2024-2025 Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please share the Secondary essay prompts when available and tag a moderator.

Good luck to all applying!
Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please copy and paste essays composed in Word (or any other word processing program) into Notepad and then into the secondary application. This will ensure that the essays paste correctly into the system.

1 Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. 2000 Characters

2 Being "Women and Men for and with Others" is one of the Jesuit tenets that is critical to CUSOM's mission. How have your values and life experiences aligned with this tenet and reflect how you might to continue to do so while at Creighton? 2000 characters

3 Using an example or examples, describe the effect that your experience(s) engaging with disadvantaged and/or underserved populations have had on you own growth and development. Reflect on how this/these experience(s) will impact your career as a future physician. 2000 characters

4 Describe how you have dealt with a personal challenge or major obstacle that you have overcome. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school. 2000 characters

5 Please reflect on your entire application, is there anything you would like to further share with the Admissions Committee? Gap(s) in your education, personal and/or academic challenges, etc. (optional) 2000 characters

6 Please describe your current activities/employment if you are not currently enrolled as a fulltime student. 2000 characters

7 At Creighton we are committed to the service of others through non-medical volunteer activities. Please list all your non-medical community service hours post high school. Please list any experiences, including those previously described on your AMCAS application. Include a brief description, dates and number of hours for each event. 300 Characters per activity

Additional essays if "Yes"

1 Will you be applying to the Creighton University School of Medicine MD/PHD program?
A: Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine MD/PHD program. Within the essay discuss:
  • How the degree will enhance your medical career.
  • Your personal career goals and how your goals relate to the healthcare community and society as a whole. 2000 Characters
B: Please explain your preparation for the MD/PHD program. Within the essay discuss your significant research experience(s) and technical capabilities. 2000 Characters

2 Will you be applying to The Arrupe Global Scholars and Partnerships Program? Please note that applying for the Program does not exclude you from our separate regular MD applicant pool.

A: What does global health mean to you and how does it apply to your professional goals? (Reflect on your previous experiences in Global Health or share your future aspirations in this field.) 4000 Characters

B: Discuss how the Arrupe Global Scholars and Partnerships Program will prepare you differently than a traditional MD program for a future in Global Health. 4000 Characters

C: Explain why the additional program year obtaining an MPH degree is valuable for your future goals. 2000 Characters

D: Describe how your personal experiences have shaped your understanding of cultural humility. Explain why cultural humility is important for your future in the field of Global Health or important for physicians working in Global Health. 2000 Characters

E: What aspects of the Arrupe Global Scholars and Partnerships program do you foresee to be the most challenging and how would you respond to those challenges? 2000 Characters

@wysdoc

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Submitted and paid but it still says "payment not received". Does anyone else have this issue?

Reactions: 1 user
How did you submit so fast! Aren't some of the questions different from last years?
I prewrote. 1 question I had to redo and another question my essay still fit so I just changed the wording a little bit.

Do we have to submit an official transcript to Creighton's admissions office? Why do they need an official transcript before matriculation? Also, does any other school do this besides Creighton?

What's the difference between the Omaha and Phoenix campuses? The descriptions on the website are essentially the same.

What's the difference between the Omaha and Phoenix campuses? The descriptions on the website are essentially the same.
I believe they are really similar. May come down to where you want to live/what patient population you want to work with

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else get an unprompted phone call today from someone at Creighton telling you that they noticed you submitted your materials but had not yet paid and that they really wanted your payment to be in today? Still trying to decide if I really want to apply to Creighton before I submit the $100, but I think this cemented the no for me. Sorry I don't have the $3,000 for secondary apps just ready to go at a moment's notice!!!

Did anyone else get an unprompted phone call today from someone at Creighton telling you that they noticed you submitted your materials but had not yet paid and that they really wanted your payment to be in today? Still trying to decide if I really want to apply to Creighton before I submit the $100, but I think this cemented the no for me. Sorry I don't have the $3,000 for secondary apps just ready to go at a moment's notice!!!
That's interesting. I have not gotten to completing Creighton's secondary. Imagine they read your materials and want to invite you to interview but can't until you pay the fee 💀

That's interesting. I have not gotten to completing Creighton's secondary. Imagine they read your materials and want to invite you to interview but can't until you pay the fee 💀
if I liked creighton I would embrace the neuroticism and submit immediately but I just dont have those feelings for them :cryi:

yea really odd they are calling you but could be good? I don't think it was automated.

Hi everyone! I'm an M3 at the Omaha campus and I would be happy to answer any questions that y'all may have (if you have a personal question, then feel free to DM me, and if you have a general question, please tag me in a public comment so that everyone can see the question and answer). I'm also happy to briefly review secondary essays if I have time, but just a heads up, right now I'm on my Otolaryngology rotation and soon I'll be on my Vascular Surgery rotation (both are M3 electives that you can take), so my free time is rather limited throughout the upcoming month and I may not be able to give quick responses to DMs :)

Also, I'd highly recommend following the @cusomadmissions Instagram account; they post weekly student takeovers that personally were helpful to me when I was a premed and wanted to learn more about what it's like to be a student at this school (on that note, watching a few of the archived takeovers may be helpful with your "why Creighton?" essay).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I'm an M3 at the Omaha campus and I would be happy to answer any questions that y'all may have (if you have a personal question, then feel free to DM me, and if you have a general question, please tag me in a public comment so that everyone can see the question and answer). I'm also happy to briefly review secondary essays if I have time, but just a heads up, right now I'm on my Otolaryngology rotation and soon I'll be on my Vascular Surgery rotation (both are M3 electives that you can take), so my free time is rather limited throughout the upcoming month and I may not be able to give quick responses to DMs :)

Also, I'd highly recommend following the @cusomadmissions Instagram account; they post weekly student takeovers that personally were helpful to me when I was a premed and wanted to learn more about what it's like to be a student at this school (on that note, watching a few of the archived takeovers may be helpful with your "why Creighton?" essay).
Thanks for being willing to answer questions!! I have a few general ones...

1) What made you choose Creighton over another school?
2) Do you like living in Omaha?
3) What has been your favorite/least favorite part of your experience so far?

Thanks for being willing to answer questions!! I have a few general ones...

1) What made you choose Creighton over another school?
2) Do you like living in Omaha?
3) What has been your favorite/least favorite part of your experience so far?
1) The other school that I got accepted into was Saint Louis, so I ended up with the choice of going to the Catholic school in the Midwest, or the Catholic school in the Midwest 😂. So the factor that made me choose Creighton is that I just got better vibes from its medical community, and in my experience as a student, I can honestly say that I think the school does a great job of accepting students with agreeable personalities -- everyone here is very down-to-earth and my peers have been an absolute pleasure to work with. Furthermore, the attendings and residents that I've encountered so far are also excellent, and don't fit the stereotypical mold of old-school medicine whose physicians PIMP you until your eyes bleed out.

2) Overall, I like it and I would consider staying here for residency. There are certainly factors about it that I don't like (mainly I think this city has the worst drivers on the face of this earth, and I also dislike the humidity), but there are also a good number of fun things to do on the weekend, and if nothing else, this city has a fantastic restaurant and bar scene. OH and also, the cost of living is very reasonable for a city this size.

3)
Favorite:
i) this past week that I just had on my otolaryngology rotation has been hands-down the best academic experience that I've had at this school. I'm really vibing with this specialty, and I'm very confident that I'll end up wanting to pursue a surgical residency <3
ii) as a Catholic, I love that this is a Catholic school and there are many cool/unique opportunities that flow from that (i.e, getting to take Catholic medical electives during your M1/M2 years, having Catholic student interest groups on campus, etc.)

Least favorite:
i) there were 3 blocks during our preclinical years that I didn't enjoy, not because they were poorly taught or anything like that, but rather because I disliked the subject matter themselves. But other than that, I can't really say that I have much to complain about :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

hi! thanks for doing this :)

can u describe some of the service opportunities that are available beyond what’s on the website? i am curious about the different ways i could engage w the community there

1) The other school that I got accepted into was Saint Louis, so I ended up with the choice of going to the Catholic school in the Midwest, or the Catholic school in the Midwest 😂. So the factor that made me choose Creighton is that I just got better vibes from its medical community, and in my experience as a student, I can honestly say that I think the school does a great job of accepting students with agreeable personalities -- everyone here is very down-to-earth and my peers have been an absolute pleasure to work with. Furthermore, the attendings and residents that I've encountered so far are also excellent, and don't fit the stereotypical mold of old-school medicine whose physicians PIMP you until your eyes bleed out.

2) Overall, I like it and I would consider staying here for residency. There are certainly factors about it that I don't like (mainly I think this city has the worst drivers on the face of this earth, and I also dislike the humidity), but there are also a good number of fun things to do on the weekend, and if nothing else, this city has a fantastic restaurant and bar scene. OH and also, the cost of living is very reasonable for a city this size.

3)
Favorite:
i) this past week that I just had on my otolaryngology rotation has been hands-down the best academic experience that I've had at this school. I'm really vibing with this specialty, and I'm very confident that I'll end up wanting to pursue a surgical residency <3
ii) as a Catholic, I love that this is a Catholic school and there are many cool/unique opportunities that flow from that (i.e, getting to take Catholic medical electives during your M1/M2 years, having Catholic student interest groups on campus, etc.)

Least favorite:
i) there were 3 blocks during our preclinical years that I didn't enjoy, not because they were poorly taught or anything like that, but rather because I disliked the subject matter themselves. But other than that, I can't really say that I have much to complain about :)
Thanks so much for the awesome info!!!

Paid the fee but still saying not paid..??? I'm on microsoft edge..not chrome.

Paid the fee but still saying not paid..??? I'm on microsoft edge..not chrome.
that's odd for me it gave me the same issue but I was on chrome. Switching browsers and paying again made it work

hi! thanks for doing this :)

can u describe some of the service opportunities that are available beyond what’s on the website? i am curious about the different ways i could engage w the community there
Beyond the volunteer opportunities that are posted on the website, many (possibly most) of my classmates volunteer at organizations that aren't affiliated with Creighton. Omaha is sufficiently big and diverse enough that you can volunteer for pretty much any cause/population that you want. Also, one thing to be aware of is that our student government has two service chairman/chairwoman positions whose job is to find out about service opportunities and let everyone know about it. The two service chairs for my class usually send out a monthly email about organizations who are looking for more volunteers. Below is a screenshot (with some info redacted) of a spreadsheet that they sent out just to give you an idea of what the service chairs do for us:

Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 2.05.21 PM.png

Tried to make a payment today. Tested on chrome and microsoft edge. Gave me an internal server error 500 and the payment failed. Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited:

Dmed you!

Tried to make a payment today. Tested on chrome and microsoft edge. Gave me an internal server error 500 and the payment failed. Anyone else experiencing this?
I am also experiencing this and have tried it on chrome, safari, and firefox. Did you ever figure it out?

is anyone putting anything for the optional essay question?

I am also experiencing this and have tried it on chrome, safari, and firefox. Did you ever figure it out?

The problem fixed itself and I don't know how. I tried again the next day and it went through.

Does anyone know how many seats their Phoenix campus has? and is one more competitive than the other?

Does anyone know how many seats their Phoenix campus has? and is one more competitive than the other?
I have in my notes from when I completed the secondary that there is no difference in admissions standards, but I don’t have a source so someone please double check me

Was on the waitlist for them last cycle, there's around 120 seats if I remember correctly. Also admissions is blind to your campus choice, so no, not necessarily more or less competitive

Hey guys! Is anyone else getting a 500 "internal server error" whenever they click the additional information tab for this secondary? Did anyone figure out a way to troubleshoot the error?

Hey guys! Is anyone else getting a 500 "internal server error" whenever they click the additional information tab for this secondary? Did anyone figure out a way to troubleshoot the error?
I don't get that. Idk, maybe clear your browser cookies/cache or something?

So for the final prompt where you list the volunteering activity you've been involved with, is anyone copy and pasting from their primary? I don't know how to respond to these without basically regurgitating my primary W&As

So for the final prompt where you list the volunteering activity you've been involved with, is anyone copy and pasting from their primary? I don't know how to respond to these without basically regurgitating my primary W&As
Basically just a bit of editing since the character count is much shorter for these. So like literally the description of what it is and what I did

Basically just a bit of editing since the character count is much shorter for these. So like literally the description of what it is and what I did
thank you! I ended up doing that, just getting straight to the point.

Interviews supposedly start here on September 1st. Yet this thread is quiet. Next week will be the week I guess 🔥

OOS II Complete 7/16
LM 72

LM: 72, 4Q CASPER; NC ORM, Traditional
2024-2025: 1°: 31 || 2°: 31 || II: 2 || A: 0 || WL: 0 || R: 0 ||

Last edited: