2021-2022 CA Northstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LMAO. CNU will get their accreditation eventually.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
LMAO. CNU will get their accreditation eventually. Mark my word kiddo.
this comment is very misleading for current applicants and prospective applicants who come across this thread. you are quoting the same exact phrase that CNU administration was saying back in 2018 and 2019 regarding receiving full accreditation yet as of 2022, CNUCOM is the only medical school in the entire country on probation

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if interviews are still happening here lol

uhhh just got an interview invite? for May 20? I will be declining but I hope it goes to someone who needs it!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
withdraw my A, hopefully it goes to one of you guys

Members don't see this ad :)
just got an ii
Good luck. By the way, don’t listen to these neigh sayers. I’ve been holding off saying anything to counter the neighsayers’ comments about this school. I personally have supervised many students from this school as well as at UC Davis who have done electives at my hospital. My colleagues who trained at Stanford, UCSF, UCLA supervise medical students from this program and these students rotate and do 4th year electives at various med centers in the area. I graduated from a top tier med school. These students at this school excel in their STEPS scores. They get accepted to good, solid residency programs—take a look at their match list for this year. Basically, if you have no other med schools to go to, this one is remains a good options. When all is said and done, where you go for med school is not how your skills in medicine are determined. It’s where you end up doing your training. Better than going to any Caribbean medical school at this point. This school is looked at positively by the residency training programs that I know. I interview medical school applicants at our residency training program and believe me we much rather take a student from this program than from a Caribbean medical school.

just got an ii
This is right out of their original playbook.
Within weeks of provisional accreditation (and using PayPal and fax instead of AMCAS) they admitted their first class.
This method was particularly efficient since it was so late into Summer that the only ones who responded hadn't been accepted anywhere. This saves the trouble of interviewing students who would drop the acceptance as soon as they were accepted elsewhere. Anyone who responds at this late date, by definition, has little alternative.

Reactions: 4 users
Within weeks of provisional accreditation (and using PayPal and fax instead of AMCAS) they admitted their first class.
This method was particularly efficient since it was so late into Summer that the only ones who responded hadn't been accepted anywhere. This saves the trouble of interviewing students who would drop the acceptance as soon as they were accepted elsewhere. Anyone who responds at this late date, by definition, has little alternative.
Except now, given the publicity surrounding their accreditation situation, isn't the better alternative a DO school or a reapplication, rather than taking a shot that they will become fully accredited by 2026, or that schools will accept transfers from CNU if LCME forces them to close? Probation cannot last indefinitely, can it? Presumably this will be resolved one way or the other in the next two years, no?

To be fair, that was probably not a foreseeable possibility when they first opened, but it's out there for all of us to see right now!

Agreed. I mean no shade at all to any of those attending this school, I get it that an acceptance is an acceptance. But this shady money-hungry behavior should be completely expected of a *for-profit* medical school...

Except now, given the publicity surrounding their accreditation situation, isn't the better alternative a DO school or a reapplication, rather than taking a shot that they will become fully accredited by 2026, or that schools will accept transfers from CNU if LCME forces them to close? Probation cannot last indefinitely, can it? Presumably this will be resolved one way or the other in the next two years, no?

To be fair, that was probably not a foreseeable possibility when they first opened, but it's out there for all of us to see right now!
Definitely max your chances of getting in by applying to as many DO schools as you can. DO schools and MD schools are pretty much the same now a days. Residency training programs treat DO med students equally as MD applicants now, at least in the programs I’ve been involved with. It just boils down to your passion for medicine. Not everyone can or will be able to go to med school, but I feel that if it’s your passion and you really want to be a doctor then take every available route you can, including going to Cal Northstate. I really think they will eventually get accredited. THey may be the bottom of the barrel when it comes to med school, but at for some,it may be the only way they fulfill their dream.

Good luck. By the way, don’t listen to these neigh sayers. I’ve been holding off saying anything to counter the neighsayers’ comments about this school. I personally have supervised many students from this school as well as at UC Davis who have done electives at my hospital. My colleagues who trained at Stanford, UCSF, UCLA supervise medical students from this program and these students rotate and do 4th year electives at various med centers in the area. I graduated from a top tier med school. These students at this school excel in their STEPS scores. They get accepted to good, solid residency programs—take a look at their match list for this year. Basically, if you have no other med schools to go to, this one is remains a good options. When all is said and done, where you go for med school is not how your skills in medicine are determined. It’s where you end up doing your training. Better than going to any Caribbean medical school at this point. This school is looked at positively by the residency training programs that I know. I interview medical school applicants at our residency training program and believe me we much rather take a student from this program than from a Caribbean medical school.
Calling people “neighsayers” because they provide statistics/evidence to warn incoming students about a medical school on probation and that is at risk for closing down in 2 years is not only inappropriate but also irresponsible for someone in your position. Below, I have referenced direct statistics from the NRMP and a thread with referenced sources that shows CNUCOM’s recent probation status will negatively impact CNU medical students, the surrounding medical community, and negatively impact where they interview/match:

According to the 2021 NRMP Program Director Survey, medical school accreditation status is a factor that many program directors consider. Feel free to look at pages such as 21,32,186 etc…. In the specialties of plastic surgery, anesthesiology, diagnostic radiology, psychiatry, child neurology, transitional year, and family medicine, around 46%-62% of residency program directors use medical school accreditation status as a factor when deciding who to interview. The average for all specialities is that 44% of residency program directors use medical school accreditation status as a factor in choosing who to interview (page 10):

Source of NRMP Program Director Survey: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2021-PD-Survey-Report-for-WWW.pdf

Source with 11 pieces of evidence/statistics on why CNUCOM should be avoided and is a bad corporation for educational purposes: California Northstate University College of Medicine(CNUCOM): Avoid this school at all costs!

Last edited:
  • Love
Calling people “neighsayers” because they provide statistics/evidence to warn incoming students about a medical school on probation and that is at risk for closing down in 2 years is not only inappropriate but also irresponsible for someone in your position. Below, I have referenced direct statistics from the NRMP and a thread with referenced sources that shows CNUCOM’s recent probation status will negatively impact CNU medical students, the surrounding medical community, and negatively impact where they interview/match:

According to the 2021 NRMP Program Director Survey, medical school accreditation status is a factor that many program directors consider. Feel free to look at pages such as 21,32,186 etc…. In the specialties of plastic surgery, anesthesiology, diagnostic radiology, psychiatry, child neurology, transitional year, and family medicine, around 46%-62% of residency program directors use medical school accreditation status as a factor when deciding who to interview. The average for all specialities is that 44% of residency program directors use medical school accreditation status as a factor in choosing who to interview (page 10):

Source of NRMP Program Director Survey: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2021-PD-Survey-Report-for-WWW.pdf

Source with 11 pieces of evidence/statistics on why CNUCOM should be avoided and is a bad corporation for educational purposes: California Northstate University College of Medicine(CNUCOM): Avoid this school at all costs!
Bottom line is: do these schools allow their graduate to match into good, solid residency programs and so far, the answer with CNUCOM is "Yes." Check out their match list.

Bottom line is: do these schools allow their graduate to match into good, solid residency programs and so far, the answer with CNUCOM is "Yes." Check out their match list.
Has anybody even applied to residency from the school since it was denied full accreditation?

Surely PDs who are aware of this (I would assume many in California but maybe not many outside of the state) will be more wary to take Cal northstate students.

Has anybody even applied to residency from the school since it was denied full accreditation?

Surely PDs who are aware of this (I would assume many in California but maybe not many outside of the state) will be more wary to take Cal northstate students.
Yes this year (March match day) they matched 98%.

Has anyone gotten a reply from their May 6th interviews? Or interviews around that time?

Yes this year (March match day) they matched 98%.
No. CNUCOM was placed on probation on March 1, 2022 which is after when CNU medical students applied and interviewed at residency programs during the 2021-2022 application cycle. Thus, residency PDs were not aware of the probation issue during the 2021-2022 application cycle, but they will be for the upcoming 2022-2023 residency cycle.

I would recommend that.
What about the MD blacklist? Would denying this acceptance to reapply be justified? Suppose one also has new items to add on an application this year: publication, stronger LORs, research at Stanford, job at level I trauma center. Stats would be the same though: 3.66, 513

What about the MD blacklist? Would denying this acceptance to reapply be justified? Suppose one also has new items to add on an application this year: publication, stronger LORs, research at Stanford, job at level I trauma center. Stats would be the same though: 3.66, 513
Depends on the school, but the same concerns about the judgment of a candidate who applied to a school they were unwilling to attend would remain.

Under the circumstances, I would risk it, but all schools might not see it the same way, since you had ample opportunity to withdraw after the probation was announced and before you received the A. Unless you received the A before then. Judging by the activity on this thread, though, it does not look like too many people fall into that category.

Last edited:
FYI: there really isn’t a list anymore since the traffic rule changes. Obviously I don’t recommend turning down an acceptance unless it’s to a for profit school but that shouldn’t really be a huge concern.

Some schools ask on secondaries but it would be easy to explain

“I declined since I was worried about the schools accreditation”

So, would you accept this school or go Caribbean?
Neither. Work on improving your application and reapply if those are your only two present options. DO is also far preferable to either.

Applicants, some with GPA's <3 were being contacted even after the first day of the new school year to achieve the objective of enrolling a class of 118.

• Wow