This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've only had a few interviews during this phase, so I am sitting with so much anxiety right now towards Match Day lol. I know we keep hearing "All it takes is one!" but my anxiety doesn't listen to that haha. Anyone else in this boat and have a different/better view on ranking only a few sites?

Especially after seeing the avg number of rankings submitted for those who match vs don't match in phase II for the last few years (6.7 & 2.8, respectively) :-/....I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that I may be staying in school another year...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Especially after seeing the avg number of rankings submitted for those who match vs don't match in phase II for the last few years (6.7 & 2.8, respectively) :-/....I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that I may be staying in school another year...

But I think it is about a fit. I got a good amount of interviews this phase but not optimistic at all bc they are all very structured, and said “best of luck” at the end... so hard to find the right person for me...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But I think it is about a fit. I got a good amount of interviews this phase but not optimistic at all bc they are all very structured, and said “best of luck” at the end... so hard to find the right person for me...

I'm with you on this one. The very formal/structured interviews were very frustrating to me. 1) Because they gave me very little insight about the site itself, and 2) provided much less opportunity for them to get to know me than a conversational style of interview would. Also, everyone I encountered who took a formal approach just seemed very tired and "over" the interview process. I guess when you ask the same questions over and over, it doesn't do much for engagement in the process.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm with you on this one. The very formal/structured interviews were very frustrating to me. 1) Because they gave me very little insight about the site itself, and 2) provided much less opportunity for them to get to know me than a conversational style of interview would. Also, everyone I encountered who took a formal approach just seemed very tired and "over" the interview process. I guess when you ask the same questions over and over, it doesn't do much for engagement in the process.

I agree that so much structure leaves little room to get a feel of the site/supervisors. I also dislike when sites don’t ask additional questions of what I respond with especially when presenting cases of my clinical work. It felt as thought they were so fixated on the questions and getting information down that they missed moments of genuine engagement as you noted. However, I had two great interviews where although the TD had set questions, the interactions felt more authentic and I felt listened too. I think it all circles back to fit.

Reactions: 5 users

Yes, I’m with you about fit but this is also a numbers game given that the entire match system rests on an algorithm. I assume that people are still applying to programs that align with their training goals/career aspirations regardless of the phase. I also wouldn’t read too much into what was said at the end. In phase I, I received a beautiful reply to my thank you email- like SUPER thoughtful with multiple examples of how I stood out during the interview. I forwarded it to my advisor and she all but convinced me it was a great sign and not a typical response...and I’m here in phase II lol I had a convo with a faculty member who has reviewed internship apps in the past and she told me the process is not as transparent as it may seem. Some programs give one training committee member the opportunity to veto nominations,etc. Unless the program has a new TD, I imagine most have gotten good at quickly screening applicants without the long drawn out recruitment day format. I have no doubt you’re a strong applicant and all of your materials we’re beautifully crafted! Wishing you the best!

Yes, I’m with you about fit but this is also a numbers game given that the entire match system rests on an algorithm. I assume that people are still applying to programs that align with their training goals/career aspirations regardless of the phase. I also wouldn’t read too much into what was said at the end. In phase I, I received a beautiful reply to my thank you email- like SUPER thoughtful with multiple examples of how I stood out during the interview. I forwarded it to my advisor and she all but convinced me it was a great sign and not a typical response...and I’m here in phase II lol I had a convo with a faculty member who has reviewed internship apps in the past and she told me the process is not as transparent as it may seem. Some programs give one training committee member the opportunity to veto nominations,etc. Unless the program has a new TD, I imagine most have gotten good at quickly screening applicants without the long drawn out recruitment day format. I have no doubt you’re a strong applicant and all of your materials we’re beautifully crafted! Wishing you the best!

I also had a similar experience in phase 1 lol, then I was crushed. I'm not really sure my situation because interviews were very hard, but I wish you the best of luck! It will all work out for us!

Reactions: 4 users
I also have the belief that it really will all work out. I was so committed to the sites I ranked in phase one and I feel like phase two opened my eyes to so many other opportunities. Also just the mere growth I feel like occurred within me having to persevere despite feeling so let down that I didn't match in phase one. I hope everyone is staying positive and taking care of themselves! Whether you match or don't match, after talking to so many faculty/supervisors who disclosed that they didn't match phase one or took a year, it seems how they view it now is that it really did work out in the end for them.

Received an email from Missouri Health Sciences Psychology Consortium stating that the Ped Neuro position (UM-DHP) has withdrawn due to losing funding. Did anyone interview for this specific track? I would have to assume that people have, otherwise I wouldn't expect them to believe they'd be ranked with any confidence.
As the supervisor for this track was out of town for the first week-ish of phase 2 (from what i heard) i doubt they interviewed anyone for this phase 2 position that they opened-then withdrew. I cant recall if they already had a spot filled in this track for phase 1 and just added a second for phase 2? So unfortunate that they couldnt follow through with it!

I also have not heard from Manhattan Psychiatric Center and I'm wondering if they are just going into Post-Vacancy because I haven't heard them mentioned at all. My last interview is in an hour and I'd love to just go ahead and certify my rank order.
I never heard from them either so I just wrote them off...

Reactions: 1 user
I never heard from them either so I just wrote them off...

I've basically written off the sites I haven't heard from - though I do sense a part of me hoping something happens. I've had nothing but radio silence today and wouldn't expect it to continue beyond today, but it's impossible to know unless a follow-up email is sent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you at all influenced by the low stipend for their positions?
Yes and no. Yes, they suck and other places give a lot more. That said, I live locally and I have a pretty decent housing situation so it’s likely to be worse for me to move than to stay even with the low stipend. But it does suck!

Does anyone on here have thoughts regarding why PMVS may be a worthwhile consideration for sites rather than interviewing people in Phase II? I am having trouble believing that receiving emails with attachments would be less of a hassle for sites than simply engaging in Phase II and filling any unfilled positions. Granted, the sites that are frustrating me the most may very well have interviewed people who are not on this thread.

Does anyone on here have thoughts regarding why PMVS may be a worthwhile consideration for sites rather than interviewing people in Phase II? I am having trouble believing that receiving emails with attachments would be less of a hassle for sites than simply engaging in Phase II and filling any unfilled positions. Granted, the sites that are frustrating me the most may very well have interviewed people who are not on this thread.
The only things I can think of are related to the time crunch of Phase II. While getting emails with attachments would be a hassle, from what I understand, sites may have more time to review applications during the PMVS. I could be wrong, though. And they may receive fewer applications during PMVS than during Phase II? Also could be wrong about that, but those are the two things that come to mind for me.

The only things I can think of are related to the time crunch of Phase II. While getting emails with attachments would be a hassle, from what I understand, sites may have more time to review applications during the PMVS. I could be wrong, though. And they may receive fewer applications during PMVS than during Phase II? Also could be wrong about that, but those are the two things that come to mind for me.

Fewer applications almost definitely. If the majority match in Phase II, and a portion of thse that don’t match in Phase II also decide to extend a year, the number of applications decrease dramatically. And I guess if you’re not worried about losing funding, there’s not really tons of pressure to fill that position, either.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if it’s okay for a site in phasw II to tell you whether or not they’ve ranked you (even if they didn’t specify how high)? Or does that still sound like it’s questionable?

Anyone know if it’s okay for a site in phasw II to tell you whether or not they’ve ranked you (even if they didn’t specify how high)? Or does that still sound like it’s questionable?

They can tell you if you’re being ranked (or not). They can’t tell you where on the list or ask if you are ranking them.

Personalized rejection email from Nebraska Western Iowa VA. Guess sites are still reviewing applications during the weekend!

I'm in the same boat. Although post-vacancy is a viable option, I think I'd rather take the time to gain more experience and hours to be that much more competitive next year. I don't want to pick something that I don't want and that doesn't fit just because I want to finish my program as quickly as possible. I want it to matter and make a difference in my degree.
I feel the same way. I feel like it's a big deal to settle for something you may not be completely satisfied with.

That was my impression, at least based on this thread. It's interesting considering the email stated that they hope the notification will allow for changes in ranking orders prior to deadline. Is this just an insignificant statement or are the chances of being ranked by sites without an interview slightly higher than originally thought?
Wait..so does that mean you can rank sites even you didn't interview with them? I'm confused.

Wait..so does that mean you can rank sites even you didn't interview with them? I'm confused.

You "can," yes. It's unlikely to be helpful but Phase II has always permitted this.

"One note: In Phase II, applicants may wonder whether or not to rank sites to which they submitted an application but were never contacted. While it is certainly acceptable to rank such sites, it is probably not necessary to do so, as sites will rarely rank applicants whom they haven't contacted or interviewed."

Thoughts about sending a thank you email to your very top rank and including in the email you will be ranking them “highly”? But obviously not saying how high. I saw an example of this online wording it that way but I’m not sure if would be worth it or turn the site off.

Thoughts about sending a thank you email to your very top rank and including in the email you will be ranking them “highly”? But obviously not saying how high. I saw an example of this online wording it that way but I’m not sure if would be worth it or turn the site off.

Seems like a grey area in terms of phrasing, on the verge of being risky. Personally, I would not say 'highly' because that does imply a placement, even if there are more specific terms that could be used. Should it be perceived as against policy, it could lead to negative outcomes. Instead, you could articulate this same fact in a manner that refers more to the very strong perceived fit, and you can also note that you will be ranking them.

Seems like a grey area in terms of phrasing, on the verge of being risky. Personally, I would not say 'highly' because that does imply a placement, even if there are more specific terms that could be used. Should it be perceived as against policy, it could lead to negative outcomes. Instead, you could articulate this same fact in a manner that refers more to the very strong perceived fit, and you can also note that you will be ranking them.
I had the same inclination as well. Thanks for the second thought!

It is this point in the process at which I wish status updates were required. Did a site not interview anyone or simply not send a rejection, do they plan on entering PMVS, did they remove the position? It would be nice to know as it relates to decision-making, even beyond ranking sites for which we did interview.

How is everyone doing? Has anyone heard any feedback about attending an apa accredited on contingency program?

How is everyone doing? Has anyone heard any feedback about attending an apa accredited on contingency program?
I think my TD said it just means they are very new and don't have enough data. It shouldn't be a problem at all... At least that's what I've heard.

I'm tired. Ready for Monday. Only ranked a couple places. I'd rather be in the spots I want or to do the extra year. Most of all I want sleep.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm tired. Ready for Monday. Only ranked a couple places. I'd rather be in the spots I want or to do the extra year. Most of all I want sleep.
So, so tired! I feel you on the ranking. I'm so torn between trying to go somewhere I will actually like or risk having to do an extra year if I don't rank places I don't love. I keep waffling and changing my rankings...I think I've reordered them about 10 times today lolz :/

So, so tired! I feel you on the ranking. I'm so torn between trying to go somewhere I will actually like or risk having to do an extra year if I don't rank places I don't love. I keep waffling and changing my rankings...I think I've reordered them about 10 times today lolz :/

I’ve been SO STRESSED about my rankings. For some reason this time is much more nerve wracking than ranking in Phase I. But, I think I’m satisfied and I’m gonna try really hard to not change them again and trust myself.

I think my TD said it just means they are very new and don't have enough data. It shouldn't be a problem at all... At least that's what I've heard.

Yep. It means they are accredited but they’re a new program that needs to collect a couple of years of data (typically this status lasts for 3 years) to show that they are providing the training they think they are offering. They’ve written a self study and passed the site visit to get this standing. It’s still a new designation so there isn’t a lot of data about how many go on to full accreditation status.

Are we allowed to ask sites whether we're ranked or not? Already submitted rankings and didn't send any follow up emails but I am just curious. I've been having radio silence after interviews and this makes me so nervous

Are we allowed to ask sites whether we're ranked or not? Already submitted rankings and didn't send any follow up emails but I am just curious. I've been having radio silence after interviews and this makes me so nervous

I believe most students who interviewed will be ranked as the sites also don’t want to do another round of interviews in PMV. However, I think if your interview didn’t go well or it was obviously not a good fit that is what may keep you from getting ranked in the end. You know at the end of the interview if it went well and/or if fit between the training and your experiences were there.

Hold off on asking now (and hold on, match day is almost here). If you don’t match then reach out to sites you interviewed in for both phases and ask for feedback on their experience of you.

Hold off on asking now (and hold on, match day is almost here). If you don’t match then reach out to sites you interviewed in for both phases and ask for feedback on their experience of you.
I'm giving myself a break from internship this week. If I don't match then I will see if anything fits in the post-match or wait a year. This is also a time to catch up on all the things that didn't get done in the past few weeks due to Phase II.

During this past month, I've watched this clip to help get me through the most stressful moments. Figured I might leave it here to in case it helps anybody else through the next few days of waiting.

I think it depends on the site. I had a lot of sites tell me “best of luck” with this process and one of them actually emailed me and told me they ranked me and said that they believed I was a good fit for their site. So, I would say that some sites just really wish you good luck with the ranking since you never know what will happen! (Maybe i’m just trying to stay super positive )

Wishing everyone the best of luck in this phase! Less than 24 hours of waiting remaining.

We survived another phase! Wish all of you the best of luck tomorrow, and hoping that you are able to get some rest today/this evening. I'm either going to get lots of things accomplished today, or nothing at all :)

Reactions: 8 users
Thinking about all of you and hoping you match with a wonderful site. Best of luck, friends!

Good luck to you all tomorrow. You are champions for getting through this, regardless of the outcome.

I hope everyone takes care of themselves tonight and tomorrow and remembers how hard you’ve worked no matter the outcome!

Almost there you guys. Sending best wishes to everyone!

Sending good vibes out there to everyone! And totally agree with Action_Potential. We worked our butts off and we are stronger and more resilient for going through this. Good luck, all!

Yes yes yes! Thank you everyone for the well wishes. I’m sending lots of good energy to everyone for a positive outcome in the morning. And if for some reason it doesn’t work out how you were hoping, we are still incredibly competent, intelligent, skilled, and badass future psychologists. We’ve worked so hard, and it will be over so soon and then onto the next phase, whatever that may be. I hope everyone has a restful evening ❤️

Matched to my first choice! Only ranked two sites, but was honestly hoping for first or none. Moving to cold weather against my phase 1 wishes hahah

Reactions: 29 users