2020-2021 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted my primary back at the end of September and have yet to receive a secondary, should I be worried?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone who interviewed 11/18 heard anything back? I know it has only been a week but I am so anxious :(

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I was complete in July and haven’t heard back. Would love to interview here since it’s instate and has ties to the program I eventually want to match to. Anyone else in the same boat? Silent R?

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my secondary back at the beginning of august and received the complete email today

Reactions: 3 users
interviewed 11/18 and just got WL

• Care
hi all, the website says VA campus favors appalachian states so does this mean that itll be harder for Florida residents to get into this campus? im a bit confused as this is the only campus i am applying to
it does mean that your chances are better at a campus closer to FL, unless you have some sort of ties to Virginia/Appalachia; however, one of my interviewers moved there from Florida, as did both of the students on the panel (they were all originally from the area however). I am from Florida, family is from NC and VA; unfortunately, we are competing for the waitlist positions at this point so I can't say if it is affecting the outcome or not. at the end of the day they do look holistically, so demonstrating commitment to primary care, underserved, rural medicine and perhaps the Appalachian region are going to be your strong points for any DO program in the area.

it does mean that your chances are better at a campus closer to FL, unless you have some sort of ties to Virginia/Appalachia; however, one of my interviewers moved there from Florida, as did both of the students on the panel (they were all originally from the area however). I am from Florida, family is from NC and VA; unfortunately, we are competing for the waitlist positions at this point so I can't say if it is affecting the outcome or not. at the end of the day they do look holistically, so demonstrating commitment to primary care, underserved, rural medicine and perhaps the Appalachian region are going to be your strong points for any DO program in the area.
oh man, i was about to send in my application (I am super late) but is there no point now if its just fighting for a spot on the WL?

There are currently 90ish people in the class of 2025 facebook group. I suspect that the class has reached a threshold in terms of number of acceptances they have offered. I think after December 15th (when the first round of deposits are due), there might be more acceptance offers granted unless every single person who has been offered a seat already accepts it. I don't think that's going to be the case, and I do hope that some of you on the WL who really want to go here get good news. Take what I say with a grain of salt, though - it's just my speculation.

In terms of sending an app now, it's really hard to say one way or another how the rest of the cycle will play out and whether it's worthwhile. The one thing I can say is there's no chance unless you apply, and the longer you wait the worse the odds. Best of luck!

oh man, i was about to send in my application (I am super late) but is there no point now if its just fighting for a spot on the WL?
People already accepted have until Dec 14th to pay the deposit or withdraw their application. Some probably have already. They said they are meeting on the 15th to see who else to accept and this will probably continue to happen throughout the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't received a secondary here... Really weird because I am a VT undergrad, have a master's degree, my stats match, and I am an Appalachian Virginia native. Any thoughts???

I haven't received a secondary here... Really weird because I am a VT undergrad, have a master's degree, my stats match, and I am an Appalachian Virginia native. Any thoughts???
When did you submit? Your background sounds a lot like mine, and I received a secondary fairly quick after submitting my primary. You could reach out to admissions, too, for an update on your application. They are pretty responsive.

When did you submit? Your background sounds a lot like mine, and I received a secondary fairly quick after submitting my primary. You could reach out to admissions, too, for an update on your application. They are pretty responsive.
My AACOMAS was verified 9-25. I asked them for an update a couple weeks ago, and they said I was under review... I also realized that VCOM has a guaranteed interview agreement for VT undergrads so I am very confused

My AACOMAS was verified 9-25. I asked them for an update a couple weeks ago, and they said I was under review... I also realized that VCOM has a guaranteed interview agreement for VT undergrads so I am very confused
I’m a Hokie grad and was verified in the summer with no interview yet but I did receive a secondary fairly quickly. I’ve had many friends apply in previous cycles as alum and weren’t given an interview as well. Idk what agreement you mean. I think there is a program for sophomores/juniors if you have like a certain gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a Hokie grad and was verified in the summer with no interview yet but I did receive a secondary fairly quickly. I’ve had many friends apply in previous cycles as alum and weren’t given an interview as well. Idk what agreement you mean. I think there is a program for sophomores/juniors if you have like a certain gpa?
Interesting...
It's at the bottom of the page! check it out

Interesting...
It's at the bottom of the page! check it out
I tried to find the exact requirements through Tech but I couldnt. Some of the other schools listed I was able to find and they require both science and overall gpa of 3.5 to qualify. my sGPA is slightly below that so that must be it. Thanks for the info! Good luck to you

I tried to find the exact requirements through Tech but I couldnt. Some of the other schools listed I was able to find and they require both science and overall gpa of 3.5 to qualify. my sGPA is slightly below that so that must be it. Thanks for the info! Good luck to you
No problem! I also emailed admissions yesterday to ask specifics. I will let you know if they reply. Good luck

Let's hope for good news this week!

Reactions: 3 users
I just had my interview last Thursday (12/10)! Did anyone happen to ask in any interviews around then how the holidays would impact hearing back? They said 2-4 weeks, but I feel like since it is so close to the holiday it might take longer

I would like to also know how Holiday could affect the hearing as well.

Just received complete email, submitted secondary 10/19/2020

Interviewed 11/18.. WL in early Dec, just received my acceptance call!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 11/18.. WL in early Dec, just received my acceptance call!!!!
Congrats!!!! I'm really hoping to hear back before the holiday. It's nice to know that they are still reviewing them this week!

Yeah that’s true. I saw ppl from Carolina heard back yesterday. Anyway Happy Holidays!
Oh wow really? I didn’t see that. Maybe they did stay longer. I haven’t seen anyone hear back for any of the other campuses yet though. Happy holidays to you too!

Hope you guys all have a good New Years! Sending positive vibes and hope that there will be some good news soon!

Interviewed 12/10, just got the waitlist email. They mentioned that a lot of people would get off the waitlist so I’m hoping that’s true

Interviewed 12/10, just got the waitlist email. They mentioned that a lot of people would get off the waitlist so I’m hoping that’s true
a friend of mine who currently goes to vcom was waitlisted but got off pretty easily :) ! good luck!

• Love
a friend of mine who currently goes to vcom was waitlisted but got off pretty easily :) ! good luck!
Thank you! I’m going to start working on a letter of intent to send. I’ll also probably try to ask for “position”. I know they said they couldn’t tell you exactly where you were, but I think they said they could give an idea.

Thank you! I’m going to start working on a letter of intent to send. I’ll also probably try to ask for “position”. I know they said they couldn’t tell you exactly where you were, but I think they said they could give an idea.
yep and they were extremely accommodating too! like my friend wanted to chose in between two schools, she told them about it and they gave her enough time to think about her decision as well !!

same here waitlisted! ugh this is hard
Yea. I was kinda expecting it because they said in my interview that they had already filled the class basically. But they are confident there will be movement. The email I got said they were “very interested” in my application. Idk if that’s the general automated one or not but it gives me hope

Ok this might be a dumb question, do people always send letters of intent? Does it show interest in the school or does it annoy the committee 😂

Rejected, interviewed early December
Stats: 3.54c, 3.59s, 504, IS, URM
Admissions office called to tell me the news and provide feedback. She suggested I apply to their medical masters program so they can determine how I would perform academically.

how long after submitting the primary did it take to receive the secondary?

Admissions office called to tell me the news and provide feedback. She suggested I apply to their medical masters program so they can determine how I would perform academically.
I'm really sorry to hear that! I'm confused why they'd critique your academics if supposedly they knew what your performance was like already, given that they offered you an interview.

I'm really sorry to hear that! I'm confused why they'd critique your academics if supposedly they knew what your performance was like already, given that they offered you an interview.

Thank you. Slightly confused as well but maybe it’s because I graduated a few years ago. Good luck to everyone!

• Care
Wow, that's pretty crazy since you seem to be on-par stats wise. Good luck to you for the rest of this cycle!!!

how long after submitting the primary did it take to receive the secondary?
I got mine within a few days, but I also know my stats were above the cutoffs so it may have just been automatic. It took about 2 months for me to receive an "application complete" email though.

are we supposed to receive any updates for our application? I got an email that my secondary was received but did not hear anything after that. would it be fine for me to follow up afterwards?

are we supposed to receive any updates for our application? I got an email that my secondary was received but did not hear anything after that. would it be fine for me to follow up afterwards?
wondering the same. is there a complete email?

wondering the same. is there a complete email?
Yes, there is a complete email. Mine came almost two months after submitting my secondary. If it’s been a while, I would reach out to admissions. They are really nice!

I sent in my primary in the summer and I haven't heard back for a secondary. Is it over for me?