2020 Cycle Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone has success leveraging an A to get off a WL? How do you say it without sounding cocky? Also already sent an LOI and several updates, so I don’t want to be repetitive/annoy adcoms
I sent an LOI to my top choice and basically said "If accepted, I will attend despite another acceptance." I'm still on the waitlist.
I'm not sure if there are other ways to tactfully do it, so I'm also interested in what others have to say.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
...just got a paper accepted today to a pretty good journal (2nd author)...not even sure if I should still try updating my waitlist schools....should I even try?

Reactions: 9 users
...just got a paper accepted today to a pretty good journal (2nd author)...not even sure if I should still try updating my waitlist schools....should I even try?

You might as well try - there's no harm in sending the update. The worst outcome is that you'll be in the same situation you're currently in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone has success leveraging an A to get off a WL? How do you say it without sounding cocky? Also already sent an LOI and several updates, so I don’t want to be repetitive/annoy adcoms
As it gets closer to your current A's CTE deadline, it might be worthwhile to send an update and say hey youre still my first choice

Reactions: 3 users
Just put a deposit down for a Caribbean school and it was soul crushing. Praying that I hear back from my 1 waitlist sooner then later.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users
Just put a deposit down for a Caribbean school and it was soul crushing. Praying that I hear back from my 1 waitlist sooner then later.
:dead: -'ribbean.

Hope you get off the WL.

I'm really crossing my fingers for you friend! Was this your first ever application cycle? The fact you've made it as far as getting a WL at a US school is honestly very impressive and I really hope you matriculate there this Fall. I'm sure you thought a lot about making the decision to attend a Carribean school, but I do hope you consider again the idea of doing another AMCAS/AACOMAS cycle before doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I'm really crossing my fingers for you friend! Was this your first ever application cycle? The fact you've made it as far as getting a WL at a US school is honestly very impressive and I really hope you matriculate their this Fall. I'm sure you thought a lot about making the decision to attend a Carribean school, but I do hope you consider again the idea of doing another AMCAS/AACOMAS cycle before doing so.
I have weighed the options of another cycle. I had 2 DO interviews (both rejections) and 1 MD (waitlist). I think the big piece is that I am a non traditional student 26 turning 27 ready to start and I know what I want to specialize in but the only other thing I’d need to do to improve would be my grades and that would require a master programs which I don’t know if financially I want to undertake. I am still weighing the option but figured I’d put down the deposit just in case I decide to take the chance. Also thanks to everyone who posts on this thread it’s kept me from drowning during this long wait.

Reactions: 5 users
I have weighed the options of another cycle. I had 2 DO interviews (both rejections) and 1 MD (waitlist). I think the big piece is that I am a non traditional student 26 turning 27 ready to start and I know what I want to specialize in but the only other thing I’d need to do to improve would be my grades and that would require a master programs which I don’t know if financially I want to undertake. I am still weighing the option but figured I’d put down the deposit just in case I decide to take the chance. Also thanks to everyone who posts on this thread it’s kept me from drowning during this long wait.

I get financials being a reason behind not doing a masters, but do keep in mind just how expensive Caribbean schools can be, and how you don't get typical student aid. Also keep in mind how risky it is with residencies. I have a friend who wanted to be a trauma surgeon, went to St. George's and is now a hospitalist in 400k of debt. Please weigh all your options before committing to the tropicals. I hope you get off your waitlist!!

Reactions: 10 users
27 is normal!

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
Have you considered a one years masters with a linkage?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I get financials being a reason behind not doing a masters, but do keep in mind just how expensive Caribbean schools can be, and how you don't get typical student aid. Also keep in mind how risky it is with residencies. I have a friend who wanted to be a trauma surgeon, went to St. George's and is now a hospitalist in 400k of debt. Please weigh all your options before committing to the tropicals. I hope you get off your waitlist!!
Bless your heart thank you for the advice. Yeah it’s a big internal tug right now but I want to be making the smartest decision moving forward to prepare me for optimal success.

You also speak of financials (which I fully understand, i had to bust my ass to afford my SMP and certainly have increased my debt burden) but statistically the carribean is going to be the worst financial move you can make.

I hate to give it flat like that.

Reactions: 5 users
Bless your heart thank you for the advice. Yeah it’s a big internal tug right now but I want to be making the smartest decision moving forward to prepare me for optimal success.
Feel free to message me regarding the SMP

You also speak of financials (which I fully understand, i had to bust my ass to afford my SMP and certainly have increased my debt burden) but statistically the carribean is going to be the worst financial move you can make.

I hate to give it flat like that.
Id rather get it blunt then be in a lifetime of debt to go somewhere that won’t guarantee where I want to be. Thank you for the advice

Reactions: 10 users

I would seriously look into improving your interview skills (unless your GPA is really low). Most DO schools do not discriminate against non traditional students. I think applying and using an interview prep company would be a better path to take. I think multiple rejections instead of waitlists show the interview could be the problem. Not trying to be mean just truthful.

Reactions: 1 users

I'll be 35 when I start this fall. You still have time and as others have suggested, look into a post-bacc or masters.

I’m looking into Georgetown’s SMP any ones you suggest?
Knew someone that did this and got into MD right after. She said it was hell, but it all worked out in the end.

Reactions: 6 users
Just to add to what everyone else is saying lol I'll be matriculating and turning 27 this year. A friend of mine is in her mid 30s and also matriculating this year. You're definitely not too old and won't be too old! Please avoid the Caribbean. You can definitely get into a US med school!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Look, I know a lot of people are giving the same advice as I'm about to give, but hopefully this will add a new perspective. My boyfriend just finished med school at a US MD school, so he just went through the match program. it was tough, even as a US med student with a very strong application going into one of the less competitive specialities. Unfortunately, residency programs do look down upon Caribbean grads.

Much more often, these grads do not match, and end up in "soap" which basically is a losers bracket that sticks you in an open seat that a random program may have. Not a program you interviewed with. Probably one you've never heard of. Probably not the specialty you were going for. And think about WHY they might have an open seat that they need to fill in this "after market" way. It's a really bad situation that happens to a lot more Caribbean students, and this is NOT brought up on the front end when people are deciding between DO/applying another cycle/Caribbean school.

tldr; there are much bigger down-the-line career consequences than just more debt.

Also, I'll be 26 this fall when I start, so easy on the age discrimination :)

[Edited for factual accuracy]

Last edited:
Look, I know a lot of people are giving the same advice as I'm about to give, but hopefully this will add a new perspective. My boyfriend just finished med school at a US MD school, so he just went through the match program. it was tough, even as a US med student with a very strong application going into one of the less competitive specialities. There literally aren't the same number of residency seats as there are applicants, and unfortunately, residency programs do look down upon Caribbean grads.

Much more often, these grads do not match, and end up in "soap" which basically is a losers bracket that sticks you in an open seat that a random program may have. Not a program you interviewed with. Probably one you've never heard of. Probably not the specialty you were going for. And think about WHY they might have an open seat that they need to fill in this "after market" way. It's a really bad situation that happens to a lot more Caribbean students, and this is NOT brought up on the front end when people are deciding between DO/applying another cycle/Caribbean school.

tldr; there are much bigger down-the-line career consequences than just more debt.

Also, I'll be 26 this fall when I start, so easy on the age discrimination :)

I think @Goro said once that there are more residency spots than there are bodies to fill them?

@brighterday2 not to pile on top of everyone else's comments (we're only trying to help! This is literally the nicest page on all of SDN so I'm glad you're here!) but I was pretty much in your shoes when I was accepted to a school in PR in 2018 shortly after the island was hit by Hurricane Maria. I tried 3x to visit the school but the island kept losing power. To make matters worse, the school had really limited information on their graduating classes and residency matches, and they were really bad about communicating, I could barely get in touch with them. It was a really hard decision (I would have LOVED to go to school inPR!), but I couldn't justify taking out a loan that big, shedding all my worldly possessions on the mainland and going somewhere that wouldnt return my phone calls, and I ended up choosing to stay closer to home to do an SMP, and I'm so glad that I did. I just got accepted this week! Granted, I was on the WL which is why I hopped onto this lovely supportive thread, but I gotta say, I feel much more secure in my decision and that my patience will certainly have paid off in the long run. I have seen med school material already through my SMP, so I'm prepped in terms of course work, and my school has some great residency matches, so I have a chance of ending up where I wanna go. I know it's a tough spot to be in but you can still get into med school, it just might take a little longer! Btw I'm a ripe 30 years old wise ;) and starting med school this year, age aint nothin but a number! :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Thank you all so much for your advice and words of wisdom. I have been obsessively checking this thread for signs of hope and it helps me sleep a little (emphasis on the little) better knowing that I have options to set myself up for a success in my future. I am internalizing everything that has been said and really feeling optimistic now for the next year! Y’all stay blessed and safe and continue to practice self care because you all deserve it!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
sure there might be more residency spots than doctors....but the average Med student doesn’t want to do some random family med residency program in a run-down clinic in Utah.
Better that than going unmatched. And it's still very possible to be successful in FM or peds etc

Thank you all so much for your advice and words of wisdom. I have been obsessively checking this thread for signs of hope and it helps me sleep a little (emphasis on the little) better knowing that I have options to set myself up for a success in my future. I am internalizing everything that has been said and really feeling optimistic now for the next year! Y’all stay blessed and safe and continue to practice self care because you all deserve it!

Not that you need any more convincing, but just wanted to say that I definitely understand your sense of urgency (also turning 27 this year). With that being said, age truly is just a number! I have some friends that entered med school right out of college, and others that entered the workforce at that age. Some of them hate where they're at in life, some are happy. A close friend of mine (same age) also got accepted to a great medical school this year, and my brother (a few years older than me) is matriculating into dental school this fall after his second year applying. I originally planned to apply last summer but decided to defer a year due to wedding planning being insane, and in the end, I'm grateful for the extra year I had to figure things out during my first year of marriage.

I'm sure you'll choose what's best for you, but hope things work out for you!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Since we're talking Caribbean schools.... my boyfriend had a friend that went to a caribbean school when it got hit by a hurricane. Island was wrecked so the school bought an old cruise ship and stuck everyone on there. Then apparently that wasnt legal or something so they moved them into a barn god-knows-where which eventually caught on fire and burned down. The story end's with my boyfriend's friend dropping out. Honestly not sure how true all parts of this story are but woof.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Honestly screw this whole process. Legit Doesn’t makes sense why we can’t get an answer in a reasonable amount of time.

1) People can’t afford to just wait around and do nothing
2) figuring out where to live, especially if there’s a time crunch or if friends want you to resign leases
3) waiting the last minute for a final A and having to travel, finding housing, and figure out rent/money

It legitimately makes no sense how this process works.

Yeah going through sorority hazing was bad, this is beyond another level. Makes no sense why adcoms can’t be more transparent and understand that this process affects the lives people. CTE/ PTE is totally wack. And schools need to figure out how to get this done faster and more orderly.

Legitimately makes no sense to wait 10 months to a year to get a final Decisions. If you put on us in the waitlist and don’t want us just tell us we’re rejected. It helps us understand what next steps we have to take. Seriously an outrage. Aka calling out BU for soft waitlists. That’s not acceptable. Reject if you want to but don’t give hope to others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Honestly screw this whole process. Legit makes sense why we can’t get an answer in a reasonable amount of time.

1) People can’t afford to just wait around and do nothing
2) figuring out where to live, especially if there’s a time crunch or if friends want you to resign leases
3) waiting the last minute for a final A and having to travel, finding housing, and figure out rent/money

It legitimately makes no sense how this process works.

Yeah going through sorority hazing was bad, this is beyond another level. Makes no sense why adcoms can’t be more transparent and understand that this process affects the lives people. CTE/ PTE is totally wack. And schools need to figure out how to get this done faster and more orderly.

Legitimately makes no sense if to wait 10 months to a year to get a final Decisions if you put on us in the waitlist and don’t want us just tell us we’re rejected. It helps us understand what next steps we have to take. Seriously an outrage.

??? Either you’re trolling there or here but the real question is why troll at all

Attachments

• E68E660A-90F9-4C7D-B0DF-F4101D7B1F0A.jpeg
    E68E660A-90F9-4C7D-B0DF-F4101D7B1F0A.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 490
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Yes I did troll that site, but what I said definitely is what the majority of apppicants think.

Sure, cool point you made, doesn’t make the rest of what I said wrong

TLDR: sure I trolled, but what I just posted isn’t wrong

• Dislike
  • Haha
Yes I did troll that site, but what I said definitely is what the majority of apppicants think.

Sure, cool point you made, doesn’t make the rest of what I said wrong

TLDR: sure I trolled, but what I just posted isn’t wrong

But why would you troll when people on that page probably feel the way you do and your post was misleading? That’s just straight unkind imo, whether you’re point here is valid or not. This certainly isn’t the time to be putting out bad karma

Reactions: 19 users
You’re right I didn’t think about it that way. But those guys there most are getting in somewhere else. We on this page are begging to get into just one

You’re right I didn’t think about it that way. But those guys there most are getting in somewhere else. We on this page are begging to get into just one
I don’t mean to keep calling you out for your posts, but it seems that you’ve already committed somewhere?
1A89FA1B-00AE-475B-874A-1478CF979876.png

I really don’t get why you’re trolling when this process is so difficult for so many people...

• Wow
Reactions: 15 users
I don’t mean to keep calling you out for your posts, but it seems that you’ve already committed somewhere?
View attachment 306554
I really don’t get why you’re trolling when this process is so difficult for so many people...
:corny:

If riding out the WL process isn’t dramatic and heart-wrenching enough, we can now add trolling to the list. But that’s not all, folks-next week, we’ll have Grey’s Anatomy playing out live on SDN! (Sarcasm aside...can we PLEASE not make this process more painful than it already is? pls thanks)

P.S. @Shade1111 you are truly living up to your name my dude. The hero we don’t deserve.

Last edited:
  • Haha
If riding out the WL process isn’t dramatic and heart-wrenching enough, we can now add trolling to the list. :boom:

That’s not all, folks-next week, we’ll have Grey’s Anatomy playing out live on SDN! (Sarcasm aside...can we PLEASE not make this process more painful than it already is? pls thanks)

P.S. @Shade1111 you are truly living up to your name my dude. The hero we don’t deserve.
Next thing we know, this thread is going to turn into a matchmaking forum so we can all find our McDreamys.

Haha I’m a man of the people!! I also just can’t stand it when someone is misguiding others and being dishonest to their potential future classmates/colleagues. We’re all in this together and all working towards the same noble goal!

Reactions: 15 users
Troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll

You’re not funny at all. Who has time on their hand to go to different forums just to lie about getting into schools? That’s so twisted for the people waiting, and immature. Lol god knows what you’ll be faking if*** you become a doctor.

Reactions: 13 users
And by unanimous decision....... Memelord wins!!!

Let’s all take a moment to remember memelord... the one who probably thought he was destined for moderator status but flew too close to the sun

• Haha