2021 VIRMP MATCH!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else have a first choice in their head for months and then interview last minute for another program and feel completely torn? 😭😂

This is happening to my friend who is applying for residencies and I am really trying to be unbiased but I want her to come back here (which was originally her solid first choice) :arghh:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else have a first choice in their head for months and then interview last minute for another program and feel completely torn? 😭😂

Lol yupp... Planning to submit my rank order list after my last interview on Thursday. I'm pretty happy with it but for some reason I'm just scared to hit the finalize button lol.

What schools have you all been contacted by? Trying to finalize my ranking order and would love to know if I am even still in the race with some of these programs. I applied to only academic rotating internships.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any current/recent students or interns at Penn who wouldn't mind answering a few questions? If so will shoot you a PM!

Are there any current/recent students or interns at Penn who wouldn't mind answering a few questions? If so will shoot you a PM!
I’m a second year. I can probably answer a good number of your questions or at least give you the contact info of someone who could better help.

Ranked! Such a big weight off my chest - the decision is out of my hands now! I was so torn between 2 but then knew I'd regret not trying for one of them so put it first! Then if I end up at #2 that's also amazing!
Good luck with your rankings guys! Wherever you end up it will be amazing!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I just ranked!!! And I have the metaphorical gastric ulcers to prove it (I need someone to scope me and then get me some banamine and sucralfate).

Match is officially out of my hands! Fingers crossed!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I just ranked!!! And I have the metaphorical gastric ulcers to prove it (I need someone to scope me and then get me some banamine and sucralfate).

Match is officially out of my hands! Fingers crossed!
Feeling those gastric ulcers forming too 😂
I feel better having submitted it and feel like I made the right choice but still stressed!

I just ranked last night as well! Glad it's out of my hands now, but I really want these next couple of weeks to FLY! My next block I'll be doing lab animal things so that should really help since I'll be doing something I love and thinking I may finally be in the field :)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
In case this helps someone else - I wasn't sure if I should delete a program off my rank order list if I no longer wanted to go there or just leave it as "rank" in the drop down menu and Virmp replied to me with "You will not be able to finalize your list with any unranked programs. You should delete any programs that you do not wish to rank."

Good luck everyone - this is definitely a stressful process but it's great to have this page to talk about things!

Just hopped on the "finalized rankings" train! I'm with yall - so simultaneously exciting, terrifying, and freeing haha

GOOD LUCK everyone - really pumped to hear where we all end up!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've had 2 separate dreams now where I've forgotten to actually rank and I wake up in a panic and double check. 2 weeks!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Ranking gave me no stress relief lol! I feel like i did not impress my number one choice in my interview so we'll see how it goes... you know that feeling where it didnt go badly it just didnt go...goodly :bang:

I ended up withdrawing. Took a research position instead. Will still be able to get LAM training with this position but will have a different focus. Good luck everyone!

Ranking gave me no stress relief lol! I feel like i did not impress my number one choice in my interview so we'll see how it goes... you know that feeling where it didnt go badly it just didnt go...goodly :bang:
Programs have a little bit longer to finalize their rank lists - if you don't feel like you made it clear they're your first choice and it would give you peace of mind to send them an email, you still have time!

I wish I knew how many other applicants the programs I applied to interviewed. Mizzou was great cuz we got to meet everyone who was interviewing. Davis and Oregon I have no idea. I would really love to stay in Davis, my parents own the house I live in so it’d be nice to not have to move 😅 if that doesn’t happen, anyone have any input on how matching somewhere else affected their romantic relationship? (Not married) I really don’t want my relationship to die 😢

Programs have a little bit longer to finalize their rank lists - if you don't feel like you made it clear they're your first choice and it would give you peace of mind to send them an email, you still have time!

Is this not frowned upon if you email a program this since it's all supposed to be confidential?

Is this not frowned upon if you email a program this since it's all supposed to be confidential?
From my understanding its okay to let programs know that you are very interested in attending and that they are your top choice, as long as they truly are. It *may* make them feel more comfortable ranking you if they might get a guaranteed match and not have to worry about empty spots in their program. However this may not be useful in programs that have a really high number of applicants. I sent a thank you email that expressed my strong interest in the program, but did not exaclty say "this program is my number one choice", honestly because after my interview it sounded a little desparate. If I had felt that the interview went well I would have though

This definitely happens for residencies, not sure if it happens much for internships. Applicants definitely email after interviews thanking the program for their time and expressing high interest in the program, some will come outright and say a place is their #1 choice. I sent an email to my program last year as well telling them they were my #1. I think it can make a program feel good about an applicant also if they are equally interested in them from the other side and feel confident that they will get that person.

This definitely happens for residencies, not sure if it happens much for internships. We have gotten a number of emails from applicants after their interviews thanking us for our time and expressing their high interest in the program, some have come outright and said we are their #1 choice. I sent an email to my program last year as well telling them they were my #1. I think it can make a program feel good about an applicant also if they are equally interested in them from the other side and feel confident that they will get that person.

So should I email my #1 and say this? I emailed each interviewer separately after saying I was impressed with the program, etc and some replied back saying they would rank me highly and someone said they hope I land there but maybe email the program director and let them know?

So should I email my #1 and say this? I emailed each interviewer separately after saying I was impressed with the program, etc and some replied back saying they would rank me highly and someone said they hope I land there but maybe email the program director and let them know?

I don't think it would hurt! Especially if you got good feedback from them as well.

I don't think it would hurt! Especially if you got good feedback from them as well.
Do you think it would be too little too late at this point? I thanked them after my interview and said that I hope I have the chance to work with them in the future. Not sure if that’s not enough and I should be like you’re my number 1!! Especially since I’m literally on rotation with them for my second time right now 😬 so it might be awkward

To offer another perspective, I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to tell programs what you're ranking them. It may not hurt, but it also may seem overeager or even disingenuous, and honestly unasked for information that feels... outside the spirit of the process to share. Programs aren't supposed to be asking applicants to share their ranking lists (nor should they be) and freely offering that information might make other applicants feel pressured to do the same, which may impact how places rank the applicants and it suddenly becomes very messy. It also may turn some places against you (not like in an "immediately throw out your application" way but more of a "whoa this person is fishing for info on our ranking, sketch" way) depending on how it comes across. Naturally in a conversation with the people? Might go over well. As an unasked for out of the blue email message? More questionable.

Personally, I did not share my rankings with any programs (until after the match). I never felt the need to and honestly didn't know how my final rank order list was going to pan out until a few days before it was due. If you established a good connection with a place then they should already know how you feel about their program.

At this point I'd just say you have to let the process do what it was designed to do and don't overthink it or stress about it.

This is just all my personal opinion, but I don't like the idea of pseudo-(or actual) pressure to get applicants to share their rankings. It feels like trying to cheat the system and what is the point of having the match process if people are just trying to get around it? It also feels unfair to the applicants who don't want to share their top choice or maybe haven't figured out even what it is yet or have a couple that they're debating between.

I'm rambling now but all this to say, don't feel like this (emailing your top choice to tell them they're your top choice) is something you have to or even should be doing.

Reactions: 9 users
To offer another perspective, I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to tell programs what you're ranking them. It may not hurt, but it also may seem overeager or even disingenuous, and honestly unasked for information that feels... outside the spirit of the process to share. Programs aren't supposed to be asking applicants to share their ranking lists (nor should they be) and freely offering that information might make other applicants feel pressured to do the same, which may impact how places rank the applicants and it suddenly becomes very messy. It also may turn some places against you (not like in an "immediately throw out your application" way but more of a "whoa this person is fishing for info on our ranking, sketch" way) depending on how it comes across. Naturally in a conversation with the people? Might go over well. As an unasked for out of the blue email message? More questionable.

Personally, I did not share my rankings with any programs (until after the match). I never felt the need to and honestly didn't know how my final rank order list was going to pan out until a few days before it was due. If you established a good connection with a place then they should already know how you feel about their program.

At this point I'd just say you have to let the process do what it was designed to do and don't overthink it or stress about it.

This is just all my personal opinion, but I don't like the idea of pseudo-(or actual) pressure to get applicants to share their rankings. It feels like trying to cheat the system and what is the point of having the match process if people are just trying to get around it? It also feels unfair to the applicants who don't want to share their top choice or maybe haven't figured out even what it is yet or have a couple that they're debating between.

I'm rambling now but all this to say, don't feel like this (emailing your top choice to tell them they're your top choice) is something you have to or even should be doing.

Fair. I think it also depends on the specialty. Having gone through residency Match twice, it really feels like it's a game that you have to learn to play in a way that you're comfortable with. I did experience programs coming out and saying they were ranking me highly (did not give me an exact number, of course), and once I realized that things like that do occur, I felt like maybe it would be beneficial to be honest with them as well if they were top choices of mine. One program did also tell me to let them know if I liked them before their rank list was due, so these conversations do take place. Radiology is also a specialty that have some programs outside Match and some in Match, so we already have programs picking up competitive applicants before Match even happens making it messy. It is what it is :shrug:

I agree, it seems... desperate to email out of the blue. If i was on the side of reviewing, I'd probably see it as over-zealous. Someone who's anxious enough to make sure we know "you're my number 1!!" completely unprompted is not playing it cool and may be an anxious resident/intern and is fishing for information. I know this is a stressful process, but the algorithm is applicant driven, you have the power to submit your rank list as *you* want it, and it will try to satisfy you first rather than the hospitals. Just click submit it as you genuinely want it, open a beer, and relax, as its out of your hands now. Allygator, your experience sounds like it came out naturally in conversation as KC said, which is different.

I had a resident tell me that the match for residency is "the biggest insider trading event for the year", which I took as so-and-so on the residency review board of University of Transylvania is buddies with your mentor at xyz hospital and told them the U of T wants you and has you ranked #1, not from direct interactions from applicant to program coordinator. but who knows.

I didn’t mean to suggest that everybody should email and divulge/ hint at their rankings. I was just replying to a specific statement of “I don’t feel like I impressed upon them how much I want to go to their program” - then go ahead and email and let them know. Personally if it was my first choice and I came away from the interview feeling like I didn’t let them know, it would make me feel better to email so that even if I didn’t match, I wouldn’t have it in my head that it was (in part) because I didn’t make that clear.

If you already emailed everyone after the interview or said during your interview that it’s your first choice then you probably don’t have to reach out again and I can see how that could feel awkward / feel like fishing for information.

As to whether it’s frowned upon to email and say a place is your first choice - my feeling is that as long as you are being sincere (ie not telling everyone they’re your first choice) and not badgering them and sounding desperate, then it is just some additional information for them to use however they see fit. Just my two cents

I think it's fine to let a program know you are really interested in them. And if it comes up naturally in a conversation, it's probably even ok to say something like "You guys are my top choice because ....".

But as a program director, I'll also add that it's not going to change our ranking one way or the other. We rank candidates in order of who we want. We figure they all want to come to our program or they would not have applied.

I didn’t mean to suggest that everybody should email and divulge/ hint at their rankings. I was just replying to a specific statement of “I don’t feel like I impressed upon them how much I want to go to their program” - then go ahead and email and let them know. Personally if it was my first choice and I came away from the interview feeling like I didn’t let them know, it would make me feel better to email so that even if I didn’t match, I wouldn’t have it in my head that it was (in part) because I didn’t make that clear.

If you already emailed everyone after the interview or said during your interview that it’s your first choice then you probably don’t have to reach out again and I can see how that could feel awkward / feel like fishing for information.

As to whether it’s frowned upon to email and say a place is your first choice - my feeling is that as long as you are being sincere (ie not telling everyone they’re your first choice) and not badgering them and sounding desperate, then it is just some additional information for them to use however they see fit. Just my two cents

That's fine. It's all a personal choice anyways.

I agree, it seems... desperate to email out of the blue. If i was on the side of reviewing, I'd probably see it as over-zealous. Someone who's anxious enough to make sure we know "you're my number 1!!" completely unprompted is not playing it cool and may be an anxious resident/intern and is fishing for information. I know this is a stressful process, but the algorithm is applicant driven, you have the power to submit your rank list as *you* want it, and it will try to satisfy you first rather than the hospitals. Just click submit it as you genuinely want it, open a beer, and relax, as its out of your hands now. Allygator, your experience sounds like it came out naturally in conversation as KC said, which is different.

I had a resident tell me that the match for residency is "the biggest insider trading event for the year", which I took as so-and-so on the residency review board of University of Transylvania is buddies with your mentor at xyz hospital and told them the U of T wants you and has you ranked #1, not from direct interactions from applicant to program coordinator. but who knows.

Meh. We got an email from an applicant "out of the blue" a few months after we interviewed them, stating their interest in the program and that they'd be ranking us highly. We didn't interpret it as desperate or over-zealous, just honest :shrug: My email to a program last year stating they'd be my #1 also would have fallen into the "out of the blue" category as they were not one that told me they'd be ranking me highly. Again, probably just different personalities and cultures between specialties. I agree that Match is a huge insider trading event.

Just noticed that my main page on the VIRMP website changed to match in progress.. results posted on Monday March 1 2021 at 8 am EST.... so close! :love::p:nailbiting:

Weirdly still checking my email constantly as if they'll release them sooner....seriously a computer should be able to work that alorgithm pretty quickly whyyyy do they make us wait :arghh:

• Haha
Just noticed that my main page on the VIRMP website changed to match in progress.. results posted on Monday March 1 2021 at 8 am EST.... so close! :love::p:nailbiting:
I don’t know why I just looked but the ANXIETY.

there’s 3 of us on my rotation who are going through match and we’re all just compounding on each other’s anxieties. :laugh::barf:

Weirdly still checking my email constantly as if they'll release them sooner....seriously a computer should be able to work that alorgithm pretty quickly whyyyy do they make us wait :arghh:
8AB03452-3160-4468-8D2E-8246534DBB4E.gif

• Haha
I've been weirdly chill in terms of incessantly checking it. Sometimes have panic thoughts about where I'll match but overall just waiting to hear. Helps that I'm on a hella busy rotation to keep my mind off things

Reactions: 3 users
I've been weirdly chill in terms of incessantly checking it. Sometimes have panic thoughts about where I'll match but overall just waiting to hear. Helps that I'm on a hella busy rotation to keep my mind off things

I've been dreaming a lot about it lol.. Had a dream the other night that results were shared prematurely and that my #1 ranked place ranked me #6 so I didn't match there lol

I've been dreaming a lot about it lol.. Had a dream the other night that results were shared prematurely and that my #1 ranked place ranked me #6 so I didn't match there lol
I mean... if they take more than 6 interns you'd be golden, right?

I did have a dream the other night that I matched to a place I never even ranked lol

• Haha
Last year the night before Match morning I had two dreams back to back, the first being that I didn't match and was super sad, but woke up relieved that it wasn't real. Then the second right after was that I matched to my second choice and was super happy, then woke up and realized it wasn't real and was sad again because what if I don't match?! Hahah terrible night.

anyone know for monday morning: do we get an email with our match results or do we have to log in to VIRMP to get them?

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone know for monday morning: do we get an email with our match results or do we have to log in to VIRMP to get them?
You log in at 8 am Eastern. If you match, the program will probably email you a welcome later in the day but plan to log in.

Reactions: 3 users
You log in at 8 am Eastern. If you match, the program will probably email you a welcome later in the day but plan to log in.
Also I've heard from some current interns/residents that it can take a while (like up to 5-10 minutes) to load up your results on match day because everyone is on the site at once and it slows it down

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Also I've heard from some current interns/residents that it can take a while (like up to 5-10 minutes) to load up your results on match day because everyone is on the site at once and it slows it down
Also true. Lots of frantic refreshing lol.

no! Deal with the mess that you made! Don’t slow it down!!!