This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I go for an SMP?

• Total voters

WhatAboutWho

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I retract my question, thanks for everyones help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not necessarily. Whats your MCAT? State of residence? Ethnicity?

I plan on takin the MCAT around January to really give me time to study.

White/Asian male (first gen on Asian side)

California resident (I know...)

Members don't see this ad :)
CA will make things harder for sure. Are you open to DO?

You are around the 10th percentile for many schools, with the trend it means its possible to gain an MD acceptance if you also have a strong MCAT and other aspects of your app.

The general advice I have heard is that when you are on the low side of things, but not so low youre out of range, try an app cycle before doing an SMP. There is a lot of risk/expense with one.

I would prefer an allo school but I know that if it won't happen, it won't happen.
What do my chances for a DO school look like?

Of course they say to score high on the MCAT and i can't outright predict my performance; but what would my chances be based on idk, a higher end score.

Thanks for taking the time

I would prefer an allo school but I know that if it won't happen, it won't happen.

Of course they say to score high on the MCAT and i can't outright predict my performance; but what would my chances be based on idk, a higher end score.

I think if you hit 513+ allo schools are in play, 505+ and you should be good for a lot of DO schools.

I would also recommend keep working on your ECs to make yourself more desirable in that regard.

If you are looking for a number, the best answer anyone can give is the AAMC matriculant data tables showing acceptance rate for GPA and MCAT combinations. You can find those linked at the top of the WAMC forum page.

Keep in mind thats just a general idea, there are a lot of factors that can help or hurt your actual odds.

Cool, thanks for your help!
Also, would you consider an MS in something like molecular biology?
(Something my pre health advisor suggested, but she also told me I had a slim chance at medicine in general)

Cool, thanks for your help!
Also, would you consider an MS in something like molecular biology?
(Something my pre health advisor suggested, but she also told me I had a slim chance at medicine in general)
What @gyngyn and other members have said on this forum many times is that a researched based masters does little to offset a poor undergraduate performance. If you do a masters, it should be an SMP.

But I do not think you need to be looking into any masters right now. With your trend and a strong MCAT, you can be academically an okay candidate. Focus on the MCAT, then clinical experience and community service.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks again Suave Cardigan for you input!, as this is an open forum. Does anyone else have any opinion?

It is pointless to speculate until you have a MCAT. 505+ and you're fine for most DO schools. 512+ and you could get MD IIs.

You've done all you can for the GPA. Get a good MCAT and apply DO/MD. You'll likely get into at least one DO with a good MCAT. Up to you if you want to go for the SMP and MD if you don't get in.