2022-2023 Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @boomertexas for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Georgetown Secondary Essay Prompts (the last one is your longer essay, the others are in a "short answer" section)

1. Are you/will you be enrolled as a student at Georgetown University during the 2022-2023 academic year? (Y/N)

2. Have you ever participated in any of the following Georgetown Programs? (check all that apply):

1. The Georgetown University Academy for Research, Clinical, and Health Equity Scholarship (ARCHES)
  2. Pedro Arrupe S.J. Scholarship for Peace (ARRUPE)
  3. Gateway Exploration Program (GEP)
  4. Georgetown Scholars Program (GSP)
  5. Georgetown University School of Medicine Summer Immersion Program (GUSOM SCS)
  6. Cultivating Opportunity & Realizing Excellence (CORE) Leadership Program
3. The Georgetown University School of Medicine (GUSOM) strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians, with cultural humility, who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. With our Jesuit values of Cura Personalis, People for Others, and Community in Diversity, we are steadfast in our commitment to racial justice and to addressing the health inequities exacerbated by the recent pandemic. Please describe how your values, life experiences, and your identity will contribute to these GUSOM priorities.

4. Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application?

5. Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (3000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Georgetown University School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
  • Are you/will you be enrolled as a student at Georgetown University during the 2022-2023 academic year? (Y/N)
  • Have you ever participated in any of the following Georgetown Programs? (check all that apply):
  1. The Georgetown University Academy for Research, Clinical, and Health Equity Scholarship (ARCHES)
  5. Georgetown University School of Medicine Summer Immersion Program (GUSOM SCS)
  • The Georgetown University School of Medicine (GUSOM) strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians, with cultural humility, who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. With our Jesuit values of Cura Personalis, People for Others, and Community in Diversity, we are steadfast in our commitment to racial justice and to addressing the health inequities exacerbated by the recent pandemic. Please describe how your values, life experiences, and your identity will contribute to these GUSOM priorities.
  • Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application?
  • Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (3000 characters)
@wysdoc

Reactions: 1 users
  • Are you/will you be enrolled as a student at Georgetown University during the 2022-2023 academic year? (Y/N)
  • Have you ever participated in any of the following Georgetown Programs? (check all that apply):
  • The Georgetown University School of Medicine (GUSOM) strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians, with cultural humility, who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. With our Jesuit values of Cura Personalis, People for Others, and Community in Diversity, we are steadfast in our commitment to racial justice and to addressing the health inequities exacerbated by the recent pandemic. Please describe how your values, life experiences, and your identity will contribute to these GUSOM priorities.
  • Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application?
  • Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (3000 characters)
@wysdoc
thanks, @boomertexas - if you know any character limits on the essay questions besides the last one, please update us

Okay @wysdoc, I need some tough love. GU is one of my dream schools. I love cura personalis and the DC area, and I think I have a lot to offer, but their technical standards say:
Section scores:
<125 are considered non-competitive.
I have one section with a 124. Everything else is solid and I've demonstrated competencies elsewhere, but will this completely disqualify me? It is a $130 secondary fee (whew!) and I don't think I can waste that just to be screened out. Is it worth it?

Okay @wysdoc, I need some tough love. GU is one of my dream schools. I love cura personalis and the DC area, and I think I have a lot to offer, but their technical standards say:
Section scores:
I have one section with a 124. Everything else is solid and I've demonstrated competencies elsewhere, but will this completely disqualify me? It is a $130 secondary fee (whew!) and I don't think I can waste that just to be screened out. Is it worth it?
I think it depends on the section! I am not an expert lol but i assume if its like CARS that can be a little more understanding. That secondary fee is scary!

I think it depends on the section! I am not an expert lol but i assume if its like CARS that can be a little more understanding. That secondary fee is scary!
God, I wish... CARS was a 132 lol. It was B/BC

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay stupid question - anyone else having difficulty signing into the secondary? The email didn't include instructions but I figure we do the "forgot password" thing to set a new one, but I tried that and haven't gotten any email

Okay stupid question - anyone else having difficulty signing into the secondary? The email didn't include instructions but I figure we do the "forgot password" thing to set a new one, but I tried that and haven't gotten any email
Check junk email, mine did the same thing

Reactions: 1 user
Section scores:
If it's a school you want to reach for, go for it. Read old posts on SDN about how much they love followups and letters of interest after interviews. Consider other Catholic medical schools too for similar missions.

not a state! over 700,000 people without representation! Statehood for DC!!! ok rant over
Yeah but strategically if you are an undergrad in a DC school applying straight, you'd claim residency in your home state. If you're taking at least one gap year, you'd hop a few hundred feet across the Potomac and apply with VA residency.

Yeah but strategically if you are an undergrad in a DC school applying straight, you'd claim residency in your home state. If you're taking at least one gap year, you'd hop a few hundred feet across the Potomac and apply with VA residency.
I mean strategically sure... but there is life outside of med school apps. I am in "state" so I am the unicorn you're searching for 🦄

I mean strategically sure... but there is life outside of med school apps. I am in "state" so I am the unicorn you're searching for

What is this "life outside of med school apps" that you speak of? I am unfamiliar with such a concept

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
How long do people plan to go with these "short answer" essays? Everything has been so regimented since I decided to go for med school, I don't like ambiguity!

How long do people plan to go with these "short answer" essays? Everything has been so regimented since I decided to go for med school, I don't like ambiguity!
They were 1000 chars last cycle, so I might just stick with that tbh.

secondary submitted! (ouch on that fee though)

I am also still struggling... we make one typo and our application goes in the trash, but they can mess up the mass email describing how we are supposed to pay them more money... and we pay them more money to get a rejection??? gotta love it

I am also still struggling... we make one typo and our application goes in the trash, but they can mess up the mass email describing how we are supposed to pay them more money... and we pay them more money to get a rejection??? gotta love it
Mine went to my junk and took about an hour to show up. whole process is frustrating :(

What are your guys' opinions on mentioning a non-Catholic/Christian religion in Georgetown's secondary? I'm working on the prompt about how my values, life experiences and identity will contribute to cura personalis and I feel like it's been a major part of my life because it's a big pillar in my religion. If I bring it up, should I mention explicitly which religion I follow (Sikhism) or just leave it vague? Thank you!

What are your guys' opinions on mentioning a non-Catholic/Christian religion in Georgetown's secondary? I'm working on the prompt about how my values, life experiences and identity will contribute to cura personalis and I feel like it's been a major part of my life because it's a big pillar in my religion. If I bring it up, should I mention explicitly which religion I follow (Sikhism) or just leave it vague? Thank you!
i suggest you be specific since it's a big part of your identitiy.

Why does this school ask for a social security number? Is there any way to skip this? I am uncomfortable giving this information.

Why does this school ask for a social security number? Is there any way to skip this? I am uncomfortable giving this information.
A few others also do that; my guess would be for background checks. Seems to be pretty standard to me, but if you have a concern I think it would be best directed to the admissions office to see if you can get an exemption.

That feeling when you didn't get the "only 1000 characters" memo and go to paste your responses into the secondary... Oof

does Georgetown ask if you have previously applied to medical school or if you have previously applied to their medical school? or both

Section scores:
I went to a Zoom admissions event where the director of admissions said that the <125 rule isn't super strict.

Do the 1000 characters include spaces?

For those of you who are reapplying, how much are you guys changing your secondary essays? I am struggling with significantly changing mine because my reasons for wanting to go to GUSOM haven't changed nor has my additional info I want the committee to know about me. Has anyone spoken with admissions about this? I don't want to come across as lazy, but how many ways can we keep saying the same thing?

For those of you who are reapplying, how much are you guys changing your secondary essays? I am struggling with significantly changing mine because my reasons for wanting to go to GUSOM haven't changed nor has my additional info I want the committee to know about me. Has anyone spoken with admissions about this? I don't want to come across as lazy, but how many ways can we keep saying the same thing?
I am completely rewriting everything! For schools that I applied to before I'm not even looking at what I wrote last time, because obviously that didn't get me an II or A. If you really do have the same passions and goals, you'll be able to write them well from scratch again. Don't let yourself get held back by what you wrote before

Reactions: 2 users
I am completely rewriting everything! For schools that I applied to before I'm not even looking at what I wrote last time, because obviously that didn't get me an II or A. If you really do have the same passions and goals, you'll be able to write them well from scratch again. Don't let yourself get held back by what you wrote before
This is a good point, I also changed my essays completely to reflect new experiences and tried to fit their mission better

Where are the research opportunities listed on the website? It seems like the page hasn't been updated since 2016 lol.

This is a good point, I also changed my essays completely to reflect new experiences and tried to fit their mission better
I did use my previous Why Georgetown essay as a framework because my specific interests in their program haven't changed, I just used new clinical experiences to support my motivation for wanting to attend Georgetown and to better demonstrate how I fit their mission. I essentially used an essay with the same structure but new content.

Have been looking into GU but I don't want to apply if I am not competitive in terms of volunteer hrs. I know it is incredibly service oriented but does anyone have any statistics for this?

What are the average/median number of hours towards service and does clinical volunteering count?