2025-2026 U North Carolina - Chapel Hill

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 IS A- got off the waitlist!!!! call this morning at 9:30 EST, interview 1/8!!! second year applying and my first acceptance!!! if you are seeing this is a sign that your time is coming soon!!!!
 
Hello, Friendly M1! Could you share if the clusterf*** of an admissions process is indicative of our four years ahead? I'm nervous to attend now given how poorly this was run compared to other schools I applied to. Is it all smooth sailing once you're in?
Hello, I'm also a current M1 or whatever you call us during the summer transition phase. Thankfully, my experience was that the issues with communication during the admissions process was NOT representative of the overall experience. I was also nervous about this during my cycle because my undergrad had HORRIBLE communication and I did not want to go through that again. It seems to me that the admissions department is the main source of this issue and they are essentially not involved once you're matriculated. Also, both last cycle and this cycle they seemed to have staff turnover right during this phase of applications, so I think that makes it worse. Obviously communication is not perfect, but I was glad that it was much better once we were in classes. I have also found the main admin that we interact with to be very receptive to feedback and have been proactive about implementing changes based on that so far.
 
Thank you for the info! How do you feel about the attendance schedule? I know people say it’s best to choose a school with optional attendance, but didn’t know how much weight that should hold.
Hello, I'm also an M1. There are some varied views in our class of course, but the overall consensus seems to be that people appreciate the attendance requirement overall (this is of course somewhat skewed by the fact that all of us knowingly chose a school with a mandatory attendance policy, lol). For me, it is helpful to have that extra push to be there, but it also helps to know that I'm not going to be one of the only people showing up. They have an excused absence system that can be tricky (especially as a student with chronic illness struggles) but they do try to give notice for things that cannot be planned to miss. Also, I know they made a lot of changes to the attendance and absence policies based on student feedback from the year before us, so they have been receptive in that regard. My personal experience is that they talk about it a lot more seriously than they implement it. It really comes down to your preference and what you think will work for you. I was already someone who just went to class anyway, so it aligned well with my natural tendencies. I definitely wish sometimes for a little more leeway just because of the relentless pace of med school, but I've been able to utilize sick days when I need them for the most part (the policy explicitly states that sick days are meant to cover mental health needs as well).