This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smm91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a 4th year DO student looking to apply for DR residency but I'm not too sure of my chances of matching and if I should risk it. I've talked to a few new residents at different programs and they said if I apply broadly I should have a good chance, but I'd like to know what you guys think.
My grades first 2 years were pretty good, always near the top of my class.
Comlex 1 - 540-550
Usmle 1 - 215-220
Waiting on level/step 2 scores.

I've got a LOR from a rads department head (although not from a residency program) and have 2 allopathic audition rotations lined up after discussing with the radiology coordinators my scores.
Most of my attending and residents I've worked with seem to like me (for whatever that is worth).
I have plenty of volunteering/EC experiences but no research.
I'm obviously not trying to match in a top tier program. I'll be happy matching anywhere.

Do I have any chance at all or should I be focusing my efforts elsewhere?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, there are tons of small community programs that would look at you. I would be surprised if you didn't match.

Reactions: 1 users
Anecdotal evidence, but a guy from my school matched into a decent MD rads program with no research, average COMLEX, and failed Step 1 (yes, failed). I'd think as long as you have some decent letters and don't blow the interviews you should be able to match somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of it will depend on your step 2 score but you have a >50% of matching. However, probably <10% chance of matching anywhere good or in any decent location.

How were you in the top of your class yet got a 215 on step 1? That is interesting to me

How is that not interesting? People above average should score above average on step...

Last edited:
How is that not interesting? People above average should score above average on step...
Possible choices
1) Bad test day
2) didn't UFAP hard enough
3) good (short term) memorizer
4) bad standardized test taker

If you apply broad enough, you'll match. Apply to places that have taken DOs regularly.

The next few years I predict will have decreased competition as the IR residencies start to mature and siphon off applicants.

Possible choices
1) Bad test day
2) didn't UFAP hard enough
3) good (short term) memorizer
4) bad standardized test taker

Yeah I understand but in my school the students at the top do very well on step 1 so that's why I was saying it was interesting/unfortunate how he did

How were you in the top of your class yet got a 215 on step 1? That is interesting to me

I was surprised/disappointed in my low score too, but I have always seemed to do better on in school exams than standardized tests. But I'm not using that as an excuse because it is what it is at this point.

Everyone else, thanks for the advice/comments. I'm hoping I had significant improvement on step 2. But I do intend on applying broadly and in particular to those with DO residents and graduates from my school.

So I'm a 4th year DO student looking to apply for DR residency but I'm not too sure of my chances of matching and if I should risk it. I've talked to a few new residents at different programs and they said if I apply broadly I should have a good chance, but I'd like to know what you guys think.
My grades first 2 years were pretty good, always near the top of my class.
Comlex 1 - 540-550
Usmle 1 - 215-220
Waiting on level/step 2 scores.

I've got a LOR from a rads department head (although not from a residency program) and have 2 allopathic audition rotations lined up after discussing with the radiology coordinators my scores.
Most of my attending and residents I've worked with seem to like me (for whatever that is worth).
I have plenty of volunteering/EC experiences but no research.
I'm obviously not trying to match in a top tier program. I'll be happy matching anywhere.

Do I have any chance at all or should I be focusing my efforts elsewhere?
Thanks

The competitiveness of radiology has coasted down in recent years. In the 2016 match there were 982 categorical PGY-2 positions offered, and while 96.4% of them were filled, only 67.3% were with US (MD) seniors. DO matches accounted for 82 of the positions.

Cast a broad net and play your cards decently and you should have no problem securing a spot.

One of my classmate matched an ACGME academic radiology program with COMLEX1 550 and USMLE 220. So you can do it. Just do well during 3rd year, step 2, and interview.

They should but doesn't happen all the time. Just like how people below average can score above average on step.