2022 VIRMP Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone apply to Wheat Ridge? I emailed asking about an interview and they emailed me back saying they aren't doing "additional interviews" so idk if that means I'm not initially a candidate they selected or they're not interviewing. They're VIRMP page doesn't say anything about an interview so idk what's happening.
I refer to them from my hospital relatively frequently. They are absolutely slammed right now (COVID and animals), so I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't doing interviews at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone apply to Wheat Ridge? I emailed asking about an interview and they emailed me back saying they aren't doing "additional interviews" so idk if that means I'm not initially a candidate they selected or they're not interviewing. They're VIRMP page doesn't say anything about an interview so idk what's happening.
Lol I did not apply but am still wondering what academic internships do interview!

Womp womp, they emailed me back and said they're only doing a select number of interviews this year. They may expand the applicant pool later but for now, they're all set.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Womp womp, they emailed me back and said they're only doing a select number of interviews this year. They may expand the applicant pool later but for now, they're all set.
welp -- two down 😅😅

• Care

Yeah I’m interviewing there, I think invites only just went out so maybe check your email?

ETA: oops didn’t see the other replies… Ugh sorry that sucks guys. Hopefully they expand the interview pool more.

Last edited:
  • Love
May have changed but they didn’t do interviews when I applied. I wouldn’t panic!

When should you start the process for looking for internships (through match or otherwise)? How many letters of rec should you shoot for?

I had a few internship places I wanted in mind prior to vet school, but really because I worked at said locations. Otherwise, I didn't know any others until the VIRMP opened up this year (Sept 1 programs could begin to put in info... but most had it in closer to deadline of Oct 14). I spent a month going over locations I'd like to live in and the internship programs in those areas. I narrowed it down to 10 choices and applied to all of them.

I opted for using all 4 letter of rec spots since I do have someone non-boarded that I thought was really important to include. I have read and heard that it's better to only get 3, but *shrug* I don't really know if that's a thing. I expressed interest to the letter writers at the start of my rotations so they knew I'd be asking for a strong letter of rec after we've had a chance to work together. I also provided them with a completed CV and my letter of intent/personal statement so they had more to go off of. My letter writers also helped me vamp up my CV and letter of intent, which was handy!

Reactions: 3 users
I had a few internship places I wanted in mind prior to vet school, but really because I worked at said locations. Otherwise, I didn't know any others until the VIRMP opened up this year (Sept 1 programs could begin to put in info... but most had it in closer to deadline of Oct 14). I spent a month going over locations I'd like to live in and the internship programs in those areas. I narrowed it down to 10 choices and applied to all of them.

I opted for using all 4 letter of rec spots since I do have someone non-boarded that I thought was really important to include. I have read and heard that it's better to only get 3, but *shrug* I don't really know if that's a thing. I expressed interest to the letter writers at the start of my rotations so they knew I'd be asking for a strong letter of rec after we've had a chance to work together. I also provided them with a completed CV and my letter of intent/personal statement so they had more to go off of. My letter writers also helped me vamp up my CV and letter of intent, which was handy!
Thank you so much for the information!
Ended up going down a rabbit hole of looking at how to write a letter of intent. At least it’s productive procrastination :bag:

When should you start the process for looking for internships (through match or otherwise)? How many letters of rec should you shoot for?
Occasionally over the past few years I would procrastinate things I had to do by casually scrolling through VIRMP listings to see what was out there (it made me just as excited as creeping my vet school's website before I got in used to, and thus was great procrastination). I started seriously looking at places this fall as they got posted, since I had a better idea what I was looking for. What I thought was important to me 2 years ago is very different than what is important to me now.

I have 4 letters of reference; I had never heard that some people recommend 3 instead (I guess I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time I'm applying). :shrug:

ETA: Similar to above, I let my reference writers know at the beginning of the rotation that I was applying to the match and would appreciate if they could keep an eye on me (at least for those that I didn't already have an established relationship with). I sent my LOI and CV to all of them before they wrote them.

Definitely find some faculty to read over your letter of intent and CV. I had one of my mentors/references as well as a resident friend of mine go over my application to help me fine tune it. It helped a lot!

Last edited:

Occasionally over the past few years I would procrastinate things I had to do by casually scrolling through VIRMP listings to see what was out there (it made me just as excited as creeping my vet school's website before I got in used to, and thus was great procrastination). I started seriously looking at places this fall as they got posted, since I had a better idea what I was looking for. What I thought was important to me 2 years ago is very different than what is important to me now.

I have 4 letters of reference; I had never heard that some people recommend 3 instead (I guess I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time I'm applying). :shrug:

ETA: Similar to above, I let my reference writers know at the beginning of the rotation that I was applying to the match and would appreciate if they could keep an eye on me (at least for those that I didn't already have an established relationship with). I sent my LOI and CV to all of them before they wrote them.

Definitely find some faculty to read over your letter of intent and CV. I had one of my mentors/references as well as a resident friend of mine go over my application to help me fine tune it. It helped a lot!

It's totally fine to have 4, as long as you are confident all 4 are going to be stellar. It's only not recommended to get 4 if that 4th one is maybe not going to be as good as the rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email from Texas A&M - looks like they’re not interviewing this year!

Anyone receive equine surgery/large animal surgery residency interview invites from UC Davis, Ohio State or MSU?

Got an email from Texas A&M - looks like they’re not interviewing this year!
That's crazy if that's for internships since it literally says on their VIRMP page that they will send them out!

for academic rotating internships, I got an email for interviews at TAMU and LSU. Anyone hear from others?

PS I’m new to the forum. :1whistle::1whistle::1whistle:

So far I’ve been contacted about internship interviews for AMC, Wheat Ridge, and UF. Haven’t heard from TAMU, Cornell, Penn, UGA, and Wisconsin

Last edited:
for academic rotating internships, I got an email for interviews at TAMU and LSU. Anyone hear from others?

PS I’m new to the forum. :1whistle::1whistle::1whistle:

So far I’ve been contacted about internship interviews for AMC, Wheat Ridge, and UF. Haven’t heard from TAMU, Cornell, Penn, UGA, and Wisconsin

Out of curiosity- did either of you reach out to these programs prior to an invitation to interview?

Does anyone have any additional insight into Veterinary Specialty Center in Buffalo Grove, IN? I visited them regarding their internship and was really wowed by the facility, but my mentor went there for her ECC internship and had only negative (and really terrible) things to say about them. I really trust my mentor, but I want to get some other outside opinions. I already applied to them, but I'm considering not ranking them based on what my mentor said.

I think it's really important to talk to the places you're applying to. It is crazy how different things can be in practice vs on paper. Visiting residency locations during externships was how I was able to determine my rank list (along with interviews obviously). Some places that on paper seemed like a perfect fit were really not a good match for my personality/learning style/etc.
Would you mind sharing some of the questions you've found it most helpful to ask? Obviously some probably pertain to your particular area of interest, but anything more applicable to the hospital, work/life balance in general would be helpful!

On a thread I posted recently, someone suggested asking about how inpatients are handled (i.e. are you responsible for coming in on your scheduled days off to care for them vs handing them off to the doctors on duty) because they felt that it was something that impacted their QOL during their internship year.

I think it's really important to talk to the places you're applying to. It is crazy how different things can be in practice vs on paper. Visiting residency locations during externships was how I was able to determine my rank list (along with interviews obviously). Some places that on paper seemed like a perfect fit were really not a good match for my personality/learning style/etc.
can you specify if you are looking for residency or internship opportunities as well as which places you've applied/interviewed etc?

can you specify if you are looking for residency or internship opportunities as well as which places you've applied/interviewed etc?
I think you were responding to my comment (sorry if I'm wrong!) - I'm looking at SA rotating internships. I'm not looking to do a residency so I'm less looking for prestige in a program and more quality of life info. I'm a third year now so I'm currently looking to fill two externship slots at places that I would like to rank highly, and I'm trying to get an idea of where that might be. I'm looking to be close to NYC or move to the west coast (Portland, Seattle, coastal CA).

Would you mind sharing some of the questions you've found it most helpful to ask? Obviously some probably pertain to your particular area of interest, but anything more applicable to the hospital, work/life balance in general would be helpful!

On a thread I posted recently, someone suggested asking about how inpatients are handled (i.e. are you responsible for coming in on your scheduled days off to care for them vs handing them off to the doctors on duty) because they felt that it was something that impacted their QOL during their internship year.
So I asked a lot about the mentorship of the programs and on-call or after-hours responsibilities. Also asked about the locations, commutes, places to live, etc. Asked about affordability of living in the location with the salary, if they needed to pick up extra jobs (vaccine clinics, etc). Asked about the support available for research projects (lab animal residency so bit different than a rotating internship). I mean honestly just having an open conversation with the people and making sure your personality will mesh with the current residents was also a big thing for me. Just have to decide what is important for you to know before you sign your life away to them.

Does anyone whose interviewing for a rotating internship at Wisconsin understand if the case we have to present is given to us, or do we have to prepare one ourselves?

Does anyone whose interviewing for a rotating internship at Wisconsin understand if the case we have to present is given to us, or do we have to prepare one ourselves?
What do you mean? How do you know it’s a case based interview? I got an interview but they didn’t mention that. Thanks in advance.

What do you mean? How do you know it’s a case based interview? I got an interview but they didn’t mention that. Thanks in advance.
The person interviewing me said in their email “We also ask all candidates to present a case as if they were transferring it from ER to another service.” That’s all they mentioned so I’m not sure if they’re giving me this case or if I’m supposed to prepare one to round on. It’s a phone interview so it doesn’t sound like a PowerPoint either

The person interviewing me said in their email “We also ask all candidates to present a case as if they were transferring it from ER to another service.” That’s all they mentioned so I’m not sure if they’re giving me this case or if I’m supposed to prepare one to round on. It’s a phone interview so it doesn’t sound like a PowerPoint either

I would just email them back asking for clarification.

I agree that it’s best to email them to clarify. I would bet they want you to have your own case (even if it’s made up), but they won’t be mad if you ask. And if they are that’s pretty telling and would be very informative as well lol.

Obviously this is very different depending on the service, but does anyone have any idea how many applicants a program would usually interview for a residency? I'm applying for radiology residencies and have gotten a few interviews, I'm trying to put my odds in perspective... am I one of 20? 10? 60? I know every program is also different. I just wish that the whole process was more transparent, especially since the match can be so fickle. It would be great to hear: We have 60 applicants, we're interviewing 20, we plan on ranking 15 - best of luck

Florida for example let me know that they have no more interview slots. At this point its way more of a relief to know that I don't have to even put them on my rank list. If anyone else has heard from other programs and is comfortable sharing that would be fantastic!

Last edited:
Obviously this is very different depending on the service, but does anyone have any idea how many applicants a program would usually interview for a residency? I'm applying for radiology residencies and have gotten a few interviews, I'm trying to put my odds in perspective... am I one of 20? 10? 60? I know every program is also different. I just wish that the whole process was more transparent, especially since the match can be so fickle. It would be great to hear: We have 60 applicants, we're interviewing 20, we plan on ranking 15 - best of luck

Florida for example let me know that they have no more interview slots. At this point its way more of a relief to know that I don't have to even put them on my rank list. If anyone else has heard from other programs and is comfortable sharing that would be fantastic!
Can tell you from the lab animal residency world, we've had anywhere from 40+ to only 9 applicants in a year (it varies so much year to year). Both places I've worked though typically will interview between 6-8 applicants. No idea how much that varies based on specialty though and program - places that take multiple residents a year will probably interview more applicants for example.

Hi, has anyone else applying for rotating internships heard from University of Florida, Georgia and Auburn? Feeling gutted as did not receive interview invites
Georgia does not interview for rotating internships and usually does not reach out to applicants before the match.

Has anybody else received emails from programs saying that they are strong candidates and that we should consider ranking them high? I'm wondering if it's legit, or a psychology trick.

@DaPupples I am in pathology so ymmv in a different specialty that has more applicants, but I will say that interviews are very time consuming. Everyone involved in the selection process is extremely busy and fitting in many interviews is a chore (an important one but it’s hard to fit them in between rounds, patients, teaching lectures, journal clubs, etc) so I bet the list of people asked to interview is fairly low…there just aren’t enough hours in the day to interview 40-60 people. Path has was less applicants but we interviewed maybe 5-6 (out of 20-25ish applicants) every year. I honestly don’t know how we could have fit more than 10-12 interviews into the faculty members schedules. I know radiology probably has more applicants than that but I bet the pool is relatively small once you’ve secured an interview for residency.

Has anybody else received emails from programs saying that they are strong candidates and that we should consider ranking them high? I'm wondering if it's legit, or a psychology trick.
Rank based on what you want not what you think others have you ranked as. The algorithm favors your choices so you can be free to rank how you want. They may truly think you’re strong and rank you high, but it can be a psychology trick too. If you’d truly prefer a different clinic over this one, it doesn’t harm your chances at this clinic if you rank a different one higher. Clinics don’t want to go unmatched and have to scramble any more than an applicant does.

Hi, feeling pretty down and having massive imposter syndrome. I haven't heard anything from a single academic rotating internship. Has anyone heard from NC state, Tennessee, U o Georgia, Cornell, Colorado State, U Penn, Purdue, Missouri, U o Ontario, or Illinois? I know some people have already got TAMU, U of Florida, and Wisconsin, which I haven't unfortunately.

I have heard back from every private and most said some really positive things about my application strength and LORs. I know historically some places don't interview, but I'm just worried I did something wrong to have heard nothing....

• Care
Hi, feeling pretty down and having massive imposter syndrome. I haven't heard anything from a single academic rotating internship. Has anyone heard from NC state, Tennessee, U o Georgia, Cornell, Colorado State, U Penn, Purdue, Missouri, U o Ontario, or Illinois? I know some people have already got TAMU, U of Florida, and Wisconsin, which I haven't unfortunately.

I have heard back from every private and most said some really positive things about my application strength and LORs. I know historically some places don't interview, but I'm just worried I did something wrong to have heard nothing....
I haven't heard anything from academic, but did hear from a few private practices. All will be ok!!