You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Central Florida
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi @REL! As long as you're here, do you have a WL update?Thanks for keeping discussions on solid ground. Sorry I wasnt on the site earlier. As noted above you will have a list of things that you can purchase, some needed, some recommended. There will be a bit of a grace period before you have to have it and I think I also remember that one of the student org's also can offer you a deal on the majority of the equipment. This is the last I know, and being remote for a year + had me away from all the details. NGGYU probably has the best info for now.
Now that it's been a few weeks since your PTE deadline, do you have a sense as to whether WL movement is still more than usual (most schools do not seem to be experiencing that), or if it was just pushed up for you since you didn't have a PTE deadline the past two years?
Have you been enforcing your deadline, or so you still have people with outstanding As who have not yet selected PTE or CTE? After all, they are really the only remaining source of WL movement at this point, unless, of course, a PTE receives a more attractive WL offer from another school in the next two weeks.
We are just over two weeks after our PTE deadline and all 120 have selected PTE/CTE. Enforcement was not necessary because I felt like we send some general reminders of the deadline and all seemed to be compliant as the deadline arrived. So those who are PTE would have to receive an offer to create movement which is pretty much normal at this time of year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, and I hope I don't cause you to be sorry for being so transparent, but, if this is the case, why are you so optimistic with 2 weeks to go?We are just over two weeks after our PTE deadline and all 120 have selected PTE/CTE. Enforcement was not necessary because I felt like we send some general reminders of the deadline and all seemed to be compliant as the deadline arrived. So those who are PTE would have to receive an offer to create movement which is pretty much normal at this time of year.
With all due respect, if it's based on your experience the past 2 years, you just might find that you pulled your CTE deadline WL movement forward to your PTE deadline this year, and you might find your CTE deadline passing with a whimper, like it does at most other schools. I really hope I am wrong, for the sake of everyone expecting more movement, but, am I missing anything?
Most schools are in the exact same position as UCF. Where do you expect the movement to come from?
Simply looking at history when there were usually 1-3 seats that changed over. This is the timeperiod were things really do slow down. Will the past repeat itself? We will only know as we turn the future of the next few days into the past.
aspiringdoctor9701
Full Member
But you also said only 2/3 of people have CTEd at this point, which means at least 40 or so people have yet to commit. Is this usual for this date in time for UCF med @REL ?Simply looking at history when there were usually 1-3 seats that changed over. This is the timeperiod were things really do slow down. Will the past repeat itself? We will only know as we turn the future of the next few days into the past.
Yes, not far from the past, it is about 7-8 more than usual. This is likely an after-effect of the mandatory PTE date that we were trying this year for the first time.
Why do you suppose having a mandatory PTE date would cause fewer people to select CTE than not requiring a PTE selection at all before the CTE deadline? Are you sure this is not just an artifact of more schools placing more people on their WLs than in years past, resulting in 7-8 more of your candidates being on WLs they'd prefer over UCF than at this time last cycle?Yes, not far from the past, it is about 7-8 more than usual. This is likely an after-effect of the mandatory PTE date that we were trying this year for the first time.
Either way, with a little more than a week to go, if everyone's classes are full, what is going to cause any of your PTEs to not select CTE by 6/30? Do you think some of them might be holding undisclosed As elsewhere, and might drop UCF at the last minute? If so, what would be the motive to select PTE at UCF in the first place?
Last edited:
This is the first year we have used the PTE. More have CTE as of this date than in the past and I presume that the institution of the PTE date was a factor. I do not know what the next few days will bring, but as previously noted we did have the opportunity to make from 1-3 acceptance offers during this period over the past. Not every school uses PTE and most schools have not CTE yet, so based on the past there are still some chance for a change. We should be able to answer this question by COB on Friday.Why do you suppose having a mandatory PTE date would cause fewer people to select CTE than not requiring a PTE selection at all before the CTE deadline? Are you sure this is not just an artifact of more schools placing more people on their WLs than in years past, resulting in 7-8 more of your candidates being on WLs they'd prefer over UCF than at this time last cycle?
Either way, with a little more than a week to go, if everyone's classes are full, what is going to cause any of your PTEs to not select CTE by 6/30? Do you think some of them might be holding undisclosed As elsewhere, and might drop UCF at the last minute? If so, what would be the motive to select PTE at UCF in the first place?
Last edited:
Status as of today 28 have not CTE, 16 FL, 12 non-FL. CTE DL is Friday.
Status as of today 27 have not CTE, 16 FL, 11 non-FL. CTE DL is Friday.
Text added@REL -- whatever you posted in post #1023 did not come through!! 🙂
CTE Update: 23 not CTE, 10 are Non-FL
How are you in two places at once?? 😎CTE Update: 23 not CTE, 10 are Non-FL
As usual, UCF has the most transparent operation at the Virtual Fair!! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
aspiringdoctor9701
Full Member
Wow does that mean 25% of the non-FL seats are still open/not committed to yet @REL ?CTE Update: 23 not CTE, 10 are Non-FL
It means they are PTE, per what @REL posted on 6/16. That's very different from open. We'll know for sure tomorrow afternoon, when they have to select CTE or give up the spot!Wow does that mean 25% of the non-FL seats are still open/not committed to yet @REL ?
I’m assuming these people are just holding out for another WL they are on, but I’m hoping for the best!! Fingers crossed!
All will be revealed tomorrow. I'm sure you're right. But that doesn't mean one or more of them won't pull a rabbit out of a hat by the deadline! 🙂I’m assuming these people are just holding out for another WL they are on, but I’m hoping for the best!! Fingers crossed!
I'm assuming the same. They'll most likely commit in the final hours to save the seat they have, rather than risk it all for a seat they might/might not get later.I’m assuming these people are just holding out for another WL they are on, but I’m hoping for the best!! Fingers crossed!
What I'm wondering is how soon will these seats go to other people on the WL if anyone misses the cutoff time? I would be surprised if they revoke the seat immediately at 4:01pm EST on the dot without calling the student to confirm they didn't make some (colossal) mistake and forget to click 'commit to enroll' by the deadline. Can you imagine going through an entire application cycle and losing your one and only seat at the last minute over such a careless mistake!? 😳
Especially at such an applicant friendly school as UCF! Hopefully @REL will jump in and set us straight, but my money is on the office reaching out to the slackers to make sure they're really not coming before giving away their seats, even though there definitely have been stories regarding other schools unceremoniously dumping people who miss deadlines, sometimes automatically in the middle of the night.I'm assuming the same. They'll most likely commit in the final hours to save the seat they have, rather than risk it all for a seat they might/might not get later.
What I'm wondering is how soon will these seats go to other people on the WL if anyone misses the cutoff time? I would be surprised if they revoke the seat immediately at 4:01pm EST on the dot without calling the student to confirm they didn't make some (colossal) mistake and forget to click 'commit to enroll' by the deadline. Can you imagine going through an entire application cycle and losing your one and only seat at the last minute over such a careless mistake!? 😳
CTE Update: 15 not CTE, 5 non-FL, deadline 3pm.
CTE Update: 1 non-FL has not CTE, we are following-up.
That deadline was sure a motivator!CTE Update: 1 non-FL has not CTE, we are following-up.
Odd I haven’t received mine yet! Looking forward to it. 🤣Officially got the R from the WL, this was my top choice, oh well it wasn't meant to be. Good luck to those of you at UCFCOM!
It will definitely be cathartic to finally know one way or another how things will turn out, that's for sure! I am still holding onto hope. Just because something is unlikely doesn't make it impossible, right?Odd I haven’t received mine yet! Looking forward to it. 🤣

Edit: Got the email today confirming they don't expect further movement. 🥲 I figured that much, but now it's official. This cycle was a wild ride, I wish everyone the best of luck!
Last edited:
Hi @REL! Can you offer an update? I'm sure there are a few very anxious for news! 🙂CTE Update: 1 non-FL has not CTE, we are following-up.
Edit: Never mind-- it looks like @Highland Laddie shared the would-be update.
CTE Update: 119, one non-FL is PTE pending 5 day offer period which ends today.
CTE Update, the non-FL member did CTE today so it would appear that we are done for this cycle barring any unexpected withdrawals or deferrals. We did have the one late WD prior to the CTE deadline this year, so changes can occur in the final days.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a testament to "anything can happen" for the WL, my best friend was called last night informing them they were accepted! They got the official email this morning, and I'm very excited they are going to be attending this great program. Good luck to the rest of you!