-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 UT Rio Grande Valley
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
hopefulpremed11
Full Member
Last year I received an interview invite to this school in the middle of December and interviewed a few days before Christmas. From what I remember from last cycle, they interviewed all the way into January.Good evening all, I was wondering if this school is still scheduling interviews? Or if they given most out already, thanks in advance!
Congrats! Mind sharing stats and II date?I just prematched!! First A!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yourfuturesurgeon
New Member
Thank you so much!! 510, 4.00 GPACongrats! Mind sharing stats and II date?
ParadisIsland
New Member
Anyone from last year know if they actually send rejection emails? Or is this just another one of those if you don’t hear anything post interview then just assume.
Last edited:
Last year most heard of their acceptances through the Match, with few pre-matches offered. 8 were accepted early decision in EY 2021.Anyone from last year know if they actually send rejection emails? Or is this just another one of those if you don’t hear anything then just assume.
Last year some people who didn't match were placed on a WL about a week after match day.
This year there is a new med school dean, so the way things are handled might change. I can't predict.
Generally for TMDSAS, if you have not interviewed at a school by Feb 18th, the day students have to rank the schools they have interviewed at, it is a rejection.
If you don’t mind, when did you interviewed? TYIAI just prematched!! First A!!!
forclosure
Full Member
Starting to feel hopeless.. interviewed more than two months ago with still no response.
yourfuturesurgeon
New Member
October 13th!If you don’t mind, when did you interviewed? TYIA
gui0722
New Member
this is so awesome! Congrats!!I just prematched!! First A!!!
ParadisIsland
New Member
SameStarting to feel hopeless.. interviewed more than two months ago with still no response.
I interviewed on Oct 12 and haven’t heard anything back. Does that mean I won’t get a pre match?October 13th!
Prematch window goes all the way to January 31. You can absolutely match in TMDSAS with no prematch offers at all. There will also be WL action at this school after match day.I interviewed on Oct 12 and haven’t heard anything back. Does that mean I won’t get a pre match?
So if someone interviewed after you and got a prematch and not you, is there still a chance for a prematch or just regular match at this pointPrematch window goes all the way to January 31. You can absolutely match in TMDSAS with no prematch offers at all. There will also be WL action at this school after match day.
BothSo if someone interviewed after you and got a prematch and not you, is there still a chance for a prematch or just regular match at this point
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yay thanks!Both
kpadilla91
New Member
Does anyone know if you can still receive a pre-match offer if you haven't done any ranking yet on TMDSAS?
Anyone who has already interviewed could be eligible for a pre-match offer.Does anyone know if you can still receive a pre-match offer if you haven't done any ranking yet on TMDSAS?
Applicants are free to switch around their rankings in the TMDSAS portal as many times as they want between now and the ranking deadline on February 18th. Be sure to hit the submit button of your final list before 5pm on the 18th.
Schools cannot view your list in your portal and will not know what order you ranked them in.
TMDSAS system takes those rankings from each applicant and processes them along with preference info from the schools to come up with a Match school. On Match Day you will end up with 1 school, or "no match."
For a full explanation of match & pre-match there are some good videos on Texas Health Education Service YouTube channel.
kpadilla91
New Member
Thank you very much! I appreciate the response and details! 😊Anyone who has already interviewed could be eligible for a pre-match offer.
Applicants are free to switch around their rankings in the TMDSAS portal as many times as they want between now and the ranking deadline on February 18th. Be sure to hit the submit button of your final list before 5pm on the 18th.
Schools cannot view your list in your portal and will not know what order you ranked them in.
TMDSAS system takes those rankings from each applicant and processes them along with preference info from the schools to come up with a Match school. On Match Day you will end up with 1 school, or "no match."
For a full explanation of match & pre-match there are some good videos on Texas Health Education Service YouTube channel.
yellowmellow147
New Member
Is there no opening presentation for the interview day? All I see is my 2 specific interview times.
They don’t seem to have those presentations this app cycleIs there no opening presentation for the interview day? All I see is my 2 specific interview times.
There’s none. You’ll later receive an email invite to join the Facebook group that has a couple videos on curriculum and a welcome from the dean.Is there no opening presentation for the interview day? All I see is my 2 specific interview times.
When did you interview? And did they send out emails on weekends?Prematched!!
gui0722
New Member
I interviewed 10/22 and received an email today at 1 pm. I didn’t expect to get an email on a Saturday to be honestWhen did you interview? And did they send out emails on weekends?
Yammile Vargas
New Member
Pre-matched!!!!! Cannot believe life right now.
hopefulpremed11
Full Member
Congrats! When did you interview?Pre-matched!!!!! Cannot believe life right now.
Yammile Vargas
New Member
Thank you!!! I interviewed on 10/27 and the prematch offer came in on 11/20.Congrats! When did you interview?
Congratulations! I’m so anxious about my application lolThank you!!! I interviewed on 10/27 and the prematch offer came in on 11/20.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!!!Thank you!!! I interviewed on 10/27 and the prematch offer came in on 11/20.
Yammile Vargas
New Member
I totally understand. My heart would stop with every email notification. Hang in there!!!!Congratulations! I’m so anxious about my application lol
forclosure
Full Member
Would it be unprofessional to call and ask for an update post-interview? Only because I got an offer from another program but UTRGV is currently my number one choice, and deposits are due soon. I interviewed mid-September.
If you call, you will just get whatever secretary is answering the phone, and they won't give you any information, even if they knew the information.Would it be unprofessional to call and ask for an update post-interview? Only because I got an offer from another program but UTRGV is currently my number one choice, and deposits are due soon. I interviewed mid-September.
Making a deposit on your current offer the day before the deadline is the best you can do for now. If you get another offer you prefer you might lose that deposit, which may be worth it to you should you get accepted somewhere else later.
forclosure
Full Member
Thank you for your advice!If you call, you will just get whatever secretary is answering the phone, and they won't give you any information, even if they knew the information.
Making a deposit on your current offer the day before the deadline is the best you can do for now. If you get another offer you prefer you might lose that deposit, which may be worth it to you should you get accepted somewhere else later.
Is this a 2k deposit or 200?Thank you for your advice!
Yes you would. They have given out only a few this year though, not sure if they will do more or not. Remember the class size is only 55, and some spots were filled by ED applicants.If my application was reviewed (the committee met that day) on 11/11 would I not be eligible for a prematch by now?
Yes I am not eligible, or yes I am?Yes you would. They have given out only a few this year though, not sure if they will do more or not. Remember the class size is only 55, and some spots were filled by ED applicants.
Yes if you have interviewed, you are eligible for a pre-match offer.Yes I am not eligible, or yes I am?
Most TMDSAS applicants end up getting their acceptances on Match Day, though. Rank all the schools where you interviewed in the order you like before the rank order deadline of February 18th. Even if you only got 1 interview, rank it number one!
scaredfirstgen
New Member
Just received an II from them. Any needed information/advice? Is it MMI or a traditional interview?
wecawrecka
Full Member
II received, TEXAS FOREVER (IS)
You will have 2 30 minute interviews, 1 to 1.Just received an II from them. Any needed information/advice? Is it MMI or a traditional interview?
Scroll the thread for people’s comments.
Like the post previous to mine said, it is two interviews (30 min each). One interview is open (interviewer has your file and knows everything in it), so make sure you know your application inside and out. The other interview is closed (interviewer knows nothing about you), so just be yourself and have a conversation with them.Just received an II from them. Any needed information/advice? Is it MMI or a traditional interview?
The only preparing I did was googling common medical school interview questions and having a response or at least a direction I’d want to take for that specific question. That and reviewing my app. Good luck on your interview! And remember you are there to have a conversation, just relax and be yourself 🙂
yourfuturesurgeon
New Member
thank you so much!this is so awesome! Congrats!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Prematch time window goes until January 31. With a small class size of 55, not sure how many more prematches they will offer.Does anyone know if they’re still giving out prematches or just match at this point? Thanks!
If you like the school, show your love in your rank list!
For those who have interviewed and attended the "Thursday Ambassador Tours" of the campus, how was the overall experience? What did you get to see and learn?
Hdoran
Full Member
How do you know the dates the committee meets?If my application was reviewed (the committee met that day) on 11/11 would I not be eligible for a prematch by now?
Last edited: