2022 VIRMP Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, feeling pretty down and having massive imposter syndrome. I haven't heard anything from a single academic rotating internship. Has anyone heard from NC state, Tennessee, U o Georgia, Cornell, Colorado State, U Penn, Purdue, Missouri, U o Ontario, or Illinois? I know some people have already got TAMU, U of Florida, and Wisconsin, which I haven't unfortunately.

I have heard back from every private and most said some really positive things about my application strength and LORs. I know historically some places don't interview, but I'm just worried I did something wrong to have heard nothing....
Hang in there! The only other one on this list I’ve heard from is Missouri. I’m in the same boat with nothing from NC state, TN, Colorado etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, feeling pretty down and having massive imposter syndrome. I haven't heard anything from a single academic rotating internship. Has anyone heard from NC state, Tennessee, U o Georgia, Cornell, Colorado State, U Penn, Purdue, Missouri, U o Ontario, or Illinois? I know some people have already got TAMU, U of Florida, and Wisconsin, which I haven't unfortunately.

I have heard back from every private and most said some really positive things about my application strength and LORs. I know historically some places don't interview, but I'm just worried I did something wrong to have heard nothing....
I have heard from Ontario and Illinois

The academic ones are really confusing and a little frustrating.
I have heard from Ontario and Illinois
Ontario current interns said they didn't do interviews!? I'm so confused lol.
I'm waiting to hear back from some academic places and they're all over the place about whether or not they interview/who they interview... I just want to know if I'm even in the running!!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm waiting to hear back from some academic places and they're all over the place about whether or not they interview/who they interview... I just want to know if I'm even in the running!!
I was interviewed at ovc. But I agree it seems all over the place!

Ugh same, I wish they would just send out a "Hey thanks for applying but we aren't interested in you!" so I can stop aggressively refreshing my email.

Ugh same, I wish they would just send out a "Hey thanks for applying but we aren't interested in you!" so I can stop aggressively refreshing my email.
Exactly! Like reject me already so I can move on with my life 😅

Reactions: 1 user
Places usually won’t “reject you” because anything can happen on match day. Maybe you’re not one of their top choices but if you go unmatched and they do too, they may be more than willing to consider you and vice versa. They’re not going to burn any bridges by telling applicants no thanks. Rank your places how you want them. Ranking a place that doesn’t want you back isn’t a problem the match will just move on down your list.

Edit to prove I’ve been there: I ranked 30 places, essentially all vet schools and two private practices. I matched to my 27th choice out of those 30. Most people don’t rank that many and most people match higher on their list. I thought I needed to be at a school with a pathologist since I wanted to do pathology. I knew it was unlikely that I would end up at the academic places at the top of my list because my GPA wasn’t awesome and they hadn’t interviewed them but I still would have preferred to go there at the time. The place I matched was a private clinic I’d visited and they’d ranked me highly. Since none of the academic places I ranked higher ranked me, I ended up where I did and it worked out great.

If we haven't been contacted for an interview at wisconsin (SA rotating) is it safe to assume they aren't interested? I'll still be ranking them regardless, but I'm just trying to understand where I stand. I have heard from a few academics, but not others (or those that I expected to hear from), so I am feeling a bit bummed

If we haven't been contacted for an interview at wisconsin (SA rotating) is it safe to assume they aren't interested? I'll still be ranking them regardless, but I'm just trying to understand where I stand. I have heard from a few academics, but not others (or those that I expected to hear from), so I am feeling a bit bummed
I don't know. But a girl I know from a different school received her Wisconsin interview a week before mine. I think they are working down the list, so to speak. Ranking isn't until the 18th, so we may hear more next week.

got an email from them that they have sent out all invites!

Has anyone heard anything from the zoo/small animal combined programs? I haven’t heard anything from University of Florida, University of Tennessee, or LSU.

I’m down to my last 2 interviews over the next few days and tbh so relieved 😅
I never thought I’d be all interviewed-out! Thankful for places that have been asking some out of the box questions

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone getting anxious about not hearing from programs for interviews, here's some info that will hopefully help!

My friend is faculty at an academic institution and on the internship committee there. He described to me how the process works on the other end (again this is for rotating internships, much different for residencies). Most programs get literally hundreds of applications, so they are split up and given to all of the people on the committee. Each person then evaluates the group of applications they have, and typically will select a few they feel should move forward (whether that is for interviews or just to go into the final pool). They then advocate for those applicants with the whole group, and the group decides on the final ranking list.

All that to say- the committee members are also faculty and usually have their hands full with lots of things. So while one member from the committee might have already called and selected their applicants to move forward, another may not have had time to do so yet! I don't know if every place works like this, but I suspect a lot of them do. So don't worry if you haven't heard from a program- there's still time!

Reactions: 6 users

Hey there- I'm a current student at NC State. They don't typically do interviews for rotating internships, but do sometimes send out emails right before the deadline to ask if you have any questions about the program.

Any insights from the other side on how the selection process for residency interviews work?

Any insights from the other side on how the selection process for residency interviews work?
I'm not totally sure how it works BUT one thing I did find helpful was looking up research that has been done on what criteria is used e.g. A survey of criteria used to evaluate applications for small animal surgery residency positions - PubMed

In my experience from watching friends in academia, the same as described above. If there’s a lot of apps they’re divided amongst the group (sometimes weeded by gpa or something arbitrary before being distributed to the group depending on program and numbers), group members each make a short list from their pile then the short lists are reviewed and discussed by everyone, interviews are done, and then people are ranked.

My specialty is smaller with fewer applicants but also way fewer spots. We averaged 25 applicants or so when I was in academia still. Our program director put all the application materials for everyone in a file sharing site and we all reviewed independently over a week or so and made lists with comments and who we thought should get an interview. We met at lunch, went through the names one by one and discussed why we did or didn’t like their apps. It was usually easy to pick a top three to five, a mid tier that were acceptable but not as strong, and about half who we weren’t interested in at all. Pathology isn’t in the match so it’s a little different from that point…where places in the match would then interview their chosen number and rank, being outside the match we could offer interviews to the top 3 or so first, offer the position if we wanted to, and then make offers to others if our choices picked a different program or even start interviewing the “second tier” of our list if needed.

How are you guys ranking?

Here are my considerations: friendly staff/faculty> manageable workload> mentorship support> vacation days (lol) > support with ER overnights> # of elective weeks > health insurance provided > manageable case load (not too busy not too slow) > location> pay.

Just curious as to everyone's personal preferences.

How are you guys ranking?

Here are my considerations: friendly staff/faculty> manageable workload> mentorship support> vacation days (lol) > support with ER overnights> # of elective weeks > health insurance provided > manageable case load (not too busy not too slow) > location> pay.

Just curious as to everyone's personal preferences.
Do they have the specialty I'm interested in? If not, how many elective weeks? Work environment (friendly staff, mentorship/support, good feedback from past interns, any inkling of effort to not make interns miserable)? Pay/benefits?

Each institution will have their own protocol obviously but I did my surgery residency in academia and we received 150+ applications each year that I was there. The applications were divided into several groups alphabetically and teams (1 faculty member, 1 resident) would review and rank all the applications within their group. Aspects of the application were weighted differently depending on importance (with LORs, publications/research experience, and GPA/class rank receiving the most weight). The top ranked candidates in each group were then offered interviews.

Has anyone heard anything from the zoo/small animal combined programs? I haven’t heard anything from University of Florida, University of Tennessee, or LSU.
I didn't apply to all of 'em but nothing from UT; not even a confirmation they received my additional cover letter so I have no idea where I stand :(

my list is finalized. What are the chances that those that got email interest and interviews from academics will be ranked? How many do you think they rank?

my list is finalized. What are the chances that those that got email interest and interviews from academics will be ranked? How many do you think they rank?
I talked to a decently competitive private program director and they said they typically go down their list to a bit less than double the number they have positions (ex- if they have 8 spots they end up going down to their 13-14th ranked candidate). So you would assume programs rank at least 2 people for every spot, maybe more to not go unmatched if they have enough good candidates.

Going to post this out here for the sake of people trying to figure out what programs typically reach out during next year's cycle. I appreciated everyone sharing in previous years so I could go through my program list and see who I could potentially expect to reach out or from whom radio silence would be bad.

I applied to Auburn, CSU, Cornell, UF, Friendship, UGA, Illinois, Iowa State, Michigan State, UMN, OVC, Penn, UTK, Texas A&M, Tufts, VCA West LA, and Wheat Ridge. (Also 1 smaller private practice that I am omitting for privacy reasons)

I received interviews from UF, Friendship, Illinois, and Wheat Ridge.
I was contacted by Texas A&M, Iowa State, and Michigan State to say they were very interested in my application but that the program wasn't doing interviews this year.

I do regret applying to so many places; I only planned on 10 but I then accidentally applied somewhere off of my top 10 to which meant I didn't have space for one of my top programs. Once I bought the next level of application I figured I might as well just apply to a bunch more since I had the opportunity.

Reactions: 2 users
Also posting for the sake of next years applicants trying to figure out who contacts people:

I applied to CSU, Penn, Georgia, Wheat Ridge, Friendship, Wisconsin, NC State, Cornell, Kansas State, Texas A&M
I received interviews from Friendship, Wheat Ridge, CSU, and Wisconsin
I was contacted by Texas A&M to say they were interested in my application but not interviewing
Radio silence from Penn, Georgia, NC State, Cornell, and Kansas

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed: LSU, Mississippi, OSU, Wisconsin, VCA WLA
Emails saying they were interested: TAMU, Michigan, Cornell, Virginia Tech, Missouri
Nothing: KSU, NCSU, UGA, Penn

I interviewed: LSU, Mississippi, OSU, Wisconsin, VCA WLA
Emails saying they were interested: TAMU, Michigan, Cornell, Virginia Tech, Missouri
Nothing: KSU, NCSU, UGA, Penn
Are these for rotating internship or residency?

Also posting as a reference for rotating internships for next years applicants

Interviews: CSU, AMC, Wisconsin, Wheat Ridge, Missouri, UF, Ohio State

Emails expressing interest: NCSU, VA-MD, Cornell, Iowa

Nothing from: Penn, Georgia, TAMU, Tennessee, Tufts, Purdue, Kansas, Auburn

Last edited:
Good luck everyone! Besides Match Day being tomorrow, take a deep breath and realize that we are almost doctors who did the dang thing! It is an accomplishment to be where we are, and May is not too far! :)

To everyone (and myself)

It’s just an algorithm. This doesn’t determine the type of doctor you will be. This doesn’t affect who you are. So if you match at your top hospital, last hospital, or don’t match at all, it’s going to be okay. Your internship is what you put into it, and regardless where you end up, you’ll do great. <3

Reactions: 9 users
Matched mid-way down my list. Was definitely crossing my fingers for my #1, but I'm still happy with where I ended up and I am looking forward to it. :)

Irony is I was trying to escape winter after the last 4 years and am going to be moving somewhere known for terrible winters. :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Matched #1 for an ECC residency! I won’t be sharing where for privacy reasons but I’m absolutely stoked!

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Congrats to everyone who matched and good luck to people in the scramble!! Remember it is in no way a reflection of you, it's that damn algorithm!
Matched to one of my top choices!!! <3

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Matched mid-way down my list. Was definitely crossing my fingers for my #1, but I'm still happy with where I ended up and I am looking forward to it. :)

Irony is I was trying to escape winter after the last 4 years and am going to be moving somewhere known for terrible winters. :laugh:
one smol shorty's ears perk up

Reactions: 2 users