AHHHHH!!! Stress Release Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnyslippers

Purdue SVM Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't help but make this thread because all of this waiting is driving me certifiably insane! It's the middle of January so vet school gods can you please, please, please grace me with some news, hopefully good news, soon!

Besides classes and work what are you all doing to keep yourselves busy and your minds occupied with something other than this loooooonng process?

Members don't see this ad.

It's the middle of January so vet school gods can you please, please, please grace me with some news, hopefully good news, soon!

Hello Bunny Slippers. This is the vet school god. I have some good news for you. It's going to be hot and sunny this weekend. Let me know if there's anything else we can do. :D

It's going to be hot and sunny this weekend. Let me know if there's anything else we can do. :D

::looks outside at the snow:: YOU LIE!!!

You might be in sunny California, but it is friggin' snowing in NJ!

As far as what am I doing to pass the time....I think compulsively checking email kind of defeats the purpose, but that is what I'm doing aside from class and work!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not only do I have the snow, but I'm studying for the GRE's and my homework! Ughhh..

The object of the game is to move the red block around without getting hit by the blue blocks or touching the black walls.

If you can go longer than 18 seconds you are phenomenal. It's been said that the
US Air Force uses this for fighter pilots. They are expected to go for at least 2 minutes.

Give it a try but be careful...it is highly addictive!!

Air Force Test

My best is only 23 seconds so far!

Ok, so this might not count as stress release but for me it gets me more excited about vet school and definitely passes the time.

I like to read the past few years of blogs from vet students that I failed to become obsessed with previously (see thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=587004 )

I also like to read vet related books because it has the same effect of making me more excited about vet school (see thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=581117 ) I just recently finished If Wishes Were Horses by Loretta Gage, DVM and she describes her 4 years in vet school, it scared me a little. And now I am starting Marley and Me so that I can finally see the movie when I'm done.

Hahah I have actually started using my gym membership as a way to burn off stress! There is an insanely hard kickboxing class that wipes me out pretty good, I don't even WANT to check my email after doing that for an hour.

My other stress-release activities are: watching every episode of the old british All Creatures Great and Small series on Netflix (hahah very obsessive but better than email checking), and doing LOTS of agility practice :)

BTW, I have never read If Wishes Were Horses, I will probably go buy it today! Thanks for the tip!:cool:

BTW, I have never read If Wishes Were Horses, I will probably go buy it today! Thanks for the tip!:cool:

The book is out of print but you can find it used. The book scared me a bit, too. It seems like she went to school with a lot of jerks. I read it when it was new in 1994 and didn't apply to vet school until now. :)

Try "All of My Patients are Under the Bed" by the great cat doc, Louis Camuti. He made house calls all over NYC treating cats only. Cornell has the Camuti Memorial Feline Consultation Center in his honor.

flyhi, I got up to almost 2 minutes on that thing once! Do you believe that? I won't say how long it took me to manage it, though. Nor will I attempt to do it again. :D

flyhi, I got up to almost 2 minutes on that thing once! Do you believe that? I won't say how long it took me to manage it, though. Nor will I attempt to do it again. :D

NO WAAAAAY :eek:. That is incredible!! It goes in the same pattern, but still! I was a jet pilot and still can't do it :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get really bored try memorizing the number pi.

When I actually tried to remember it I was able to remember the first like 125 digits. But I having not looked at the number in almost 6 years I have forgotten it down to the first 50 or so.

isketch.net

pictionary!!

3.14159!

That's all I know.

And that's because of one episode of 3rd Rock From the Sun where John Lithgow's character does a cheer for the football team.

"Sine, sine, cosine, sine! Three point one four one five nine!"

Ok, so this might not count as stress release but for me it gets me more excited about vet school and definitely passes the time.

I like to read the past few years of blogs from vet students that I failed to become obsessed with previously (see thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=587004 )

I also like to read vet related books because it has the same effect of making me more excited about vet school (see thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=581117 ) I just recently finished If Wishes Were Horses by Loretta Gage, DVM and she describes her 4 years in vet school, it scared me a little. And now I am starting Marley and Me so that I can finally see the movie when I'm done.

I'm reading If Wishes Were Horses currently and I get really frustrated with the book. It's good to read as it gives a glimpse of one persons experience while in school. I also like how personal she gets with inner conflict but she still does what is expected of her so it kind a seems like a moot point :rolleyes:. It's just not my fav. However, for some reason the line, “I cut my life to the bone.” Still keeps running through my mind. The book has given me lots to think about.

If you get really bored try memorizing the number pi.

When I actually tried to remember it I was able to remember the first like 125 digits. But I having not looked at the number in almost 6 years I have forgotten it down to the first 50 or so.

HAHA! I got my Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics. I did this once and everyone thought I was a freak. I looked at it for about an hour and I still remember about the first 50 or so...

Here's a nifty song to help: http://pi.ytmnd.com/

Last edited:
And that's because of one episode of 3rd Rock From the Sun where John Lithgow's character does a cheer for the football team.

"Sine, sine, cosine, sine! Three point one four one five nine!"

I just read this and laughed hard enough that my supervisor across the hall came and shut my door. I heart john lithgow so much. Thanks for the hilarity, twelvetigers.:laugh:

gosh darn... KoL is definately addictive

like I had time for that, gee thanks :p

No problem!

If you want to join a clan, I'm in mightypants. My main character is deathwokclan (yes, I'm so into this game that I have three different characters...)

It's seriously one of the most brilliant games I've ever played, even though the art is just stick figures.

Look up Jeff Dunham on youtube, his is such an awesome ventriloquist. All his puppets have there own personality, its hilarious.

I have been to a gym less than 5 times throughout my life and last week I finally started working out to release stress. I would recommend it to all the applicants who are in incredible stress just like me.. My hair started falling out a lot and I got dandruff first time in my life.. After working out, it all got better and I'm feeling a lot better as well.. An other thing that works: Sauna! I could never stay in sauna for more than 5 minutes, now I can stay up to 20 minutes because I think that all my negative thoughts towards becoming an unsuccessful applicant this year are leaving me the longer i stay in and it really helps... I guess not hearing from vet schools helped for one thing: getting back into shape! I know one thing at the end of this semester for sure: Even if I don't get in anywhere, I'll be in shape and will be ready for the summer ! :)

:whistle: This is the song that never ends, yes it...

...started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll...

I know this thread died out a while ago, but I have a video I'd like to add (not vet related):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

Many of you may have seen it - it's been around a while for sure. If you haven't, though, I do hope you enjoy it. I first saw it over a year ago and to this day I still start to cry every time I watch it. No matter what.

Just overly eager to share, I suppose. :)

I know this thread died out a while ago, but I have a video I'd like to add (not vet related):

Many of you may have seen it - it's been around a while for sure. If you haven't, though, I do hope you enjoy it. I first saw it over a year ago and to this day I still start to cry every time I watch it. No matter what.

Wow-that is incredible (loved Simon's face!) Did he win??

Hey twelvetigers! Thanks for the post.. I had an interview yesterday and was so stressed out that I couldn't sleep.. this video helped me relax a little.. (I still had nightmares but was able to go to sleep at least!)

Anybody else sick of constantly checking their email/current mailbox/permanent mailbox/phones??? This has been, and will continue to be, the most stressful period of my life! :eek:

(Of course it'll be worth it in the end, though!)

I feel the same way. I think it was easier right after the application was sent... until people started getting interviews which planted the seed of anxiety. After one interview, one rejection, and waiting on two others to respond it's crazy. I think the worst part is that if you get wait listed you could still get an acceptance in July/August. Oh well, if we get in it's all worth it.:thumbup:

I feel the waiting angst. This is my second round of waiting and it seemed easier at first, but now it's in full blown panic/anxiety. After having an interview I can't seem to get it off my mind! There's a girl I work with who interviewed at the same school and every time we see each other it's horrible because all we think about is waiting until march 15th. I know it will be worth the wait, but I just want to know already!!! I'm only so patient :confused:

Anybody else sick of constantly checking their email/current mailbox/permanent mailbox/phones??? This has been, and will continue to be, the most stressful period of my life! :eek:

(Of course it'll be worth it in the end, though!)

YES! Can't stand it anymore :diebanana:

I have a 'code word' for my favorite person in the whole wide world. I told him that when i send an email labeled "AVOCADO" he better call immediately. It means i have received either email or USPS correspondence from said school and that i will wait for him to call before i open it.

Soooo, i had an AVOCADO scare yesterday. Got a huge manila envelope from the school. My heart was racing. This was IT. I sent out my AVOCADO telegram and we found out that it was some BS admin correspondence. ARGHHHHH. Guacamole.

Then, today i check the mail and all i have is the ridiculous 4 page local newspaper in my mailbox. The first word i see on the front page is "Veterinarian". Some story about some traveling Vet in the area. Maybe it's an omen.

Time to go to bed and wait for the vet school dreams/nightmares to begin :scared:. Please make it go away :xf:

Flyhi.... The code word is such a cool idea! Sorry all the envelope had inside was BS stuff. I am so glad that everyone else is about to go nuts from waiting. Now I don't feel so bad about stalking my email! LOL :D

I cried when I read the 'what did you do when you got accepted' thread. :oops:

I cried when I read the 'what did you do when you got accepted' thread. :oops:

Yeah...I almost did. I DID cry last year when I made the mistake of looking at the "Class of 2012" thread. Damn. I wonder what that's like...anyone ever read Jude the Obscure?

thunderhawk86, is that an Indian Star Tortise? I couldn't really see the pattern on the shell.

Yeah I think it is. The name rings a bell. I took the picture at Busch Gardens in Florida nearly a year ago. I love turtles so and it brought back good memories which helps me destress with all the veterinary news going on around here. :laugh: