2020-2021 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very possible that they must have thought more people will decline. I have not been following this thread. But is the WL movement very less in all school overall so far?
Yes, it seems to be. But also very school dependent

Members don't see this ad.

Is the WL movement less because most schools over accepted their A’s? So more applications led to more interviews and then to more acceptances? So when the dust settles and the applicants settle in their PTE, the school will be close to their class size?

Is it possible that Adcoms gave more A’s than previous cycles knowing this dynamic this year?
So far, the movement hasn't really been less. It just hasn't been more.

Nobody gave more As in response to more applications, without increasing their class size. What would this accomplish if they don't have room for everyone?

Some gave more IIs, which resulted in larger WLs. Some gave fewer As out of an abundance of caution. Others gave around the same. There has been WL movement, and it will continue.

While it's not less than prior years, it also, at least so far, doesn't seem to be more, and that is disappointing a lot of people who were hoping under accepting and larger WLs would lead to more WL movement than in the past. On the other hand, it is still very early.

Reactions: 2 users

Nobody gave more As in response to more applications, without increasing their class size. What would this accomplish if they don't have room for everyone?

Some gave more IIs, which resulted in larger WLs. Some gave fewer As out of an abundance of caution. Others gave around the same. There has been WL movement, and it will continue.

While it's not less than prior years, it also, at least so far, doesn't seem to be more, and that is disappointing a lot of people who were hoping under accepting and larger WLs would lead to more WL movement than in the past. On the other hand, it is still very early.
I already gave up lmao

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some gave more IIs, which resulted in larger WLs.

Since interviews were all online this cycle, which is way easier and less time consumming for schools, schools may have given out more II than in the past. This may have resulted in a school puting more applicants on their WL and/or hand out more Rs, but the the nuber of As for the school will stay approxiately the same as in previous years. Bigger WL is not good, but more people having multiple As is good because that may result in more WL movement as CTE dates approaches.

Could you please kind enough to point us to sources for

1. "Nobody gave more As"
2. Some gave fewers As, Others gave around the same.
3. It's not been less than prior years.

1. "Nobody gave more As"
You dare question the word of KnightDoc???

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 9 users
Hi friends! I got off the waitlist at my dream school yesterday, so keep hope alive! You've all got this! Sending you all big love and positive energy!!! <3

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 34 users

1. "Nobody gave more As"
1. No source. JMHO. Do you have any reason whatsoever to believe that any school that did not either have more seats to offer or a reason to believe that its yield would be lower (and a corresponding willingness to risk ending up over subscribed) would issue more As in response to having more applicants?

No adcom has announced that it would do so, and no anecdotal reports have emerged that As increased at any school. The data you are asking for will be published in the spring of 2022.

2. The few school specific threads where adcoms or others in a position to know stated that initial As would either be the same, or maybe slightly less than prior years, with possible increased use of the WL, if necessary. No one, anywhere, other than you, threw out the possibility that initial As might actually increase as a response to increased applications.

3. This very thread, in addition to many school specific threads. You'll have to do the work yourself to verify what I'm observing by looking at any threads you choose and comparing them to the same thread at the same time in 2019 or 2020.

Last edited:
Since interviews were all online this cycle, which is way easier and less time consumming for schools, schools may have given out more II than in the past. This may have resulted in a school puting more applicants on their WL and/or hand out more Rs, but the the nuber of As for the school will stay approxiately the same as in previous years. Bigger WL is not good, but more people having multiple As is good because that may result in more WL movement as CTE dates approaches.
Not exactly. This was the theory with respect to PTE (that more people would have more multiple As due to virtual interviewing), but it hasn't really panned out yet, which suggests it might not have happened.

The speculation about CTE happens every year, and every year it's wrong.

Other than people who were just called off a WL, and a few people who have PTE extensions for one reason or another, all of whom will be giving up their multiple As in the next few weeks, just who is going to be holding multiple As as CTE dates approach in June and July?

Those dates are going to come and go with a whimper, as they do every year, because CTE means nothing other than people converting their PTEs and withdrawing from WLs. It doesn't result in people giving up As, and, consequently, does not result in WL movement. The WL movement caused by people giving up As is what we are seeing right now.

Reactions: 1 user
You dare question the word of KnightDoc???
Y'all realize he/she is a premed who hasn't applied yet, right? Not an adcom, physician, faculty, med student, etc. Not saying KnoghtDoc is wrong but they're not an admissions expert by any means

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all realize he/she is a premed who hasn't applied yet, right? Not an adcom, physician, faculty, med student, etc. Not saying KnoghtDoc is wrong but they're not an admissions expert by any means
Absolutely correct! Just a person who has been studying this for the past two years. No inside information. Take everything I say with a huge grain of salt, or, feel free to totally ignore it. Or, even better, correct me when I am wrong, so we can all learn something new. Sharing information and supporting each other is the whole point, isn't it? :cool:

Reactions: 19 users
This thread is filled with 50% humor 30% sarcasm 20% fear to mask our anxiety

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
I not only realize it, his dedication to the process and outsider perspective untainted by expectation or personal investment is exactly why I value his insights.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
1. No source. JMHO. Do you have any reason whatsoever to believe that any school that did not either have more seats to offer or a reason to believe that its yield would be lower (and a corresponding willingness to risk ending up over subscribed) would issue more As in response to having more applicants?

No adcom has announced that it would do so, and no anecdotal reports have emerged that As increased at any school. The data you are asking for will be published in the spring of 2022.

2. The few school specific threads where adcoms or others in a position to know stated that initial As would either be the same, or maybe slightly less than prior years, with possible increased use of the WL, if necessary. No one, anywhere, other than you, threw out the possibility that initial As might actually increase as a response to increased applications.

3. This very thread, in addition to many school specific threads. You'll have to do the work yourself to verify what I'm observing by looking at any threads you choose and comparing them to the same thread at the same time in 2019 or 2020.
Thanks for the confident speculation.

1B324E98-AFE2-4E56-B6E8-15C9B7B507D8.jpeg

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 30 users
I was doing fine...WL movement was happening slowly but surely, but then my school sent out an interview invite yesterday....so now I'm back wanting to die....

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Rowan SOM...I don’t know what the point of having a waitlist is if they're not even going to use it
This probably doesn’t help but a friend of mine just got off the non priority waitlist there

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Rowan SOM...I don’t know what the point of having a waitlist is if they're not even going to use it
Do they send out post-II Rs? If not, then the WL is a mix of true WL plus soft Rs. Agreed that IIs in May is bizarre, unless the WL is so small that they need some insurance. On the other hand, how do you know the II isn't just someone screwing around to provoke this reaction?

Non-priority? Don’t they have a HPWL? Congrats to your friend!
Idk. This is coming second hand from them and they described it as a non priority WL but I think they just meant they weren’t on the hpwl

Hey! Thanks so much for the info! I sent you a PM (if you don’t mind answering ☺️)
Idk. This is coming second hand from them and they described it as a non priority WL but I think they just meant they weren’t on the hpwl

It’s low quality meme hour..

7C61273B-0E9D-4F3C-A07D-C81CFC92EDE5.jpeg

I wish for some grand WL movement tomorrow!

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
Next week is our week y’all!! let’s buckle down 😤😤😤😤

Reactions: 25 users
hi everyone, I wanted to hop on here in the midst of the unnerving WL movement season, and remind you to hug your mothers, expecting mothers, and grandmothers. Every mother is extremely proud of how far you have come, and making waitlist after interviews shows your full potential to be exceptional doctors. I received disheartening news of a declining family member’s health and realized that my worries and angst over getting off a waitlist are nil. Go and hug your family members and show them how grateful you are for them and their health. Be easy everyone, and I’m so happy to see y’all’s offers off of the WL

• Care
Reactions: 22 users
Can we accept other waitlist spots after April 30 if we already PTE at another school? I understand that we can remain on waitlists but not certain about being placed on new ones.

Can we accept other waitlist spots after April 30 if we already PTE at another school? I understand that we can remain on waitlists but not certain about being placed on new ones.
Of course!!! The more the merrier. There are no rules regarding this after 4/30, other than to meet whatever PTE and CTE deadlines you have.

If my school already had a bunch of movement before April 30th, and last week they only took off two students from the waitlist, Should I assume it's over unless there's a seat shuffle? I am already preparing for the worst and am retaking the MCAT soon, but just wanted to know what yall think.

If my school already had a bunch of movement before April 30th, and last week they only took off two students from the waitlist, Should I assume it's over unless there's a seat shuffle? I am already preparing for the worst and am retaking the MCAT soon, but just wanted to know what yall think.
bruh same! My school's doing the same and I'm crying thinking abt rewriting my PS and going through this entire cycle again

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Well, yeah, but don't be so fast to write off a seat shuffle!

People typically receive 2 weeks to make a decision before 4/30, and one week after (this varies by school, and could be subject to extensions if people ask for them). If your school had movement and you didn't receive a call, all that means is that you weren't in that group.

Everyone who received a call won't take the A, plus, as you said, people receiving calls from other schools might give up seats at your school. This is precisely why movement doesn't begin and end over the course of a few days at the end of April/beginning of May. This literally plays out over weeks.

No, you shouldn't assume it's over. You should assume we are right in the middle of it, and that it will continue, with progressively smaller waves, right into June and July. Personally, I'd wait until the end of May before reassessing. How many WLs are you on?

Well, yeah, but don't be so fast to write off a seat shuffle!

People typically receive 2 weeks to make a decision before 4/30, and one week after (this varies by school, and could be subject to extensions if people ask for them). If your school had movement and you didn't receive a call, all that means is that you weren't in that group.

Everyone who received a call won't take the A, plus, as you said, people receiving calls from other schools might give up seats at your school. This is precisely why movement doesn't begin and end over the course of a few days at the end of April/beginning of May. This literally plays out over weeks.

No, you shouldn't assume it's over. You should assume we are right in the middle of it, and that it will continue, with progressively smaller waves, right into June and July. Personally, I'd wait until the end of May before reassessing. How many WLs are you on?
I'm on just the one waitlist. Most of the people who got off the WL on my school thread have said they will be accepting, so I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a high-yield waitlist meaning I probably don't have much of a shot unless someone already accepted goes elsewhere.

and touching on your first point, do you mean that people who got accepted of WL either have a week to two weeks to decide? Could this mean that there is probably gonna be movement next week, whether someone reports it on SDN or not?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm on just the one waitlist. Most of the people who got off the WL on my school thread have said they will be accepting, so I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a high-yield waitlist meaning I probably don't have much of a shot unless someone already accepted goes elsewhere.

and touching on your first point, do you mean that people who got accepted of WL either have a week to two weeks to decide? Could this mean that there is probably gonna be movement next week, whether someone reports it on SDN or not?
Yes. Clearly I don't know exactly what is going on at your school, but the protocols call for people to to have a minimum of two weeks to decide on an A prior to 4/30, and one week after that date (reduced to 2 days within 30 days of orientation).

There could not only be movement next week due to people turning down the A at your school, there could also be movement, at any time, caused by people receiving an A from anywhere else and withdrawing from your school. This happens every year, at many schools, in progressively smaller and smaller waves. This is why you need to give it at least a few weeks to see what happens.

One WL is less than ideal, and having it be at a high yield state school is also less than ideal, but it's too soon to call it. You need to keep doing what you are doing with respect to preparing for the MCAT.

Believe it or not, you're in a better position than if there was no movement. Your place on the list is fixed. At least now, you know there is movement, which is better than the school being over subscribed. Your relative spot on the list has already been determined, and you are closer to receiving a call now as compared to two weeks ago. There is still no guarantee it will ever come, but, you definitely have moved up the list.

I've probably spent more time calculating my waitlist chances than I have calculating chem/phys equations for the MCAT...

58was8.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Finally mustered up the strength to open up that new 2021-2022 cycle application and confirm the pre-filled information. Didn't realize I had to resend transcripts, but it's still early. After my 4 WLs this cycle and being complete in October since it took my pre-health committee almost 5 months to get my letter together, I want to at least be early this time...

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if it is advisable to change/update your disadvantaged essay as a reapplicant?

Does anyone know if it is advisable to change/update your disadvantaged essay as a reapplicant?
Not an adcom, but, the general advice is to change, or at least tweak, everything. Why would any one essay be an exception? After all, the goal is to change the result. Certain things cannot be altered. Everything else is a candidate for improvement. JMHO, but I'd at least tweak, if not totally rewrite, everything on a reapp.

Not an adcom, but, the general advice is to change, or at least tweak, everything. Why would any one essay be an exception? After all, the goal is to change the result. Certain things cannot be altered. Everything else is a candidate for improvement. JMHO, but I'd at least tweak, if not totally rewrite, everything on a reapp.
n=1 but I got away with only changing my PS and supplemental essay responses. All my activity descriptions were unchanged. I didn’t feel the need to rewrite my work/activities since it wasn’t like my duties, responsibilities, or experiences changed after I’d already completed them.