This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premed1000097

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently a Junior and just took my MCAT. My GPA will likely remain constant. Il resident. First generation college student, and both of my parents were born in another country.

A large part of my low-end GPA is due to my grandmother becoming paralyzed and needing constant care. I commute home about 4 times a week to help care for her, even though I live on campus.

Clinical Voulnteering:
EMT, +300
Hospital: Oncology and pediatric outpatient, +100

Non-Clinical:
Various community service hours throughout Chicago, +500
Honors College Tutuoring, 10hrs/week

Shadowing:
50 hours, OBGYN
30 hours, Orthopedic surgeon
20 hours, Primary care physician

Research:
+1500hrs AD research, 2 posters at national conventions

Work:
3 part time jobs, 30 hours/week, to help my parents pay for bills
School custodian, campus housing office employee, and research associate

Clubs:
Alpha Phi Omega, serive fraternity, vice president
Society of Future Physicians, secretary
Women in Science and Engineering, student mentor and tutor
Pre-Health Board member

School list:
Mayo (dream/reach) due to their passion for volunteer work
UW-Madison
UIC
UChicago (unlikely reach?)
Georgetown
Boston
Dartmouth
SLU
USC (Keck)

Should I remove any/suggestions on what else I should add? Or overall how can I improve my application? I just want to get in on my first cycle, though I prefer the schools on my list, I would be happy anywhere.

Thanks in advance!
 
If you are an Illinois resident add Northwestern, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin. Other schools you could try include:
Tufts
Vermont
Hofstra
Einstein
Tulane
Cincinnati
Medical College Wisconsin
Case Western
Pitt
Rochester
Virginia Commonwealth