2024-2025 North Carolina - Chapel Hill

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2024-2025 UNC - Chapel Hill Secondary Essay Prompts:
  1. Describe an experience where you attempted a task and realized during the process that you were not ready for it. How did this experience impact your approach to trying new things? (250 words)
  2. How will your life experiences foster a positive educational environment and benefit your future patients? (250 words)
  3. Discuss your involvement in a service activity that has impacted your understanding of healthcare and your desire to pursue a career in medicine. (250 words)
  4. What motivates you to apply to the UNC School of Medicine? (250 words)

Good luck to all applying!
Interview Feedback:
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, I am a 2nd year medical student at UNC. If you guys have any questions about the curriculum, life in chapel hill etc, please feel free to either reply to me here or send me a DM. Good luck to everyone!
 
OOS verified 5/28 just got secondary
  1. Describe an experience where you attempted a task and realized during the process that you were not ready for it. How did this experience impact your approach to trying new things? (250 words)
  2. How will your life experiences foster a positive educational environment and benefit your future patients? (250 words)
  3. Discuss your involvement in a service activity that has impacted your understanding of healthcare and your desire to pursue a career in medicine. (250 words)
  4. What motivates you to apply to the UNC School of Medicine? (250 words)

other essays for reapplicants/special programs
 
OOS verified 5/28 just got secondary
  1. Describe an experience where you attempted a task and realized during the process that you were not ready for it. How did this experience impact your approach to trying new things? (250 words)
  2. How will your life experiences foster a positive educational environment and benefit your future patients? (250 words)
  3. Discuss your involvement in a service activity that has impacted your understanding of healthcare and your desire to pursue a career in medicine. (250 words)
  4. What motivates you to apply to the UNC School of Medicine? (250 words)

other essays for reapplicants/special programs
is there prompts for MD-MPH for special programs? if so, can you share please?
 
2024-2025 UNC - Chapel Hill Secondary Essay Prompts:
  1. Describe an experience where you attempted a task and realized during the process that you were not ready for it. How did this experience impact your approach to trying new things? (250 words)
  2. How will your life experiences foster a positive educational environment and benefit your future patients? (250 words)
  3. Discuss your involvement in a service activity that has impacted your understanding of healthcare and your desire to pursue a career in medicine. (250 words)
  4. What motivates you to apply to the UNC School of Medicine? (250 words)

Good luck to all applying!
Interview Feedback:
For Q3, when it mentions a service activity, does it have to be a community/volunteer activity or can I mention any clinical experience where I've served patients? (CNA, EMT)
 
Hi guys! I interviewed at UNC last cycle and am on the waitlist right now but I am reapplying. I still haven’t gotten my secondary for UNC. Is anyone else in this situation/know what to do or expect?
 
Is there any logic to picking who we want to interview with? Am I only supposed to say research faculty or clinical faculty too?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would believe it.

UNC is very very focused on keeping its students in state. Public NC universities in general are that way, it's a large focus of the state (read: ECU literally not accepting anybody from OOS). They want taxpayers' children attending their schools and they want them to graduate as physicians who plan to stay in the state and serve NC residents.
 
I would believe it.

UNC is very very focused on keeping its students in state. Public NC universities in general are that way, it's a large focus of the state (read: ECU literally not accepting anybody from OOS). They want taxpayers' children attending their schools and they want them to graduate as physicians who plan to stay in the state and serve NC residents.
Damn…didn’t see it till it was too late lol. I sent it as an OOS although I am moving to NC in the early fall. Not sure how I can communicate that to them since residency or ties wasn’t asked on the app
 
Damn…didn’t see it till it was too late lol. I sent it as an OOS although I am moving to NC in the early fall. Not sure how I can communicate that to them since residency or ties wasn’t asked on the app
They did have a spot to put your RCN resident number, maybe you can do the online interview and see if you qualify and give them an update over email.
 
They did have a spot to put your RCN resident number, maybe you can do the online interview and see if you qualify and give them an update over email.
RCN is very strict. The state likely won’t grant it to you just because you’re moving there, so youd still be considered OOS. NC wants overwhelming proof of domicile (not just residency)
 
Damn…didn’t see it till it was too late lol. I sent it as an OOS although I am moving to NC in the early fall. Not sure how I can communicate that to them since residency or ties wasn’t asked on the app
You can always communicate it in an update letter or try and work it into another question!
 
Friendly reminder that UNC doesn’t take updates! But they have zoom office hours on Fridays and the link is online and the adcoms are so friendly! If you want to pop in there I’m sure they’d be happy to lyk what to do 🙂 or email ofc!
Oh I didn’t realize! Thank you jmflower3!
 
Just curious, is there any difference (such as in a negative light) in how a reapplicant is viewed in determination for an interview or acceptance at UNC?
 
Just curious, is there any difference (such as in a negative light) in how a reapplicant is viewed in determination for an interview or acceptance at UNC?
I can't speak to UNC specifically but an adcom at my school (T20) told me that they understand how competitive the process is and that being a reapplicant is more typical than you think. What they really want to see is that you identified your weaknesses and worked on them over the year. If you did, it can be a point of strength for you, if you didn't then it's a bad look.

But like I said, I can't speak from UNC's perspective specifically. Just trying to be helpful 🙂
 
So I completely missed the memo about a hard deadline for UNC, and now I'm locked out of answering their secondary prompts... I hate how this process does this sometimes.

Would it be even worth it to reach out to admissions and ask for an exception? They mention if you have a "legitimate" reason, they can make exceptions...
 
So I completely missed the memo about a hard deadline for UNC, and now I'm locked out of answering their secondary prompts... I hate how this process does this sometimes.

Would it be even worth it to reach out to admissions and ask for an exception? They mention if you have a "legitimate" reason, they can make exceptions...
It's always worth a shot. Worst they can say is no.
 
So I completely missed the memo about a hard deadline for UNC, and now I'm locked out of answering their secondary prompts... I hate how this process does this sometimes.

Would it be even worth it to reach out to admissions and ask for an exception? They mention if you have a "legitimate" reason, they can make exceptions...
Consider what they might mean by legitimate, when i see this i assume life threatening. Otherwise they may see an email reach out as entitlement where others acted responsibly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I completely missed the memo about a hard deadline for UNC, and now I'm locked out of answering their secondary prompts... I hate how this process does this sometimes.

Would it be even worth it to reach out to admissions and ask for an exception? They mention if you have a "legitimate" reason, they can make exceptions...
Dumb question. Is the deadline specified anywhere?
 
The deadline was in the email they sent with access to the secondary application
Like what Yuumi said, the deadline was there in the email. What tripped me up I guess was that the email didn’t have much formatting and was a lot of just black text. And there wasn’t any indication of the deadline on the secondary portal, like with UCLA’s.

I only figured out when I tried to complete the secondary 1 day post-deadline and all the text fields were greyed out 😅
 
Have you been out of school for reasons other than routine vacations, disability-related reasons, or school-related activities?

For this question, does out of school include graduation? I already graduated but I chose no. I'm probably overthinking it though.