2020-2021 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The other day, I was at church praying to get off the waitlist (lol). As I was leaving, my clumsy self tipped the hand sanitizer and spilled it on the floor. I had a laugh about it with the man behind me, who introduced himself with a speech impediment. I found out that he woke up from a coma 20 years ago and then went through years of depression and suicidal thoughts. I told him about my dream of going into medicine, and he said to never give up because he wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for his doctor.

Before this moment, I was in such a bad place. He reminded me that life could always be worse, and in the case that it does become worse, we will always have the option of picking ourselves up and growing. He was such a bright light that my soul desperately needed.

Since then, my optimism and gratitude have grown. I had found some peace in life’s unpredictability, and I was prepared to deal with whatever cards I would be dealt next.

This morning, I got off one of my 5 waitlists. On my way to church pretty soon. Hope to see that man again :)
I shed tears reading this cus I’m in pretty bad shape rn :(

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
The other day, I was at church praying to get off the waitlist (lol). As I was leaving, my clumsy self tipped the hand sanitizer and spilled it on the floor. I had a laugh about it with the man behind me, who introduced himself with a speech impediment. I found out that he woke up from a coma 20 years ago and then went through years of depression and suicidal thoughts. I told him about my dream of going into medicine, and he said to never give up because he wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for his doctor.

Before this moment, I was in such a bad place. He reminded me that life could always be worse, and in the case that it does become worse, we will always have the option of picking ourselves up and growing. He was such a bright light that my soul desperately needed.

Since then, my optimism and gratitude have grown. I had found some peace in life’s unpredictability, and I was prepared to deal with whatever cards I would be dealt next.

This morning, I got off one of my 5 waitlists. On my way to church pretty soon. Hope to see that man again :)
this is so beautiful ❤️✨ SO happy for you!!!! congratulations future doctor :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations friend!! you are gonna be an amazing doctor and thanks for sharing this with us.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Y'all down to go on a road trip if we don't get in this cycle? We can work on secondaries and reapps on the road. We can share in the misery. (I apologize for my mental state RN but it is what it is) 🥺

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
D4BD3566-BB0A-46F1-AE3E-FDABECE1682C.jpeg

So close yet so far

• Haha
Reactions: 24 users
Y'all down to go on a road trip if we don't get in this cycle? We can work on secondaries and reapps on the road. We can share in the misery. (I apologize for my mental state RN but it is what it is) 🥺
Omg what a brilliant idea??? Possibly work on some reapps together while camping out in the middle of nowhere??

Ok but one doctor I shadowed told me that in the gap between years 1 and 2 he and his buddies did a road trip around the perimeter of the US...and I was like wait you didn't have to do research or volunteer or make yourself productive for residency apps? And he was shocked that that's expected these days lol

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
When I feel extra shi*ty, I watch interstellar or any documentary about the universe. Doing this reminds me how small I am compared to the whole universe 😌✨ So maybe, trying so hard is pointless LOL 🥲

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
Anyone else feel like they're stuck in this weird loop where you're living the same day over and over and over again?
  • Wake up, check emails and SDN school threads
  • Go to work, constantly refreshing emails and SDN threads
  • Develop a feeling of hopefulness while you see movement in your school's WL
  • Hopefulness slowly replaced by depression and anxiety as 5PM arrives
  • Eat, shower, cry, wonder what else you can do and why life is so cruel, sleep
  • *Rinse and repeat the next day...

• Care
Reactions: 40 users
Anyone else feel like they're stuck in this weird loop where you're living the same day over and over and over again?
This except the third step is grow increasingly less hopeful as your school's threads are silent for yet another day

This except the third step is grow increasingly less hopeful as your school's threads are silent for yet another day
But then you realize theyre silent cause they had a better than expected yield and will not be pulling from WL this yr

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm scared that if I send an LOI to a school that they'll be more willing to accept me later on in the cycle. They'll know I'll say yes no matter what so they'll go through everyone else on the WL first and then when they're desperate bcus someone drops the A in like late july then they'll go to me. Bcus they know I'll fill the seat. Or am I just paranoid?

Also they might be less willing to give me any financial aid since they know I'll go no matter what
The same thing has crossed my mind!I think we are both just paranoid though. The adcoms care a lot about their matriculation rate so a for sure yes is big for them

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone 😊

A friendly reminder that if you are feeling super stressed out, and especially if you feel like you might hurt yourself, PLEASE reach out to a counselor or therapist to talk about it. They really help!!

Always remember that you are loved and invaluable! There's no shame in seeking help if you feel down

• Care
here i was thinking that the friday before mothers day would have some movement for either of the 2 md WL schools im on cause adcoms would definitely want us to celebrate with our families..... but all i got was silence.

• Care
Hey everyone 😊

A friendly reminder that if you are feeling super stressed out, and especially if you feel like you might hurt yourself, PLEASE reach out to a counselor or therapist to talk about it. They really help!!

Always remember that you are loved and invaluable! There's no shame in seeking help if you feel down
Echo!!!! You can also go to the gym pop some plates on a bar and squat till you drop. It's almost a metaphor for med schools will put you down and all you have to do it yell and get back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 users
Echo!!!! You can also go to the gym pop some plates on a bar and squat till you drop. It's almost a metaphor for med schools will put you down and all you have to do it yell and get back up.
Currently, med schools are feeling more like a never-ending plank 😅

...but yes, we definitely need this energy

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I'm gonna open up my own private medical school and Accept the **** out of y'all here waiting with me

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 32 users
Hey everyone 😊

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741 or message us on Facebook Messenger.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Just to reiterate some other positive sentiments I've heard from this thread.

KEEP YOUR HELD UP, it's still early! While it might be smart to be cautious, hold out hope for at least a while longer.

Also keep in mind that applicants who receive the call to get off WL before you have usually ~ a week to decide whether to accept or decline that offer, and so the game of musical chairs takes a bit of time.

Lastly, try to enjoy the weekend! It is mother's day this weekend, so for those of you with good relationships with your parents, show them how much you care! There are other important things in life outside of med school admissions. As hard as it may seem, don't let this process determine your worth and happiness.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Anyone else's WL school also seem like historically the school had a lot of WL movement by now but this year it's close to being silent on sdn...? SLU had a lot more WL movement in previous years... but there has been one sdn post who got off the WL for this entire week 😢😢😢 is the class full..

Anyone else's WL school also seem like historically the school had a lot of WL movement by now but this year it's close to being silent on sdn...? SLU had a lot more WL movement in previous years... but there has been one sdn post who got off the WL for this entire week 😢😢😢 is the class full..
YES. And I am scared. Like is this year really THAT much different? I keep telling myself they’re just a little slow this year....

Reactions: 5 users
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741 or message us on Facebook Messenger.
Wanted to let people know that you do not have to be in a life or death crisis to reach out

Crisis counselors are willing to talk with anyone no matter what
If you’re feeling like you just want to vent to someone random over the phone or through chat, please don’t hesitate to reach out

I’m loving the support the community is demonstrating here ❤️

• Care
I keep telling myself that they're just running a bit late! I know schools have been a bit flexible this year with PTE. Hopefully good news will come next week!!! HODL!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I keep telling myself that they're just running a bit late! I know schools have been a bit flexible this year with PTE. Hopefully good news will come next week!!! HODL!!!
Me hanging on to my WL like
1620424779353.gif

• Haha
ok folks another business day comes to a close---see y'all next week<3

• Care
I’m on 3 WL, 2 have been silent (that I know of), the other has had a fair bit of movement. You’re probably right, it’s easy to forget that it’s only been one week. Historically both silent schools have had lots of movement May 2 and 3 though, which makes me more cynical than I would otherwise be.
I do appreciate the vote of confidence though, maybe I shouldn’t write myself off just yet!
Definitely not. You have nothing to lose by giving it at least until the end of the month. By then, if you are not one of the fortunate ones who come here every day to report success, it might be time to reassess, although, as many people have reported, good things DO continue to happen right through the summer.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely not. You have nothing to lose by giving it at least until the end of the month. By then, if you are not one of the fortunate ones who come here every day to report success, it might be time to reassess, although, as many people have reported, good things DO continue to happen right through the summer.
Knightdoc do you anticipate bigly WL movement next week?? :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
So many people at our school got off th waitlist...pain
Such heartbreak

I went to get ice cream earlier in the day
Saw that there was movement at our school that I wasn’t part of
Ended up not getting ice cream because I was too sad

At least it’s helping me lose weight lol

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Such heartbreak

I went to get ice cream earlier in the day
Saw that there was movement at our school that I wasn’t part of
Ended up not getting ice cream because I was too sad

At least it’s helping me lose weight lol
No eat all the ice cream!!!!

• Haha
No joke this is my exact day everyday

Reactions: 7 users
Yeah I think the general consensus is that once you send one, that's the only one you should ever send during that cycle. Otherwise it undermines the power of that letter.
This^^^^^.

The bottom line, at least according to all of the adcoms, is that the horse has already left the barn on these. We keep writing them because we feel like we need to do something. The power of the letter has been destroyed over the years. It is gone.

People keep posting questions regarding the ethics of screwing around with these. For every person who makes a post asking, there are probably at least 10 other people just writing Letters of Intent to all of their WL schools without checking in with us.

Schools have been burned repeatedly by these over the years. Adcoms who contribute here tell us they receive little to no weight. So, the answer is, don't worry about the ethics. Do whatever you want. It really doesn't matter.

Two weeks before classes start, if you are still on a WL, it will make a difference. Right now, it won't, because your mind will keep changing with each new opportunity you receive between now and your CTE date, and all schools know this, through experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm scared that if I send an LOI to a school that they'll be more willing to accept me later on in the cycle. They'll know I'll say yes no matter what so they'll go through everyone else on the WL first and then when they're desperate bcus someone drops the A in like late july then they'll go to me. Bcus they know I'll fill the seat. Or am I just paranoid?

Also they might be less willing to give me any financial aid since they know I'll go no matter what
Yes, you're paranoid. They'll take you when your number comes up. An LOI isn't going to hurt, but it's also probably not going to motivate anyone to take you out of turn. If they wait until the end, and you are an attractive candidate, the risk is you will no longer be available.

As for aid, you're already in a weak position in May with zero As. If you have need and they have money available, you should receive it anyway. If not, not. Whether or not you write LOIs, with no As in May, schools know they don't have to throw money at you to get you excited to attend.

Reactions: 1 user
Felt really optimistic after meeting with my therapist today about being on 3 waitlists. Just checked my school-specific threads and have seen there's been very minimal movement. I'm so unbelievably frustrated at this sh*tshow of a cycle, and that my 2018 MCAT will expire at some schools should I have to reapply a *fourth* time. This is so unbelievably unfair and I know my family is going to be so disappointed in me. Gonna watch RuPaul's Drag race to try to numb the pain. Love y'all.

• Care
Reactions: 27 users
Felt really optimistic after meeting with my therapist today about being on 3 waitlists. Just checked my school-specific threads and have seen there's been very minimal movement. I'm so unbelievably frustrated at this sh*tshow of a cycle, and that my 2018 MCAT will expire at some schools should I have to reapply a *fourth* time. This is so unbelievably unfair and I know my family is going to be so disappointed in me. Gonna watch RuPaul's Drag race to try to numb the pain. Love y'all.
I promise you no one will be disappointed in you! This is the absolute hardest admissions process in the country! Just having the will and perseverance to apply 4 times says a lot about you as an individual!!! You are absolutely loved and cherished! Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose my friend!

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
have a good weekend legends ❤️ good vibes ONLY starting Monday 😌✊🏽

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
I wish you could push the “periodic table” button to open and close the periodic table window on the mcat.

you know just thoughts coming to my head studying for my retake in case none of my 3 waitlists come through for me. ❤️

• Care
Knightdoc do you anticipate bigly WL movement next week?? :cool:
Okay everyone -- here is next week's projection, courtesy of yours truly:

First off, I have to say this because it isn't said enough around here. You guys really are amazing, and don't give yourselves enough credit because you constantly compare yourselves to the rock stars in the SDN universe.

Over 60,000 people applied this cycle, which makes this one of the most competitive cycles EVER, including going back decades, when there were thousands fewer seats than today. Just getting a single II is an accomplishment in this environment, and multiple IIs even more so.

While some schools don't reject anyone post-II, others do. You know which category your schools fall into, so you know where you should feel proud just to be here on 5/7, having interviewed and still being in the game. Yes, it sucks to not yet have an A, but, it really could be so much worse, and is, for tens of thousands of people who applied alongside you this cycle.

That said, some trends did reveal themselves this week and the end of last. Some schools saw very healthy WL movement while many, unexpectedly, did not. Some school threads are reporting schools either being fully subscribed or even over subscribed.

This does not mean WL movement is going to fall off a cliff next week, but it does signal that this year isn't going to be that different from prior years, despite hopes for an explosion of movement due to virtual interviewing. It turns out a ton of top candidates weren't hogging a bunch of As that were destined to be released around 4/30, and schools' yields did not drop precipitously. In fact, some unexpectedly rose.

Next week, schools that didn't make calls last week but have vacancies will get off their butts and make calls. Some of them will have vacancies created by people who were called off other WLs this week. Others will be from people who received calls this week but turned them down. It looks like it will be the typical pattern. Not less than last year, but, it's not looking like it's going to be more, at least not at most schools.

This is not terrible, and the next few weeks should still see significant movement. Just keep in mind, every seat has to be filled, and no one can fill more than one. Also keep in mind that a record number of people applied this year, and some schools compensated by interviewing more people. At the same time, more seats were not created.

So, more people interviewed, resulting in more people being on WLs, in preparation for a potential decrease in yield that doesn't seem to have manifested. This might make it seem like there is less movement, but there isn't. There just might end up being more people vying to benefit from the same movement.

Time will tell. It isn't over until it's over. A stitch in time save nine. Caveat emptor. YMMV. Most importantly -- have faith in yourselves. You survived a brutal, miserable year, and a brutal, miserable cycle. Hang in for a few more weeks, and allow whatever is destined to happen to happen. GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
Is the WL movement less because most schools over accepted their A’s? So more applications led to more interviews and then to more acceptances? So when the dust settles and the applicants settle in their PTE, the school will be close to their class size?

Is it possible that Adcoms gave more A’s than previous cycles knowing this dynamic this year?

Is the WL movement less because most schools over accepted their A’s? So more applications led to more interviews and then to more acceptances? So when the dust settles and the applicants settle in their PTE, the school will be close to their class size?

Is it possible that Adcoms gave more A’s than previous cycles knowing this dynamic this year?
I’ve heard conflicting anecdotes from school representatives who reported actually under-extending acceptance offers. Regardless of which schools are actually doing this, the fact that they are only means that the students who get accepted as a result of that will withdraw their apps elsewhere and allow waitlist movement at those other schools.

Very possible that they must have thought more people will decline. I have not been following this thread. But is the WL movement very less in all school overall so far?