2021 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hey everyone! I just found this forum lol. I was matched (on May 21) to Itasca, IL and my assignment is maternal and child health: early childhood development. If any PHAPers (of any year) were placed in Itasca or even Chicago, let me know! I’d love to connect. I’m also from NYC if anyone who matched there has questions.
 
To anyone who was matched already, have you been contacted by HR yet? In the email it said it would happen in 2-3 weeks, but they never specified how (phone, email, eFMS, etc.).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To anyone who was matched already, have you been contacted by HR yet? In the email it said it would happen in 2-3 weeks, but they never specified how (phone, email, eFMS, etc.).
I haven't. I've been wondering that as well, so I've just been looking out for calls and checking email.
 
To anyone who was matched already, have you been contacted by HR yet? In the email it said it would happen in 2-3 weeks, but they never specified how (phone, email, eFMS, etc.).
I had to call in last Thursday to change my email address because my college deactivated my email without notifying me. The Helpdesk person said that HR will most likely send info via email, so it was pertinent for me to update my email.

Otherwise, I have not received the official letter from HR or anything. Based on past forums, it seems that the wait can even be 4 weeks long.
 
Hi everybody!
I just got a matching email too! I got matched to Minneapolis, MN (my first choice!!) for adolescent/school-based sexually transmitted disease prevention. Would any current PHAPers or future PHAPers also matched in this area like to chat about what it would entail/your thoughts on it? This wasn't one of my choices and I currently work in clinical research and love it so I am SO conflicted and would just love to know more! 🙂
My insta is gracejch if anyone wants to connect !!!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I’m currently a 2020 PHAP located in Phoenix. If anyone has gotten matched here please feel free to reach out! ☺️
 
Y’all not me finally recovering from the five stages of denial/grief only to receive a host site match at my first choice of location🤡🤡🤡🤡 somebody please pinch me🤡 I’ll be in Honolulu, HI at the quarantine station working w Other Infectious Diseases! Hmu if any of y’all are locals and/or are also matched in HI! I need friends LOL
 
How many of the people that were accepted have public health degrees or experience? Just curious if they accepted people that did not.
I don’t have my MPH! I majored in International Studies and Global Health, and just recently graduated. But I plan on getting my MPH in the next couple years!
 
Hi everyone,

I called the office this morning, and she confirmed with me that everyone will definitely be receiving an email either way. She said if the email is from PHAP you got in, if the email is from HR you did not. She said that they are still going through the process, and to continue to be patient until the end of June. It's also possible that they may make final matches going into July and August. So if haven't heard anything yet, like myself, continue to be patient and proud at how far we've come in this process!
 
Hi everyone,

I called the office this morning, and she confirmed with me that everyone will definitely be receiving an email either way. She said if the email is from PHAP you got in, if the email is from HR you did not. She said that they are still going through the process, and to continue to be patient until the end of June. It's also possible that they may make final matches going into July and August. So if haven't heard anything yet, like myself, continue to be patient and proud at how far we've come in this process!
Thank you for sharing this info @16lovalloc!

I think that the "matching" may be the most tedious part of the whole process (especially for impatient people like me lol). Last year I actually got an offer in early July and I even heard about others who got an offer or rematched around late July early August.
 
hi everyone! I got matched to Kentucky which was not on my list at all so I'm just wondering if anyone else got matched there or if anyone is currently there and has any thoughts. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats to everyone so far!!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi everyone! I got matched to Kentucky which was not on my list at all so I'm just wondering if anyone else got matched there or if anyone is currently there and has any thoughts. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats to everyone so far!!
Me too, in Frankfort, KY. Email me davisme1998@gmail and we can chat! I need someone to process this with lol
 
Hi everyone! I got matched to Frankfort, Ky for Opiod/ Prescription Drug Overdose. If anyone knows anything about what this job will entail I would be SO grateful to get a bit more info. This topic is a little out of my comfort zone so I want to have a bit more information before I accept.
 
Hi all! I got matched with Viral Hepatitis and COVID-19 in Little Rock, AR. I just graduated with my MPH in Global Epidemiology from the University of Michigan.

I definitely had given up when I got the email last week. Don’t give up!! And congrats to all the new associates!
 
It's in Sarasota, FL and working on Community Health Improvement Planning (CHIP)/Community Health Assessments (CHA). It was in the email; I couldn't find it in the portal though.
I work at the Sarasota DOH and was a 2016 PHAP in Kentucky. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about PHAP (though things have changed plenty) or the Sarasota area.
 
Hi everyone! I got matched to Frankfort, Ky for Opiod/ Prescription Drug Overdose. If anyone knows anything about what this job will entail I would be SO grateful to get a bit more info. This topic is a little out of my comfort zone so I want to have a bit more information before I accept.
What are you wanting to know exactly, as I worked in KY previously. There is a high rate of overdoses in the state and KY has done a great job with getting harm reduction and syringe exchange programs at health departments across the state (BRDHD and Lexington-Fayette HD are 2 of the programs). You can find more about work being done https://chfs.ky.gov/agencies/dbhdid/Pages/kore.aspx I will also reach out and see if I still have a contact at the state, thought I don't know if you will be at the State Level or at County HD.

Also a bit of data about overdoses in KY http://www.mc.uky.edu/kiprc/pubs/overdose/mortality-dashboard.html
 
Hi everybody, it's me again. I was just wondering if anybody had gotten the offer, said that they would only accept with a different region/subject, and then gotten a new and better offer? Just trying to weigh my odds of getting another offer that I would enjoy more vs just getting forgotten about. I love my current job so much and I'm not 100% satisfied with this offer so they're both equally great opportunities and I don't know what to do!

Alternatively, if you know what "adolescent/school-based sexually transmitted disease prevention" position would look like, please please please reach out!!!
 
Hi everybody, it's me again. I was just wondering if anybody had gotten the offer, said that they would only accept with a different region/subject, and then gotten a new and better offer? Just trying to weigh my odds of getting another offer that I would enjoy more vs just getting forgotten about. I love my current job so much and I'm not 100% satisfied with this offer so they're both equally great opportunities and I don't know what to do!

Alternatively, if you know what "adolescent/school-based sexually transmitted disease prevention" position would look like, please please please reach out!!!
Hey gracejch,

I didn't even get an opportunity to say I would be interested in a different region/subject. I only had a "yes" or "no", and with the "no" I would just have to explain why I was declining the offer. I have a feeling that they are just going to go down the line, as I'm pretty sure this is already the second batch of invites. If you love your current job, it might not be worth leaving for something that you are uncertain about. Just my personal opinion. I don't have any information on your topic, so I'm sorry I can't help further!
 
What are you wanting to know exactly, as I worked in KY previously. There is a high rate of overdoses in the state and KY has done a great job with getting harm reduction and syringe exchange programs at health departments across the state (BRDHD and Lexington-Fayette HD are 2 of the programs). You can find more about work being done https://chfs.ky.gov/agencies/dbhdid/Pages/kore.aspx I will also reach out and see if I still have a contact at the state, thought I don't know if you will be at the State Level or at County HD.

Also a bit of data about overdoses in KY http://www.mc.uky.edu/kiprc/pubs/overdose/mortality-dashboard.html
Great to connect and thank you for those resources! Can you email me [email protected] ? I have a couple follow up questions.
 
Hi everybody, it's me again. I was just wondering if anybody had gotten the offer, said that they would only accept with a different region/subject, and then gotten a new and better offer? Just trying to weigh my odds of getting another offer that I would enjoy more vs just getting forgotten about. I love my current job so much and I'm not 100% satisfied with this offer so they're both equally great opportunities and I don't know what to do!

Alternatively, if you know what "adolescent/school-based sexually transmitted disease prevention" position would look like, please please please reach out!!!
I got my offer and declined it. Although the location of San Antonio was great, I was not trying to move my husband and kids. Especially since my husband has a federal job out here in California. I stated that I wanted something out in Southern California so I’m just hoping that someone declines their offer here.
 
Hey everyone! Congrats again to those who already got matched 😊 I know we’re all eagerly waiting for that official offer from HR.

I just called the PHAP help desk to check on the status. The woman I spoke with said it will probably be another week until we hear anything. She also mentioned it will most likely be both a phone call and an email with documents attached.

Hope this info is helpful in regards to starting to plan things moving forward!
 
Hey everyone! I just found this forum and I was matched to Concord, NH. If anyone was placed in New Hampshire or from the area, let me know! I would love to connect.
 
I got Lawrenceville, GA to work on TB Prevention!!! GA was my second pick for location under FL (I was secretly hoping I would get GA) but Tuberculosis wasn't in my top 5 which I was a bit bummed about. Feeling super blessed atm, congrats to everyone else that got matched!! If anyone knows anything about Lawrenceville/the general area, please hmu!
Hi, I'm one of the current PHAPs doing TB in Lawrenceville! Message me!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mine was a 404 area code, so Atlanta. It was the official verbal acceptance offer for a matched location, salary, pay grade, any COLA for location, with follow-up information regarding the next step. this includes getting official transcripts (due no later than June 28th to a specific email address) together along with other things to be covered in the email.
 
For those who got calls today- when were you matched? I’m wondering if they’re doing all the calls today or just the first wave