2022-2023 Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank your @runner31 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Northwestern (Feinberg) Secondary Essay Prompts: (you will be writing at least 5 essays, answer #5 and #6 if applicable)

1. PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Given the distinctive educational philosophy and integrated curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would align with the institution. (200 word max)

2. COPING SKILLS: Describe specific steps you take to manage your stress and maintain wellness while balancing personal, educational, and professional responsibilities. (200 word max)

3. FUTURE CAREER PLANS: Feinberg’s mission is to train future leaders in medicine who will serve their patients, communities and society. Describe one specific goal within medicine and how FSM, located in Chicago which is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the country, will help you achieve this professional goal. (200 word max)

4. COVID-19 IMPACT: Describe how the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your pathway to medical school. Include any academic, personal, financial or professional challenges, as well as any other relevant information. (200 word max)

5. POST-UNDERGRADUATE EXPERIENCES (
if applicable): If you have a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe both your completed activities and future plans during the gap period. (200 word max)

6. REAPPLICANT (
if applicable): If you are a reapplicant this cycle, please address steps taken to improve your application for medical school. (200 word max)

7. Personal Narrative: The Feinberg School of Medicine values diversity as a measure of excellence. We define diversity as the totality of the characteristics and experiences of our students. We believe that a diverse student body improves the educational environment and the ability of our graduates to serve an increasingly diverse patient population. Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about how your experiences would enrich the Northwestern community. (200 word max)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary questions have not changed since last year. Here's to pre-writing!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc

OOS Secondary Received.

1. PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Given the distinctive educational philosophy and integrated curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would align with the institution. (200 word max)

2. COPING SKILLS: Describe specific steps you take to manage your stress and maintain wellness while balancing personal, educational, and professional responsibilities. (200 word max)

3. FUTURE CAREER PLANS: Feinberg’s mission is to train future leaders in medicine who will serve their patients, communities and society. Describe one specific goal within medicine and how FSM, located in Chicago which is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the country, will help you achieve this professional goal. (200 word max)

4. COVID-19 IMPACT: Describe how the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your pathway to medical school. Include any academic, personal, financial or professional challenges, as well as any other relevant information. (200 word max)

5. POST-UNDERGRADUATE EXPERIENCES (if applicable): If you have a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe both your completed activities and future plans during the gap period. (200 word max)

6. REAPPLICANT (if applicable): If you are a reapplicant this cycle, please address steps taken to improve your application for medical school. (200 word max)

7. Personal Narrative: The Feinberg School of Medicine values diversity as a measure of excellence. We define diversity as the totality of the characteristics and experiences of our students. We believe that a diverse student body improves the educational environment and the ability of our graduates to serve an increasingly diverse patient population. Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about how your experiences would enrich the Northwestern community. (200 word max)

Reactions: 1 users
@wysdoc
OOS Secondary for MSTP

MSTP Essays​

1. Why did you choose your undergraduate major? How does the subject appeal to you?

(200 word max)

2. Name a scientific paper that you have read recently that had a strong impact on you and describe what impact it had.

(200 word max)

3. Discuss a current unanswered question in biomedical research that you find particularly interesting and what research you would like to see done to address it.

(200 word max)

4. If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans.

(200 word max)

5. If you are a re-applicant this cycle, please address steps taken to improve your application. If not a reapplicant, please enter "N/A".
(200 words max)

6. What is the most gratifying research experience you have had to date and why? What was the greatest obstacle you had to overcome in research and how did you overcome it?

(200 word max)

7. Describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your pathway to medical school. Include any academic, personal, financial or professional barriers, as well as any other relevant information.

(200 word max)

9. Personal Narrative

The Feinberg School of Medicine values diversity as a measure of excellence. We define diversity as the totality of the characteristics and experiences of our students. We believe that a diverse student body improves the educational environment and the ability of our graduates to serve an increasingly diverse patient population.
Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about how your experiences would enrich the Northwestern community.

(200 word max)

Northwestern's website states: "If you submit Individual Letters, you will need to submit a total of three separate letters to meet Feinberg’s letters requirement." Does that mean only three are allowed to be submitted? or at least three?

Northwestern's website states: "If you submit Individual Letters, you will need to submit a total of three separate letters to meet Feinberg’s letters requirement." Does that mean only three are allowed to be submitted? or at least three?
It appears to be 3 only, maximum also listed as 3. Sources for letters: "If you submit Individual Letters, you will need to submit a total of three separate letters to meet Feinberg’s letters requirement. At least one of these letters should come from a science faculty member who has taught you. The other two letters may come from a variety of sources, preferably faculty members (science or non-science) or a research supervisor, but may also include a long-term employer."

Reactions: 1 user
6. REAPPLICANT (if applicable): If you are a reapplicant this cycle, please address steps taken to improve your application for medical school. (200 word max)
I am reapplying to medical school in general, but this will be my first time applying to Northwestern Feinberg. Do I NEED to complete this question? If no, should I?

Edit: For anybody who was wondering about this question, I called their MD admissions office and they said no.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I am reapplying to medical school in general, but this will be my first time applying to Northwestern Feinberg. Do I NEED to complete this question? If no, should I?

Edit: For anybody who was wondering about this question, I called their MD admissions office and they said no.
I'm in the same boat, so asked the admissions committee chair and this is what he said:

"This question is primarily intended for reapplicants to Northwestern University, but we would recommend that you share significant application improvements in this section if applicable. To aid the reviewer of your application, you should mention that you are a reapplicant but did not previously apply to NU MSTP if you do share information in this section."

you're doing god's work, thank you dude. did you decide not to complete the question?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students here? I was wondering if NW is shifting to an abbreviated preclinical especially now that step 1 is P/F. Thanks

Heads up, y'all, the application fee payment didn't work for me on Firefox or Safari, but did work on Chrome.

My dad is a graduate of the Northwestern Dental School. Is this something I should add in the 'direct relations' question? I'm not 100% sure if the Dental School was affiliated with Feinberg. Thanks all!

Grain of salt, but I would say yeah because there's an affiliation to the graduate school. Does it specifically say Feinberg or just Northwestern graduate, I can't remember

Any current students here? I was wondering if NW is shifting to an abbreviated preclinical especially now that step 1 is P/F. Thanks

Not to my knowledge. At least admin hasn't said anything about it.

IS received + Submitted today. TBH this is a reach school for me so hopefully they wont reject me right away :rofl: Good luck everyone!

What is a MSTP Applicant? Do MD applying student should answer these?

II just received!! Oh gosh, this is happening!! Good luck everyone!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
one more school added to my source of anxiety

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
II just received!! Oh gosh, this is happening!! Good luck everyone!!
Congrats bro! We have identical stats pubs and everything lol. Hopefully this just a smaller number wave of IIs being sent out lol -- can u see what the dates/slots are like when u go to sign up for an interview?

Congrats bro! We have identical stats pubs and everything lol. Hopefully this just a smaller number wave of IIs being sent out lol -- can u see what the dates/slots are like when u go to sign up for an interview?
It's the last two weeks in August. So very surreal here. Based on last years thread, II seem to roll out randomly throughout the fall.

I got an invitation to submit to Northwestern from their office of diversity, thinking it's just because I'm URM, is it worth it to put my hat in the ring as an OOS applicant? Or do these invitation emails not mean much

I got an invitation to submit to Northwestern from their office of diversity, thinking it's just because I'm URM, is it worth it to put my hat in the ring as an OOS applicant? Or do these invitation emails not mean much
Well, they meant something for at least one person. :)

state residency doesn't matter to northwestern because it is private. I'd say go ahead to apply if you want to but don't think of that as a guaranteed acceptance, most of these emails are just money grabbing scams

If I accidentally submitted more than 3 letters of recommendation, should I write them an email apology for the confusion or just leave it be?

If I accidentally submitted more than 3 letters of recommendation, should I write them an email apology for the confusion or just leave it be?
Just leave be, imo. They'll either look at all or ignore the last, maybe. But nothing to apologize for really

I submitted 06/29 and haven’t heard anything. Does that probably mean I got an R or am on hold? I am starting to lose hope. I am an OOS ORM with LM 83.

Is it too late to submit my Northwestern Secondary? It's been about a month since I got it but I lost steam right before I got to this one. But coming back, I'm literally facepalming because I already had well-written answers for these prompts from other school essays. Is it still worth submitting, or has the cycle gotten too far and it would just be a waste of money?

LM 82, WARS probably low 90s if those stats figure into it at all