You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 USC (Keck)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
really? do we have any more info on them not liking why us essays? curious
2023-2024 University of Southern California (Keck)
is it true that Keck dosent recommend that we use the optional essay as "why us"? Seriously? I just submitted a couple hours ago with a "why us"...
This is what I found on last year's thread - obviously do what you think is best, I'm not an adcom, but I figured a gap year essay works too
+1 IS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
waitlistwarrior729
New Member
also unable to submit. I keep getting an error messageIs anyone having trouble submitting?
D
deleted1175312
Interviewed last year, Dean Arias is very much an advocate for no nonsense. I think this is a case where that extra essay could hurt you if it’s poorly written. I wrote about wanting to get into primary care last year, but might write about what’s changed since my last app this year.
just got an email from USC asking me to upload a headshot lol
Any MD-PhD applicants received a secondary?
same! was this after you submitted ur secondary?just got an email from USC asking me to upload a headshot lol
Yeah like 2 hours latersame! was this after you submitted ur secondary?
Did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting?
hascott0102
New Member
For the secondaries like the nickname one, it says 65 words or less (max. 550 characters). Which aspect should we abide by? For instance, my response is 540 characters which totals to around 90 words.
I think general consensus is limit it to 65 words because they do specifically say it in the instructionsFor the secondaries like the nickname one, it says 65 words or less (max. 550 characters). Which aspect should we abide by? For instance, my response is 540 characters which totals to around 90 words.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was looking for a confirmation email, haven't gotten one yet after submittingDid anyone get a confirmation email after submitting?
Wondering the same thing - haven't heard a peep from them yetAny MD-PhD applicants received a secondary?
+1 INTL MD-PhD
solarflare1230
Full Member
did anyone get a complete email yet? I submitted and didn't even receive a confirmation
I did not get a confirmation or a complete email, I just got an email requesting my photo a few hours after I submitteddid anyone get a complete email yet? I submitted and didn't even receive a confirmation
pineappleninja
New Member
Are there extra MD/PhD essays?OOS MD/PhD secondary received
1. List your publications and papers submitted including one or two sentences describing your role on each publication. (250 word, max. 1,800 characters)Are there extra MD/PhD essays?
2. Please indicate fields of study for which you have a special interest. For example: Anatomy, Biostatistics, Molecular Biology, Systems Biology, Epidemiology, Bioengineering, Human Genetics, Neurosciences, Biochemistry, Immunology Nutrition, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology Biophysics, Physiology, Cancer, Other
3. Please provide the names of faculty with whom you would like to meet, if invited for an interview. For each faculty member suggested, provide a sentence or two explaining why you would like to meet that person. (250 word, max. 1,800 characters)
@wysdoc
HonorPlant
Full Member
How do I know if my application is complete?
As of rn, we have no idea. No confirmation emails sent out yet afaikHow do I know if my application is complete?
trumpet298
Full Member
im still not able to submit....
medschool99238
Full Member
For the optional essay are people doing "why us" or "gap year"? Is "why us" bad to include?
Also, are for "Do you have a friend or family member who is enrolled in the M.D. program at the Keck School of Medicine of USC?" is there any advantage to putting yes?
Also, are for "Do you have a friend or family member who is enrolled in the M.D. program at the Keck School of Medicine of USC?" is there any advantage to putting yes?
They are asking this so a family member won’t be assigned your file or interview youFor the optional essay are people doing "why us" or "gap year"? Is "why us" bad to include?
Also, are for "Do you have a friend or family member who is enrolled in the M.D. program at the Keck School of Medicine of USC?" is there any advantage to putting yes?
squirmywiggle123
Full Member
is anyone unable to submit a photograph?
The AMCAS Liaison portal takes a few days to notify you if your application is complete. If you assigned the correct letters and submitted your secondary, your application is complete. Just take a chill pill.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ajshjdfhkajsdhfjk
Full Member
Is anyone else still not able to submit? I contacted admissions but they haven't responded.
would using diversity prompt for the additional information work?
No. Just leave it blank. I read using it as any other prompt rather than a legit additional info prompt is a bad idea.would using diversity prompt for the additional information work?
ahh ok thank you!No. Just leave it blank. I read using it as any other prompt rather than a legit additional info prompt is a bad idea.
So I did have a manuscript in review that I was second author of when I submitted my primary. It recently got published, do you think it would be worth using the space just to address that or would that be better in an update letter later?
Either one works.ahh ok thank you!
So I did have a manuscript in review that I was second author of when I submitted my primary. It recently got published, do you think it would be worth using the space just to address that or would that be better in an update letter later?
They don’t accept updates!ahh ok thank you!
So I did have a manuscript in review that I was second author of when I submitted my primary. It recently got published, do you think it would be worth using the space just to address that or would that be better in an update letter later?
Hyun Chong
Full Member
I mentioned how I enjoy fitness & exercise in multiple prompts. Would talking about how exercise fixed my hypertension and low back pain/disc bulge be a good use of the “anything else” prompt? I’ve used the topic for an adversity essay, but in this case it also adds more context to one of my favorite hobbies.
Maybe but airing out your health problems could also be seen as a red flag. I speak from experience. If you decide to go down this route, do it in a “tasteful” manner if that makes senseI mentioned how I enjoy fitness & exercise in multiple prompts. Would talking about how exercise fixed my hypertension and low back pain/disc bulge be a good use of the “anything else” prompt? I’ve used the topic for an adversity essay, but in this case it also adds more context to one of my favorite hobbies.
Hyun Chong
Full Member
It’s just low back pain from being out of shape lmao, not some crippling condition that left me in a wheelchair or impairs my cognitive/decision making abilities. I appreciate the concern, but I’m not that worried about being stigmatized; low back pain is practically a rite to adulthood in any industrialized nations.Maybe but airing out your health problems could also be seen as a red flag. I speak from experience. If you decide to go down this route, do it in a “tasteful” manner if that makes sense
good luck! Huge respect to the hurdles that international applicants have to face.international secondaries received!
ok thenIt’s just low back pain from being out of shape lmao, not some crippling condition that left me in a wheelchair or impairs my cognitive/decision making abilities. I appreciate the concern, but I’m not that worried about being stigmatized; low back pain is practically a rite to adulthood in any industrialized nations.
7. If you answered yes to previously applying to medical school, please provide an explanation on what occurred with your application process or previous matriculation to medical school (550 characters):
what's the right way to answer this question?
are they looking for an explanation of how you have improved your application, or details about how the last cycle went due to flaws (ex: # of interviews received / applied too late due to MCAT date ) because of the phrase "what occurred with your application process"?
what's the right way to answer this question?
are they looking for an explanation of how you have improved your application, or details about how the last cycle went due to flaws (ex: # of interviews received / applied too late due to MCAT date ) because of the phrase "what occurred with your application process"?
Reflect on what occurred, possibly a weakness of your previous application and the steps you took to address it7. If you answered yes to previously applying to medical school, please provide an explanation on what occurred with your application process or previous matriculation to medical school (550 characters):
what's the right way to answer this question?
are they looking for an explanation of how you have improved your application or how the last cycle went because of the phrase "what occurred with your application process"?
Received official "application complete" email a few moments ago
SushiSphinx
Full Member
Just received complete email. Submitted secondary 7/25
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received complete email. Submitted secondary 7/25
+1
+1Just received complete email. Submitted secondary 7/25
Did that email make anyone’s heart race?
YepDid that email make anyone’s heart race?