2024-2025 Arizona - Phoenix

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
200.gif
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I was accepted to UACOM-P and am looking for some advice from current students. What does the daily schedule look like as far as how much in person vs. virtual work there is MS1/MS2? My husband and I have bought a house and I will have to commute a bit but am curious as to how much I will have to commute for the first two years - I am fully prepared to get an apartment closer to campus MS3/MS4. Thank you for any input!
 
akatie[emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]]]] said:
Hello, I was accepted to UACOM-P and am looking for some advice from current students. What does the daily schedule look like as far as how much in person vs. virtual work there is MS[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]/MS[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]]? My husband and I have bought a house and I will have to commute a bit but am curious as to how much I will have to commute for the first two years - I am fully prepared to get an apartment closer to campus MS[emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]]/MS[emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]]]. Thank you for any input!

Current student here- happy to answer any questions- for the first blocks of MS1 year expect to be on campus nearly every day as the year progresses on average ~2-3 days per week depending on when your doctoring day is. Several students in our class commute as well, if you have more specific questions feel free to reach out individually 🙂
 
Current student here- happy to answer any questions- for the first blocks of MS1 year expect to be on campus nearly every day as the year progresses on average ~2-3 days per week depending on when your doctoring day is. Several students in our class commute as well, if you have more specific questions feel free to reach out individually 🙂
This might be a stupid question - when you say every day do you mean M-F? Or weekends included? And how long are days in the beginning? Thank you so much for your reply!
 
does anyone know if this school accepts letters of intent (or if a letter of intent does anything in the first place)? I’ve been on the AC list for a while and this is my top choice, I don’t want to regret not doing everything I can to show them I care about this school.
 
does anyone know if this school accepts letters of intent (or if a letter of intent does anything in the first place)? I’ve been on the AC list for a while and this is my top choice, I don’t want to regret not doing everything I can to show them I care about this school.
Unfortunately they do not accept letters 🙁
 
This might be a stupid question - when you say every day do you mean M-F? Or weekends included? And how long are days in the beginning? Thank you so much for your reply!
M-F for mandatory stuff but lots of extracurriculars take place on the weekends. 8-5 the first 2 weeks and then a mix of full and half days after that.
 
does anyone know if this school accepts letters of intent (or if a letter of intent does anything in the first place)? I’ve been on the AC list for a while and this is my top choice, I don’t want to regret not doing everything I can to show them I care about this school.
did you see any trend how the AC have changed to A , how many A do you think will be sent out as of now i see only 139 sent out
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kind of a random question but given reveal of the new upcoming ASU medical school location, can any current students or people in the area comment on how it will impact the availability of rotation/research opportunities? Seems like a tight squeeze with already multiple med schools in Phoenix.
ASU’s clinical partner is HonorHealth whereas UA’s primary clinical partner is Banner Health. Honor has expanding a lot in the recent years, acquiring 5 more hospitals this year and planning on building more across AZ. I’ve worked at Honor for years and I’ve seen few UA students choose those hospitals, most choose to rotate around Banner’s major hospital, Banner University MC in Phoenix.

Working at both health systems, I’d choose Honor any day. They take care of their staff and nurses which I didn’t experience at Banner. With Honor’s huge expansion and plans to open more trauma level 1 centers across AZ to reduce the strain on the more inner city hospitals (one in the works in the east valley) I don’t see any shortage of rotations in Phoenix.

If I didn’t plan on starting this cycle, I would have been very excited to apply to ASU’s program. UA’s program is more established though and outside of the Banner hospitals, UA students rotate through many hospitals in the area including Valleywise (AZ’s only burn center), Phoenix children’s (AZ’s only pediatric trauma level 1), and the VA hospital. The added plus is Phoenix is huge and having a rotation across the city isn’t a big deal imo since you can cross the city fairly fast, unlike most major cities.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ASU’s clinical partner is HonorHealth whereas UA’s primary clinical partner is Banner Health. Honor has expanding a lot in the recent years, acquiring 5 more hospitals this year and planning on building more across AZ. I’ve worked at Honor for years and I’ve seen few UA students choose those hospitals, most choose to rotate around Banner’s major hospital, Banner University MC in Phoenix.

Working at both health systems, I’d choose Honor any day. They take care of their staff and nurses which I didn’t experience at Banner. With Honor’s huge expansion and plans to open more trauma level 1 centers across AZ to reduce the strain on the more inner city hospitals (one in the works in the east valley) I don’t see any shortage of rotations in Phoenix.

If I didn’t plan on starting this cycle, I would have been very excited to apply to ASU’s program. UA’s program is more established though and outside of the Banner hospitals, UA students rotate through many hospitals in the area including Valleywise (AZ’s only burn center), Phoenix children’s (AZ’s only pediatric trauma level 1), and the VA hospital. The added plus is Phoenix is huge and having a rotation across the city isn’t a big deal imo since you can cross the city fairly fast, unlike most major cities.
I think it’s interesting they are starting classes before the med school facilities will be done in 2028. I’d be concerned about the quality of preclinical, especially with no sim labs or dedicated anatomy lab (would they share an anatomy lab with the undergrads?).
 
Used the Match Day Photos and recap video to fill in the rest!

SpecialtyProgramCityState
AnesthesiologyUofA TucsonTucsonAZ
AnesthesiologyRiverside Community HospitalRiversideCA
AnesthesiologyUSCLos AngelesCA
AnesthesiologyNYP - Weill CornellNew YorkNY
AnesthesiologyOHSUPortlandOR
DermatologyMayo Clinic AZScottsdaleAZ
Emergency MedicineCopa HealthPhoenixAZ
Emergency MedicineCopa HealthPhoenixAZ
Emergency MedicineUniversity of Nevada Las VegasLas VegasNV
Emergency MedicineSUNY Downstate NYBrooklynNY
Emergency MedicineUT Ascension St. ThomasNashvilleTN
Family MedicineCreightonPhoenixAZ
Family MedicineDignity East ValleyGilbertAZ
Family MedicineUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
Family MedicineUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
Family MedicineUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
Family MedicineUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
Family MedicineUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
Family MedicineKaiser San DiegoSan DiegoCA
Family MedicineMethodist Hospital SacramentoSacramentoCA
Family MedicineKaiser San DiegoSan DiegoCA
Family MedicineUCLALos AngelesCA
Family MedicineUC IrvineIrvineCA
Family MedicineKaiser Napa SolanoNapaCA
Family MedicineUC DavisDavisCA
Family MedicineCommunity Health IndianapolisIndianapolisIN
Family MedicineUniversity of New MexicoAlbuquerqueNM
Family MedicineSwedish First HillSeattleWA
General SurgeryCreightonPhoenixAZ
General SurgeryUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
General SurgeryUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
General SurgeryUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
General SurgeryUCLA HarborTorranceCA
General SurgeryUCSF/HighlandSan Francisco/OaklandCA
General SurgeryUT HoustonHoustonTX
General SurgeryMedical College of WisconsinMilwaukeeWI
General SurgeryWVUMorgantownWV
Internal MedicineWVUMorgantownWV
Internal MedicineUofA TucsonTucsonAZ
Internal MedicineMayo Clinic AZScottsdaleAZ
Internal MedicineScripps Green San DiegoLa JollaCA
Internal MedicineAlameda Health HospitalOaklandCA
Internal MedicineUCLALos AngelesCA
Internal MedicineChildrens Los AngelesLos AngelesCA
Internal MedicineBoston UniversityBostonMA
Interventional RadiologyUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
Interventional RadiologyYaleNew HavenCT
Neurology-ChildStanfordStanfordCA
NeurologyBarrowPhoenixAZ
NeurologyBarrowPhoenixAZ
NeurologyUofA TucsonTucsonAZ
NeurologyUofA TucsonTucsonAZ
NeurologyUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
OBGYNUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
OBGYNUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
OBGYNKaiser Los AngelesLos AngelesCA
OBGYNUniversity of New MexicoAlbuquerqueNM
OBGYNSwedish Medical CenterSeattleWA
Orthopaedic SurgeryBuffaloBuffaloNY
Orthopaedic SurgeryUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
Orthopaedic SurgeryUniversity of IowaIowa CityIA
Orthopaedic SurgerySouthern Illinois UniversitySpringfieldIL
Orthopaedic SurgeryCorewell HealthRoyal OakMI
Orthopaedic SurgeryUniversity of Nevada Las VegasLas VegasNV
PediatricsUC DavisDavisCA
PediatricsUSCLos AngelesCA
PediatricsChildren's Hospital of PhiladelphiaPhiladelphiaPA
Physical Medicine & RehabilitationSpaulding/HarvardBostonMA
Physical Medicine & RehabilitationCasa ColinaPomonaCA
PsychiatryUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
PsychiatryUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
PsychiatryUofA PhoenixPhoenixAZ
PsychiatryUC IrvineIrvineCA
PsychiatryWalter ReedDCDC
PsychiatryTufts Medical CenterBostonMA
PsychiatryCentral Michigan UniversityMount PleasantMI
PsychiatryU of WashingtonSeattleWA
Radiation OncologyMayo Clinic AZScottsdaleAZ
Radiology-DiagnosticCreightonPhoenixAZ
Radiology-DiagnosticCreightonPhoenixAZ
Radiology-DiagnosticUniversity of ColoradoAuroraCO
UrologyMayo Clinic AZScottsdaleAZ
UrologyUofA TucsonTucsonAZ
Adding the 2024 Match List that was pieced together by last year's applicants. Looking forward to see the new match list next week!