2022-2023 North Dakota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Received secondary today (6/27), OOS

We would like to know more about you. Answer the following questions to help us understand who you are. Do not leave any questions 1-8 blank.
1) "The School of Medicine & Health Sciences is a community-based medical school, and because of the unique circumstances of our regional location, we place special emphasis on the unique skills needed to provide care for patients and populations in rural and Native American communities across all competencies. The primary purpose of the UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences is to educate physicians and other health professionals for subsequent service in North Dakota and to enhance the quality of life of its people. Other purposes include the discovery of knowledge that benefits the people of this state and enhances the quality of their lives." Please explain the steps you have taken towards, and how you will fulfill different aspects the school’s mission.
0/1200
2) Reflect on personal experiences of resilience and emotional intelligence throughout your life and how this has prepared you in your pursuit of a career in medicine.
0/1200
3) Describe your experiences with diverse populations. Examples include a summary of a volunteer experience, study abroad, employment, self-taught endeavor or a formal course on diversity that includes direct interaction with individuals or groups from socio-economic disadvantaged, diverse cultures, rural, or other backgrounds.
0/1200
4) Describe your research activity. Examples include the outcome of a formal research experience, course-dependent undergraduate research, thesis, or capstone project.
0/600
5) Describe your creative activity. Examples include the on-going production of art forms, artistic performance, or other creative efforts, such as photography, painting, musical talents, needlework, cooking, wood-working, building cars, yoga instructor, dancing, theatre performance, writing, gaming etc.
0/600
6) Expand and reflect on medical and/or clinical experience as it relates to the mission of the School of Medicine & Health Sciences. This may include a summary of physician shadowing, clinical observation, community service, volunteer work, and/or employment. Examples include, but are not limited to, work in a clinic, hospital, as a first responder, clinical lab, public health, home health visits, assisted living, nursing home care, youth camps, or relevant military duty.
0/1200
7) Expand and reflect on leadership and team experience. This may include a summary of leadership roles or teamwork in employed positions, extracurricular activities, organizations, volunteer services, or any other leadership or team experiences.
0/1200
8) What are your career plans if you do not ever get admitted to medical school?
0/600
9) If needed, update the information in your AMCAS application (i.e., grades in recent courses, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation, additions to extracurricular activities, unreported legal and institutional infractions, etc.).Optional
0/600
10) Are you currently enrolled in a grant-funded and/or degree-granting post-baccalaureate program and/or advanced degree? If so, what is your timeline for completion?

IS, secondary recieved 7/7. Submitted 6/8 and processed 7/7.

Members don't see this ad :)
For this question "Do you meet one of the UND SMHS residency preferences?" is it only for ND residents or do MN residents put yes also? I am confused by the website

Minnesota should be okay, it is basically if you can check any of the boxes of situations that are listed you meet residency preference I think

Pre-II R. MN resident with ties to ND/SD.

Quoted to be “insufficient ties” to the state. Make sure you have strong ties to the state if you are OOS!!!

Pre-II R. MN resident with ties to ND/SD.

Quoted to be “insufficient ties” to the state. Make sure you have strong ties to the state if you are OOS!!!
When did you submit secondaries?? What ties did you have?

When did you submit secondaries?? What ties did you have?
Received secondary on 6/28
Submitted on 7/2
Pre-II R on 7/27

Was born there and relocated when I was like 5. My entire family on both sides still resides there. We're the only ones to not be in the state.

Received secondary on 6/28
Submitted on 7/2
Pre-II R on 7/27

Was born there and relocated when I was like 5. My entire family on both sides still resides there. We're the only ones to not be in the state.
Thats so strange... My friend got in last year and had like no ties to ND except being from MN

Pre-II R, ND resident for last 5 years, graduated w/ BS from ND university, MS from outside state, MCAT 505….

This one hurts

Pre-II R, ND resident for last 5 years, graduated w/ BS from ND university, MS from outside state, MCAT 505….

This one hurts
damn i am sorry...when did you submit your secondary? I wonder if ND is like super mission oriented?? Idk much about the school

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
II today (11/22/22)! Montana resident (WICHE certified), LM >80, complete 7/2/22, average ECs, lots of research. Talked a lot about growing up in a rural community in primary and secondary which probably helped me here.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if they update the portal after you interview?

Okay thanks everyone! I interviewed 10/29, and they said I should hear back the second week of December

Okay thanks everyone! I interviewed 10/29, and they said I should hear back the second week of December
So I also interviewed 10/29 and was told the same thing: I would hear back regarding my decision second week of December. It's obviously Dec 16th and I was curious because I hadn't heard, so I called the office and a different person told me that they don't inform people until January. So I am a little confused

So I also interviewed 10/29 and was told the same thing: I would hear back regarding my decision second week of December. It's obviously Dec 16th and I was curious because I hadn't heard, so I called the office and a different person told me that they don't inform people until January. So I am a little confused
website says this - "Acceptances will be offered via email. Applicants who meet certain selection criteria will be offered acceptance on a rolling basis throughout the interview process; all other applicants will be notified soon after all interviews are completed in January 2023."

Hey everyone – I'm a current medical student at UND. Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have about the school, curriculum, etc. I can't say that I have a lot of knowledge of where the application process stands at this point (which I know is what a lot of you are probably waiting on), but I would be happy to help in any other way! Best of luck to all of you!

I interviewed on 10/28 and have yet to receive a response. I was told during my interview that we would hear back at the end of January.

Accepted today! Interviewed 12/3. MN resident. Best Christmas present ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know how many people usually get off the waitlist?
From last year’s thread, someone placed #12 on the waitlist got accepted in May. I also knew someone very high on the list(#4) that didn’t get accepted in another cycle.

Hey everyone – I'm a current medical student at UND. Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have about the school, curriculum, etc. I can't say that I have a lot of knowledge of where the application process stands at this point (which I know is what a lot of you are probably waiting on), but I would be happy to help in any other way! Best of luck to all of you!
I got accepted!! Would love to ask some questions:

Housing — Is there on campus housing? If not, what areas in grand forks do students typically live near? Any apartments you recommend? I’m not familiar with the city but would love to visit the school/city before I enroll.

Academics - what kind of resources does UND have to prep for step 1 and 2? Is there a formal mentorship program for M1s or self initiated? What do you love and hate about the school/curriculum?

Social - what do students usually do for fun in grand forks? Does the med school have any unique traditions?

Housing — Is there on campus housing? If not, what areas in grand forks do students typically live near? Any apartments you recommend? I’m not familiar with the city but would love to visit the school/city before I enroll.

Academics - what kind of resources does UND have to prep for step 1 and 2? Is there a formal mentorship program for M1s or self initiated? What do you love and hate about the school/curriculum?

Social - what do students usually do for fun in grand forks? Does the med school have any unique traditions?
Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm also a current student at UND.

1. There is on-campus housing that's across from the med school building (apartment is called Hamline Square). The current 2nd years are leaving for clinicals soon, so there may be some rooms opening up there. Aside from that, a lot of people live in Gallery apartments, Sonoma lofts, which are all close to campus. Some upperclassmen also have housing that they post in the med school class groups so that's another avenue.

2. We have a 4-week dedicated Step 1 prep period, and 8-week dedicated Step 2 period. This was a recent change as students voiced that they would prefer to have more time studying for Step 2, given that it'll probably be more important now that Step 1 is P/F. A section of your exams will be NBME questions as well. We also have a dedicated Step 1 course director, so there are a lot of resources available.

With regards to the curriculum, here are the things that I like:
  • Shortened preclinical so we can get to clinical rotations earlier.​
  • A lot of breaks built into the schedule, so you don't get too burnt out.​
  • The Simulation Center is phenomenal. Most students enjoy the simulation experiences they have for us. The staff is awesome too, they host fun events like a zombie apocalypse-themed trauma simulation for Halloween​
  • Lectures are recorded and not a lot of mandatory stuff (I suppose this one is pretty common)​
  • Nothing is scheduled the day before exams so you can study, relax, whatever you want to do​
  • Small groups get shuffled every block, so you get to know people in the class pretty well​
  • Free stethoscope from med school donors​
  • Not a lot of residents, so you get to work with the attendings directly (can be a pro or con depending on how you look at things. I think it's nice)​
Things that I don't like:
  • We get split up into 4 different campuses for clinical rotations, so you potentially have to move after 20 months (unless you get assigned to Grand Forks)
  • Research opportunities are lacking, a con if you're interested in a competitive specialty. They are trying to improve this though
  • Remediation happens in elective blocks, so if you fail a block, there's a chance you may not be able to do research the summer between M1 and M2
  • Not a lot of residency programs at UND, so less PDs are available who can make calls for you.
  • Med school building is pretty far from the undergrad campus, where a lot of the amenities are

3. Hockey games (especially going out downtown after) are very common things to do. Unfortunately, there isn't really much to do in Grand Forks aside from that. The preclinical curriculum does have quite a lot of breaks so you can always travel elsewhere if (when?) you get sick of Grand Forks. With regards to unique traditions, I started in the weird COVID era so I don't know much outside of virtual stuff, but upperclassmen have told me that in the past, the Dean rents out the North Dakota Museum of Art and hosts a reception there for 1st years to just talk and hang out. There's fancy food and drinks served. I don't know if they are going to bring it back in the future, but I think that'll be nice. I know current students are planning Med Prom and that'll be a yearly thing. The social events vary from year to year depending on the class's social committee.

So that was a lot, but I hope it's informative. Let me know if you have other questions/follow up questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all! I am currently an accepted student here and was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting a Facebook group or something like that to get to know each other a little bit before school starts!

Hey all! I am currently an accepted student here and was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting a Facebook group or something like that to get to know each other a little bit before school starts!
I am accepted for the 2023 entering class through INMED. I believe one of the admissions officers starts one closer to the date of matriculation! I would be interested in joining one earlier, though.

Congratulations!! I would echo a lot of what @Tarsal-Tunnel said in their reply to you, and I'll add a few of my thoughts as well:

Housing – Hamline Square is definitely the on-campus option that most graduate students live in. It is also the most convenient for medical students/health professions students as it is just across the parking lot from the medical school (definitely a perk in the winter!). I personally only know a couple of people who live there; myself and most of my classmates live in off-campus apartments or houses scattered throughout Grand Forks. When you're looking, I would try and find apartments where the landlord pays for heat as this utility bill can add up quickly. There are a lot of apartment complexes on the west side of Grand Forks as well as more south, close to the shopping areas. You will almost certainly need your own vehicle or a carpool buddy as public transit exists, but is quite limited compared to other areas.

I would also 100% recommend visiting! I was new to Grand Forks and visited prior to starting classes and thought it was so helpful for getting oriented to the area. Downtown has a lot of bars, breweries, coffee shops, and restaurants that are fun to visit.

Academics – @Tarsal-Tunnel's info on the step prep is right on so I don't have a lot to add there. In terms of mentorship, there is an M1-M2 buddy program that you'll get information about joining prior to starting classes that you can be as involved in (or not) as you like. There are also a lot of getting-to-know-you events early on in the year for students to meet one another. Many of the students that I have met across MD classes are extremely friendly and supportive.

Social – UND hockey games are definitely a huge thing. Intramural sports have also been big in my class and the one above me; dodgeball, basketball, volleyball, really anything you would want to be involved in! Malpractice Bowl is a football game between the medical students and law students that happens yearly and is really fun to play in and watch. The reception at the North Dakota Museum of Art did happen for my class and Med Prom is happening this January. There is a student-run Social Committee that tries to schedule events regularly, and the UND campus provides vouchers for things throughout the year that are free to medical students (movie tickets, pumpkin patch tickets, free food, etc). They also have weekly yoga at the medical school that I have loved!

For some things that I do like:
  • To echo above, there are many breaks in the schedule that are not obvious when you first take a look at the schedule. We typically get a 3-4 day weekend after mid-unit exams and a week after end-unit exams. They also try to give us at least a half day, almost always a full day, prior to the exam off to study (sometimes things get pushed here if there are cancelations/campus shut-downs due to weather).
  • The Simulation Center is amazing! We typically have simulations 1-2 times per unit and I have learned so much after every one of them.
  • There is a lot of flexibility in your schedule. Mandatory lectures/events are pretty heavy early in the year during orientation, but that chills down a lot after the first unit. They also try to slot them all close together so you don't have to go to and from the school multiple times a day. As you move forward in the curriculum, a lot of the lectures are "Independent Learning" meaning they are recorded and uploaded for you to watch at your convenience.
  • They integrate a lot of clinical experience/clinical reasoning throughout the curriculum which I really enjoy.
  • You get a free stethoscope at the beginning of the year which is really nice. You also have the option to upgrade and pay the difference, but the base option (I believe it's a Littmann Cardiology IV) is more than sufficient.
  • You also get a free AMA membership with a free gift option, of which a free copy of First Aid is available!
  • The ROME and MILE programs for clinical rotations are really great for students interested in longitudinal experiences and/or rural health. I did not apply for ROME and did not get placed in MILE (default program for students assigned to Minot for phase 2) but I have heard nothing but wonderful things about both programs.
  • There are so many interest groups and extracurriculars to get involved in!
  • The four campuses for clinical rotations can be good or bad, depending on what you're looking for. The campuses are Grand Forks, Fargo, Bismarck, and Minot, and you are placed in a location using a combination of a survey that you send in and a lottery system. There are two lotteries, one for Phase 2 (essentially base/required clinical rotations) and one for Phase 3 (more elective rotations) across the four sites, so a lot of moving could be involved.
  • There are some kinks still being worked out due to the revamped curriculum schedule (24 months down to 20 months to get us into clinical rotations more quickly), but admin is generally very responsive to email/meeting requests and the student body is very supportive of one another.
  • The med school is a bit far from the rest of campus and downtown, so transportation is definitely important for getting to off campus study areas, shadowing, stores, etc.
  • In terms of remediation, they do provide opportunities to remediate a unit but these often occur at the expense of an elective experience. For example, the first two units span from July to the end of October with a remediation period in November if you didn't pass one of the units, but you would be unable to do an elective in the November period (one which electives is to get certified for research in the summer).

That was also a lot of info and I hope it was helpful, but please let me know if you want more details on anything or if you have any questions!

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm also a current student at UND.

1. There is on-campus housing that's across from the med school building (apartment is called Hamline Square). The current 2nd years are leaving for clinicals soon, so there may be some rooms opening up there. Aside from that, a lot of people live in Gallery apartments, Sonoma lofts, which are all close to campus. Some upperclassmen also have housing that they post in the med school class groups so that's another avenue.

2. We have a 4-week dedicated Step 1 prep period, and 8-week dedicated Step 2 period. This was a recent change as students voiced that they would prefer to have more time studying for Step 2, given that it'll probably be more important now that Step 1 is P/F. A section of your exams will be NBME questions as well. We also have a dedicated Step 1 course director, so there are a lot of resources available.

With regards to the curriculum, here are the things that I like:
  • Shortened preclinical so we can get to clinical rotations earlier.​
  • A lot of breaks built into the schedule, so you don't get too burnt out.​
  • The Simulation Center is phenomenal. Most students enjoy the simulation experiences they have for us. The staff is awesome too, they host fun events like a zombie apocalypse-themed trauma simulation for Halloween​
  • Lectures are recorded and not a lot of mandatory stuff (I suppose this one is pretty common)​
  • Nothing is scheduled the day before exams so you can study, relax, whatever you want to do​
  • Small groups get shuffled every block, so you get to know people in the class pretty well​
  • Free stethoscope from med school donors​
  • Not a lot of residents, so you get to work with the attendings directly (can be a pro or con depending on how you look at things. I think it's nice)​
  • We get split up into 4 different campuses for clinical rotations, so you potentially have to move after 20 months (unless you get assigned to Grand Forks)
  • Research opportunities are lacking, a con if you're interested in a competitive specialty. They are trying to improve this though
  • Remediation happens in elective blocks, so if you fail a block, there's a chance you may not be able to do research the summer between M1 and M2
  • Not a lot of residency programs at UND, so less PDs are available who can make calls for you.
  • Med school building is pretty far from the undergrad campus, where a lot of the amenities are

3. Hockey games (especially going out downtown after) are very common things to do. Unfortunately, there isn't really much to do in Grand Forks aside from that. The preclinical curriculum does have quite a lot of breaks so you can always travel elsewhere if (when?) you get sick of Grand Forks. With regards to unique traditions, I started in the weird COVID era so I don't know much outside of virtual stuff, but upperclassmen have told me that in the past, the Dean rents out the North Dakota Museum of Art and hosts a reception there for 1st years to just talk and hang out. There's fancy food and drinks served. I don't know if they are going to bring it back in the future, but I think that'll be nice. I know current students are planning Med Prom and that'll be a yearly thing. The social events vary from year to year depending on the class's social committee.

So that was a lot, but I hope it's informative. Let me know if you have other questions/follow up questions.
I am accepted for the 2023 entering class through INMED. I believe one of the admissions officers starts one closer to the date of matriculation! I would be interested in joining one earlier, though.
We can absolutely wait! I figure a decent number of students will shift around but I would be happy to start an introductory group!

We can absolutely wait! I figure a decent number of students will shift around but I would be happy to start an introductory group!
If you want to start an introductory group I will definitely join! Let me know what the group name is if and when you make it!

Anyone have any insights on waitlist movement? I know in last year’s thread someone was accepted at #12 but was curious if this was common or not

Reactions: 1 users