Anyone heard from Oregon State Yet???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Intel to DVM

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got accepted out of state last year (early February) but am going for in-state this year. I haven't heard anything yet other than that they have my application and everything is complete. Anyone else applying as a resident to Oregon State who had heard anything yet?

Thanks!
 
wooo another Oregon resident! So yeah, I am also in state and haven't heard a thing since that "application is complete" email. Since it took them two months to get that out I don't have any high expectations for hearing from them super soon, but I will let you know when I do. Here's hoping we both get interview invites!
 
I am OOS and met with some admissions people back in December just to take a tour and stuff. They said that IS should be hearing "soon" because they are planning on interviewing during the last 2 weeks of Feb.

They also said that they received about 340-400 OOS applications. We should start hearing anytime in mid March until they fill the class...

That being said, I haven't heard anything yet and don't expect to hear for many more weeks....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They also said that they received about 340-400 OOS applications. We should start hearing anytime in mid March until they fill the class...

That being said, I haven't heard anything yet and don't expect to hear for many more weeks....

So, I knew Oregon was going to be one of the harder schools to get into as an OOS, purely b/c of their small class size... but jeez, that many OOS apps and they only accept, what, 8-10 OOS students? :laugh: Not much hope for me (or anyone really, no offense, it just seems like such a lottery with those numbers), someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh well, I'll keep thinking positively until I hear otherwise :luck:

Good luck all!

And, kayakman-- what did you think of the campus/etc.?? I tried to go up for their open house but my plans fell through, I'd love to hear some impressions of the school.
 
I got in to Oregon last year (OOS) and didn't hear until late february if I recall. I don't know if their timeline was the same as this year but just a bit of FYI...
 
Hey stick! Thanks for the update and good luck to you! I'll post something if I get an interview letter (or...yikes!...a rejection letter).

Kayakman, unless they changed their policy, I don't think that OSU interviews OOS applicants. At least I wasn't interviewed last year. I received my acceptance letter Feb 2nd last year, by the way, so I expect that we all should be hearing something soon! Good luck all!
 
Starlene - I really like the Vet School at OSU. It is definitely smaller compared to other schools, but everything is state-of-the-art. Everything is relatively new...great small animal facilities and amazing large animal. I really like the campus as a whole. I can't speak highly enough of the facilities.

Intel - my reference to interviews was for In-State students; I know they don't interview OOS...

It definitely won't be easy to get in, but what Vet school is?

Here's to hoping!
 
I received my interview invite today by email! Interview is on 2/25. That happens to be the day after I get back from Illinois so here's hoping Chicago doesn't get attacked by snow/ice right then!

Good Luck to everyone else!
 
Anyone have an any inside info on when OSU is going to notify the lucky and very few accepted OOSers this year?
 
No news here yet in northern California!

Kayakman-- thanks for the info! This is a little random but do you happen to know what kind of imaging equipment they have there (MRI, CT etc)? I am kind of an imaging junkie...
 
...bumping up...

any news? any IS admits yet? OOS? IS'ers, how were your interviews, if you've had them already.

waiting is so annoying! :meanie:
 
I interviewed yesterday...my tour guide said it would probably be 2-3 weeks before we received decisions in the mail. I had hoped for notification sooner, since it is such a small class. The interview went pretty well I thought...the questions I was asked were definitely harder than my WSU interview, however. So, keeping my fingers crossed. I'm going to post interview feedback soon, before I forget all the questions they asked me. Good luck to anyone interviewing today!

Edited to Add: I just tried to post interview feedback, but Oregon isn't one of the schools on the feedback menu. I've emailed SDN to ask them to add Oregon...when they do, I'll post feedback.
 
Last edited:
I interviewed this week. It went way better than I expected. I would have post interview feedback too, but was hit with the same realization that Oregon State wasn't listed.
But, I have to say, I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and gleaned from all the interview advice and was consequently more prepared for the interview. So, thanks. Now I join the fray of everyone who is ... waiting.
 
Any news for OOSers? I haven't heard anything in quite a while...I know they only take a handful of OOS students, but it never hurts to hope!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BUMP...anyone? anyone? i hear echos haha.

I'm OOS and haven't heard a single peep from them, so I'm 99.99999% convinced that they've secretly rejected me along with Penn who I have yet to hear from. I'm too scared to muster up the courage and call them to confirm this though, I don't like getting bad news over the phone.

Oh, and I know that there was a post a while ago (weeks ago) where someone OOS said that they were already notified that they had been accepted.
 
Last edited:
Sorry I don't have any exciting news for you...

To calm your nerves, though, some OOS students are accepted early due to WICHE offers. People who are already accepted may fall under being a WICHE student (I know as a WICHE student for my school, you were offered spots at CSU, WSU, and OreState).

Good luck! If you have any Oregon questions I'm happy to answer them
 
I got in! YAY!!!! the interview was a little rough, at least I felt that way compared to the other two I did, but guess it wasn't tooooo terrible!

FYI, I was notified by email sent around 4:30pm today and it said that hard copies would be sent out within 5 business days.

Good Luck to everyone waiting!
 
oh no...i didn't get an email today. I don't think that bodes well for me. I thought the interview was a little rough also, compared to my interview at WSU, but not terrible by any means. i'm going to hope my email just hasn't come through yet. :xf:
 
I got in too! I can't believe it. I started shaking when I saw the email. I was really not expecting good news.
 
Aww, I'm sorry. That really sucks.

I don't know what all you applied to, but from what I've heard Oregon State generally will take you on your second application, especially if you've been waitlisted. I know a few local vets who had to apply two times to get in.
 
Just a heads up that final OOS decisions will be made next week.

Best of luck to all of us still waiting!
 
I have not received anything from them yet either! I emailed about 2-3 weeks ago, and they said final decisions would be made soon. It is almost April, so we definitely have to be hearing soon! Hopefully....
 
I made a phone call last Wednesday. The woman in charge of admissions said that she had wanted acceptances/rejections sent out by now. She was very nice and apologetic and said that she was going to notify us as soon as the board let her know. Don't they HAVE to notify us by April 1?
 
Hey Guys,

I was admitted OOS to Oregon, and am currently fretting over the decision. My biggest concern is how young the program is. I am afraid I may find that frustrating. That said, I went to visit and found it the most personable place. One of the professors on admissions took me out to dinner and bought me a beer.

So, what motivates you to go to OSU? What makes you apprehensive? Do you feel the small class size is a large benefit? Expressing our opinions will help us all choose.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oregon State has been added to the interview feedback page! I messaged them yesterday asking them to add it (maybe they were just waiting for enough people to ask?) who knows. It is there, so go leave feedback before you forget it forever!
 
Hey Guys,

I was admitted OOS to Oregon, and am currently fretting over the decision. My biggest concern is how young the program is. I am afraid I may find that frustrating. That said, I went to visit and found it the most personable place. One of the professors on admissions took me out to dinner and bought me a beer.

So, what motivates you to go to OSU? What makes you apprehensive? Do you feel the small class size is a large benefit? Expressing our opinions will help us all choose.

I don't think the youngness of the program is too much of an issue at this point. I believe the class of 2007 was the first class to go through the entire curriculum at OSU rather than going to WSU for small animal training. To me, that puts enough years between the start of it and now for them to get the major kinks worked out. No, they do not have some of the fancy schmancy stuff that some of the other larger schools do but in reality the majority of graduates aren't going to be using that stuff on a regular basis, so yes it is cool and probably good to know what an MRI is capable of doing, but essential to becoming a competent general practitioner? Probably not.

As an in-state resident the finances are definitely a big draw for me, but I actually did get a good feeling from it when I visited. I was a little concerned about the whole not having any radiologists on the faculty at the time, and does make me wonder a little if they tend to have trouble attracting and retaining people, but I don't really know how much turn over there is at other schools either.

I do think that the small class size will be a benefit. I went to a small undergrad and I think that it does help you get to know faculty better and you will get to know your classmates well, which I suppose could be both good and bad in some ways.

Now my real problem is that I have always been a Duck fan and I'm wondering how much I'll get beat up if I wear my UofO stuff around Corvallis ; )
 
Any OOSers get acceptance/rejections? It's getting close to April 15...I'd think they'd want to give us more time...............
 
Nope. I just emailed Kristin, and she said we would be receiving email notification hopefully within the next couple of days. She said nonresident decisions had been delayed for some reason. So, we should know really soon I believe.
 
Lots of OSU'ers!

Regarding the radiologist, I've been told they do have one that is slated to start this summer. (Thank goodness!)

Other than that, faculty has been fairly stable for the most part (in my opinion). Good luck guys!
 
Mylez: your presence reminded me of a question of utmost importance. Do vet students at OSU have a chance to get football tickets without skipping the 8am class to wait in line for them? Do we have the same shot at tickets as undergrads?

(my affection for the Beavers was an unintended side affect of my undergrad years at osu)
 
Any OOSers get acceptance/rejections? It's getting close to April 15...I'd think they'd want to give us more time...............

I know that schools have full right to be as slooooowwwww as they want and I'm probably only saying this because I doubt I'll be accepted this late in the game, but I still can't help but think that it's a little silly that it's April and we still haven't heard.
 
Bring it on! Maybe I should show up to the first day of class totally decked out in green and yellow.

Now to find some green/yellow pants...:laugh:

Yeah, then I'll know who you are and you'll be an easy target. 😀

(on another note, my sister decided to be a duck fan during the Civil War purely to be obstinate. I would've decked her, but my parents frown on physical violence)
 
Eeeh...I'm not much of a football buff, so I can't help you out with tickets. All of my friends who have been to the games never seem to have a hard time getting tickets, and every now and again the Dean's office gets tickets to give to students.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a weird email from them today apologizing for the delay in sending out nonresident offers, and asking if I was still interested in the program. The email was kind of a form letter, with an area for the recipients name and the sender's signature, but nothing entered into those areas. It just seemed a little weird-- I do kind of want to know where I stand with them . . . Sucks that this happened, though, it's kind of left me feeling weird about the school.

Does anyone know what this "delay" is about?
 
Oh my freaking goodness, I got an email saying that I was accepted OOS to Oregon!!!!

I've already accepted a seat at Purdue and sent in my deposit, but now I don't know if I should take a better look at Oregon which I thought I had no chance in hell at!

😕
 
Oh my freaking goodness, I got an email saying that I was accepted OOS to Oregon!!!!

I've already accepted a seat at Purdue and sent in my deposit, but now I don't know if I should take a better look at Oregon which I thought I had no chance in hell at!

😕

Congratulations! I say, consider both options...if you end up preferring Oregon, turn down Purdue. I don't think you should let the deposit worry you too much...you didn't have all the info when you sent it
 
Oh my freaking goodness, I got an email saying that I was accepted OOS to Oregon!!!!

I've already accepted a seat at Purdue and sent in my deposit, but now I don't know if I should take a better look at Oregon which I thought I had no chance in hell at!

😕

Come to Oregon! Oregon is awesome!