2020-2021 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I contacted a school that I'm WL'd at (the school had some WL movement today), and upon asking if seats were still open for WLers, they said:

Thank you for contacting our office! We have started to see some waitlist movement and expect to see some more movement especially nearing the June 15th deadline. Waitlist movement can occur up until the first day of orientation.

is this a good sign?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I contacted a school that I'm WL'd at (the school had some WL movement today), and upon asking if seats were still open for WLers, they said:

Thank you for contacting our office! We have started to see some waitlist movement and expect to see some more movement especially nearing the June 15th deadline. Waitlist movement can occur up until the first day of orientation.

is this a good sign?
Yes ofc

Wanted to get opinions on reaching out to schools that I’m WLd at (3 in total), my top 3 schools that I applied to. I have an A already, and I basically want to know what my chances are so that I know if I can start planning to get an apartment/buy a car (I would need a car for my current A but ⅔ of my WL schools are in places that make a car cumbersome).
is it generally seen as an acceptable thing to do to ask for a candid response on if I have a chance? Or could it hurt me in some way?
Edit: none of my WLs are ranked so I have no idea where I am on their radars

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to get opinions on reaching out to schools that I’m WLd at (3 in total), my top 3 schools that I applied to. I have an A already, and I basically want to know what my chances are so that I know if I can start planning to get an apartment/buy a car (I would need a car for my current A but ⅔ of my WL schools are in places that make a car cumbersome).
is it generally seen as an acceptable thing to do to ask for a candid response on if I have a chance? Or could it hurt me in some way?
I doubt it's going to hurt you, but I'd be prepared for their not having much info to give you, especially if they are indeed unranked.

Reactions: 3 users
Some of these posts just made me want to call one of the schools I am WLed at and most interested in. I feel awful that the call just went to voicemail. FML.

• Care
Hey guys quick Q. I'm on the WL for Georgetown, and seems like two people got off the WL this morning. I don't want to think this is the end of WL movement (bc last year Gtown's biggest WL wave was around May 10), but how can a school so expensive and with mid tier rank be already full? There's gotta be more movement right?
Sorry guys, I'm desperate and sad hahah
No need to be either desperate or sad, at least not yet!

There is no way to know that WL movement is over until matriculation, because things happen that cause people to withdraw at the last minute.

Being full has nothing to do with cost or rank, and everything to do with how accurately the school predicted yield when issuing their initial As.

Yes, there will almost certainly be more movement at most schools. Remember, WL movement almost anywhere could cause a spot to open up at Georgetown, or any other school for that matter. This is why it is pointless to lose hope this early in the WL season. WL movement at any school could easily cause movement at any other school.

Last edited:
Guys... I JUST GOT INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL 😭😭😭
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! It looks like, at least sometimes, things happen exactly the way they are supposed to!!!

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
It's not going to help or hurt.

There is no law against being transparent, and many schools are. If your schools have not communicated your relative spot or chances to you (top third, HPWL, #X, whatever), then your schools have apparently chosen not to be transparent. A phone call will probably not cause them to make an exception for you, but take a shot. You have nothing to lose. They won't hold it against you.

If you really don't want to deal with the uncertainty, you can end it right now by withdrawing and making plans at the school that has already given you an A. Many thousands of people have already done just this, some of them for the very issue you are dealing with. If your WL schools are so much better for you, this is the situation you find yourself in, and, unfortunately, the seller's market allows schools to do exactly what is being done to you. A phone call isn't going to change that, other than the one where you receive an A.

Reactions: 1 user
school i'm currently WL at said that only 1 spot opened up on the high priority list, but they think a few more will open up this month. idk how I feel about this... I know i'm in the top 10 of the list so I need 9 more spots to open but movement has been minimal so far :(

• Care
school i'm currently WL at said that only 1 spot opened up on the high priority list, but they think a few more will open up this month. idk how I feel about this... I know i'm in the top 10 of the list so I need 9 more spots to open but movement has been minimal so far :(
Top 10 doesn't mean #10, does it? If not, how do you know you won't be next????

Can I ask what school?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
4B91FB2A-FD6B-4547-8CB1-15479C81DF3F.jpeg

Been a while since I posted a meme

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 28 users
That is true I don’t lol but I could also be 10, just trying to predict as much as possible
You're right --worst case is 9 more spots need to open. Best case, one more spot. Most likely, somewhere in the middle. Just remember, in addition to spots opening up, you can also move up if people ahead of you just withdraw from the WL. I'd think it's pretty likely that if they told you that you are T10, you will be called.

There is no law against being transparent, and many schools are. If your schools have not communicated your relative spot or chances to you (top third, HPWL, #X, whatever), then your schools have apparently chosen not to be transparent.
If they tell you that they don't know how the committee will view the remaining alternate list holders, would that be transparent enough? Because, frankly that's the answer at a boat-load of schools.

Last edited:
  • Wow
If they tell you that they don't know how the committee will view the remaining alternate list holders, would that be transparent enough? Because, frankly that's the answer at a boat-load of schools.
I think the frustration is that this entire process isn't transparent enough. Schools don't send out rejections till the cycle is long over, they don't communicate waitlist and alternate list policy properly and frankly many schools don't even read updates and LOIs. For students to spend thousands of dollars, respectfully ask for information, and still get obscure responses is frustrating. I think schools need to have the same respect for applicants as applicants have for schools.

Reactions: 17 users
I think the frustration is that this entire process isn't transparent enough. Schools don't send out rejections till the cycle is long over, they don't communicate waitlist and alternate list policy properly and frankly many schools don't even read updates and LOIs. For students to spend thousands of dollars, respectfully ask for information, and still get obscure responses is frustrating. I think schools need to have the same respect for applicants as applicants have for schools.
Definitely agree. The one school that I'm waitlisted at doesn't release any information about WL rankings, movement or anything. I tried calling to get some information and went to voicemail every time I called. Then I emailed and they responded with a super generic response saying that while they can't provide any specific details, movement is expected to occur through August.

If they tell you is that they don't know how the committee will view the remaining alternate list holders, would that be transparent enough? Because, frankly that's the answer at a boat-load of schools.
Sure! But that begs the question why they leave it hanging this long instead of forming an unranked, stratified list that would allow the admissions office to communicate relative position to candidates (such as upper third, high priority, top 10, whatever) and would delegate final decisions to a subcommittee, as allowed under LCME rules?

Whose interests, if anyone's, are served by delaying rough sorting and voting until sometime after 4/30, when adcoms have been sitting on scored files literally for months? I'm sure it happens, and I'm sure it's because the last thing those adcoms consider important is the stress this places on WL candidates, both those with, and especially without, other As. The fact that ALL schools don't do this is evidence that it doesn't have to be this way.

Just another benefit of the seller's market. :) In a more balanced market, if schools were at risk of actually losing attractive candidates needed to fill seats, I'm pretty sure they'd find a way to be a lot more user friendly, and they'd somehow manage to provide desired information to candidates in a much more timely manner.

Last edited:
@gyngyn it seems you're a physician. If you're on ADCOMS I would love to chat with you about the student perspective. Clearly if you're on SDN you have some interest in hearing our perspective which we appreciate wholeheartedly.

@gyngyn it seems you're a physician. If you're on ADCOMS I would love to chat with you about the student perspective. Clearly if you're on SDN you have some interest in hearing our perspective which we appreciate wholeheartedly.
@gyngyn is by far one of the most awesome, user friendly advocates for us in the adcom universe, who probably knows more about the student perspective than many of the students. :cool:

I'm sure she's just sharing the unvarnished truth with us, and I'd be careful about shooting the messenger. JMHO!!

Sure! But that begs the question why they leave it hanging this long instead of forming an unranked, stratified list that would allow the admissions office to communicate relative position to candidates (such as upper third, high priority, top 10, whatever) and would delegate final decisions to a subcommittee, as allowed under LCME rules?

Whose interests, if anyone's, are served by delaying rough sorting and voting until sometime after 4/30, when adcoms have been sitting on scored files literally for months? I'm sure it happens, and I'm sure it's because the last thing those adcoms consider important is the stress this places on WL candidates, both those with, and especially without, other As. The fact that ALL schools don't do this is evidence that it doesn't have to be this way.

Just another benefit of the seller's market. :) In a more balanced market, if schools were at risk of actually losing attractive candidates needed to fill seats, I'm pretty sure they'd find a way to be a lot more user friendly, and they'd somehow manage to provide desired information to candidates in a much more timely manner.
If you are asking me why medical schools have slow-moving responses in a fast moving world, I am only one person at one school. I am merely explaining as transparently as I can with what I have observed.

No one knows at the end of the primary acceptance season who will remain on April 30th. What may have constituted a good waitlist in Mid March (when many committees have essentially concluded their work) might be no where near good on May 10th.

You are correct in observing that every waitlist has an abundant number of excellent candidates (probably even schools that I hold in low esteem).

• Love
I also find this unacceptable.

Reactions: 11 users
Would you be disappointed if I were not a she/her/hers?
Not at all!!! :) Just a 50-50 guess I made, probably based on how sage your guidance has been, and my experience that such wise counsel often comes from that side of the fence. :cool:

• Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
Missed the first post-April 30th wave of acceptances at the school I'm waitlisted for... and today was the day my alma mater required reapplicants to submit a committee letter interest form in order to be considered for the next cycle :( all-around rough and anxiety-inducing day. can't wait to rinse and repeat tomorrow LOL #sad

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
If you are asking me why medical schools have slow-moving responses in a fast moving world, I am only one person at one school. I am merely explaining as transparently as I can with what I have observed.

No one knows at the end of the primary acceptance season who will remain on April 30th. What may have constituted a good waitlist in Mid March (when many committees have essentially concluded their work) might be no where near good on May 10th.

You are correct in observing that every waitlist has an abundant number of excellent candidates (probably even schools that I hold in low esteem).
@gyngyn I’m curious about what you mean by “good waitlist”— could you elaborate? Do you mean diverse? Or overall high stats? Or is there something else I’m missing?

@gyngyn I’m curious about what you mean by “good waitlist”— could you elaborate? Do you mean diverse? Or overall high stats? Or is there something else I’m missing?
Good is in the eye of the beholder. Depending on the demands of the dean or others in high levels of management, a good class can mean any of a number of things... more engineers, more non-trads, more artists, more researchers, more public health wonks...

I know it's not even the end of May but I can't help feeling like I'm not getting off the waitlist after missing the first wave of acceptances today - I'm in a state of holding onto a sliver of hope while trying to regain the focus to retake the MCAT/apply again - if anyone has any advice on how to get outta this funk, pls lmk

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I know it's not even the end of May but I can't help feeling like I'm not getting off the waitlist after missing the first wave of acceptances today - I'm in a state of holding onto a sliver of hope while trying to regain the focus to retake the MCAT/apply again - if anyone has any advice on how to get outta this funk, pls lmk
+1

• Care
Question for yall. Im currenly on 1 WL and per the school thread on SDN, there hasn't been any movement. I was wondering if I should email them to ask about movement, even though in previous emails they have sent to everyone on the WL, they give off the vibe that they don't want any questions about WL standings...

I got into a SMP and don't want to have to pay tuition+tech fee that's due at the end of May unless I don't get off the WL since it is a lot of money...

Does anyone have any kind of impression as to what the waitlist movement is like overall this cycle? Does there seem to more more movement than normal due to COVID, or are things pretty slow?

Question for yall. Im currenly on 1 WL and per the school thread on SDN, there hasn't been any movement. I was wondering if I should email them to ask about movement, even though in previous emails they have sent to everyone on the WL, they give off the vibe that they don't want any questions about WL standings...

I got into a SMP and don't want to have to pay tuition+tech fee that's due at the end of May unless I don't get off the WL since it is a lot of money...
I don’t think it would hurt to email or even to call about their current WL movement. A simple genuine inquiry shouldn’t be a ding on your application/chances.

Called a school I am WL at and they said "I wouldn't say that the majority of waitlist movement has occurred yet." Vague. 😂

• Sad
Called a school I am WL at and they said "I wouldn't say that the majority of waitlist movement has occurred yet." Vague. 😂
Oh, but that’s a good thing to hear - could mean that they’re soon to experience a wave of As.

I emailed the school I’m WL’ed at and they replied that the majority of WL movement typically occurs prior to 4/30, and they expect possibly a few more acceptances between May and June, so that’s a lot less promising 🙃

Oh, but that’s a good thing to hear - could mean that they’re soon to experience a wave of As.

I emailed the school I’m WL’ed at and they replied that the majority of WL movement typically occurs prior to 4/30, and they expect possibly a few more acceptances between May and June, so that’s a lot less promising 🙃
Oh for sure, knowing that there is some chance no matter how small is absolutely better than knowing there is no chance at all. But, I can't help but think that from the tone of her voice she either wasn't sure or wanted to let me down real easy. 😂😬

Any chance anyone here has reached out to Ohio state and asked about their movement?

I had a vivid dream I got into school and took a screenshot of the email. I woke up and checked my camera and found a screenshot of MCAT formulas. Like it was borderline lucid.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 21 users
How do schools who claim their waitlist is unranked choose among their WL candidates?

Reactions: 2 users
How do schools who claim their waitlist is unranked choose among their WL candidates?
This crossed my mind today. And then I wondered if they are really all ranked, but we just aren't allowed to know our rank for some. Haha.

This crossed my mind today. And then I wondered if they are really all ranked, but we just aren't allowed to know our rank for some. Haha.
I heard its based on demographic needs of the class but not sure what that really means

I had a vivid dream I got into school and took a screenshot of the email. I woke up and checked my camera and found a screenshot of MCAT formulas. Like it was borderline lucid.
Literally had a dream last night that I got in off one of my WLs and couldn't sign in to the portal to see it officially lol

• Haha
  • Sad
This crossed my mind today. And then I wondered if they are really all ranked, but we just aren't allowed to know our rank for some.
I heard its based on demographic needs of the class but not sure what that really means
It’s probably ranked internally with flexibility to account for demographic needs of the class. I can’t imagine that everytime someone drops an A that they go through a pile of 100+ WL applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s probably ranked internally with flexibility to account for demographic needs of the class. I can’t imagine that everytime someone drops an A that they go through a pile of 100+ WL applicants.
yeah makes sense

Anyone happen to have contacted Indiana University about their waitlist?

This ^^^^^^. It's not "ranked" per se, because that is a technical term that has ramifications for the school, but everyone has a relative position, since everyone has a score from when they were discussed at the adcom.

Unranked really just means they have flexibility to deviate from the strict order. Decisions are either made by the adcom or by a delegated subcommittee.

@tahinitajin is correct. Most full adcoms don't meet each time to make decisions (although some definitely do!), but they are absolutely not discussing every candidate again at every meeting. There definitely is an order to every unranked list, and only the top people are discussed when making decisions about a given wave of calls.

• Love
Demographics is correct. Say an african american, male out of state applicant drops off. Then they would look for an African American, male OOS applicant in their WL (presumably the most qualified).

Demographics is correct. Say an african american, male out of state applicant drops off. Then they would look for an African American, male OOS applicant in their WL (presumably the most qualified).
Not always, but unranked gives them the flexibility to do so. Just keep in mind that the demographic make up of the class is not set in stone, so WL movement is NOT one-for-one mapped to who withdraws. The big exception to this is IS/OOS at public schools, where they typically maintain separate lists for each.