? I am just sitting on a lot of waitlist statuses and it’s the biggest tease ever.

thank you for taking the time to answer us. It really makes a difference knowing that there’s a delay (and there’s a reason for it).

Is there such a thing as “traffic day” in the DO world? I am just sitting on a lot of waitlist statuses and it’s the biggest tease ever.

thank you for taking the time to answer us. It really makes a difference knowing that there’s a delay (and there’s a reason for it).

I don’t think the delays are related. The admissions officer had assured us we would hear back within two weeks, I think Western is having administrative issues which is understandable. 2 weeks ago I was told the decisions were presented to the dean but she was out of town. Hopefully everything is okay. I have MD admission in another state but Western is by far first my choice. So here is to hoping that I’ll hear back soon.

Does Pomona hold a second look day?

Anyone hear any news yet? I’ve been pretty anxious about hearing a decision.

Does anyone know when the next deposit is due for accepted students so that admissions would have a better idea of how many more interviews to send out? Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know when the next deposit is due for accepted students so that admissions would have a better idea of how many more interviews to send out? Thanks in advance!
2/15

Anyone heard back? The group that interviewed 1/30 was told that we would hear by 2/10 or 2/11. But it seems it might be later than this-as others have not heard from earlier interviews?

Anyone heard back? The group that interviewed 1/30 was told that we would hear by 2/10 or 2/11. But it seems it might be later than this-as others have not heard from earlier interviews?

1/9 And 1/16 groups have not heard back yet, it is the end of the cycle (less spots, more selective), I wouldn’t count on hearing back by 2/10.

1/16. Got the email. deferred admission.... I’m still confused after reading the email. I’m assuming I’m on a waitlist :((((

Deferred as well. Interviewed 1/16. Seems like the class is already full? That sucks

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile