This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

locotaco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just realized that I made an error in my work and activities section. For two of the contacts, I accidentally put my school email instead of theirs down. I have a phone number that is correct, but the email is so obviously mine- it has my last name and school. This is a huge mistake and was totally unintentional. I read over my app several times before submitting, but I somehow missed this part! I am afraid that adcoms won't see it as a mistake. I don't want it to seem like I am trying to cheat the admissions process by putting down my contact instead of theirs.

My app isnt verified yet. Should I withdraw and resubmit? Or wait until it's verified? Or contact the schools directly? I feel like contacting the schools will also make me look irresponsible because I submitted without catching such a huge error on my application.

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand it, once you withdraw you cannot re-apply so I would not suggest doing that. Not sure about making changes to a submitted primary...

So I just realized that I made an error in my work and activities section. For two of the contacts, I accidentally put my school email instead of theirs down. I have a phone number that is correct, but the email is so obviously mine- it has my last name and school. This is a huge mistake and was totally unintentional. I read over my app several times before submitting, but I somehow missed this part! I am afraid that adcoms won't see it as a mistake. I don't want it to seem like I am trying to cheat the admissions process by putting down my contact instead of theirs.

My app isnt verified yet. Should I withdraw and resubmit? Or wait until it's verified? Or contact the schools directly? I feel like contacting the schools will also make me look irresponsible because I submitted without catching such a huge error on my application.
Where Secondary prompts are appropriate, like, "Is there anything else you you want the admissions committee to know," add an addendum about corrected Contact information for . . . .

For other schools, inquire if emailed corrections will be added to your file. Many permit this. Others don't.

For some schools, where contacting the person is deemed important, you may be emailed for corrected information, if an internet search or call to the listed Organization aren't successful in finding him/her.

For the rest, hope no one notices. As pointed out above, if you withdraw your application, you are not allowed to resubmit for the 2016-2017 application season. And this isn't such an egregious error that you ought to go that route.