2022-2023 TCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
TCU does not employ a written secondary application, so there won't be any prompts posted here like we do for other schools.

They read your primary application, screen for mission fit, and gradually invite selected applicants to their secondary application which in the past has been an online one, with audio-recorded answers to questions you can see on your computer screen.
They have also asked in the past for applicants not to share specific questions, from the secondary or the interview days.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Rising MS3. Good luck to everyone applying! Happy to answer any questions!

Rising MS3. Good luck to everyone applying! Happy to answer any questions!
TCU's focus on building empathic scholars and compassion has made it a top choice for me this application cycle. A lot of my experience leading up to med school has focused on working with urban underserved populations. What opportunities does TCU have for students to work with underserved populations and provide the compassionate care they emphasize?

Members don't see this ad :)
TCU's focus on building empathic scholars and compassion has made it a top choice for me this application cycle. A lot of my experience leading up to med school has focused on working with urban underserved populations. What opportunities does TCU have for students to work with underserved populations and provide the compassionate care they emphasize?
Glad to hear it! Opportunities like this are literally everywhere at our school. Some examples:

1) Community project -> During the end of Phase 2 and towards the end of Phase 3 students complete a community project. Many students chose to work with the underserved populations / homeless population in whatever capacity they see will help. Some students have done clothing drives/food drives/hygiene bags etc. The point is that students have time allotted to them specifically for this which shows the school's passion for the DFW community at large.

2) Student-run free clinic -> Students, under the guidance of clinical faculty, can provide healthcare to underserved individuals who do not have the means to go to a large hospital/clinic. We have a fair bit of resources to use (suture kits, etc.) if needed during the clinic.

3) LIC 1 -> First years go to an outpatient primary care clinic every other week during their MS1 year. A good chunk of these clinics are in underserved communities. This is a great way to start building those clinical and empathetic skills we learn from the get-go.

Student organizations have each created their own ways by which they help the community they are passionate about as well. The HEENT club had a glasses drive not too long ago.

I'm sure there are other things that have escaped me at this moment but hopefully, this helps!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Glad to hear it! Opportunities like this are literally everywhere at our school. Some examples:

1) Community project -> During the end of Phase 2 and towards the end of Phase 3 students complete a community project. Many students chose to work with the underserved populations / homeless population in whatever capacity they see will help. Some students have done clothing drives/food drives/hygiene bags etc. The point is that students have time allotted to them specifically for this which shows the school's passion for the DFW community at large.

2) Student-run free clinic -> Students, under the guidance of clinical faculty, can provide healthcare to underserved individuals who do not have the means to go to a large hospital/clinic. We have a fair bit of resources to use (suture kits, etc.) if needed during the clinic.

3) LIC 1 -> First years go to an outpatient primary care clinic every other week during their MS1 year. A good chunk of these clinics are in underserved communities. This is a great way to start building those clinical and empathetic skills we learn from the get-go.

Student organizations have each created their own ways by which they help the community they are passionate about as well. The HEENT club had a glasses drive not too long ago.

I'm sure there are other things that have escaped me at this moment but hopefully, this helps!
Thank you for your reply! Those opportunities sound awesome. As far as the LICs go, are students able to go to the clinic more frequently than every other week?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply! Those opportunities sound awesome. As far as the LICs go, are students able to go to the clinic more frequently than every other week?
Hi current MS1/rising MS2. You go at least 1-2 times a month depending on your schedule. I think it depends on your preceptor because I know some do allow you and are able to have you, but you could be busy during the week with other curricular obligations/studying/other events. The free clinics are often during the weekend so that might be a better way to fit more clinical experiences during your free time! Hope this helps.

Hi,
This is a school I am quite interested in, however I have a question about the video recording (if it is ok to be asked). Is it like an interview in that you get a question and then have to answer on the spot, or do you get a prompt and get some time to think it over before video recording yourself answering? thank you!

Hi,
This is a school I am quite interested in, however I have a question about the video recording (if it is ok to be asked). Is it like an interview in that you get a question and then have to answer on the spot, or do you get a prompt and get some time to think it over before video recording yourself answering? thank you!
In fact it is an audio recorded answer, not video, unless they are going to change it this year.
Clear and spontaneous communication of your thoughts would be what I would say.

Hi,
I believe you are presented with a question and then given something like 30 seconds to a couples of minutes to think it over before it starts automatically recording!

I thought I read somewhere that there is also a timed writing section.. Essentially like giving you a secondary writing prompt and then you have to answer it within a certain amount of time. Is that the case? Or is it audio only?

Is it similar to CASPer? @wysdoc
I don't know the answer to that, @Kameha01 because they have asked those who do their secondary not to share information about it and people have been very ethical and cooperative about that request.

Here are some older posts by the inaugural class's admissions dean that address the secondary: ( this dean is not at TCU any more but I believe the answers are still valid). They really do read your primary thoroughly first before sending out secondaries, a month or two later than most other AMCAS schools.
#60 #61

I don't know the answer to that, @Kameha01 because they have asked those who do their secondary not to share information about it and people have been very ethical and cooperative about that request.

Here are some older posts by the inaugural class's admissions dean that address the secondary: ( this dean is not at TCU any more but I believe the answers are still valid). They really do read your primary thoroughly first before sending out secondaries, a month or two later than most other AMCAS schools.
#60 #61
it looks like last year they were sending out secondaries in early July. not sure if that trend will continue tho! I know they just moved into their temporary building so with all the moving parts of a new med school timelines could be wonky.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did everyone who got secondaries today have all LORs submitted? I’m still waiting on my committee letter and I'm worried that will delay me

Did everyone who got secondaries today have all LORs submitted? I’m still waiting on my committee letter and I'm worried that will delay me
I have all my stuff in and haven't gotten a secondary yet. I feel like my app fits really well with the mission.

My letters were all in, but I can't speak for anyone else

My letters were all in, but I can't speak for anyone else
Mine were also in, but I’m not sure if that affects you. I’m pretty sure TCU’s screen is a minimum one

I want to say that I finished my secondary. The audio prompts will definitely catch you off your feet, and I don't feel great about my responses but I think that's the point of what they're trying to do to get a more organic response. I can't share prompts but I wish y'all the best of luck and my advice would be to just be yourself!

I want to say that I finished my secondary. The audio prompts will definitely catch you off your feet, and I don't feel great about my responses but I think that's the point of what they're trying to do to get a more organic response. I can't share prompts but I wish y'all the best of luck and my advice would be to just be yourself!
thanks for the heads up! Really hoping to get a secondary from TCU. I've fallen in love with their program and hope I can matriculate there. Fingers crossed!

thanks for the heads up! Really hoping to get a secondary from TCU. I've fallen in love with their program and hope I can matriculate there. Fingers crossed!
I did apply here last year, I am not sure how strict their screen is but if it makes you feel better I did not receive my secondary till near the end of July last year. It is a great program, and I am hoping I can get another interview here and not suck again:rofl:

I did apply here last year, I am not sure how strict their screen is but if it makes you feel better I did not receive my secondary till near the end of July last year. It is a great program, and I am hoping I can get another interview here and not suck again:rofl:
Can I PM you? I have some questions (not about the audio prompts, I promise!)

Just completed secondary. I was super nervous, but it really isn't that bad. Just be yourself and let your personality shine through, and I promise you'll be okay :)

OOS Secondary Received. Super nervous for the Audio Portion. Any tips?

I’m happy to help answer any questions guys, but please do not ask me for secondary questions. I’m not going to give that information away.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Do you get to see the prompts beforehand or is it like the snapshot where you have a few seconds to think of your response?
you get 60 seconds to view the question and consider your response before the question disappears and you respond.

It shows that my letters have not been received, but when I click in, it shows my letters arrived two weeks ago. I completed the secondary a few days ago. Should I contact admissions?

It shows that my letters have not been received, but when I click in, it shows my letters arrived two weeks ago. I completed the secondary a few days ago. Should I contact admissions?
did you receive a complete email?

If you didn't get the "application complete" email then it's worth sending an email to clarify. They're really responsive. I had a question and they responded really quickly.

Anybody else still waiting on a secondary? Verified before transmission and still waiting. Checked spam and every nook and cranny of my inbox.

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody else still waiting on a secondary? Verified before transmission and still waiting. Checked spam and every nook and cranny of my inbox.
TCU's workflow is not like the other Texas schools. They take their time for a close reading of your primary application, and then spread out their secondary app invitations over a matter of months.
If you have any specific questions for them about your prereqs or that sort of thing, email the admissions office for information; they are responsive.
However, they do not take "updates" to your application , letters of interest, etc.

It's hard to be patient - if your primary app is complete there is nothing more to do right now.

Reactions: 4 users
Me too! But if it makes you feel better, on their website, secondary applications are sent to all students who score above the 40th percentile on the MCAT and above a 3.0 GPA!

Last edited:
Triple checking before I start: this secondary is audio only, right? I don't need to go put on a suit or anything?

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone had a problem with status saying LOR not received but it showing received date of 6/22 under the document status? Wondering if I should reach out

Reactions: 1 users