Accepted to Nova Southeastern, not sure what to do now. Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD or DO?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ORMapplicantdeluxe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone thinks I'm a troll or a fool, please don't reply. I only want serious responses.

I applied in the 2013-2014 application cycle to both MD and DO programs. I just found out last week that I was accepted to Nova Southeastern. I've also been accepted to Saint George SOM and Saint James SOM.

Benefits of Nova:

higher chance of being matched into a US residency (more certainty)

Disadvantages:

Stigma of being a DO is still there despite what people will tell you. Whether true or not, a lot of people think DOs are second class doctors who were not good enough to get into MD programs.

Very expensive.

Benefits of St James:

I have a MD behind my name. My American patients won't know that it's a Carib MD and not a US MD.

Amazing school location. I can study in the beach and have a jolly good time.

Very affordable, especially if I choose St James over St Georges

Strong residency match list posted on their website. Offers green book rotations.

Disadvantages:

More uncertainty towards residency match, especially with the upcoming expected residency crunch.

Disadvantages of living in a third world island.

So what do you all think? I personally am leaning towards St James. In fact I'm heading down to Anguilla next week to check out the facilities. I know I can get a great 260 plus step 1 score so I can overcome the residency crunch and IMG stigma. Plus I get to scuba dive on a island while most people have to endure horrible weather in the US! Ha!

Members don't see this ad.

General consensus - US schools over all other schools. I'd stick with NOVA. It's easier said than done doing awesome on the Step 1.

If anyone thinks I'm a troll or a fool, please don't reply. I only want serious responses.

I applied in the 2013-2014 application cycle to both MD and DO programs. I just found out last week that I was accepted to Nova Southeastern. I've also been accepted to Saint George SOM and Saint James SOM.

Benefits of Nova:

higher chance of being matched into a US residency (more certainty)

Disadvantages:

Stigma of being a DO is still there despite what people will tell you. Whether true or not, a lot of people think DOs are second class doctors who were not good enough to get into MD programs.

Very expensive.

Benefits of St James:

I have a MD behind my name. My American patients won't know that it's a Carib MD and not a US MD.

Amazing school location. I can study in the beach and have a jolly good time.

Very affordable, especially if I choose St James over St Georges

Strong residency match list posted on their website. Offers green book rotations.

Disadvantages:

More uncertainty towards residency match, especially with the upcoming expected residency crunch.

Disadvantages of living in a third world island.

So what do you all think? I personally am leaning towards St James. In fact I'm heading down to Anguilla next week to check out the facilities. I know I can get a great 260 plus step 1 score so I can overcome the residency crunch and IMG stigma. Plus I get to scuba dive on a island while most people have to endure horrible weather in the US! Ha!

Why not spend some of that energy trying to get into a USMD school?

NSU is a fantastic school and had trained great physicians. If the stigma thing bothers you then go MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not spend some of that energy trying to get into a USMD school?

NSU is a fantastic school and had trained great physicians. If the stigma thing bothers you then go MD.

You don't understand, I'm going MD. The patients will look at the MD initials on my white coat and think I went to Harvard Medical School lol (of course I will correct them if they ask me).

From what I understand, despite the residency crunch, around 3000 residency positions will go towards IMGs in every match for the next 5-10 years. I do admit that 13,000 IMGs/FMGs competing for 3000 spots is daunting and not good odds. However I have confidence in myself and my ability to score a great Step I score. I'll just study 1000 hours more than the average medical school student for the Steps and get some awesome scores! I don't want to have to live with the D.O initials for the rest of my life and always be considered a second class doctor.

You don't understand, I'm going MD. The patients will look at the MD initials on my white coat and think I went to Harvard Medical School lol (of course I will correct them if they ask me).

From what I understand, despite the residency crunch, around 3000 residency positions will go towards IMGs in every match for the next 5-10 years. I do admit that 13,000 IMGs/FMGs competing for 3000 spots is daunting and not good odds. However I have confidence in myself and my ability to score a great Step I score. I'll just study 1000 hours more than the average medical school student for the Steps and get some awesome scores! I don't want to have to live with the D.O initials for the rest of my life and always be considered a second class doctor.
Judging by this post you already made up your decision

Reactions: 1 user
I was just joking, I won't pretend to be a US MD grad. However the point is, I won't have to because I'll just have an MD coat like all the other normal docs. Okay, worst case s.enario, I don't match in the US, big deal. I can get a job anywhere in the world. MD is recognized everywhere, unlike DO>

OK, now your trolling is getting very obvious.
trolling? how so?

snooty SDN members will have you believe that all URM applicants accepted to US medical schools are stupid filth. That all Carib MDs are stupid fith. That you need a 31+ and 3.6+ to even be considered in US medical schools. I hate the elitist viewpoint of so many SDN members.
posted any lie?

are my numbers true or not? Is it not true that 3000 residency slots will go to IMGs every match for the next 5-10 years? Then what's wrong with st james? especially since I know I will receive a 260+ step 1 score? why should anyone every choose the inferior DO over the superior MD? I will never be an OMS, only a MS, unless you prove me otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be banned immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Dude you can't post the same thread in multiple places.

why not? I posted in the allopathic thread because I figured the allopaths will no more about allopathic medical schools like st james. I posted in the osteopathic thread because I figured they will know more about Nova.

are my numbers true or not? Is it not true that 3000 residency slots will go to IMGs every match for the next 5-10 years? Then what's wrong with st james? especially since I know I will receive a 260+ step 1 score? why should anyone every choose the inferior DO over the superior MD? I will never be an OMS, only a MS, unless you prove me otherwise.
Go to St. James---and then let us know how you feel in 10 years.

I know that DO school admissions is becoming more competitive. Do you think in the future DO will be considered equivalent to MD by the snooty medical people? If so, I will reconsider Nova.

You should be banned immediately.

Yes I should be banned for pointing out the fact that many many premeds, patients and even doctors consider DO to be less than MD. The average MCAT score of a DO matriculant is 26. The avg. score for an MD matriculant is 31. People aren't dumb. They may not say it to your face but they will think less of you and that worries me.

It's easy for you to call me a troll and insult me online but this is my life. Before I invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in Nova, I need to know what my future will be like as a DO. Is the reputation of the DO degree going up?

Yes I should be banned for pointing out the fact that many many premeds, patients and even doctors consider DO to be less than MD. The average MCAT score of a DO matriculant is 26. The avg. score for an MD matriculant is 31. People aren't dumb. They may not say it to your face but they will think less of you and that worries me.

It's easy for you to call me a troll and insult me online but this is my life. Before I invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in Nova, I need to know what my future will be like as a DO. Is the reputation of the DO degree going up?

Reputation, in my opinion as a matriculating MD student (so not worth much…just jumping in here because you posted this on the pre-allopathic side, too), of the DO degree is going up. Evidence is the merging of residency programs. I will also say most people not in healthcare see a long white coat and assume "doctor" not "MD" or "DO" (my grandparents, for example, go to doctors about 3 times per week, and they are a mix of MD and DO and only realized there was a difference when I pointed it out to them…and then they kind of just said "oh that's nice" and kept right on with their life). Most importantly, you'll be have a greater likelihood of earning good money and doing what you presumably love - caring for people - if you go DO for the statistical reasons you listed (3,000 spots for 13,000 IMG graduates).

Overall, if you use the search function, you'll see many debates of Carib MD vs DO on SDN. The overwhelming belief here is the DO is the way to go (I believe what you see often in the threads is "MD=DO>>>>>carib"). If you came to SDN for advice on that topic, there it is. This thread isn't going to offer any new insights that aren't summed up in the dozens of other threads like this that I've succinctly summarized above.

If you disagree with the advice no worries, it isn't like SDN is a beacon of objective truth, but expect the types of incredulous answers you're receiving.

Last edited:

If you feel comfortable piggybacking on the success of other people then go for it.

Reputation, in my opinion as a matriculating MD student (so not worth much…just jumping in here because you posted this on the pre-allopathic side, too), of the DO degree is going up. Evidence is the merging of residency programs. I will also say most people not in healthcare see a long white coat and assume "doctor" not "MD" or "DO" (my grandparents, for example, go to doctors about 3 times per week, and they are a mix of MD and DO and only realized there was a difference when I pointed it out to them…and then they kind of just said "oh that's nice" and kept right on with their life). Most importantly, you'll be have a greater likelihood of earning good money and doing what you presumably love - caring for people - if you go DO for the statistical reasons you listed (3,000 spots for 13,000 IMG graduates).

Overall, if you use the search function, you'll see many debates of Carib MD vs DO on SDN. The overwhelming belief here is the DO is the way to go (I believe what you see often in the threads is "MD=DO>>>>>carib"). If you came to SDN for advice on that topic, there it is. This thread isn't going to offer any new insights that aren't summed up in the dozens of other threads like this that I've succinctly summarized above.

If you disagree with the advice no worries, it isn't like SDN is a beacon of objective truth, but expect the types of incredulous answers you're receiving.

Thank you for your honest and cogent response. At least you acknowledged that SDN does have it biases as well. I've also noticed that SDN members have a tendency to parrot what the majority of their fellow members are saying, even if they don't fully understand or appreciate what they are saying themselves. For example, if you ask a typical SDN member, they will tell you that the Caribbean is a last resort risky action ( which is true) and then say that there's pretty much no chance of receiving a US residency if you join a Carib med school now because of the upcoming residency crunch (which is not true). 3000/13000 does not equal 0. Though the odds are admittedly not good., they improve if you have high step scores and strong LORs from PDs (which is what I plan to do if I go the carib route).

Some SDN members also tend to dismiss the way a DO degree is looked upon compared to an MD degree. All my pre medical friends have bad opinions of DOs and one of the greatest insults they give to their fellow pre meds is by saying 'you can only be a DO, never a MD' So the bias is there, admit it.

Do whatever makes you happy. Even if that means going to a school that doesn't require an MCAT score lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

why not? I posted in the allopathic thread because I figured the allopaths will no more about allopathic medical schools like st james. I posted in the osteopathic thread because I figured they will know more about Nova.
"know" more not "no" more.

Also when you say, "Amazing school location. I can study in the beach and have a jolly good time." - this revealed your trolling quite nicely.

Reactions: 3 users
"know" more not "no" more.

Also when you say, "Amazing school location. I can study in the beach and have a jolly good time." - this revealed your trolling quite nicely.
looks like we have a mr. perfect here. and I stand by what I said, it is fun to study in the beach and I will have a jolly good time.

His Name, " ORMapplicantdelux" gave him away. 3 seconds after I read his first post I knew he was a troll.

His Name, " ORMapplicantdelux" gave him away. 3 seconds after I read his first post I knew he was a troll.
Yes I'm an ORM applicant and I do consider myself special hence the deluxe. How does that give me away again? and oh yes, in the SDN world, if anyone chooses an international top-notch medical school over a mediocre DO school, they are suddenly a troll? Your skills of deduction are quite admirable, my dear sir.

I'm leaning towards St James but I haven't decided yet. Apparently you all view St James in a very low regard. I suggest you go to their site and view their impressive match list. Dartmouth doesn't require mcat scores either, doesn't make it a bad school.

Nova is a good school and I would be happy to go there but I would really be pissed if I have to spend the rest of my life telling people that DO=MD and I'm not less in anyway. That will get old very fast. Can any one of you assure me that the prestige of DO will increase?

1400762041728.jpg

what is the point of this picture? you think my life is a joke? you want me to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and then end up a beggar on the street because residency program directors pick us mds over us dos and foreign mds? please this is my life, don't mock it so much. oh please don't.

You came on too strong, too early. You have much to learn in the ancient art of trolling, young padawan.

Yes I'm an ORM applicant and I do consider myself special hence the deluxe. How does that give me away again? and oh yes, in the SDN world, if anyone chooses an international top-notch medical school over a mediocre DO school, they are suddenly a troll? Your skills of deduction are quite admirable, my dear sir.

I'm leaning towards St James but I haven't decided yet. Apparently you all view St James in a very low regard. I suggest you go to their site and view their impressive match list. Dartmouth doesn't require mcat scores either, doesn't make it a bad school.

Nova is a good school and I would be happy to go there but I would really be pissed if I have to spend the rest of my life telling people that DO=MD and I'm not less in anyway. That will get old very fast. Can any one of you assure me that the prestige of DO will increase?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Seriously, will the mods close this thread already?

Reactions: 1 user
You came on too strong, too early. You have much to learn in the ancient art of trolling, young padawan.
congrats on being accepted to a DO program. do you think the prestige level of the do degree will go up by the time you graduate, my dear sir?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Seriously, will the mods close this thread already?

prove me wrong. dartmouth doesn't require mcat scores though they recommend it, just like st james. now if you don't like my thread, don't read it, my dear sir.

what is the point of this picture? you think my life is a joke? you want me to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and then end up a beggar on the street because residency program directors pick us mds over us dos and foreign mds? please this is my life, don't mock it so much. oh please don't.

Not often does a response get me to literally laugh out loud. I tip my hat to you sir.

troll_on_vacation_problem__by_semajz-d4t5cgt.jpg

You should go to St. James. It is the best decision you could possibly make given your goals and ambitions. You will definitely find a residency- all of the fears people have about not matching are unfounded for a unique and talented individual such as yourself.

You should use some of that time chilling under an umbrella on the beach to hone your trolling skills though, trolling is a art that requires subtlety, implications, and believability. You don't outright say Carib is better than DO because you can pass as a USMD, for instance, you subtly imply it, and make people come to the conclusion themselves. Young trolls, always so impatient...

troll_on_vacation_problem__by_semajz-d4t5cgt.jpg

You should go to St. James. It is the best decision you could possibly make given your goals and ambitions. You will definitely find a residency- all of the fears people have about not matching are unfounded for a unique and talented individual such as yourself.

You should use some of that time chilling under an umbrella on the beach to hone your trolling skills though, trolling is a art that requires subtlety, implications, and believability. You don't outright say Carib is better than DO because you can pass as a USMD, for instance, you subtly imply it, and make people come to the conclusion themselves. Young trolls, always so impatient...
OMG just stop!! stop busting my chops okay buddy! not everyone thinks that DO is god's own gift! and I'm okay with practicing outside the western world too so matching or not matching is not the end of the world. look no one is answering my question. will the do degree become more prestigious with time?

I truly am a master troll. I garnered so many replies and views.

Who am I really? I'm a beast, an alpha, an apex predator. A member of the ruling elite. I've just been accepted to a top 10 US MD program. Only losers go to carib md schools or us do schools. So I like to come to these threads and play around with you losers LOL.

Just remember, in the real world. The MD is the boss, the real doctor. The DO is the servant who brings the MD his tea LOLOLOLOL.

Y'all just jealous that I'm young, rich, powerful and accepted to a very prestigious MD program. Go have fun in your loser DO programs, LOL. I get all the hot chicks and you don't hahahahaha :)

Adios!

OMG just stop!! stop busting my chops okay buddy! not everyone thinks that DO is god's own gift! and I'm okay with practicing outside the western world too so matching or not matching is not the end of the world. look no one is answering my question. will the do degree become more prestigious with time?
It's cute that you think you can just waltz into a foreign country with a foreign degree and practice like a local because the letters are the same. And that they'll take you into a training program over a local grad. And that you'll have adequate language proficiency and cultural competence to practice there. And that DOs can't practice in like, 55 countries and counting. And that you aren't a troll...

Yes, the DO degree is carrying more prestige with time, but we don't really want people that are in it for the prestige, so please go to whatever godforsaken developing world medical school you've selected. (Except you haven't because you're a troll, which robs me of all of the fun of imagining you languishing through rolling blackouts and foodborne illness :()

Bye Felicia

Reactions: 1 users
I truly am a master troll. I garnered so many replies and views.

Who am I really? I'm a beast, an alpha, an apex predator. A member of the ruling elite. I've just been accepted to a top 10 US MD program. Only losers go to carib md schools or us do schools. So I like to come to these threads and play around with you losers LOL.

Just remember, in the real world. The MD is the boss, the real doctor. The DO is the servant who brings the MD his tea LOLOLOLOL.

Y'all just jealous that I'm young, rich, powerful and accepted to a very prestigious MD program. Go have fun in your loser DO programs, LOL. I get all the hot chicks and you don't hahahahaha :)

Adios!
Oh that was just corny and sad and fake. Come on, what are you, 12? Go back to hSDN and cook up something better for us v than this embarrassing crap. You don't puts people off with stuff that reads like the ish was so cash copypasta.

Oh that was just corny and sad and fake. Come on, what are you, 12? Go back to hSDN and cook up something better for us v than this embarrassing crap. You don't puts people off with stuff that reads like the ish was so cash copypasta.
lemme suck your sweet pink lollypop, or are you a homophobe too? ;)

A master troll is a thing of beauty to watch. They attack gracefully and subtlety, like a leech who produces numbing agent so it's victims cannot feel the creature sucking it's blood. They allude to taboo topics, toss grenades, JAQ off with ease, pushing enough buttons to cause world war 3 without alerting us to their true nature. They stay within the rules, never cross posting or posting swears. A true master troll lives in SDN history long after their eventual ban. You sir are no master troll, merely a bump in the road, soon to be forgotten.

A master troll is a thing of beauty to watch. They attack gracefully and subtlety, like a leech who produces numbing agent so it's victims cannot feel the creature sucking it's blood. They allude to taboo topics, toss grenades, JAQ off with ease, pushing enough buttons to cause world war 3 without alerting us to their true nature. They stay within the rules, never cross posting or posting swears. A true master troll lives in SDN history long after their eventual ban. You sir are no master troll, merely a bump in the road, soon to be forgotten.
looks like someone is butthurt because he/she isn't good enough for an MD program and has to make do with being a lowly DO. Have fone being a second class doctor your whole life LOLOLOLOL.

looks like someone is butthurt because he/she isn't good enough for an MD program and has to make do with being a lowly DO. Have fone being a second class doctor your whole life LOLOLOLOL.
My god I wish I could show you how it's done, this is just embarrassing. It's like watching a baby fumble around with an open container of lighter fluid next to a fireplace, just plain sad. Poor babby, he knows not what he does.

Reactions: 1 users
Have "fone" missing out on bone magic, lul.

Status
Not open for further replies.