2024-2025 Oklahoma

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
same i was told they removed the cap and are admitting a lot more OOS. i interviewed october 16, probably won't hear back for another few weeks or so
They definitely said at the tour last weekend that they removed the cap this year. The admissions person later said it was to give more OOS students a chance. It’s also why they increased the number of interviews.
 
They definitely said at the tour last weekend that they removed the cap this year. The admissions person later said it was to give more OOS students a chance. It’s also why they increased the number of interviews.

I really don’t appreciate them not being transparent with the earlier interview groups about this. Most public universities favor their in state applicants , so this along with the fact Oklahoma has a super bad physician shortage , really is disappointing on OU’s behalf.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there any other states that have just one MD school, but with no cap on OOS matriculants? The HSC is set to increase its seats to help with the physician shortage in Oklahoma but I feel like having no cap on OOS matriculants negates it completely.

Another school I interviewed at said that most students will end up practicing in their home state near their family…so yeah out of state students generally will end up moving back to their home state to practice medicine.
 
I honestly can’t see them making too big of changes. In past years their interviewed mcat average is 515 and matriculated is 509. Which means a bunch of super competitive OOS are taking other offers. I think they are trying to capture a demographic of slightly less strong OOS applicants so they don’t have as big a discrepancy. I think chances are they only raise OOS by 5-10%. I don’t think they suddenly become 40-50% OOS.
 
I honestly can’t see them making too big of changes. In past years their interviewed mcat average is 515 and matriculated is 509. Which means a bunch of super competitive OOS are taking other offers. I think they are trying to capture a demographic of slightly less strong OOS applicants so they don’t have as big a discrepancy. I think chances are they only raise OOS by 5-10%. I don’t think they suddenly become 40-50% OOS.
I sure hope this is the case. I can't understand why they would remove the cap on OOS entirely if they wanted to raise OOS by 5-10%. MSAR shows that less than 10% of matriculants (16/176) were OOS last cycle, so HSC could just accept more OOS without removing the 25% cap. The fact that they removed the cap altogether makes me suspect that they will end up taking way more OOS.
 
Are there any other states that have just one MD school, but with no cap on OOS matriculants? The HSC is set to increase its seats to help with the physician shortage in Oklahoma but I feel like having no cap on OOS matriculants negates it completely.
Colorado - CU’s in state preference is negligible at best and it’s the only MD school. I’m sure there are other states where this also happens.
 
They definitely said at the tour last weekend that they removed the cap this year. The admissions person later said it was to give more OOS students a chance. It’s also why they increased the number of interviews.
That's interesting..cause USnews said they accepted 20 out of 23 OOS who interviewed last cycle. So post II acceptance rate going down i'm guessing.
 
When do you all think I'll hear back by if I interviewed last week? Some people on here interviewed in September and haven't heard anything while some people I know who also interviewed then already got offers. This wait is actually killing me.
Read back through - depends on your score
 
Colorado - CU’s in state preference is negligible at best and it’s the only MD school. I’m sure there are other states where this also happens.
Really thought it was a state law in Oklahoma for the 25% cap thing, but it looks like I’m wrong. I thought most state schools had in-state bias haha
 
Really thought it was a state law in Oklahoma for the 25% cap thing, but it looks like I’m wrong. I thought most state schools had in-state bias haha
Prior to the flyer that’s on the “Class of 2028 profile” section of the website, the “Class of 2027 profile” mentioned that the reagent has a mandatory 75% in-state entering class. So it is state law. For the class of 2027, they had 160 of the 176 students be in-state. I’m assuming they’re interviewing more OOS students to fill the additional 25 seats this year because not all of the in-state interviewees are good enough.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's interesting..cause USnews said they accepted 20 out of 23 OOS who interviewed last cycle. So post II acceptance rate going down i'm guessing.
Someone should ask at the next tour bec at the last one, they specifically said that the 75% no longer applied starting this year. As did the admissions person speaking to people individually at the end who said OOS applicants had a better chance of getting in now.
 
Really thought it was a state law in Oklahoma for the 25% cap thing, but it looks like I’m wrong. I thought most state schools had in-state bias haha
Yeah I'm also shocked the 25% cap wasn't an actual law. Also, I think most state schools do have in-state bias; Colorado is the only one that I know of that has more OOS people than in-state (103 OOS, 78 IS). Some of them are even more heavily biased than OU; MSAR shows that Arkansas has 171 IS and 4 OOS.
 
We need someone who already had their interview and got in somewhere else to take one for the team and ask admin their score.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I emailed an admissions faculty member and they definitely did not tell students their rankings on the tour day nor will they tell you if you ask them. There's misinformation being spread on this forum.
Not true. The admissions person specifically told me my score, as she did several others who were there. Said that she wanted to be “as transparent as possible.” She had the computer in her hand to look up people’s score and tell them. So, the misinformation is coming from admissions now, or maybe they’re just shocked anyone was doing that because most of us were. Though a glimmer of transparency in this process was a breath of fresh air.
 
Last edited:
Not true. The admissions person specifically told me my score, as she did several others who were there. Said that she wanted to be “as transparent as possible.” She had the computer in her hand to look up people’s score and tell them. So, the misinformation is coming from admissions now, or maybe they’re just shocked anyone was doing that because most of us were. Though a glimmer of transparency in this process was a breath of fresh air.
Did you get above an 85?
 
Not true. The admissions person specifically told me my score, as she did several others who were there. Said that she wanted to be “as transparent as possible.” She had the computer in her hand to look up people’s score and tell them. So, the misinformation is coming from admissions now, or maybe they’re just shocked anyone was doing that because most of us were. Though a glimmer of transparency in this process was a breath of fresh air.
Yea, I want to support this claim. There were others in the thread talking about this too so it's def not misinformation. Not sure what the email to admission said but if we want to get technical, we were only given our scores in a vacuum; there was no mention of where we "ranked" in relation to other interviewees.
 
To those who went on the tour…. Did you begin the tour in the basic sciences building? I showed up this morning and nobody was to be found anywhere lmaooooo
There should have been white coats scattered around outside, by the roundabout and parking garage.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad