2022 VIRMP Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched to a radiology residency!!! I’m so stoked!!!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Just wanted to reach out to people who may not have matched - it sucks, a lot. You can be sad, angry, frustrated, confused…but don’t let it define you. Take some time to feel whatever it is you’re feeling. Then make a plan. Been there, done that, and ended up back in my field of choice a few years later. Hang in there :)

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
one smol shorty's ears perk up
I don’t think I’m quite where you are, unless you moved after vet school already haha.
Imagine living in a place described as having terrible winters. *shudder*
The winters are still warmer than my current location so I can’t complain too much lol.

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Matched to an internal medicine internship in NY…anyone wanna give any heads up prior to the start date?!

Thinking of everyone who didn't get their top choice, or who didn't match.

I had to scramble in 2021 and it was one of the worst days of my professional life. I felt like a failure (not true, its an algorithm and does not judge your worth as a doctor). But I scrambled into a specialty internship and successfully matched to a residency yesterday!

Please message me if you feel alone or just need to vent. I know how hard it can be to talk about with people who haven't been through it.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Another anecdote to hopefully give some hope to those in the scramble - two of my best friends had to scramble for their rotating internships (2020 and 2021). One matched the next year into a residency and the other just matched into a specialty internship. So keep your heads up! :)

Reactions: 3 users
For anyone reading this in the future: I had a subpar GPA and class rank (bottom 25%) and kept asking my advisor if I had a chance to matching and he never gave me a straight answer. I even considered just going straight into GP because I just didn't think I was good enough and wanted to save myself from rejection. After talking to my very supportive friends and my SO, I decided to shoot my shot for the match and ended up at my top program (even in the description they said they preferred candidates to have excellent academic records).

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone reading this in the future: I had a subpar GPA and class rank (bottom 25%) and kept asking my advisor if I had a chance to matching and he never gave me a straight answer. I even considered just going straight into GP because I just didn't think I was good enough and wanted to save myself from rejection. After talking to my very supportive friends and my SO, I decided to shoot my shot for the match and ended up at my top program (even in the description they said they preferred candidates to have excellent academic records).

To jump on this, I had a GPA of 3.0 and ranked in the bottom ~15% and was pretty worried about matching compared to the stats of other classmates that were applying. I had the same reasons of vb for considering not applying. I decided to apply and worst case scenario would go into ER practice with mentorship. Only 1/10 places I applied to even asked me about my GPA/class rank, I didn’t like that places vibe either though.

I matched my top program and accepted the position yesterday. Don’t lose hope or not apply because of some of your stats. I was told my letters and personality during interview were a selling point!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Totally agree, the scramble was one of the worst days of my life (I say this knowing how cush my life has been) - but the private practice place I scrambled into for my rotating has been so amazing and incredibly I matched to a residency this year - dont give up, keep working hard!

• Love
To jump on this, I had a GPA of 3.0 and ranked in the bottom ~15% and was pretty worried about matching compared to the stats of other classmates that were applying. I had the same reasons of vb for considering not applying. I decided to apply and worst case scenario would go into ER practice with mentorship. Only 1/10 places I applied to even asked me about my GPA/class rank, I didn’t like that places vibe either though.

I matched my top program and accepted the position yesterday. Don’t lose hope or not apply because of some of your stats. I was told my letters and personality during interview were a selling point!
Continuing to echo this sentiment, my GPA was a 3.32 and my class rank was in the lower half, basically bottom 30%. Average at best and I still got into an amazing hospital and got lots of interviews :) So did all of my friends and most of them had similar stats to myself, you can do it!

• Love
Based on everyone’s experience here, is a rotating internship mandatory prior to applying to a residency? In my case I matched directly to an internal medicine specialty internship rather than a rotating. So what do you guys think? I also have 1 year of private practice experience and will have this specialty internship experience before the residency. So would a rotating be necessary?

Based on everyone’s experience here, is a rotating internship mandatory prior to applying to a residency? In my case I matched directly to an internal medicine specialty internship rather than a rotating. So what do you guys think? I also have 1 year of private practice experience and will have this specialty internship experience before the residency. So would a rotating be necessary?
From what I understand it varies depending on the program and the specialty, but I wouldn't say a rotating is necessary after a specialty internship unless it's a different field. For example you may not get an optho residency off a surgical specialty internship per se (made up example using specialties off the top of my head)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

I would read through the requirements here: Certification

And reach out to someone as a quick look shows they do have in their website “Complete a one-year rotating internship in medicine and surgery or equivalent broad based clinical experience,” but I don’t know what an equivalent broad based clinical experience consists of.

• Love
I would read through the requirements here: Certification

And reach out to someone as a quick look shows they do have in their website “Complete a one-year rotating internship in medicine and surgery or equivalent broad based clinical experience,” but I don’t know what an equivalent broad based clinical experience consists of.
n=1, but I went straight into an ECC specialty internship out of school (I didn't even have a year's experience like you do). When I was searching around for residencies, I asked if it was okay/ allowed that I did a specialty internship instead and I didn't have a single person say anything bad about that.

In fact, most of them just chuckled and said that my experience was more than enough (because instead of getting ECC 50% of the time in my schedule, I'm 100% ECC). So it SHOULD be fine and don't anticipate you having any problems.

Reactions: 3 users
Continuing to echo this sentiment, my GPA was a 3.32 and my class rank was in the lower half, basically bottom 30%. Average at best and I still got into an amazing hospital and got lots of interviews :) So did all of my friends and most of them had similar stats to myself, you can do it

I'll also admit: I had subpar grades (3.2?) in the bottom ~30% of the class at a "lesser" state school, and I matched #1 for my internship and my residency. It's just one part of the equation, it's absolutely not the whole thing. I know that I had stellar LOR's for both from people who knew me, and interviewed very well. Grades truly are not everything

and yes, I know that if you search threads from fall 2017- spring 2018, you'll see me having absolute meltdowns in getting *gasp* C's. ya girl almost failed out of vet school second semester. So use this as a learning tool:

it doesn't matter

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone can share matching a veterinary internship as a foreign graduate? Do they even stand a chance? If yes, how can they improve their probability? Thanks

Anyone can share matching a veterinary internship as a foreign graduate? Do they even stand a chance? If yes, how can they improve their probability? Thanks
I'm attending University College Dublin and matched to an academic small animal rotating internship if you'd like to PM me, so they (we) do stand a chance. I don't know about how to improve your probability of matching compared to other graduates, but maybe I can answer some other questions if you have any.

I'm attending University College Dublin and matched to an academic small animal rotating internship if you'd like to PM me, so they (we) do stand a chance. I don't know about how to improve your probability of matching compared to other graduates, but maybe I can answer some other questions if you have any.
Just curious if you’re a US/Canada citizen who studied abroad or if your citizenship is in another country? I replied to Vetob in another thread and just wanted to be sure to clarify that since in my experience, it’s different for US citizens who went to vet school abroad and are wanting to return to the US for internship/residency versus someone who is a citizen of a different country. Obviously your input is very valuable either way since you’ve had personal experience with it but I think it’s an important distinction to point out. And congrats on matching!

Just curious if you’re a US/Canada citizen who studied abroad or if your citizenship is in another country? I replied to Vetob in another thread and just wanted to be sure to clarify that since in my experience, it’s different for US citizens who went to vet school abroad and are wanting to return to the US for internship/residency versus someone who is a citizen of a different country. Obviously your input is very valuable either way since you’ve had personal experience with it but I think it’s an important distinction to point out. And congrats on matching!
No worries and thanks! That's definitely an important point to clarify. I do have American citizenship. Another important distinction is that Dublin is AVMA accredited, so I just took the NAVLE like everyone else and didn't need to undergo the ECFVG process.

Hello! Baby 4th year vet student here. I have been thinking about the upcoming match like crazy. Like some of y’all, I have a lower GPA compared to other candidates (not in the top 30%). For those who had a lower GPA, did you match with an academic institution? Besides AMC, academic is my main priority as I’ve been told it’s the fastest way to track towards a radiology residency.

Did anyone apply to Wheat Ridge? I emailed asking about an interview and they emailed me back saying they aren't doing "additional interviews" so idk if that means I'm not initially a candidate they selected or they're not interviewing. They're VIRMP page doesn't say anything about an interview so idk what's happening.
I also applied there for their rotating internship and haven't heard anything. My GPA/rank is competitive, but definitely not top of the class. Not sure if that helps...

Did anyone apply to Wheat Ridge? I emailed asking about an interview and they emailed me back saying they aren't doing "additional interviews" so idk if that means I'm not initially a candidate they selected or they're not interviewing. They're VIRMP page doesn't say anything about an interview so idk what's happening.

I also applied there for their rotating internship and haven't heard anything. My GPA/rank is competitive, but definitely not top of the class. Not sure if that helps...
Let me contact my friend who applied/interviewed there for her rotating internship. I'll let you know what she says

• Love
PS Moose was last year applying (this is the 2022 thread) but the new reply is from this year
Ah yes. Jan 2022 for Moose, who now already has a residency lined up 🤣 Excuse my blonde self. I had just gotten home from an overnight

• Haha
My friend who interviewed at WRAH told me that she didn't hear from them until the email about the interview. No further information than that

To all worrying about your rank: Your rank doesnt really matter, you will get an internship somewhere! Last year, I believe the number was exceptionally high (like almost half?) Of posted internships either did not fill all of their seats or got *any* matches. It's a buyers market for internships. Residencies, on the other hand are a whole other ballgame...

Going to post this out here for the sake of people trying to figure out what programs typically reach out during next year's cycle. I appreciated everyone sharing in previous years so I could go through my program list and see who I could potentially expect to reach out or from whom radio silence would be bad.

I applied to Auburn, CSU, Cornell, UF, Friendship, UGA, Illinois, Iowa State, Michigan State, UMN, OVC, Penn, UTK, Texas A&M, Tufts, VCA West LA, and Wheat Ridge. (Also 1 smaller private practice that I am omitting for privacy reasons)

I received interviews from UF, Friendship, Illinois, and Wheat Ridge.
I was contacted by Texas A&M, Iowa State, and Michigan State to say they were very interested in my application but that the program wasn't doing interviews this year.

I do regret applying to so many places; I only planned on 10 but I then accidentally applied somewhere off of my top 10 to which meant I didn't have space for one of my top programs. Once I bought the next level of application I figured I might as well just apply to a bunch more since I had the opportunity.
About when did you start hearing from these programs?