2021-2022 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

IS, no secondary yet (verified before app release 06/25)

Anyone get a secondary yet?

IS, no secondary yet (verified before app release 06/25)

Anyone get a secondary yet?
Nope. I took a look at the 2019-2020 sdn thread, and it seems like the first secondaries came out 53 days after primary apps were sent to schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IS, secondary received.

@wysdoc

Here are the prompts (all 1,500 character limit):

1. Describe a time when you were faced with problems or stresses that tested your coping skills. What did you do?

2. Provide us with a specific example of something you did which helped build enthusiasm in others.

3. How would you describe yourself in terms of your ability to work as a member of a team?

4. Describe the last time you were criticized by a peer or supervisor. How did you handle it?

5. What does it mean to be emotionally intelligent? How have you effectively used your skills in emotional intelligence in the past?

6. Give an example of when you had to work with someone who was difficult to get along with. Why was this person difficult? How did you handle that person?

7. What would be the best example that shows you are a person of integrity?

8. If given the opportunity to attend medical school, where would you see yourself in ten years?

9. Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class?

Last edited:
IS, secondary received.

1. Describe a time when you were faced with problems or stresses that tested your coping skills. What did you do?

2. Provide us with a specific example of something you did which helped build enthusiasm in others.

3. How would you describe yourself in terms of your ability to work as a member of a team?

4. Describe the last time you were criticized by a peer or supervisor. How did you handle it?

5. What does it mean to be emotionally intelligent? How have you effectively used your skills in emotional intelligence in the past?

6. Give an example of when you had to work with someone who was difficult to get along with. Why was this person difficult? How did you handle that person?

8. If given the opportunity to attend medical school, where would you see yourself in ten years?

9. Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class?
Ur lying. Why so many 😭

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
+1 IS secondary received

Last edited:
There's a subtext in the application that states "If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below." Is this only referring to the first question?

There's a subtext in the application that states "If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below." Is this only referring to the first question?
I have a feeling the "first question" is actually supposed to be two because they were separate from last year's prompts.

Reactions: 1 users
Um, what's up with this school's MSAR page? Surely they don't actually interview 102% of their applicants, right?

Anyone else OOS still waiting for secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
IS, secondary received.

@wysdoc

Is the 1,500 character limit including or excluding spaces?

im very happy with my responses to this secondary. i hope i convince them. i have a 3.2 GPA (3.5 with grade replacements) and have a 514 mcat. I do, however, have an IA, criminal background, and am a white male which doesnt do me any favors. hope i can get in.

Reactions: 2 users
just got a "secondary received" email -- "your application is now under review for consideration to receive an interview." I'm assuming this is just a delayed "complete email," no?

just got a "secondary received" email -- "your application is now under review for consideration to receive an interview." I'm assuming this is just a delayed "complete email," no?
I believe so, yes. I received that email about 6 days after I submitted my secondary app.

Do they screen? I haven't gotten a secondary yet and I submitted primary after verification a while ago

any oos with a secondary?
I’m OOS from Arizona so close by. 3.64 GPA and 518 MCAT. They must really not want OOS cuz I haven’t received even a secondary either. I even called them and they encouraged me to apply so I don’t get it. My friend goes here so I’m disappointed.

I’m OOS from Arizona so close by. 3.64 GPA and 518 MCAT. They must really not want OOS cuz I haven’t received even a secondary either. I even called them and they encouraged me to apply so I don’t get it. My friend goes here so I’m disappointed.
I spent the entire past week writing all 9 of their essays so I'll be very disappointed too. I'm from Ohio so not even close by, I was always wondering why a private school had a 85%+ IS matriculation rate but I guess its because they don't send out secondaries to OOS. Good luck to both of us though.

IS but no secondary received. App sent out 7/22 so fingers still crossed. Low gpa, slightly above avg mcat, so not sure if i got screened out or not

I currently live OOS but I grew up in Riverside (all through high school). Still no secondary! GPA 3.4 MCAT 510

Just submitted the secondary phew....does anyone know when they start sending out IIs?

I have not received a secondary yet either. IS, 509, sgpa 3.69, cgpa 3.77. Verified 7/18.

Are they not sending secondaries to OOS this year?
i think they just screen very thoroughly. I'm IS and didn't get one yet and I reached out and they said they are still reviewing and screenings apps.

i think they just screen very thoroughly. I'm IS and didn't get one yet and I reached out and they said they are still reviewing and screenings apps.
same here, i called them yesterday and they said they are still reviewing primary apps before sending secondaries :/ I pre-wrote so I'm ready to send it hopefully when I get the secondary link

Got a secondary, primary was verified first week of August

was verified in early august and just received secondary. IS!
Those questions tho O__o

OOS, submitted early June, and still not a word. GPA 3.74 and 511 MCAT. honestly they must be doing some intense screening
I see on MSAR, they only accepted 3 OOS. So I guess they prefer CA. But I'm from CA, complete July 30 and still no secondary tho, so IDK.