2023-2024 TCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
TCU does not employ a written secondary application, so there won't be any prompts posted here like we do for other schools.

They read your primary application, screen for mission fit, and gradually invite selected applicants to their secondary application which in the past has been an online one, with audio-recorded answers to questions you can see on your computer screen.
They have also asked in the past for applicants not to share specific questions, from the secondary or the interview days.

Use Chrome or Firefox browsers ONLY, for your secondary application input, and please see this post for how to get your secondary recordings to go smoothly:

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
TCU Burnett School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current M3 -> M4 graduating in 2024. Good luck to those applying. Happy to answer questions by message.

Reactions: 3 users
Current M3 -> M4 graduating in 2024. Good luck to those applying. Happy to answer questions by message.
Incoming M1 here. I need to find housing ASAP. What are the best housing app./resources for TCU M1s? Also, what is the best geographical location for an M1 without a car that is safe and convenient? E.g., should I be looking for housing near the med. school, or near TCU, or near the medical district?

Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming M1 here. I need to find housing ASAP. What are the best housing app./resources for TCU M1s? Also, what is the best geographical location for an M1 without a car that is safe and convenient? E.g., should I be looking for housing near the med. school, or near TCU, or near the medical district?
Welcome!

The med school usually sends out housing information to incoming students. I would reach out to the school and ask for it because we students have filled out surveys with our apartments and prices and all that jazz for this purpose. You can live anywhere you like honestly. The med school, TCU main, and the medical district are all within a couple of miles of each other. We have students that live all over and it's not a big deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Does this school favor early applicants a lot?

If my committee letter has multiple letters included with it (uploaded all together), will I be marked as complete? I've heard that some people who had committee letters weren't marked complete at TCU.

Could someone explain how TCU's admissions process works? So there is no secondary? Will we get an email saying our application is complete?

Could someone explain how TCU's admissions process works? So there is no secondary? Will we get an email saying our application is complete?
1. Read the top post in this thread.
2. Read the 2022-2023 thread.
3. In the past TCU has taken their time to do a close reading of your primary and spaced out secondary invitations over many months. Be sure to read their admissions page about prereqs because you must have taken both Genetics and Physiology.

Reactions: 2 users
3. In the past TCU has taken their time to do a close reading of your primary and spaced out secondary invitations over many months. Be sure to read their admissions page about prereqs because you must have taken both Genetics and Physiology.
Might be misremembering but people were receiving secondaries in January or later.

Does the Physiology prerequisite have to be strictly an anatomy/physiology course? My second general biology class was pretty much physiology

Does the Physiology prerequisite have to be strictly an anatomy/physiology course? My second general biology class was pretty much physiology
It can’t be a general bio class that had some physiology in it. You only need 1 semester, mammalian or human physiology. Anatomy not required.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc are we automatically screened out if we haven't taken Genetics for example?
On their page, it says these are prereqs for admission and then at the bottom it says work with your advisor to make sure you've taken the classes by matriculation.

@wysdoc are we automatically screened out if we haven't taken Genetics for example?
On their page, it says these are prereqs for admission and then at the bottom it says work with your advisor to make sure you've taken the classes by matriculation.
Ya if you have an interview invite from them, you might want to sign up for a genetics course.

Does anyone know historically when they start inviting selected applicants to complete the secondary?

No, you can still take it in this application year as long as you finish it before matriculation.
I like to remind applicants about this, especially those who have already graduated, because if this is a school they are highly interested in, they need to find a way to meet the prereqs.

Current MS1 here and loving it so far! Feel free to ask any questions.

Current MS1 here and loving it so far! Feel free to ask any questions.
I'm not sure if you're OOS but how do you think the transition would be for someone who has lived their entire lives in inner cities on the east coast?

I really like the school, but that's my only concern and I'm not too familiar with Texas.

I'm not sure if you're OOS but how do you think the transition would be for someone who has lived their entire lives in inner cities on the east coast?

I really like the school, but that's my only concern and I'm not too familiar with Texas.
The Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington metroplex holds a population of over 3 million people and is urban with pockets of wealth and poverty like any major city.
I think your main adjustment may be that the pace of things in Texas is not manic like in NYC

Reactions: 1 users
The Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington metroplex holds a population of over 3 million people and is urban with pockets of wealth and poverty like any major city.
I think your main adjustment may be that the pace of things in Texas is not manic like in NYC
Interesting, then it sounds like it will actually be a pretty good fit. Thanks!

Cool. Do they consider race for internationals?
Not sure. I immigrated here from Latin America though, and should become a green card holder within a couple of months (which I indicated in many secondaries). Some in Reddit say no, some in SDN say yes, and the answer Ig is no one knows.

Not sure. I immigrated here from Latin America though, and should become a green card holder within a couple of months (which I indicated in many secondaries). Some in Reddit say no, some in SDN say yes, and the answer Ig is no one knows.
If you are not considered international the URM tag is relevant even for greencard holders.

Well so Ig the answer is I’ll be URM in a couple months lol kinda weird how things can change.
I think the real problem comes from whether the schools are considering your expected status vs current while reading your app.

You may need to update your status at all the schools once you get your approval.

I think the real problem comes from whether the schools are considering your expected status vs current while reading your app.

You may need to update your status at all the schools once you get your approval.
Yeah I’ll make sure to do that once it’s time. Either way, I think TCU would be a great fit for me, and I hope they consider me URM or not.

Reactions: 2 users

I personally love Fort Worth. It’s has a college town vibe. Friendly people. Summers are hot and humid but it gets better. You definitely need a car here. Most of the bigger cities here are liberal but you definitely run into conservative individuals.

On MSAR it says that every applicant with above a 3.0 GPA and >40th percentile MCAT gets a secondary. Still confused about how their process differs from other schools (although I know that there is a video/audio component to the secondary, which is different from other schools).

On MSAR it says that every applicant with above a 3.0 GPA and >40th percentile MCAT gets a secondary. Still confused about how their process differs from other schools (although I know that there is a video/audio component to the secondary, which is different from other schools).
Are you sure it says every applicant?

To quote MSAR: "Applicants with a minimum Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) in the 40th percentile, a minimum overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 and who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents will receive an invitation to complete our supplemental application."

To quote MSAR: "Applicants with a minimum Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) in the 40th percentile, a minimum overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 and who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents will receive an invitation to complete our supplemental application."
Confirmed
also says minimum of 502 for screening on msar.

Secondary received, oos. 503, 3.4sgpa, 3.5cgpa. Pumped! Seems like a great school and I hear Fort Worth is a great place