2023-2024 North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 North Carolina - Chapel Hill Secondary Essay Prompts: (changed from last year)

1. Describe an experience where you attempted a task and realized during the process that you were not ready for it. How did this experience impact your approach to trying new things? (250 words)

2. How will your life experiences foster a positive educational environment and benefit your future patients? (250 words)

3. Discuss your involvement in a service activity that has impacted your understanding of healthcare and your desire to pursue a career in medicine. (250 words)

4. What motivates you to apply to the UNC School of Medicine? (200 words)

5. Reapplicant essay available if you are one

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hurry Up GIF

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received a secondary yet? I’m IS and I have heard nothing so far

Members don't see this ad :)
Can a current applicant who has received the secondary for UNC please post the questions? Or confirm they are the same questions as the most recent cycle? I have a mentee who wants to work ahead a little, and I don't want them to invest in different prompts. Thank you so much! Good luck, everyone!

Can a current applicant who has received the secondary for UNC please post the questions? Or confirm they are the same questions as the most recent cycle? I have a mentee who wants to work ahead a little, and I don't want them to invest in different prompts. Thank you so much! Good luck, everyone!
no one has gotten one yet...

Reactions: 1 user
anyone have any idea why unc might be taking so long to send their secondary out? just curious...

anyone have any idea why unc might be taking so long to send their secondary out? just curious...

I assumed it was a calculated decision to release the secondaries today on account of the fact that the Barbie movie also comes out today and they really don’t want us to enjoy our weekend :(

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc

Here are the secondary essay prompts:

Prompt 1: Describe an experience where you attempted a task and realized during the process that you were not ready for it. How did this experience impact your approach to trying new things? (250 words)

Prompt 2: How will your life experiences foster a positive educational environment and benefit your future patients? (250 words)

Prompt 3: Discuss your involvement in a service activity that has impacted your understanding of healthcare and your desire to pursue a career in medicine. (250 words)

Prompt 4: What motivates you to apply to the UNC School of Medicine? (200 words)

***I do not have access to the reapplicant essay (the portal won't even let me select it to see the question), so it would be great if someone else could contribute that if applicable

Reactions: 1 users
After submitting the secondary application, did anyone get an "application submitted" email or confirmation of payment? (I didn't get either)

My portal just says "Application Submitted: July 21, 2023." There isn't any space to check for my LORs or anything else.

After submitting the secondary application, did anyone get an "application submitted" email or confirmation of payment? (I didn't get either)

My portal just says "Application Submitted: July 21, 2023." There isn't any space to check for my LORs or anything else.
I cant even log back into my portal. It says my email is not registered into their system for some reason

If we did dual enrollment at a community college during high school, should we list that under academics?

Has anyone else not received a secondary yet? I'm IS and was verified before June 30..
Also IS, was verified before June 30th, and haven't received it either. A little worried because I am a re-applicant.

Likewise IS and have not received yet. It may be that those on the waitlist will not receive until that officially closes tonight.

IS secondary received today. Re-applicant, primary submitted on 6/17, verified 7/24.

Did those on the waitlist receive an official rejection yet? I have not received anything, but it's day 2 of orientation so I assume it's coming.

Any reapplicant not able to select reapplicant on the first page of the seconday menu?

Any reapplicant not able to select reapplicant on the first page of the seconday menu?
I had the same issue and emailed admissions. They said IT is working to fix it!

Has anyone not yet received a secondary application from UNC?

3. Discuss your involvement in a service activity that has impacted your understanding of healthcare and your desire to pursue a career in medicine. (250 words)
For this question, I have two service activities that are relatively similar in their takeaway message/impact on my pursuit of medicine. Do you think it'd be alright to include two or should I just focus on one since the question is asking for an activity, singular?

For this question, I have two service activities that are relatively similar in their takeaway message/impact on my pursuit of medicine. Do you think it'd be alright to include two or should I just focus on one since the question is asking for an activity, singular?
Should be fine to use 2 examples, if you would like to share what you gained from each.

Did the reapplicant issue get fixed for anyone yet? I was told by admissions that they fixed it, but my portal still won't let me select it.

I assume as a reapplicant we have to wait to submit our secondary until they fix it? It kind of sucks that I would have to wait a few days when I already finished it but I don't want to send any false information.

Still nothing? I reached out to them today, no answer yet. My primary was verified at earliest possible date, so am surprised supplementary hasn't shown up yet.
I received two days ago. Reapplicant and IS, so probably I received later than others.

Was anyone's reapplicant selection thing preselected to yes without an issue? I could have sworn that mine was correct, so I submitted, but now idk if I my eyes just glazed over it and I accidentally submitted incorrect info? It won't let me see what I submitted when I log back in, so now i don't know what to do....
mine was correct too

I submitted the sec but no verification emails. Does anyone also have this issue?

I submitted the sec but no verification emails. Does anyone also have this issue?
I just submitted (literally a minute ago) but didn't get an automatic email like most other schools send for the submission and the payment. The portal says "Application Submitted: August 02, 2023" so I assume it's fine

Per the UNC secondary email: "Please note, we do not send emails indicating that your file is complete--your applicant portal will have updates, and you will find the following information on your status page--check it frequently!"

Per the UNC secondary email: "Please note, we do not send emails indicating that your file is complete--your applicant portal will have updates, and you will find the following information on your status page--check it frequently!"
thank you!